• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus One GAF Invite list.

BigFwoosh

Honestly, if you're registered for their forums you're better off just waiting for them to randomly pick you. The contests are pretty much impossible to win.

Ashes

Banned
My phone just went kaput. A shame I can't wait for this as need my phone switched on for emergencies so will have to buy phone asap.

Good luck everyone.

PS. I take it xperia z2 is the best android phone?

Takuan

How big is this compared with the S4?

Seriously disinterested with all the coming flagship Android devices. Been thinking about some alternative options and lo and behold this thread is bumped.

Will be doing some more research into this device, def looks really slick.

I'm still using the S4 as my day-to-day since I've been waiting for a case to come in (it actually came in earlier today, so I'll be maining the OnePlus once I get home). I've been using the OnePlus to browse internets and watch Netflix/Youtube just before I go to sleep. The extra real estate definitely makes a difference there, but I'm not at a point where I can't go back to 5" (yet); in fact, I can see myself preferring the 5" form factor.

Honestly, I don't currently see a reason to upgrade unless you really want the extra screen estate. The S4's screen size is still fine and it's not at all jarring going from the OnePlus to the S4; it's nothing like going from any phone with a 5" display to an iPhone 4, for example. Right now I feel more comfortable handling the S4, but it might just be what I'm used to.

We'll see how I feel in a week. I haven't ruled out selling the OnePlus to a friend and keeping the 4S.

Nitsuj23

I got an invite today too after registering for their forums over a month ago. Decided to pull the trigger as I can just sell it if I don't like (or if the Nexus 6 looks better).

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone have a time range on how long it took to be delivered? I only had an option for standard shipping. Hope it's not weeks.

Seth C

I got an invite today too after registering for their forums over a month ago. Decided to pull the trigger as I can just sell it if I don't like (or if the Nexus 6 looks better).

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone have a time range on how long it took to be delivered? I only had an option for standard shipping. Hope it's not weeks.

Interesting. I registered for the forums almost 3 months ago but so far, nothing.

Biff

I have to say I am kind of fortunate for the invite system. I've decided I no longer want the phone, which is not the decision I would have made if I could have purchased it on day one.

For nearly $500 all-in for Canadians, I'd rather wait another 2 months for the Nexus 6. My major concern with the OPO is quality control, and the ensuing battle with non-existent customer service if you are unlucky.

The fact that they are shipping devices with uncured glue is a horrible sign for the lifespan of this phone. Other users are reporting slow pixel bands, poor touch sensitivity, and DOA cameras. The majority seem to be fine, but if you are in the minority, you are subject to the horrors of customer service at a nascent Chinese manufacturer (read: terrible).

Aside from that, 5.5" is on the cusp of too big, in my *personal* opinion. If the Nexus 6 is also 5.5", I will laugh at myself before pulling the the trigger for a very similar phone 2 months later... Except at a much more reputable firm who won't ship me a mere refurb if the phone is DOA (shame on OnePlus for that).

Sorry for the random rant. Didn't know where else to post this and just wanted to offer my research on the "other" side of this ambitious phone.

I have to say I am kind of fortunate for the invite system. I've decided I no longer want the phone, which is not the decision I would have made if I could have purchased it on day one.

For nearly $500 all-in for Canadians, I'd rather wait another 2 months for the Nexus 6. My major concern with the OPO is quality control, and the ensuing battle with non-existent customer service if you are unlucky.

The fact that they are shipping devices with uncured glue is a horrible sign for the lifespan of this phone. Other users are reporting slow pixel bands, poor touch sensitivity, and DOA cameras. The majority seem to be fine, but if you are in the minority, you are subject to the horrors of customer service at a nascent Chinese manufacturer (read: terrible).

Aside from that, 5.5" is on the cusp of too big, in my *personal* opinion. If the Nexus 6 is also 5.5", I will laugh at myself before pulling the the trigger for a very similar phone 2 months later... Except at a much more reputable firm who won't ship me a mere refurb if the phone is DOA (shame on OnePlus for that).

