• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus One GAF Invite list.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I can't imagine people waiting months for an invite.

Hopefully it'll remain the same price when it openly releases.

shamo42

This is what my phones looks like after several days and many hours outside in sunny weather.
Additionally I was at a nail studio and put it under UV light for about 30 mins.
mAqvo66.jpg

I think it's safe to say that least for me UV light doesn't help. What drives me really nuts though is not the yellow discoloration at the bottom but that sometimes touches are not recognized. About 1 touch in 30. I'm still waiting for a response from Oneplus to the RMA request.

What a shame. Because otherwise it's an incredible phone and experience. The latest update introduced a "clear camera mode" which is just amazing. Low light pics have never looked that good on phones (from personal experience). And raw "DNG" will be supported by CM11 soon too.

Low light during the night:

Normal light conditions:

This is what my phones looks like after several days and many hours outside in sunny weather.
Additionally I was at a nail studio and put it under UV light for about 30 mins.
mAqvo66.jpg

I think at least for me it's safe to say that UV doesn't help. What drives me really nuts though is not the yellow screen but that sometimes touches are not recognized. About 1 touch in 30. I'm still waiting for a response from Oneplus to the RMA request.

What a shame. Because otherwise it's an incredible phone and experience. The latest update introduced a "clear camera mode" which is just amazing. Low light pics have never looked that good on phones (from personal experience). And raw "DNG" will be supported by CM11 soon too.

Low light during the night:

Normal light conditions:

Is that with the latest update? They really do have a big problem with the yellow band. I'm hoping the new one I get next week will be free of that, but I have my doubts. If it bothers you too much just sell it on Craigslist. Don't deal with the RMA process.

shamo42

If it bothers you too much just sell it on Craigslist. Don't deal with the RMA process.
With the touch screen issues and yellow discoloration I'd have to sell this device as defective and would probably lose money.
RMA will be fine I hope. The device and packaging look like new. And I use PayPal's customers protection service.

Yes, the pic of the phone was taken with the latest update. It made the screen look less yellow overall but didn't remove the yellow band.

With the touch screen issues and yellow discoloration I'd have to sell this device as defective and would probably lose money.
RMA will be fine I hope. The device and packaging look like new. And I use PayPal's customers protection service.

I read that they won't approve a RMA for yellow banding from people that have tried on their forum. One thing that might help the yellow is turn the screen to full brightness and run a movie on Netflix for a few hours That helped some with mine. The UV light also did nothing for me. There are rumors they are using defective parts from Oppo phones to make these, but those are just rumors on their forum.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, Nexus 5 is $399 in australia for 16GB, with $449 for the 32GB.

Which is why the 64gb at $350 is so attractive, except for the whole not shipping to australia thing. :(

Also reports are saying that the nexus 6 is a phablet, and the nexus 5 size is already kind of pushing it for me.

shamo42

I read that they won't approve a RMA for yellow banding from people that have tried on their forum. One thing that might help the yellow is turn the screen to full brightness and run a movie on Netflix for a few hours That helped some with mine. The UV light also did nothing for me. There are rumors they are using defective parts from Oppo phones to make these, but those are just rumors on their forum.

Thanks, I'll try the movie thing.
The RMA request is for full return, not replacement. Apparently they don't replace yellow band devices. Return should be fine though as Oneplus wrote in an email they have a
"14 days no questions asked" return policy.

Thanks, I'll try the movie thing.
The RMA request is for full return, not replacement. Apparently they don't replace yellow band devices. Return should be fine though as Oneplus wrote in an email they have a
"14 days no questions asked" return policy.

Oh yeah I always forget about the 14 day return thing. The movie thing did help some with mine, so hopefully it works for you. It was still just too visible for me on a white background like Neogaf mobile.

Nah, Nexus 5 is $399 in australia for 16GB, with $449 for the 32GB.

Which is why the 64gb at $350 is so attractive, except for the whole not shipping to australia thing. :(

Also reports are saying that the nexus 6 is a phablet, and the nexus 5 size is already kind of pushing it for me.

Actually the Nexus 6 specs leaked a few days ago. 5.2 inch screen.

Steve from Cyanogen posted an update on the OPO forums this morning. Looks like the battery fix update should be coming soon. It's already fixed, but they have to go through the update approval process. Plus another update is coming soon after to add more enhancements.

BigFwoosh

Alright, so I've been going down the spreadsheet and so far everyone who has replied has no longer needed an invite. The last person I got to was P44, for the record.

Since my invite is only valid for a couple more days, I guess I should do a Modbot giveaway. Will post the deets shortly.

BigFwoosh

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a OnePlus One invite. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the OPO invite info. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806850.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BigFwoosh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not claim the invite if you do not intend to use it, or if you wish to sell it. Be respectful of people who have been waiting for this thing for months!
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

OnePlus One invite -- MB-A887E2B92CDB756F - Taken by TurbulentTurtle
The invite expires in a couple days. Good luck!

rc213

I gotta say even if I had gotten a device with the yellow band issue I would be doing everything to get a replacement asap. This device is just too good!

