• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus One GAF Invite list.

ss_lemonade

They finally shipped mine too early this morning, though I have to wait for UPS tracking to update. Hopefully it arrives before the week ends

TehWhite

Neo Member
is it too late to get put on the list? my nexus 5 is legit falling apart and this is the only phone i want as a replacement.

EGM92

So my OPO will be arriving today via DHL. Called them to ask if there were any duties on the phone. $64.48CAD, DHL is the worst when it comes to shipping from US to Canada or from anywhere to Canada, really. That's on top of the $27.99 shipping cost.

So my OPO will be arriving today via DHL. Called them to ask if there were any duties on the phone. $64.48CAD, DHL is the worst when it comes to shipping from US to Canada or from anywhere to Canada, really. That's on top of the $27.99 shipping cost.

:|

That is ridiculous

RS4-

...lol DHL. Just the fucking worst, actually all of them are.

:(

tensuke

Wow, congrats to all the winners here! Surprised at the number, honestly. Hopefully the delays are generally over and these will actually start rolling out soon enough.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

DHL and UPS both charge stupid brokerage fees.. always ship via USPS or FedEx coming into Canada, nothing else.

EGM92

DHL and UPS both charge stupid brokerage fees.. always ship via USPS or FedEx coming into Canada, nothing else.

I was hoping for USPS but they don't give you any sort of option. It was Express Shipping and it was $27.99. No other details. US buyers have gotten theirs via USPS/UPS/FedEx so one would assume they wouldn't pick the worst POS out of the courier bunch.

EGM92

It's arrived!

And so much sexier in person. The back cover feels like a high grit sandpaper, actually feels nice.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I've got mine too - they said it wouldn't ship till next week and yet I have it now! Yay!

Edit: And yeah, my brokerage fees were 63.xx. Most of that was GST/PST though, probably the same for you EGM.

It's arrived!

And so much sexier in person. The back cover feels like a high grit sandpaper, actually feels nice.

Does it have a yellow spot on the bottom of the screen? I've seen a good amount of reports (and pics) on the official forums. Supposedly, if your screen is borked then you can only get one replacement and then your warranty is kaput. Plus, they are explaining away the yellow screen spots as a feature and "not a big deal". Makes me hella nervous as I await my device.

EGM92

How tough the phone is! j/k

How fast is twitter, google maps etc...

The phone is just fast, no lag whatsoever. Google maps with Google Now navigation is quicker than my S3. Twitter, I use Tweetcaster which is already fast, I don't notice any differences. There is NO yellowing on my screen luckily.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
The phone is just fast, no lag whatsoever. Google maps with Google Now navigation is quicker than my S3. Twitter, I use Tweetcaster which is already fast, I don't notice any differences. There is NO yellowing on my screen luckily.

Fixed that for you.

Biff

My biggest question is the how unwieldly is the size from someone coming from a 4.7" S3?

Do you get pocket flex?
I just made that term up. Basically, when you put it in one of the front pockets of your jeans and sit down, do you feel like you're putting pressure on the phone?

EGM92

My biggest question is the how unwieldly is the size from someone coming from a 4.7" S3?

Do you get pocket flex?
I just made that term up. Basically, when you put it in one of the front pockets of your jeans and sit down, do you feel like you're putting pressure on the phone?

I have large hands, it's noticibly bigger than the S3 in the hand but I'm used to using a large phone, it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Note 3 as well. It feels good. If you have small hands this phone will be pretty shit for you. Also the phone is solid, There's no flexing.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's definitely a big phone, but I have massive hands, so it works well for me. I don't put my phone in my jeans, so I've never experienced this phoneflex that you speak of, lol.

TheTux

Glad to see that they're finally selling and shipping this phone. Looking forward to hearing opinions and maybe receiving an invite :p.

By the way if the battery breaks can you replace it? (I heard it was not removeable, but can you remove it with, for example, a screwdriver?)

Edit: Sorry for the noob question lol

Edit2: And how can I know if it's compatible with my provider?

ss_lemonade

Weird, my order changed from using UPS to 2-day priority USPS. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't be arriving until Monday and I won't be at the place its shipping to until next weekend again :(

Even with my humongous, mandingo-strangling hands I can't use this phone without holding it with both. The sandstone black whatever back feels weird, can't uite pin down whether it has too much friction or the opposite. And let me find out the motherfucka who thought a big ass phone with sharp corners and edges was gonna fly, I'ma kill his bitch ass..............................................lol it's not that bad but it is definitely much less comfortable than my Nexus 4.

Cyanogenmod is boss and I never would have went through the trouble of installing it on another phone so it's nice having a device that it's specifically made for.

This charger cord was made for midget-land. At least it doesn't tangle though (and it makes you look fancy).

As for the yellow, I really REALLY have to squint at the bottom of the screen to notice that little rectangular smudge. I hope it doesn't get worse like other people's supposedly have. For now, it doesn't impede my experience at all.

The packaging is nicccceeeeeeeee. It looks better than the phone (which is pretty unremarkable besides the size). I'm gonna display it on the wall.