Sorry for the random rant. Didn't know where else to post this and just wanted to offer my research on the "other" side of this ambitious phone.

Yeaaahhhh team nexus 6! I'm with ya.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I got a invite yesterday, I ordered the phone too.
I haven't got shipping confirmation but I am excited since my Nexus is broke from all kinds of angles lol.

U2NUMB

Sent in my app here... not sure why I flaked out on this for so many months.. I have wanted an OnePlus but I guess I assumed by now we would be able to buy them :p Oh well.. lets play the waiting game. Gonna pay forward all my invites when I get them.

TheTux

I got an invite but I'm not going to get the phone (don't really want a new phone before the end of summer, maybe I'll wait Nexus 6).

Who wants it? Do I have to PM like Modbot?

phalestine

aka iby.h
I got an invite but I'm not going to get the phone (don't really want a new phone before the end of summer, maybe I'll wait Nexus 6).

Id say go off that list. I believe crayon(maybe?) got his (he was first on the list)

edit -

I got my invite (thanks DMPrince!) and I bought the phone. I'm really excited for this and as soon as I get invites the next GAFfers on the list will get an invite.

I believe birbo is next on the list. I'd pm him/her.

TomPUH

PM me, I'm on the list!
Number 189 :( , go for top of the list like phalestine suggested.

Got the invite. Didn't purchase. Unfortunately my finances have been put towards other things. If I would have had the invite a month ago would have been an instant purchase. Now I'll probably just wait for a different phone in a few months.

So if you buy a phone, they will guide you invites to send out?

According to their forums, they are going to start giving invites out to people who purchased the phone starting next Monday. They are going to hand them out in the order that people purchased (so the 1st person who bought a phone will be the 1st to receive invites to distribute and so on). The invites supposedly only last 72 hours and then expire, so people have to give them out fairly quickly.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
I just got an invite - and just ordered my OPO - should have the phone in a couple days.

I personally do not mind the invite system. (It's somewhat biased)

I feel like they did the right thing. Invites are exponential after a certain point. This system ensured that people actually got their phones instead having to delay shipping on everyone's phone week after week and leave a negative customer service experience for everyone.

Would have bought a month or so ago if they would have let me give them my money, but I'm just gonna wait on the Nexus 6 now. The whole invite system thing is such bullshit.

TheTux

Would have bought a month or so ago if they would have let me give them my money, but I'm just gonna wait on the Nexus 6 now. The whole invite system thing is such bullshit.

I agree, and I am in the same position.

Is there some Nexus 6 recap thread (like "Everything we know about Nexus 6")?

I agree, and I am in the same position.

Is there some Nexus 6 recap thread (like "Everything we know about Nexus 6")?

Not sure there is a thread, but what is out there on the web is that it's going to be 5.5", possibly made by LG (no one seems to know if/who has been asked to make it), will likely have the QHD display of the G3, 3 gb of ram. Those seem to be the things people are fairly certain of.

I'd get it and sell it when i get the nexus 6. Also, is their forum sign up on a waiting list as well? I signed up a couple days ago and it told me to wait for the email to confirm my account but it never came, so i cant sign in to the forum.

TheTux

Not sure there is a thread, but what is out there on the web is that it's going to be 5.5", possibly made by LG (no one seems to know if/who has been asked to make it), will likely have the QHD display of the G3, 3 gb of ram. Those seem to be the things people are fairly certain of.

Anything about the price range? Will it be priced like a Nexus 5 or like a 700$ phone?

I'd get it and sell it when i get the nexus 6. Also, is their forum sign up on a waiting list as well? I signed up a couple days ago and it told me to wait for the email to confirm my account but it never came, so i cant sign in to the forum.

That's what I would do. I think for awhile at least these things are going to hold their value. If the Nexus 6 seems like a significant upgrade at a competitive price (a 64 gig option close in price to the OPO) then sell the OPO to fund the Nexus purchase. Not sure what would be going on with the forums. I know I received me confirmation email right away, but that was weeks ago.

