• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One think I don’t get about Sony

PeteBull

Gold Member
Steam HW Survey
I actually fact checked it week or two ago to correct other user who claimed 5% and ps5pr0 or above gpu performance is at 10% of steamsurvey pc players, u can do it urself too if u want, we know from the leaks pr0 has downclocked 7800xt so actual performance will be around 7700xt/6800/3070ti range https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
Edit: here u got performance graph of gpu's in pc market https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7700-xt.c3911 so even if u arent tech savy person u can exactly pinpoint each gpu's avg performance.

Last edited:

Hudo

The main reason why they get away with a Pro console is because there are enough retards buying it. Simple as.

Audiophile

Because PS5 Pro will probably be an extra $100-150, whereas a PC that's actually worth putting together will be an extra $1000.

It doesn't have to be as good, but perceptibly good enough.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Because PS5 Pro will probably be an extra $100-150, whereas a PC that's actually worth putting together will be an extra $1000.

It doesn't have to be as good, but perceptibly good enough.
Now is best time to sell ur base ps5 btw, get those dunno 350 usd/euro and in 3 months u will get brand new and much stronger pr0 for additional 150usd at max(pr0 price is likely to be 500 usd/euro at launch).

yurinka

Is if they are releasing games on PC why would they even need a pro console.
Because PC and console are different markets. Some people only play in console, some other one play only on PC. They want to make money from both.

And well, selling in console they don't have to pay 20%/30% of their first party games to Valve. Plus they get 30% of the 3rd party games sold on their console, plus they also get extra profit from the subscription and accesories sold in console.

They revenue from PC has been growing a lot every year, but most of the money they make is in console. Mainly from the 3rd party games sold there. So their business continues -and will continue- focused on their console.

Last edited:

duck_sauce

I get it that people want to play games on consoles. Thats fine, thats ok.
Everybody should play games the way they want.
But people need to stop telling this myth that pc gaming is annoying or complicated or that gaming on an tv in the living room is somehow less comnofrtable that console gaming.. That is misleading and quite frankly not true.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The one thing no one talks about is that pc is actually a really volatile platform right now. Is the market for a huge desktop tower really there anymore? Are gamers enough to warrant investment into that space while everyone else wants smaller laptops and tablets? I myself hope it will be around for a long time to come, but the mass market for huge power hungry gaming pcs is a guess to anyone going forward.

Topher

Gold Member
Is this true?
I thought it was to take advantage of the rise in 4KTV ownership.

It was a counter to people moving to PC?
Well then the current strategy doesnt seem all that bright, cuz PC players and even some PS players now know games will come to PC eventually and are happy to just have a PC.

Damn we'll see how things go with the PS5Pro......im interested in the tech but certainly aint buying it.

It was both. Obviously the popularity of 4K TVs and content had a big part to play, but gamers moving to PC was definitely a concern House highlighted as well.

“I saw some data that really influenced me,” House said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console life cycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro—and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

PeteBull

Gold Member
The one thing no one talks about is that pc is actually a really volatile platform right now. Is the market for a huge desktop tower really there anymore? Are gamers enough to warrant investment into that space while everyone else wants smaller laptops and tablets? I myself hope it will be around for a long time to come, but the mass market for huge power hungry gaming pcs is a guess to anyone going forward.
Its very healthy at lowend, midrange and high(not top of the top, just highend), and its actually really good price/perf atm, in cpu/gpu/ssd/ram/mobo etc, as long as u dont go into top of the top aka bleeding edge, coz then as a true enthusiast u really will have to bleed money :D