All in all (not including Cyanogenmod or other in-depth impressions because lol), meh. No frills, it just works. If an LG G3, Galaxy S5, or HTC M8 was $350 then I would have gotten one of those instead.
Flagship killer this is not. The Nexus 6 will save us all though.

EDIT: Big phones are awesome. I'm never going smaller now

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
but... where do you put it?

I guess I just usually hang on to it? Regardless, it fits in my jeans with no issues.

Even with my humongous, mandingo-strangling hands I can't use this phone without holding it with both. The sandstone black whatever back feels weird, can't uite pin down whether it has too much friction or the opposite. And let me find out the motherfucka who thought a big ass phone with sharp corners and edges was gonna fly, I'ma kill his bitch ass..............................................lol it's not that bad but it is definitely much less comfortable than my Nexus 4.

Cyanogenmod is boss and I never would have went through the trouble of installing it on another phone so it's nice having a device that it's specifically made for.

This charger cord was made for midget-land. At least it doesn't tangle though (and it makes you look fancy).

As for the yellow, I really REALLY have to squint at the bottom of the screen to notice that little rectangular smudge. I hope it doesn't get worse like other people's supposedly have. For now, it doesn't impede my experience at all.

The packaging is nicccceeeeeeeee. It looks better than the phone (which is pretty unremarkable besides the size). I'm gonna display it on the wall.

All in all (not including Cyanogenmod or other in-depth impressions because lol), meh. No frills, it just works. If an LG G3, Galaxy S5, or HTC M8 was $350 then I would have gotten one of those instead.
Flagship killer this is not. The Nexus 6 will save us all though.

I must be a freak then, because I can use the phone with one hand quite easily. Mind you, I can also palm a basketball with ease, so, there's that.

The Sandstone back feels amazing, almost like fabric. I took it to the Wireless store today to get it hooked up on the network and everybody absolutely loved the feel and the phone itself.

The packaging is high quality, soft touch materials. They probably could have gone with cheaper stuff and it would have been fine. I'd say the packaging actually surpasses Apple's iPhone packaging, no joke. Great presentation, but probably unnecessary.

The phone is VERY fast, no hiccups whatsoever. CyanogenMod hasn't bugged out at all, and the facial recognition has worked for me every time. I haven't put the camera through it's paces yet, but it seems more than adequate and is quick as well. Build construction is top notch, and I don't have any screen yellowing of any kind. The phone feels solid in your hand, definitely better than the Samsung for sure.

I also installed the screen protector, but it took a few tries to get it on properly and without dust. Wish they provided more than one screen protector in the package though.

External speakers are above average, but I haven't really tested some serious music through it yet, will report back when I do. Call quality is fantastic. I know there were some complaints about low volume, but I don't see how that's possible. I did put my ear in the wrong place at first I think, but after I corrected that it was perfectly fine.

Will post more impressions later. Any requests?

I guess I just usually hang on to it? Regardless, it fits in my jeans with no issues.

I must be a freak then, because I can use the phone with one hand quite easily. Mind you, I can also palm a basketball with ease, so, there's that.

Yeah, I've gotten used to holding the phone and doing everything I need with one hand. I need to disable the feature that makes the notification bar go into settings if you swipe it down from the right. Shit is annoying.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Got my One today. Holy crap this thing is beast!!
I also got my flip cover delivered.

Already unlocked/rooted.

What's the word on cases?

I like the Oneplus flip cover a lot. It locks and unlocks the screen.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Got my One today. Holy crap this thing is beast!!
I also got my flip cover delivered.

Already unlocked/rooted.

I like the Oneplus flip cover a lot. It locks and unlocks the screen.

Where did you get the flip cover? The only accessory I could order was the screen protector.

Edit: Just checked the site and I see there cover and the clear case. Did these *just* go up and you ordered them separately, or were they there before?

EditEdit: Lame, shipping is more than the cover itself, guess I'll have to find another way to order it. :(

KillGore

Are they ever planning to leave the invite system anytime soon? Seems like such a strange move.

I need this phone in my life

Sajjaja

I need an invite. My Nexus S is dying. The power button doesn't even work! I can only turn it off by taking out the battery and turn it on by plugging it into an outlet.

This flashlight gesture (draw a V on the screen when it's off) is extremely finicky. Shit never works consistently for me. I'll do the gesture and it'll sit there not doing anything and then when I do it again it'll flash on and off really quickly. Other times it'll take ten seconds to turn on. It's weird because the camera gesture works every single time. Good thing I'll probably never need the flashlight anyway.

EDIT: Also, the 4k video recording only works with the default Cyanogenmod Camera app, not the Google one.

BigFwoosh

Are they ever planning to leave the invite system anytime soon? Seems like such a strange move.

I need this phone in my life

They're still ramping up production, and they've run into a few issues that have held up that process. Once they're in full swing, the invite system will go away and we'll just be able to order the phone.

ismk

It is great to see so many GAF member that got onto the invite list.

Will there be any more lists or ways to get the phone for us unlucky ones?

Top Bottom