• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.
- SJ Mercury News: 'Orange Is the New Black' on Netflix is a must-see
Overall, Schilling's performance is a thing of beauty. And so is this show. Kohan and her team have pulled off a neat trick here -- a highly distinctive piece of television that has both lightness and depth.
- Poniewozik's review for Time.com
The show becomes more engrossing as is spins out from her story, fleshing out the inmates, their backstories, and their alliances. You may come for the culture-clash cringe-comedy; it’s the real human stories that will have you captivated.

- Sepinwall's review: Women's prison show 'Orange Is the New Black' may be Netflix's best original yet
"Orange Is the New Black" is not, as the counselor notes to Piper, the next "Oz." There's the occasional threat of violence, but the series is much more interested in how a group of women from a variety of racial and socio-economic backgrounds try or fail to connect when placed in the same enclosed space for months or years on end. But it evokes "Oz" in a very, very good way: it doesn't feel quite like anything that's been put on television (if we're still calling Netflix "television") before. I had no plans for this series beyond the couple of episodes I expected to watch before writing this review. Now, I can't wait to find time to watch the rest of this first season.

Just a quick reminder that the entire first season will be up at 12am PT tonight. Also, please note that we're not going to use spoiler tags for S1 content in this thread.

Really looking forward to this, most of the Netflix originals have been pretty good that I've seen. .........besides Hemlock groves I mean.....

Bladenic

Jodie Foster directed an episode? Everything I hear about this show sounds better and better. Can't wait to start tomorrow.

Looks like Hemlock Grove and Lilyhammer were just minor missteps. Netflix seems to have struck gold with it's original content. Excited for this release. More and more I'm beginning to believe in Netflix's chances for at least a few emmy noms, if not a win. Has there yet been an emmy win for a non-TV series?

- USA Today Review: Orange is the New Black' looks pretty sharp
What you get from Jenji Kohan's (Weeds) unexpectedly affecting new 13-episode series is a true rarity: a deft mix of comedy and drama in which the prison feels like a real place and the women are actual people, rather than a thinly veiled excuse to stage catfights, lesbian fantasies and sexual assault.
- Newsday: Orange is the new 'blah'
"Orange" is also a comedy that wants to be a drama -- especially one that humanizes those around Chapman. It's a balancing act that occasionally -- far too occasionally -- works. Grade: C-
- LA Times Review: Lock yourself up with 'Orange Is the New Black'
Jenji Kohan's fine and feisty adaptation of Piper Kerman's memoir, which chronicled Kerman's yearlong stint in federal prison, may not have the star power of "House of Cards." But a women's prison is certainly a fresher landscape than power-mad D.C. And the distance between the frenzied expectations of "Arrested Development" and its very mixed reception clears a nice space for a comedy that is a deceptively ambitious mix of the innovative and the dependable.

- THR: 'Orange Is the New Black' Stars Say Netflix Is the New TV
- Boston Globe Review: ‘Orange Is the New Black’: Yuppie, interrupted
But “Orange” promises to be a better and more expansive show [than Weeds], at least based on the first four episodes, as it explores not only the fish-out-of-water story of the WASPy-looking Piper in a mixed socioeconomic and racial world, but the personalities of her prison mates. Each hourlong episode moves forward with Piper’s Martha Stewart-like efforts to survive as well as backward, to explain who all these people are and how they landed in jail. These characters aren’t just types; each of them, even the least appealing, slowly becomes three-dimensional.

This should be up in a little over two hours at midnight PT.

I'll blind post a few reviews here and there, but in general I won't participate in the thread until I'm finished watching due to spoilers. Check the OP for any additional info that you might need and enjoy the show.

Free reign on spoilers in here correct?
Yup, anything from S1 is fair game.
the OP said:
On Spoilers
Because all of the first season episodes are going to be up at the same time, this thread will not use any spoiler tags for S1 content. Again, once the episodes are up simultaneously on July 11th, spoilers are fair game. If you don't want to be spoiled, please stay out of the thread until you're finished.​

ctothej

Is this online yet? If Jenji Kohan is back to her Weeds season 1-3 quality then I'm in.

EDIT: reviews are looking gooooood. I'm excited :)

Is this online yet? If Jenji Kohan is back to her Weeds season 1-3 quality then I'm in.

EDIT: reviews are looking gooooood. I'm excited :)

Yeah I just looked and it's there.

I was going to watch the first one tonight, but I'm pretty tired, I'll probably leave it for tomorrow.

Lach

This has a (non blonde) Laura Prepon! And she's naked in like the first shot! This has already won me over....

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Wasnt looking forward to this but am off work and have been marathoning it. It's good. Enjoyable and interesting.

Does a second season mean we won't see her come out to season.

iiicon

Enjoyed the first episode. I thought the pacing was off because the show was introducing too many characters and revealing too much of the backstory at once - there's too much plot getting in the way of the story!- and some of the scenes ran longer than they should, but the character interactions are top-notch and the introduction hang-ups aren't a lasting problem. The last 10 minutes or so are fantastic. I'm on board.

Also, Captain Janeway as a hard-nosed Russian cook. What's not to love?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still really don't enjoy Laura Prepon at all. How she still gets work is beyond me.

Tucah

you speak so well
Now a few (five?) episodes in and really, really enjoying this so far. It's pretty similar to Weeds in tone, I think but far, far better than anything the show did in its later years. The plot is fine but the characters and their interactions are fantastic, loving the Lost-esque structure of each episode having their own flashback character. I've enjoyed the show more and more each episode because of this - slowly unraveling these inmates, the reason they're in prison and their relationships with everyone else. Schilling is a pretty good lead and Jason Biggs is serviceable. I've never been a huge fan of Prepon but she's fine here, although probably my least favorite part of the show so far (she hasn't appeared much yet so that's been okay). I did, however, appreciate dem titties in the first few minutes of the pilot.

JCX

Trailer didn't look amazing, and I'm still sour about what happened to Weeds, but I'll give this a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom