• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
I just started Ep 6 and unless something drastic happens, I'm ready to put this in Deadwood/West Wing/Best Ever tier.

More commonly know as the Breaking Bad tier.

I'll hold off on that judgement after there's been a few more seasons. Given how Weed dropped off the cliff after three seasons.

iammeiam

Also I don't know if this show was supporting it, but I found the whole idea that Piper is just as selfish and bad after the radio program to be completely ridiculous. Hey, Crazy Eyes, you did stalk Piper! Red, you starved her out! Old inmate, you were a total bitch to her!

I think looking back at the earlier interactions at that point is kind of interesting--Crazy Eyes/Suzanne especially. Once Piper firmly told her no, it was over. She gave Piper the peppers, which Piper accepted; she shared headphones, which Piper accepted, and Piper even used her prison wife to chase off Alex early on. Piper was too timid to actually tell her off until Healy prodded her. While Suzanne peeing on the floor was a crazy reaction, she didn't try to force herself on Piper or harm her after that point. Larry's story was Piper's outdated one-sided stereotype version of Suzanne, which had to be extra hurtful in light of their recent discussion about psych and Suzanne acknowledging she has mental health issues.

I thought Larry's radio interview was a good way of shoving Piper's early misjudgment a of people back in her face. She wasn't wrong about everyone, but the versions of inmates Larry described based on her snap judgments didn't match up with the people she got to know in many cases. Miss Claudette is a total hardass, but she wasn't a physical threat at any point and IIRC Larry describes her as potentially murderous.

Unrelated, but: one of my favorite things about the season is the contrast between the two mentally unstable inmates--Crazy Eyes seems like the dangerous one, while Pennsyltucky seems to be a mostly harmless religious nutjob. Piper initially fears Crazy Eyes, when it turns out she's willing to take a firm no and move on after a minor tantrum, yet believes she can make nice with Pennsyltucky who it turns out can't seperate her crazy from reality.

Sloane

Banned

I'll hold off on that judgement after there's been a few more seasons. Given how Weed dropped off the cliff after three seasons.
It's interesting to me that people love this show but hated Weeds considering this feels almost like a spin-off. Wasn't there even a season of Weeds when Nancy was in prison? Piper isn't as unlikable‎ and irresponsible as Nancy yet but it's bound to happen.

Not saying I don't like the show but the euphory in general seems weird with all the hate Weeds got.

I think looking back at the earlier interactions at that point is kind of interesting--Crazy Eyes/Suzanne especially. Once Piper firmly told her no, it was over. She gave Piper the peppers, which Piper accepted; she shared headphones, which Piper accepted, and Piper even used her prison wife to chase off Alex early on. Piper was too timid to actually tell her off until Healy prodded her. While Suzanne peeing on the floor was a crazy reaction, she didn't try to force herself on Piper or harm her after that point. Larry's story was Piper's outdated one-sided stereotype version of Suzanne, which had to be extra hurtful in light of their recent discussion about psych and Suzanne acknowledging she has mental health issues.

I thought Larry's radio interview was a good way of shoving Piper's early misjudgment a of people back in her face. She wasn't wrong about everyone, but the versions of inmates Larry described based on her snap judgments didn't match up with the people she got to know in many cases. Miss Claudette is a total hardass, but she wasn't a physical threat at any point and IIRC Larry describes her as potentially murderous.

Unrelated, but: one of my favorite things about the season is the contrast between the two mentally unstable inmates--Crazy Eyes seems like the dangerous one, while Pennsyltucky seems to be a mostly harmless religious nutjob. Piper initially fears Crazy Eyes, when it turns out she's willing to take a firm no and move on after a minor tantrum, yet believes she can make nice with Pennsyltucky who it turns out can't seperate her crazy from reality.

To be fair, telling any normal person that you have a fiance is a pretty clear "I don't want to be your 'wife' " signal. Also, the peppers were specifically stated by Crazy Eyes to not have any implications. Miss Claudette
IS a murderer and plays into that persona intentionally (her only friends being Red and eventually Piper).

The story is definitely skewed in Pipers favor, which is to be expected in any POV material. And while Larry's stories are inspired by Piper's initial impressions, the biggest issue is that he's too busy lamenting being away from his Fiance' to actually give a shit that his Fiance' is in PRISON. Every conversation they have only explores her prison experience extremely superficially before Larry turns it into a "woe is me" party. So even as she learns about these other people and goes from naive to informed, Larry's impression never changes. I can't fault Piper for her impressions because it's prison. Impressions are a major aspect of survival and the prisoners actively cultivate these one-shot impressions to give the other inmates as a necessity of survival. So it's far from the preppy upper class white girl making undeserved snap judgements.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The ending to the season made me sad.
just thinking how happy she was before entering prison and is now turned into a vicious criminal. The next season is probably gonna clearly set up thsat the show is now about her life in prison and not the goal to get out. Thats probably gonna come as a surprise in the series finale.