Anything about the price range? Will it be priced like a Nexus 5 or like a 700$ phone?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I am fairly new to the Android scene as I've been an iOS user since the iPhone 3g. I bought a OPO because I wanted to try out an Android device at a reasonable price. I'd assume that a new model would have the same price as the outgoing one, but I'm not sure if there would be a concern from LG that it would be taking sales away from the G3 at that price.

Haint

I just got an invite - and just ordered my OPO - should have the phone in a couple days.

I personally do not mind the invite system. (It's somewhat biased)

I feel like they did the right thing. Invites are exponential after a certain point. This system ensured that people actually got their phones instead having to delay shipping on everyone's phone week after week and leave a negative customer service experience for everyone.

Nah, they're losing way more customers than they're gaining. 10 Minute Sell Out, 3 Month Wait List, and Inflated Ebay Price news pieces are generally very positive marketing in that they generate headlines and suggest the product and brand must be good. As it stands now every story or rumor about a Nexus 6, Note 4, Gear VR, or Snapdragon 810 is a potential lost sale to a would-be repeat customer that they had in the pocket a month or two ago. This isn't even getting into the invite game which a majority of people seem to view very negatively. Lets be clear, Joe Sixpack doesn't know who One+ or Oppo are and thinks the One is an HTC. This phone and company is supported by the savvy geek-o-sphere that follows nerd news and is intelligent enough to know they can't order the phone cause they're being used in a social media marketing experiment.

Honestly I was pretty hyped for it but I lost interest. If it's only a matter of a few months I'd rather wait on the circa october phones. I thought I'd the the OpO in may. Oh well.

TheTux

Nah, they're losing way more customers than they're gaining. 10 Minute Sell Out, 3 Month Wait List, and Inflated Ebay Price news pieces are generally very positive marketing in that they generate headlines and suggest the product and brand must be good. As it stands now every story or rumor about a Nexus 6, Note 4, Gear VR, or Snapdragon 810 is a potential lost sale to a would-be repeat customer that they had in the pocket a month or two ago. This isn't even getting into the invite game which a majority of people seem to view very negatively. Lets be clear, Joe Sixpack doesn't know who One+ or Oppo are and thinks the One is an HTC. This phone and company is supported by the savvy geek-o-sphere that follows nerd news and is intelligent enough to know they can't order the phone cause they're being used in a social media marketing experiment.

I agree, for example I would have instantly bought a OnePlus One few months ago but now I started reading about Nexus 6 rumours and I'm waiting the end of summer.

I got an invite, and I'm super unsure if I should take it or not.

I've been disappointed with all the major flagships his year, and I'm up for an upgrade later this year on AT&T, so I'm getting a new phone no matter what. I was holding out for a Moto X+1 up until now.

I want to take the invite, but the one thing I'm completely unsure about is the size. Right now, I find my HTC One (M7) to be what I feel is the biggest I can handle in a phone (at times I'm annoyed with how tall it is).

Help me GAF, the email says I have 24 hours to claim the phone and I got the email roughly five hours ago. Should I take it or should I not?

TheTux

I got an invite, and I'm super unsure if I should take it or not.

I've been disappointed with all the major flagships his year, and I'm up for an upgrade later this year on AT&T, so I'm getting a new phone no matter what. I was holding out for a Moto X+1 up until now.

I want to take the invite, but the one thing I'm completely unsure about is the size. Right now, I find my HTC One (M7) to be what I feel is the biggest I can handle in a phone (at times I'm annoyed with how tall it is).

Help me GAF, the email says I have 24 hours to claim the phone and I got the email roughly five hours ago. Should I take it or should I not?

Well I think that if you don't like it you can always make an eBay auction, can't you?

Adam Blue

You should do it. You can sell it if need be.

Funny thing about size: So, my LG G2 is getting repaired under warranty for some touchscreen dead spot. In the meantime, I'm using a backup LG F6 and the small screen is pretty comfortable. It's making me question size, yet I still believe bigger is better.

Top Bottom