23hrs off charger/5hrs 53mins on screen time. (This is with the current battery drain bug)

Which apparently will take 2-3 days to confirm my credit card, and that's kinda after the whole 24 hour invite thing.
So I guess my best bet is to find a friend and use his account or something?

I set one up and it didn't take that long. They just send a verification to your phone and I was set up in like 20 minutes.

I set one up and it didn't take that long. They just send a verification to your phone and I was set up in like 20 minutes.

I tried adding a credit card to the PayPal account and it's telling me I have to confirm it. How long did it take for you to get a confirmed card on your account and us your PayPal account to buy stuff?

I tried adding a credit card to the PayPal account and it's telling me I have to confirm it. How long did it take for you to get a confirmed card on your account and us your PayPal account to buy stuff?

Pretty quick. Usually they just run a quick $1 charge I think to test the card. What is it telling you to do to confirm the card?

Pretty quick. Usually they just run a quick $1 charge I think to test the card. What is it telling you to do to confirm the card?

There's supposed to be a 4-digit "code" attached to the charge on the card, but from checking the online account for my bank, I haven't received that charge yet.
I'm thinking maybe the information for my bank takes a while to update.
Everything else I try to do on my PayPal account to confirm some kind of payment method required a minimum of 2 days. So I'm kinda shit outta luck here.

There's supposed to be a 4-digit "code" attached to the charge on the card, but from checking the online account for my bank, I haven't received that charge yet.
I'm thinking maybe the information for my bank takes a while to update.
Everything else I try to do on my PayPal account to confirm some kind of payment method required a minimum of 2 days. So I'm kinda shit outta luck here.

That is weird man. They never made me do that. I actually put a new card on my paypal when I bought the OPO and it updated instantly. They never asked for anything like that. When I first set up the paypal they sent me a text with a confirmation I had to do, but that is it.

That is weird man. They never made me do that. I actually put a new card on my paypal when I bought the OPO and it updated instantly. They never asked for anything like that. When I first set up the paypal they sent me a text with a confirmation I had to do, but that is it.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to do this on a Canadian account, I dunno...
I'm getting pretty frustrated, I have a friend who said I can use his PayPal account, but he hasn't responded in many hours now.

Call your CC company and ask them to read out the last pending charge put on your card, they should be able to see it even if it hasn't been posted yet

After playing with my OPO for a few days, I've also notice the yellow banding on the bottom of my phone. Not a deal breaker for me, cause I only notice it if I look really hard at it.

After playing with my OPO for a few days, I've also notice the yellow banding on the bottom of my phone. Not a deal breaker for me, cause I only notice it if I look really hard at it.

How long did it take you to receive your phone?
Your location says Edmonton and I'm from the better city a few hours south of you and I was just wondering how long I'd be waiting.

Cake Boss

Banned
The new update really fucks with the battery. Noticed its draining rather quickly.

Read on the forums that they have figured out the bug and have another update ready to roll out.

The clear image feature is pretty boss though, thats my go to setting now.

Got an invite from the OnePlus forum, so a 64gb has now been ordered. Looking forward to getting my hands on it, and I'm hoping the battery drain issue is sorted by the time I get it (my whole reason for getting one is I wanted a phone with beget battery life than my N5).

The new update really fucks with the battery. Noticed its draining rather quickly.

Read on the forums that they have figured out the bug and have another update ready to roll out.

Yeah the battery hotfix sounds like it should be out in a day or two and they are also going to release another update shortly after that. I have to say that so far I have been quite impressed with the support with the updates to the phone. I know the 30O came a few weeks later than planned, but they seem to be pretty good about adding new features and fixing bugs.

"Additionally, we are preparing another update in parallel that brings a few new features, a beautified lock screen, audio enhancements, polish on the new features in 30O, and of course bug fixes."

Gallbaro

Banned
Got an invite from the OnePlus forum, so a 64gb has now been ordered. Looking forward to getting my hands on it, and I'm hoping the battery drain issue is sorted by the time I get it (my whole reason for getting one is I wanted a phone with beget battery life than my N5).
user number?

Sweet deal,didn't realize it was a bug. My phone ran out of battery recently much faster than I was expecting. Figured I was doing something differently since before it was lasting a really long time.

Relique

My HTC One M7 decided to crap out on me a week after warranty expired. I wish I wasn't cheap and kept the handset protection for 10 bucks a month but I'm a poor college student so I took a risk. Live and learn I guess.

I am going to need something for school next week so may as well order a Moto G and keep that as a backup phone in case this happens again in the future. I would rather spend a little more and get a OnePlus One as it's good bang for buck and saves me the trouble of phone shopping for another couple of years. Added myself to the list.

Sorry Guys! I have no idea who claimed it though. They could at least say thanks. But oh well, I gave my 3 invites back to GAF. Good luck!

It might've been better to do a Modbot giveaway, since there could have been lurkers on the site that grabbed the invite. At least that way you'd know it went back to GAF.

I'm getting a new one tomorrow. Hopefully this one doesn't have the yellow. They still haven't given out invited from the one I ordered in July.

Top Bottom