• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus One GAF Invite list.

Before you smash your phones, you need to think of the resale value of them first.

I'm pretty sure an iPhone 5 is worth more than $300, so why smash it? You can sell it, and possibly have leftover cash.

OmegaFax

I'm wondering if this is a calculated stunt in itself to create buzz about the phone? Either way, doesn't really shine a positive light on OnePlus at the moment.

Really leads me into wondering if they have a shipping phone. They could have curtailed some of the nonsense by sending out invites or making the thing orderable. Instead, this feels like they're buying some time because the contest winners won't be announced until next week. Boneheaded and counterintuitive.

Was considering buying one until this. Rather save the hassle and buy something already available like the Moto G or Nexus 5.

oxidax

I just got the smash your phone promo email.
No way im smashing my Z1s. It's in perfect condition and i can sell it for about $350-400 dollars.

Go home Oneplus. You're drunk.

No one has to smash anything... If you don't want to, don't smash and wait for invites to start filtering down. Jedivulcan is exactly right, it's to create buzz about the phone but they're not saying you have to smash to get it, just those who smash will be the FIRST to get it.

And the whole point of the invite system and starting off with just 100 winners is to ramp up production. They're not just sitting on a pile of phones, they have to build them and that takes time. Combined with the surge of interest that it's seen, there would be massive shortages and problems buying the phone if they just let everyone at it. So instead of letting people fight it out, they use invites as a way to ease people in. They can control how many invites people can give away and thus control how fast people buy it, without having the virtual fighting as people scramble to order it.

If you really don't want to smash your phone and can't wait to get an invite normally then go ahead and buy something else, otherwise just sit tight and wait a month or so.

moris

I put myself on the list as well. I would smash my old phone too if only it was on the list of selected smashable phone.

Oyashiro

I'm in, willing to give back all invites to GAF.

Just so people are completely aware of the rules:
1) You CANNOT just buy a random shitty phone, smash it, and get a OnePlus One. That's now how it works. There is a list of pre-approved devices (someone posted it above) that are eligible for this promotion.
2) You DO NOT smash your device and then hope you get picked. You sign up for the program first, and IF they select you as a "smasher", THEN you smash your phone and get your OnePlus One.

Honestly, I think this whole thing is just ridiculous and a huge waste. They've gotten a lot of backlash from the community so far, and I'm surprised that they're still willing to go through with it. As others have stated, you'd probably end up losing money by smashing your phone and getting the OPO rather than just selling your old device and getting the OPO. Also, I'm sure most people have seen that infamous video of the guy who smashed his S4 (or S5, can't remember) and had a battery explode.

MarkusRJR

I signed up for the list. Willing to smash my Z10 for a OnePlus (they're $200 brand new, and mine is pretty beat up).

It said in the FAQs that the video has to be done in "one frame". What does this mean? Does it mean one take?

Also, I'm not sure if it mentioned it but would you be allowed to take out the battery assuming you get picked? Don't want it to explode.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Submitted. Plan on giving back 2, as I may get a phone for myself and my wife.

solarus

Signed up for the list!
My previous post in this thread was just about signing up for the smashing thing.
I'll give back all extra invites I get, i put myself down to give back three.
Maybe I can finally put my dying iphone 4 to rest.

Rafy

When do they start sending out the invites?

Probably May 16th. Cnet says that OnePlus promised that one as the release date.

EDIT: Changed the form to 3 extra invites max, those of you that still have 5 in the spreadsheet I will change to 3 by release, if the release invites still give only 3 more.

trixx

Nexus 4 isn't on smash my phone list, and even if it was i wouldn't smash it. Screw that, contest. I was hoping i could use my sony vivaz pro lolololol

Rafy

Did anyone get an invite?

Not that I know of, but I just noticed this:

The OnePlus One is surely one of the more intriguing devices to be released so far in 2014. However, its launch has been somewhat marred by OnePlus’ Smash the Past marketing campaign; you can win the opportunity to get one of the OnePlus Ones for $1 if you volunteer to destroy it in a video on YouTube. Unfortunately the nature of the contest was announced before the official rules were put in place which ended up in many a prematurely destroyed smartphone. While it’s definitely a very interesting campaign, it’s not exactly productive, in the conventional sense, which is why it’s good to see that OnePlus has teamed with Medic Mobile to potentially do some good.

To the 100 applicants who have won the opportunity to buy the new OnePlus One for $1, Medic Mobile is working with OnePlus to offer these winners the chance to donate their phones to Medic Mobile’s cause instead of destroying them on video. For those interested, Medic Mobile is a nonprofit organization that recycles old phones so that healthcare workers in remote corners of the world can have access to better mobile technology
http://androidspin.com/2014/05/02/o...e-offer-chance-donate-phone-instead-smashing/

Keyouta

Dumb that I didn't get picked. I chose to smash my phone with a forklift. Who can beat that?!

Why would you smash your phone for a chance to win another? Was it not working? Trade it, sell it, give it to a family member, donate it. There are a lot of other options.

Why would you smash your phone for a chance to win another? Was it not working? Trade it, sell it, give it to a family member, donate it. There are a lot of other options.

Wasn't a chance. If you were one of the 100 picked, you got a phone for 1 dollar. At least from what I understood of the rules.

todd360

Before you smash your phones, you need to think of the resale value of them first.

I'm pretty sure an iPhone 5 is worth more than $300, so why smash it? You can sell it, and possibly have leftover cash.

Why aren't people just buying a cheap tracfone to smash. No way would I smash a phone with a resell value of at least 200 dollars.

Why aren't people just buying a cheap tracfone to smash. No way would I smash a phone with a resell value of at least 200 dollars.

The phone you get is worth $300, so long as the value of your phone is below that it's cheaper to smash it then to sell it. And I wouldn't be surprised if they ask that you show the phone is working first to prevent that since buying a broken phone goes against the spirit of the contest.

They aren't making people smash the phones. They posted an announcement the other day that they are going to let the people donate the phones to charity also.

milkham

The phone you get is worth $300, so long as the value of your phone is below that it's cheaper to smash it then to sell it. And I wouldn't be surprised if they ask that you show the phone is working first to prevent that since buying a broken phone goes against the spirit of the contest.

they had a list of approved phones for you to say you'll smash on video if you are chosen. all of them were phones that you wouldn't want to smash.

they had a list of approved phones for you to say you'll smash on video if you are chosen. all of them were phones that you wouldn't want to smash.

My HTC One M7 is worth about $200-$250 resale value and was on the list. If I wasn't worried about exploding batteries since I can't remove it, I definitely would have signed up to smash it.

Spinluck

How are we going about this? Is there an actual list in place? I posted about wanting an invite, but so did many people before me lol.

EDIT: Will return all my invites to GAF.

Top Bottom