• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus One GAF Invite list.

HiResDes

Why do I have to jump through hoops to buy your product, like is their way of artificially creating hype? I don't feel like I should have to win a competition to just to hand the holder $350. Like I'm kind of done with it at this point.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
People have been selling them on eBay for about a week or two now brand new.

XBP

Why do I have to jump through hoops to buy your product, like is their way of artificially creating hype? I don't feel like I should have to win a competition to just to hand the holder $350. Like I'm kind of done with it at this point.

They want to control the product's supply. Instead of opening doors to orders and getting overwhelmed by deman (aka your nexus 4 and 5 launch) they want to make sure that only those people who can actually get a device are allowed to order it. An invites system lets them release a specific number of devices and continue expanding with the passage of time.

What everyone needs to realize is that this company was created 6 months ago and these guys do not have the resources that someone like apple would have. If sony still hasn't been able to release its smartphones globally then we shouldn't expect a miracle from One Plus.

this_guy

They want to control the product's supply. Instead of opening doors to orders and getting overwhelmed by supply (aka your nexus 4 and 5 launch) they want to make sure that only those people who can actually get a device are allowed to order it. An invites system lets them release a specific number of devices and continue expanding with the passage of time.

What everyone needs to realize is that this is company which was created 6 months ago and these guys do not have the resources that someone like apple would have. If sony still hasn't been able to release its smartphones globally then we shouldn't expect a miracle from One Plus.

No, we just want a solid release date without having to make YouTube videos masturbating to the phone.

XBP

No, we just want a solid release date without having to make YouTube videos masturbating to the phone.

How many companies do we know of that give us solid release dates? LG never gave us a fixed date when they announced the G3 and neither did sony when they announced the Z2. It usually takes any company 30-60 days from announcement to actually release their smartphones and these comapnies have been doing this for years. The OnePlus One was announced around 50 days ago which is still within the 30-60 days average.

zYhMe2W.png

vrulite

Does anyone actually have this phone yet? I had a bunch of questions but it seems like there's noone to ask except OnePlus

A couple of people on XDA have them. Apparently they knew people at the company though. These contests are being rigged by people creating a bunch of fake accounts. The last contest had over 2 million entries for 100 invites. There is basically no chance of getting one until general availability.

Seth C

A couple of people on XDA have them. Apparently they knew people at the company though. These contests are being rigged by people creating a bunch of fake accounts. The last contest had over 2 million entries for 100 invites. There is basically no chance of getting one until general availability.

And those who do are just re-selling them at a huge markup. A win-win-win, to be sure. What a fuck up. Basically until they hit the general market no real consumer will have this phone. A total waste of marketing.

got an email

OnePlus Race Winner! said:
Congratulations! You are one of the 500 OnePlus Race winners.

Early next week you will be receiving an e-mail from account@oneplus.net with a link to claim your invite.

We hope you enjoy the One!

Best regards,
David Sanmartin
OnePlus Global

time to start the invite process (next week ;P)

oh and thanks to social media people who hate it lol.

i entered the instagram one because fuck it. was the easiest one to do lol

BigFwoosh

got an email

Good to see one of us actually has a chance to own the phone. Grats!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm done waiting. I really don't care at this point if I get this or just spend the extra cash and get the Sony Z2.

OnePlus were not ready for this.

Espi

Banned
this phone is a mess.

at this rate real consumers won't be able to get their hands on this phone until October

beat

What everyone needs to realize is that this company was created 6 months ago and these guys do not have the resources that someone like apple would have. If sony still hasn't been able to release its smartphones globally then we shouldn't expect a miracle from One Plus.

I saw an opinion piece that said One Plus is basically an alternate brand for Oppo, so they're not really just six months old.

got an email

Nice! I was able to submit the day 3 challenge form but no email. My guess is I didn't get a slot. Congrats though!

Sounds like production is fine but they don't have enough staff to support a wide launch of the product yet. Might be awhile until they do.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It appears you can order it from Oppo for a bit of a premium:

http://www.oppomart.com/oneplus-one.html/

No idea if there are different phones worldwide, or if it's just one universal phone. Also, they only have the white 16gb available.

edit: Also comes with Oppo's ColorOS pre-installed.

Those are Chinese and work with different frequency bands.
You also won't have a warranty outside of china.
I definitely would avoid these like the plague. Just have patience.

oxidax

Im on that new contest. If I dont win an invite, im moving on and purchasing something else. Its getting ridiculous now.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
how long do i wait for an answer if the first person on the list don't respond?

People that receive the invite only have 24 hours to purchase before you get the invite back.

I would say send them out to whomever, if they don't purchase within 24 hours post up here to remove them from the list and send the invite to the next guy.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I was hoping to have this phone by July or so. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, so i may move on. Unfortunate - any recommendations for a comparable phone spec wise?

I wish I would have looked for this thread earlier. I'm in their storm of invites contest but don't have high hopes for that. I added my name to the list here and as I said on the form, I'd give all 3 of my invites back to GAF.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't understand how to put myself on the list. Does it even matter at this point? Do I just need to wait now?

I'll buy one immediately(will be my first smartphone) and give out all the invites, but I'm not sure this works.

Sent out the first invite to the first name on the list. The invite is for a 64GB phone. Says it will ship in 3 days aafter purchasing

Biff

Sent out the first invite to the first name on the list. The invite is for a 64GB phone. Says it will ship in 3 days aafter purchasing
Awesome, thanks dude.

If we are indeed only getting one invite per phone sold, can we please all agree to not be an asshole and give your* only invite to a friend? The only reason you* are getting the invite in the first place is because of GAF, so pay that shit forward.

(you = prospective invite-receiver)

Awesome, thanks dude.

If we are indeed only getting one invite per phone sold, can we please all agree to not be an asshole and give your* only invite to a friend? The only reason you* are getting the invite in the first place is because of GAF, so pay that shit forward.

(you = prospective invite-receiver)
Its actually the invite I got from a contest. Didn't have time to use it. Unsure if that invite will have invite(s)
So the receiver will have to tell us since I wouldn't know

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Got an email saying I won an invite.

Now to hold off until I see what is announced today at Google I/O.

Sweet, got an email saying I won an invite from this contest:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/the-storm-of-invites.36887/

Not sure how many invites this comes with though, will probably know tomorrow but I'll surely be giving out if I can

poor guy

EDIT: Congratulations @shawnstan93 you won a free 64GB Sandstone Black One. Tomorrow you'll be receiving an invite to buy the phone for $0 in our store :)
Since we need to check that all the 2,500 invite winners have fulfilled the right tasks, we will be contacting them later this week.

EDIT 2: @shawnstan93 has been disqualified for not following the rules of the contest which stated: "Applicants may only apply once and not have received any invites in the past."
Tomorrow we will contact the 2,500 invite winners and announce the winner of the free phone.

Top Bottom