• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Ya no

Just updated to mavericks and my macbook pro is no longer telling me to service the battery. I find that a bit weird, but the battery life at a full charge is definitely much better than what it was before the update so that's pretty sweet for me. It was terrible before.

timnich

I know I missed this somewhere in the thread, but how do you do a fresh install? I'm currently downloading Mavericks, and have all my important files backed up. Is there an option when you start the installer?

Just the command at the bottom.

What is the output you're looking for?

Mavericks uses memory much differently from anything else. People don't have to watch it like a hawk anymore. But anything that used the original Top output will be broken if they need to parse the string. But if you're just using the whole string then there's no problem.

I only have it visible for visual effect. But I don't need my memory showing.

Thank you. Although the way it is displayed is kind of annoying now. Any good CPU usage scripts for Geek Tool as well? The others I tried didn't work well either.

U2NUMB

Well I am a bit worried about my install.. its been at the end of the bar and saying Less than a minute remaining for an hour.

Not sure what to do at this point..

Edit: looking above seems other have had this. Guess I will let it sit there.

Xun

What apps do you have? SL is so old, I'm sure most of what you could possibly have is probably well past compatible.
Autodesk Maya, along with Adobe applications.

With Maya I believe I'll still be able to get the student version of it (hopefully), despite no longer being a student. Adobe applications are a bit more of a problem, but I'll work something out.

It says it's downloading on the App Store, is there anyway to track its progress?

Not there in my Purchases list and the app page just has the gray "downloading" bar.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seems to be quite snappy so far (13" 2012 MBP).

Just wish Google would work on making Chrome less of a system hog.
I'm currently trying out Safari. Been trying to switch from Chrome for a while. Safari's integration is great. But I do have complaints. I am thinking of making a thread if one doesn't exist for people switching from Chrome to Safari.

I'm currently trying out Safari. Been trying to switch from Chrome for a while. Safari's integration is great. But I do have complaints. I am thinking of making a thread if one doesn't exist for people switching from Chrome to Safari.
Please do. Been on Chrome for years, but it Is a system hog and been debating about going to Safari.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got my first Safari Push Notification from MacRumors.

Hopefully it won't be too annoying that I have to turn off pop-ups for it. (I'd keep them in the sidebar list though)

I like the idea. Hope more tech blogs support it. Would be neat if YouTube could support it on a subscriber basis too.

Iacobellis

I've noticed a couple small bugs here and there, but nothing major. Pretty bummed that I lost my Recovery Partition doing a clean install...

Most of the online tutorials involve using the Lion .dmg. Is it possible for me to create a new one right now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Please do. Been on Chrome for years, but it Is a system hog and been debating about going to Safari.
I'll make one when I gather all my thoughts and do some testing. I'm trying it out for a week or so. I really want to stay. I've been with Chrome for so long though. I'm used to so many things.

bremon

Okay thanks guys, mine is a mid-2011 Mac Mini as well. Hope it performs better than Mountain Lion on that Mini.
So far so good, seems pretty snappy. I've only been tinkering with a few settings so far, but I would say it's a definite improvement overall, and the price was right.

GWX

Excited to update my late 2012 Mac mini. Will do so tomorrow. Damn, updating an iPad and an iPhone with iOS 7.0.3 and all the iLife and iWork new versions AND my Mac mini will be FUCKED UP with my 1mbps connection :(

First Mac updated was a 2009 MacBook Pro I had lying around the house. Its pitiful 4GB of RAM squealed out in pain with a few tabs open under 10.7 but with Mavericks it just keeps on ticking and the compressed memory keeps going up!

FINALLY!!!
Safari 7 is absolutely fantastic!
"Open in new tab" is in the first place when you right-click a link! I waited this for so long ;___;

But i have a feeling that the scrolling moves slower than normal... not the inertial scrolling though that works fine, any way to fix that?

Command-clicking on a link is better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Quickly copied and edited all my BTT Safari shortcuts to Finder to have based trackpad tab navigation on it too.

Two finger tiptap for life!

kuppy

I've noticed a couple small bugs here and there, but nothing major. Pretty bummed that I lost my Recovery Partition doing a clean install...

Most of the online tutorials involve using the Lion .dmg. Is it possible for me to create a new one right now?
A partition? Try using disk utility.

I think I will never make the jump to Safari, maybe if I have some spare time I will look into it though.

njean777

Anybody else's scrolling a little weird on the new safari, I like everything about it but the new scrolling it feels slower for some reason.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So BetterTouchTool works fine on Mavericks?
Yep, no problems so far on my end. I only really use it with Safari and now Finder though.

I just checked and they did release an update with "various changes for better Mavericks compatibility" but it was working ok even without it. I'll update it now.

I seem to have recovered about 30 extra gigabytes of memory. Has anybody else experienced recovered memory?

Edit: also the new dictation is awesome!

ramyeon

Just finished the install on my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Performance is great so far - a few stutters here and there but I'd say that's due to Spotlight indexing in the background. I really like the updates to Safari so far.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
And now the decisions regarding sticking with 1Password or using iCloud's keychain begins. I wish the two would work nicely together. *sigh*

Also, any impressions of iPhoto? I'm someone who disliked iPhoto, its workflow, its UI. Never been a fan, but used it to back up iPhone photos and that's about it. Will it change my mind at all?

-GJ-

Maybe you guys can help me. I can't find a clear answer on this. I just installed Mavericks earlier this evening, but I want to do a clean install since my MacBook is getting a little slow and I wanna start fresh. The only USB drives I have are 2 GB and currently I don't have the money to buy a bigger one (yes, I know they are cheap, but I'm saving up). I also don't have any dual-layer DVD's. Is there any way to reinstall Mavericks without the use of a USB-drive or DVD?

I thought about erasing my hard drive through the Recovery Partition and then to redownload Mavericks and reinstall it (still using the Recovery Partition), but I'm not sure if my Recovery Partition will get erased too when I erase my hard drive.

kuppy

Safari is a lot better than Chrome on OS X. A bit smoother and using less resources.
It's actually Firefox, no idea if Safari can run all my addons and scripts, but yeah Safari doesn't look as bad as it did quite some while back.

Edit: -GJ- you don't have to install it today, I'm sure a friend can give a USB stick on your next encounter, visit or whatever.

My screen has been at "Time Remaining: Less than a minute" for a good 10 minutes.

Halp?

Edit: Guess like everyone else, posting on GAF fixes the issue. :jnc

Top Bottom