Kaladin

The ending to the season made me sad.
just thinking how happy she was before entering prison and is now turned into a vicious criminal. The next season is probably gonna clearly set up thsat the show is now about her life in prison and not the goal to get out. Thats probably gonna come as a surprise in the series finale.

I'm not so sure.
We know that she didn't kill the girl because the actor got bumped to a series regular. There is enough evidence pointing against the girl she attacked that she might not get much punishment for it. Also, as for Larry he's kind of like Piper in that he's an emotional roller coaster and I think he'll try to get back in contact with her to work out their relationship....who knows though, they're pretty much going into their own script here.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm not so sure.
We know that she didn't kill the girl because the actor got bumped to a series regular. There is enough evidence pointing against the girl she attacked that she might not get much punishment for it. Also, as for Larry he's kind of like Piper in that he's an emotional roller coaster and I think he'll try to get back in contact with her to work out their relationship....who knows though, they're pretty much going into their own script here.

On top of that
they gave Piper an out by making Healy ignore her. That will undoubtedly make season 2 more interesting.

dorkimoe

im on episode 6 i believe. Such a great show. Cant stop watching

It's interesting to me that people love this show but hated Weeds considering this feels almost like a spin-off. Wasn't there even a season of Weeds when Nancy was in prison? Piper isn't as unlikable‎ and irresponsible as Nancy yet but it's bound to happen.

Not saying I don't like the show but the euphory in general seems weird with all the hate Weeds got.

she got arrested at the end of a season and was released at the beginning of the next . Weeds was amazing the first 3 seasons, then it got stupid, ended ok but the middle was terrible

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Tayrn Manning's character looks like she could of been played by Helen Bonham Carter.

No, the queen of methed out white trash:

1ZpVfmp.jpg

Dale Dickey.

Kaladin

You know. There were a bunch of "I recognize that actress from somewhere" moments for me in this series, but the one I couldn't place was the Yoga instructor. I thought I recognized her from some Comedy Central series or something like that but it turns out, it was her voice I was recognizing. She was Patti Mayonnaise on Doug.

OMFG Tastee and Pusse.

"Did you watch that documentary about the best sushi in the world?"
"As a vegetarian, I felt I really couldn't enjoy it!"

Truly and honestly the definitive show encapsulating our times, for better and for way worse.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
OMFG Tastee and Pusse.

"Did you watch that documentary about the best sushi in the world?"
"As a vegetarian, I felt I really couldn't enjoy it!"

Truly and honestly the definitive show encapsulating our times, for better and for way worse.

I like the quote about having "really quiet sex". :p

PSGames

breaking bad tier??? this is really that good? need to watch asap!

Fantastical

Death Prophet

It's a different kind of show, though. Most of the time it's actually pretty lighthearted despite it being set in prison. There's a weird tone in which they balance the extremely dark with very light moments. I wasn't sure about that at first, but they did it very well.

Towards the end it gets more serious. I'm not sure if I would call it "Breaking Bad tier", but it's definitely a good show. My favorite from Netflix.

anaron

You know. There were a bunch of "I recognize that actress from somewhere" moments for me in this series, but the one I couldn't place was the Yoga instructor. I thought I recognized her from some Comedy Central series or something like that but it turns out, it was her voice I was recognizing. She was Patti Mayonnaise on Doug.
I knew she had to have been a voice actress. I kept trying to visualize who it was and lol, *of course* it's Patti Mayonaise.

Shahadan

It's not. Breaking Bad tier would mean extra attention on directing and photography, and a willingness to do something more than just tell a story, which this show is not doing.
It's still good though.

I agree with an above comment about how it feels like a Weeds spin off. The idea probably popped up from the prison season anyway. And Piper by the end of the season seems like a lighter Nancy. More tolerable but also less enjoyable, and still a selfish cunt.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
After just finishing season 1, it does seem Piper's type of progression is set up to be Weeds 2. This show does have a larger ensemble to borrow from though, and it spends less and less time with Piper as the season develops. I thoroughly enjoyed this season due to the strong and diverse cast, but I'm skeptical there will be as much compelling material to keep it up.

anaron

Oh man at the finale:
Healy standing guard and wilfully ignoring Tiffany trying to kill Piper was absolutely chilling. The initial false security and slowly revealing how truly despicable he is was fantastic.

That ending is so damn cruel! I need this show back ASAP

Mr.Swag

Banned
Did anyone here not like the show?
I feel like I've only read positive things about this. Having watched it myself I can see why. But it surprises me, Cus they always is haters out there.

anaron

Who are your favourite inmates? There are entirely too many amazing characters, but at the top for me are:

Tastyee and Pousse ( their friendship is the most adorable and heartbreaking thing)
Crazy Eyes
Nicky
Red
Miss Claudette
Big Boo
Watson aka track girl
Yoga Jones

My favorite thing about the show are the transitions between scenes. Some of them are so clever. I'm on episode 10 now, and I've been entertained the whole time. What a gem.

