• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One think I don’t get about Sony

Loxus

It's true that putting games on PC can effect PlayStation but running games on PC can be challenging at times and better to just keep playing on consoles.

None the less, the PS5 is a well built console. It just needed that extra punch in terms of GPU power, especially the RT performance.

The PS5 Pro is definitely needed.
My thoughts on the PS5 Pro was that it was a PS5 Refresh when I first saw Strix Halo.
5MkxmHR.png

Same 8 CPU Cores and 36 CUs but better RT and added AI Accelerators for upscaling.

The main points of this concept is that Sony is still only producing one chip and devs still only focus on the PS5, no need to worry about optimizing for the PS5 and a PS5 Pro. All improvements are system level and automatic.

Strix Point performs good with 16 CUs.

A PS5 Refresh with 36 RDNA3.5 CUs plus improved RT and AI upscaling would do wonders.

Senua

People sit on a CHAIR when using a pc. At least i do. Even if the PC is connected to the TV you still use the CHAIR to play. At least everyone i ve seen, thats what i mean. I havent seen anyone use a couch while gaming on PC
Its cringe for you maybe, but some people actually vote with their wallet
What the fuck lol. I use my sofa, among countless others

Between having to use a keyboard/mouse, installing drivers, troubleshooting issues, re-pairing controllers, downloading new launchers, etc., it’s just a marginal hassle over consoles.
Just because a driver exists doesn't mean you have to download it, the whole "installing drivers" argument is not a thing.
I once ran my previous pc for 24 hours every day for a year, so no driver updates, no reboots, and all the required "launchers" were installed on day one; basically no new programs or drivers were installed on it after setting it up.
It ran perfectly fine 24/7 365 days, until the release of GTA5, the game still ran, but improperly, it was the only one in all that time that actually needed a driver update to work properly; I'm just reading self made issues here, if "re-pairing" controllers is such a big issue, just get another one to use just with the pc and you will never have to "re-pair" anything ever again. 🙄

SNG32

Demons Souls, spiderman2, astrobot that launches in few weeks, ff16, ff7rebirth, rise of ronin, stellar blade- thats as a pc player i wanna play and cant, hence reason to buy ps5pr0, add to that many more exclusives and for example gta6 and buying pr0 is nobrainer even for pc player.
The thing phil spencer and all other xbox excecutives keep forgeting is- if u wanna make sure ppl buy ur console u gotta have plethora of high quality exclusive games for them to enjoy.
I got a PS5 to play all those games already I don’t need a pro. I can wait until the definitive version comes out on PC. Which will play miles better by that time then maybe a 10 frame difference that a pro would give me in comparison to a base PS5. The pro still has the same cpu so games like gta 6 might not be that much better than the base.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I got a PS5 to play all those games already I don’t need a pro. I can wait until the definitive version comes out on PC. Which will play miles better by that time then maybe a 10 frame difference that a pro would give me in comparison to a base PS5. The pro still has the same cpu so games like gta 6 might not be that much better than the base.

If you can wait on the PC version why have a PS5 at all? Personally I don't want to wait and if I'm going to own a console then I'm going to get the best version of that console. I sold my PS5 a month or so ago because the Pro is coming out. So clearly there is a market for a "Pro" console for folks like myself and I'm primarily a PC gamer.

SNG32

If you can wait on the PC version why have a PS5 at all? Personally I don't want to wait and if I'm going to own a console then I'm going to get the best version of that console. I sold my PS5 a month or so ago because the Pro is coming out. So clearly there is a market for a "Pro" console for folks like myself and I'm primarily a PC gamer.
I have a PS5 so I don’t have to wait to play it on PC in two years. I can wait for the visual upgrades and modding when the PC version releases. A pro console would only make sense to me if Sony was releasing exclusives just on Sony consoles or if I didn’t have a PS5 in the first place.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have a PS5 so I don’t have to wait to play it on PC in two years. I can wait for the visual upgrades and modding when the PC version releases. A pro console would only make sense to me if Sony was releasing exclusives just on Sony consoles or if I didn’t have a PS5 in the first place.

Makes sense to me. Like I said, I don't want to wait and I'll pay more for superior hardware particularly if it brings better upscaling tech to the table.

People sit on a CHAIR when using a pc. At least i do. Even if the PC is connected to the TV you still use the CHAIR to play. At least everyone i ve seen, thats what i mean. I havent seen anyone use a couch while gaming on PC
Surely this is a troll post right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a local and sound question, but the Pro PS5 Pro people will have none of it.
Both sides have valid points, some want the extra power but don't want the PC.
but they wasn't going anywhere so what's the point because it not the same as the PS4 Pro.
If anything they now have more reason to jump to PC.

EruditeHobo

Casuals don't and will never do this. This is not a valid option for the general public. I don't want a gaming PC in my living-room. No, thanks.

Consoles are cheaper and more convenient.

It's always hilarious to see PC people bend themselves into obtuse pretzels to avoid the incredibly obvious ease of consoles, and how they appeal to non-enthusiast gamers.

It's really not that fucking complicated. And that's coming from someone that has a decent gaming PC, with a large steam library... the appeal of consoles is really, really, really obvious. Even "pro" models.

Codes 208

By that logic, why make consoles at all?

Oh right, for the price and convenience. A pc on par with a base ps5 will still ring you up around $1.1k and a pro would be higher than that

Porting to pc just gives people more options while still staying within sony’s ecosystem

Last edited:

howitis3

This is definitely not true. Money has nothing to do with it. I know people that should not be buying anything at all considering the amount of debt they have building PCs with 4080s and I also know people that are the complete opposite.

I know multiple people that make a lot more money then me, work in technology, have nice houses, and expensive cars and they still only play on console/have no intention of ever playing on PC. There definitely are people who don't own a gaming PC only because they can't afford it but I don't think it's nearly as high as you think.
tech challenged.

howitis3

This is the reality of most people though. People who use their PCs for more than gaming are more than likely not going to want to go through the hassle of running a long HDMI cable through their house or pay the extra amount needed to wire it through their walls, just so they can use their PC in both an office and a living room. Your approach is the exception, not the rule.

For example, if I wanted to do a similar approach, I would have to run an HDMI cable from downstairs from my office, which is located on the front, left side of my house, to upstairs to my media room, which is on the opposite end: back, right side of the house. Thinking of my other friends' homes they would too either have to run a cable across floors or at least across the entire house to go from office to living room/media rooms. This just doesn't work for most people. It is fully dependent on the layout of your house and if you are okay with unsightly wires/trip hazards running across your house.

I never understand PC gamers who go on about this, without looking around them, seeing how they are the exception when compared to how most people want their homes set up.

I am a home audio enthusiast. I go the extra mile to setup my home theater the best that I can so the audio is the best it can be for the room. At my old town house, I ran speaker wire and speakers all over the living room, to get the best setup possible. In my current home, I have a dedicated room to setup exactly how I want. Too me, this is an easy setup. When in the town house, I was happy with speaker stands for large speakers being in my living room, because it was something I am into and is important to me. However, I also recognize I am the exception when compared to most. You go to most people's homes you are lucky if they have a soundbar paired with a subwoofer, let alone a full on home theater setup. Most people do not like the sight of speakers in their living space and/or just don't think it is worth it. Even though I think having a full home theater is the best way to watch movies and TVs, I do not claim how easy it is for everyone else to set something like this up. I also do not think I am somehow superior than those who do not prefer to go through the hassle of setting up a home theater. It is just a different preference on how people want to enjoy their entertainment.
why wouldn't you leave the work pc in the office and buy a gaming pc to put next to the tv?

1. Some people would rather play on their TVs, which can be annoying with PC.

2. Some people prefer the frictionless experience of a console, instead of having to worry about drivers and weird compatibility issues.

3. Some people prefer to play the games as soon as they come out and don’t want to wait.

4. Some people want the best graphics and performance available in console form.

Also, as Damigos Damigos said below, trophies and physical media.

+physical media

2. Some people prefer the frictionless experience of a console, instead of having to worry about drivers and weird compatibility issues.

3. Some people prefer to play the games as soon as they come out and don’t want to wait.

4. Some people want the best graphics and performance available in console form.

Also, and the biggest reason besides $$ i dont want to switch to PC is I have a massive digital library on console ...i made the wrong choice years ago not to switch to PC and I know if I bought a high end PC I wouldn't want to go back and replay my newly outdated library, thus feeling like I wasted thousands on games.

nial

Another point is that a lot of people don't want to buy their same games again. Meanwhile, they can just put their old God of War Ragnarok disc on the PS5 Pro, and enjoy the new version.

soulbait

why wouldn't you leave the work pc in the office and buy a gaming pc to put next to the tv?

I already explained. On my PC, not the one owned by the company I work for, I do side projects, photo editing, and other things on the PC. I do more things on my PC than just play games. It is really that simple. I use my PC as a computer and not just a gaming device. My work PC is my comany's property and I cannot do my photography hobby on it and there is some legal issues you can run into if you use a company's computer to make money. Anything I develop on the work PC would technically be their property (not that I think it would happen), and it is not really any business of the company that I work for of anything I do outside of work. They have access and know everything that is happening on their property.

My PC is set up for gaming, but is aging (got in 2018). So I do play older games on it from time to time to play games with my brother and nephews. However, I prefer to play in my media room and on consoles.

Edit: I explained the use of my PC in my original comment before this reply that you quoted.

Last edited:

laynelane

As a PC gamer and PS gamer. PC gamers always act as if they are insecure or something. It’s a thing for them to convince themselves how much they have wasted over a GPU alone, so they can sleep at night.

Eh, there are a few here and there. Not all PC gamers on here are like that, though. The only thing I find frustrating is the 'confusion' around why someone would play on console that we see every so often. I could play on PC, but prefer console. And the reverse is true for others. Different strokes and all that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If the PC is connected to the TV, and the TV has a couch in front of it...

Nah forget it, explaining all this would be way too complicated.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just because a driver exists doesn't mean you have to download it, the whole "installing drivers" argument is not a thing.
I made another post after that where I said how I explicitly needed to install a new Nvidia driver in order to get VRR working on a game I had recently downloaded. It's definitely a thing. It's not super common, but it's absolutely a thing.

But the worst part is the "not knowing", in my opinion. If I download a new game on PC, and I start getting issues like shader compilation stutter or framerate dips in unexpected areas, my first thought it to try to install a new driver. I'd say maaaaybe 10-15% of the time that's actually the solution, but usually it's just how the game runs on PC (or with my hardware). But the fact that it works even 1 out of 10 times always makes me wonder if any performance issues I'm experiencing are a result of not updating my drivers, or some other unknown issue.

And that's one of the best and worst things about PC gaming. You can almost always fix an issue that you have on PC or enhance your game. You've got that option. So if you're not getting ideal performance, you're hitting a weird bug, or you just want some optimization mods, you can find and use those. For someone like me, who wants the "ideal gaming experience", I start fixating on min-maxxing my settings for the best possible experience, and I usually end up spending waaaay too much time doing that. That's obviously my choice, and it's usually fine (unless I'm short on time, which I woefully am these days 😭).

But that's also why console gaming can be so attractive. You go into the experience knowing you're gonna get the exact product that the developers experienced and intentionally created for that platform. You don't even have the option of dicking around with it, so you never need to worry about it.

It's the same reason why a lot of people prefer iPhones over Android phones. But that doesn't mean that one is better than the other. That just means that some people prefer the "walled garden" approach, and some people would prefer to be in more control over their experience. Both are very valid options, and it's great that we have them. (And for the record, I'm not at all anti-PC. I absolutely love my PC, just like I love my consoles.)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I cant imagine every time I want to play game on TV I have to drag my desktop PC from my office to living room in my house and then put it back on my office for my work, in all honestly sounds like a pain.

Its much easier have my console stay in my living room so I can easily turn it on and play games.
so don't use your PC for work and leave it in the living room. Why even suggest such an outlandish way of playing games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why buy a gaming PC when you can get a PS5 Pro and a Steam Deck for the same price?
Hey- GAF's resident Deck-sucker here. It's really not the same thing as a fully fledged computer. Mod support is still limited by OS and game selection as well. The lack of keyboard and mouse makes doing anything beyond the SteamOS UI ok at best and downright infuriating at worst

pretty good companion device not a replacement for a computer

I made another post after that where I said how I explicitly needed to install a new Nvidia driver in order to get VRR working on a game I had recently downloaded. It's definitely a thing.
I addressed that in my own post with the GTA5 example, an outlier is not "a thing"; even now my last driver update is nearly 6 months old and unless something turns out to have severe compatibility issues in the future, I'll easily go for another 6 months.

Felessan

You can wait, but other might not want to.
ps5pro solve 2 problem - better perforemance/image quality and games delivered now and not 2 years later.
Neither ps5 (worse IQ/performance) nor PC (have to wait) solve both simultaneously.

Filben

It's really simple. Some console players want more performance and better visuals without sacrificing the platform they like, have their library on, are accustomed to, and/or can afford.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

This 1000x

I literally own many gaming PCs, built one recently for my older sister, planning one to build for my little cousin and still own a PS home console and Nintendo portable....will continue to buy that combo.

Fuck I look like missing out on a game day 1 because of a fucking driver issue? or V-sync? Be like "turn off Windows Security to avoid blue screen" lol I love it as an option, when its fun, its fun, but hell no can I go only with just that, cause when you have issues, we are not talking about an update later and you good ,we are talking about going on fucking Tom's Hardware, Steam and all sorts of forums to see what the issue is, what combos everyone has etc

Notepads with all theses notes on what to have on and off to get something to work or be smooth.

When I playing a console game, I'm not worry about crashing, corrupt saves and a series of random issues.

Last time that has ever happen to me on console was from Witcher 3 and CP2077 on PS4 so, go figure lol

Because a console is better and you don’t have to use windows

Also - it’s like washing your clothes in a dishwasher - it may work in theory and there may be the odd benefit - but it’d be fucking embarrassing if anyone saw you doing it.

Imagine someone walking into the lounge while you were lying on the floor with a keyboard plugged in to your rig under the telly, trying to sort out a fan curve in the bios.

Last edited:

Felessan

Why build a gaming PC and then exclusively/primarily use it for work? I don't get the logic here
Just use it for work. Even if it's distant secondary role of rig, it still put PC out of living room
It's not really convenient to use PC placed under TV in living room for work purposes

nial

Why build a gaming PC and then exclusively/primarily use it for work? I don't get the logic here
He probably just doesn't want to invest in upgrading his PC only for it to be a hassle in work/play sessions, nor invest on another machine, either. It's pretty reasonable. Plus, having a very good PC is for the better when you need to use it for work.

BlackTron

This seems bizarre if you are playing a gamepad style game. I prefer a chair and desk for RTS/FPS but my best friend played those games from his couch too using a foldable table lol. Not that he didn't play gamepad games too, I gave him a 360 controller so he'd stop asking to borrow it to play PC games. I mean the thought of him getting up, moving his coffee table, getting a chair, carrying it into the living room and putting it in front of the couch to play Monster Hunter with a 360 controller makes me laugh

Top Bottom