Here example, rtx 4070 is exactly 50% of vram/performance of 4090 which is current strongest gpu, but price wise u can get new 4070 for 540 bucks https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PW3NnQ/pny-verto-geforce-rtx-4070-12-gb-video-card-vcg407012dfxpb1 yet cheapest 4090, with loud and insufficent cooling which is actual hindrance for 450W tdp card- 1700usd https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t9...-rtx-4090-24-gb-video-card-gv-n4090wf3v2-24gd
4090 worth buying, with actual good (cool and not too loud) cooling system is 2k usd on the dot https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZK...4-gb-video-card-rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming
tldr highend gpu 540$ but true topend 2k usd, and its only 2x stronger.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
Don't think this question has ever been asked and answered before.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Last edited:
PC is not Playstation's main platform, never was and never will be for multiple reasons. Sony is a hardware manufacturer. That's never going to change. They will want those units sold. That's why they have released multiple devices. Some flopped, some were hits (Portal). They keep releasing multiple controllers, VR2, etc as well.

They've always been a hardware first, services second kind of company, unlike Microsoft.

In practical terms and for the consumer, the PRO is mostly for better framerates, resolutions, raytracing, basically. And to give the PS5 generation a small refresh as it enters its second phase (its last 4 years in the market). It won't be for everyone, but a lot of people will want one.

PeteBull

Gold Member
PS5 Pro will still be miles cheaper than it's PC equivalent.
Yups, at launch roughly 2x cheaper from similary specced pc, ofc in time pc will catch up bit by bit, same like it did with every console, especially that nowadays we dont get console price cuts anymore.
For example some1 who wants to experience performance of ps5/xsx still has to spend almost 700$ https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Whx3L9 while u got legit ps5 slim with disc drive for 450$ https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-5-slim-console-white/6566039.p?skuId=6566039

Last edited:
There's also a handful of people who want the Pro for the potential boost with PSVR2 games. Native 90 or 120 for all games would be awesome.

I actually fact checked it week or two ago to correct other user who claimed 5% and ps5pr0 or above gpu performance is at 10% of steamsurvey pc players, u can do it urself too if u want, we know from the leaks pr0 has downclocked 7800xt so actual performance will be around 7700xt/6800/3070ti range https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
Edit: here u got performance graph of gpu's in pc market https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7700-xt.c3911 so even if u arent tech savy person u can exactly pinpoint each gpu's avg performance.

You can't just go by what percentage own a particular GPU, nor can you equate PS5 Pro's GPU to a 3070Ti or 7700xt, it will be closer to 7900XTX for when you take into account the other optimisations of the playstation hardware and PSSR and close to 4070Ti for RT performance.

Topher

Gold Member
You can't just go by what percentage own a particular GPU, nor can you equate PS5 Pro's GPU to a 3070Ti or 7700xt, it will be closer to 7900XTX for when you take into account the other optimisations of the playstation hardware and PSSR and close to 4070Ti for RT performance.

PSSR doesn't turn a 7700xt into a 7900XTX any more than DLSS turns a 4070 into a 4090. And what other optimizations are you talking about? Rumors suggest the CPU isn't going to change much at all.

Last edited:
PSSR doesn't turn a 7700xt into a 7900XTX any more than DLSS turns a 4070 into a 4090. And what other optimizations are you talking about? Rumors suggest the CPU isn't going to change much at all.

The fact it's got a separate CPU for Audio, the general io optimisations, the PS Graphics API being more performant, not running Windows, there's loads of things that make a PS5 get a lot closer to a high end PC than it should be and PS5 Pro will go further than that.

DryvBy

Maybe there's enough people that don't want to waste money on overly inflated prices on PC parts to play newer games? The PC is easily the most overpriced system on the market.

I've said countless times I'll get a Pro only because my wife wants to play GTA 6 with me, a game that isn't launching on PC.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Unless we talking games build from the start for ps5/pr0 where pc port is late and only afterthought-and not ur 99% of multiplats, there is no coding to the metal/magical optimisation anymore, just watch digital foundry, bro
Here pc perfomance DF vid of flagship sony looker Horizon FW

And here how nicely and beatifully it runs on 6700xt bonus bit- u can chose urself resolution and settings, and decide if u wanna go max fps, max res, max settings or for something balanced, again thats at the very least at the lvl of ps5, bit above actually. remember 6700xt is few% stronger from 2080s/3060ti and it has 12gigs of vram :)

Edit: Here another example, according to DF its top1 graphics in game for 2023 so even tho game is a multiplat, its definitely a looker.

And the result is, 2070s can run it just as good if not better from base ps5, again, no data pulled out of the ass but actual footage and framerate measurements.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I know it's not uncommon for someone here to own both a console (or even multiple) and a gaming PC, but this site exists in an enthusiast bubble that most Playstation owners simply aren't a part of. They play on Playstation not because they can't afford a gaming PC, but because they don't want to play anywhere else.

As a PC gamer and PS gamer. PC gamers always act as if they are insecure or something. It’s a thing for them to convince themselves how much they have wasted over a GPU alone, so they can sleep at night.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is if they are releasing games on PC why would they even need a pro console. Like by the time it comes out there will be GPUs more powerful than what a pro console could provide. Plus a lot of people that are hardcore on visual fidelity play on PC anyways. Like a ps4 pro I understood because exclusives going on PC was a little bit of a foreign concept but now that they have jumped in that space I don’t really understand the purpose of it now. Like to me it just makes the regular PS5 more enticing because I’m sure it’s going to have a price drop once the pro releases.
Bro why do you need a console when you can buy a $2000 GPU I mean seriously lmao.

Topher

Gold Member
The fact it's got a separate CPU for Audio, the general io optimisations, the PS Graphics API being more performant, not running Windows, there's loads of things that make a PS5 get a lot closer to a high end PC than it should be and PS5 Pro will go further than that.

That's fine, but the only improvement we know of that the Pro is going to bring to the table is with its GPU. We won't know how Pro stacks up against PCs until we see some analysis from outlets like DF.

As a PC gamer and PS gamer. PC gamers always act as if they are insecure or something. It’s a thing for them to convince themselves how much they have wasted over a GPU alone, so they can sleep at night.

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

BravoZero

Neo Member
Sony is not chasing the most powerful GPU. They want games on their platform to play as well as it can. The Playstation is still a high priority for Sony. The last thing they want is a world where the best place to play their games is on a PC.
Consoles make little/no profit for Sony, it all comes from software.

If Sony could make more revenue being a 3rd party publisher for PC Etc and ditch unprofitable console manufacturing/R&D, they would (and maybe are transitioning to that now)

Last edited:
You're making the same mistake here as the OP. The PC gamers on enthusiast sites like this one are a minority and shouldn't be considered representative of PC gamers as a whole. The average PC gamer is more likely to be a guy playing CSGO or League of Legends on his 5 year-old Dell laptop than someone with a $5000 rig.

tommib

Just give me the best hardware available to play Elden Ring at native 4K that is not a PC. OH! Sounds like the PS5 pro might just be that! Thank you!

A lot of gamers like me just have no interest in PC gaming or going back to it - and still want to have the best hardware to play Elden Ring.

Last edited:
1. PC is an afterthought for Sony to just get about 1 million more in sales farther down the line, or for GaaS players. People like to pretend it's more than that, but it's really not.
2. There's a market for pro consoles, not a huge market, but that's like saying why make an elite controller, why make a portal, why make psvr 2, etc. Smaller markets are still worth going for.
3. more bang for your buck, this pro console is rumored to have RDNA tech that's not even available on PC yet, especially at probably ~$600 price tag.

SNG32

Maybe there's enough people that don't want to waste money on overly inflated prices on PC parts to play newer games? The PC is easily the most overpriced system on the market.

I've said countless times I'll get a Pro only because my wife wants to play GTA 6 with me, a game that isn't launching on PC.
Ok and I’ll play GTA 6 on my base PS5 then get the superior version with mods and graphics on when it releases on PC. All I’m saying is if you really care about graphics invest in a PC. A pro console will probably be what 700 dollars. Sure you’ll pay a little more for PC but you don’t have to get the top of the line gpu to get a better experience than a pro console. Plus you don’t have to pay for online and games are cheaper. A base PS5 is probably going to be the bigger seller than the pro either way. PC gaming is growing every year and one of the most important thing in this gen is Software and the access to services. Plus a lot of gen Z are getting into PC gaming more so than console so a good chunk of console gamers are older generations.

Last edited:
1. Some people would rather play on their TVs, which can be annoying with PC.

2. Some people prefer the frictionless experience of a console, instead of having to worry about drivers and weird compatibility issues.

3. Some people prefer to play the games as soon as they come out and don’t want to wait.

4. Some people want the best graphics and performance available in console form.

Also, as @Damigos said below, trophies and physical media.
Mini-ITX PC with Steam on Big Screen Mode and a wireless controller. Very simple to set up and extremely capable while far outpacing consoles.

Last edited:

SNG32

Why spend 500 on a Playstation when I can spend three times that to play GTA VI years later, with cheaters and the worst frame pacing imaginable?
No one’s saying that. I’m saying if you care about performance and visual fidelity why would you buy a pro console since that’s what it’s intended use is for. You can still play it on PS5. Like I get the point of getting a PS5 I get the access to exclusives releasing first. The pro is my issue why would I get one of these since Sony is releasing games on PC and I care about visual fidelity.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Bro why do you need a console when you can buy a $2000 GPU I mean seriously lmao.
Sony exclusives, obviously, as both pc and sony games fan(atic) i can admit i would love to play many playstation exclusives this gen already, with more to come, i just dont wanna play it on base ps5 coz its really weak, remember those memes/gifs when official ps5 specs got revealed?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Like to me it just makes the regular PS5 more enticing because I’m sure it’s going to have a price drop once the pro releases.
Well that's part of your answer right there.
The other is that Pro raises ASRP and increases engagement for the owners that buy one - which makes more money to Sony than Steam releases.

Mini-ITX PC with Steam on Big Screen Mode and a wireless controller. Very simple to set up and extremely capable while far outpacing consoles.
Yes on the bolded. Not so much on simplicity - PC SW continues to be a configuration mess and it's gotten substantially worse this decade again in terms of how fiddly everything is.
A big part of it is admittedly - the fault of Windows - but Linux misses out on a lot of features (and what it gains in simplicity it loses on compatibility getting a lot more - complex) so there's no ideal solution.

Well that's part of your answer right there.
The other is that Pro raises ASRP and increases engagement for the owners that buy one - which makes more money to Sony than Steam releases.

Yes on the bolded. Not so much on simplicity - PC SW continues to be a configuration mess and it's gotten substantially worse this decade again in terms of how fiddly everything is.
A big part of it is admittedly - the fault of Windows - but Linux misses out on a lot of features (and what it gains in simplicity it loses on compatibility getting a lot more - complex) so there's no ideal solution.
yes, correct, if you are retarded, I don't recommend a pc. To be frank, there are a few complexities here and there, but overall the experience is rather smooth these days, rarely do I ever have to modify anything for a game.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony exclusives, obviously, as both pc and sony games fan(atic) i can admit i would love to play many playstation exclusives this gen already, with more to come, i just dont wanna play it on base ps5 coz its really weak, remember those memes/gifs when official ps5 specs got revealed?
"Weak" is relative. I think the PS5 looks fine as do tens of millions of other people. People who post on sites like this are so out of step with the average PC gamer it is crazy. If you think the PS5 is really weak but the PS5 Pro isn't, then great. Sony wants that. My point was that Sony is offering something of value that the average NeoGAF user who thinks the 4080 is the minimum acceptable standard for gaming cannot comprehend.

yes, correct, if you are retarded, I don't recommend a pc.
Hop on Steam Community Forums and it seems that retards are not taking your advice.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC SW continues to be a configuration mess and it's gotten substantially worse this decade again in terms of how fiddly everything is.
Agree. Last time I tried to play on PC, I fucked up so hard that I had to call the plumber to fix my house pipes. It's a mess.

Top Bottom