937408.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
Does something happen in the latter episodes that cause people to hate pipers character? I'm on episode 8 and she seems fine. I'm confused by the hate

And why do you have to turn on the subtitles to see the translations? Shouldn't that appear automatically?

Also, pennslytucky is secretly the best character on this show.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Does something happen in the latter episodes that cause people to hate pipers character? I'm on episode 8 and she seems fine. I'm confused by the hate

Also, pennslytucky is secretly the best character on this show.

I agree on both points. I think the amount of hate Piper gets is really unfair. She's a naive woman who has no idea how to handle the situation she is in. People are calling her a cunt and stuff, and at the most to me she's annoying.

And yeah, the actress playing Pennsatucky gives a great performance. Great character to hate.

I agree on both points. I think the amount of hate Piper gets is really unfair. She's a naive woman who has no idea how to handle the situation she is in. People are calling her a cunt and stuff, and at the most to me she's annoying.

And yeah, the actress playing Pennsatucky gives a great performance. Great character to hate.

Spot on. She is what most 30 y/o white girls would be like if taken to fed lockup.

Also agreed on bible beater. It takes great acting chops to act in a way that makes people love to hate you.

Torquill

So how long until assistant warden lady ends up in her own prison for embezzling?

That's gonna be a fun storyline.

.GqueB.

Banned
Spot on. She is what most 30 y/o white girls would be like if taken to fed lockup.

Also agreed on bible beater. It takes great acting chops to act in a way that makes people love to hate you.
She's so subtle with it. Really expertly done and she doesn't drop her deal for a second. The other character you were supposed to hate (
the runner who went bad)
couldn't achieve that. It was so over the top. "I'm angry... Hate me!".

Love this damn show.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
She's so subtle with it. Really expertly done and she doesn't drop her deal for a second. The other character you were supposed to hate (
the runner who went bad)
couldn't achieve that. It was so over the top. "I'm angry... Hate me!".

Yeah she was probably the weakest actress. I don't think you were supposed to hate her though.

ivysaur12

Banned
This show understands stakes so well. It takes the most mundane aspects of life (an insult, forgetfulness) that wouldn't cause any issues of consequence outside of prison and marries them with something that becomes life-or-death (I need to eat, everyone thinks I have a deadly weapon I need to return).

It's not. Breaking Bad tier would mean extra attention on directing and photography, and a willingness to do something more than just tell a story, which this show is not doing.

Couldn't disagree with this more. If you think this show isn't saying something beyond its plot developments, you and I must have been watching something completely different.

In fact, Breaking Bad doesn't bother much implicating anyone beyond its protagonists for all the terrible shit that happens. This show at least is trying to expose the underlying causes of any number of injustices in contemporary society.

Anyhoo. Just finished the season. Very last scene
was kind of a little much, with Healy just turning away. Bummer because up to that point it was seriously Deadwood-tier television. The last two episodes had the kind of emotional intensity and heartbreakingness only the best can deliver.

It's weird because Weeds I could never take seriously. Even the way it was shot made everything feel campy and artificial. This was a whole different animal.

Kinda like Weeds was Kohan's Lone Gunmen and this is her Breaking Bad. Minor Leagues to the Majors.

I feel the need to fact-check this show. Piper said that you can't snort crack and that it'd hurt your nose. Correction: just crush the rocks and snort. Yes, you can snort crack. That is all.

Scribble

I agree with the praise about the actress who plays the bible beater. Favourite performance of the series. In my mind, whenever an actor tries to do that over the top, keraaazaay (joker-ish, maybe) character it often falls flat. This lady hits it out of the ballpark, juggling being an annoying little pest/laughing stock with being a genuine threat extremely well. Her being upgraded to series regular is the best news ever.

Shahadan

Couldn't disagree with this more. If you think this show isn't saying something beyond its plot developments, you and I must have been watching something completely different.

In fact, Breaking Bad doesn't bother much implicating anyone beyond its protagonists for all the terrible shit that happens. This show at least is trying to expose the underlying causes of any number of injustices in contemporary society.

I was talking about art, not piss poor social commentary.
Yeah prison are hard, inmates relationships are complicated, COs are corrupted, blah blah blah. The show isn't trying to expose anything (and fortunately beacuse it would do a bad job at it), it's merely incorporating things in its plot, which is a good thing btw, but I wasn't talking about that.

Lach

Just finished it. Love it so much. Definitely in my top 5 tv series which says allot after the first season.

Great to hear that it's already renewed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom