• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've fiddled with some of the backend files a bit to make my desktop look the way I like in OS X 10.6. Can I assume that most of these files will revert back to default when I update?

Crateman

Left my MacBook Pro downloading Mavericks before heading to work and finish some stuff.

Is there any recommended method to do a clean Mavericks install coming from Mountain Lion?

Iacobellis

I couldn't believe this was free when I saw the keynote. Going forward, this should make the entry price of Macs easier to swallow.

kaskade

I'm done downloading. I have to go to class so I'm waiting until after. It'll give me something to look forward to.

LCfiner

I've been using the dev preview for a while and the best performance feature that i can notice is compressed memory.

I got 8gb ram in the Macbook Pro retina but the swap file size is at zero MB 99% of the time. It just compresses whatever is in ram really aggressively and I never need to deal with slow swap files.

Fairly nice improvement over ML on the same machine.

Flek

Banned
yesus fucking christ why did they have to change right click open in tab from second to first option. I keep on opening in new window because of this

mrkgoo

I've been using the dev preview for a while and the best performance feature that i can notice is compressed memory.

I got 8gb ram in the Macbook Pro retina but the swap file size is at zero MB 99% of the time. It just compresses whatever is in ram really aggressively and I never need to deal with slow swap files.

Fairly nice improvement over ML on the same machine.

So basically, Apple has just allowed us to download more RAM?

(And battery!)

Ambitious

Tried the same, got an error message, now I can't even redownload it because it says "Installed". Oh dear.

In case somebody has the same problem:

Close the MAS, enter "defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true" in Terminal.app. Open the MAS and select "Reset Application" from the Debug menu. Sign out from the store and sign in again.

It may be possible that signing out/in may suffice, just try it first.

kuppy

So if I press the power button on a MacBook now it goes into sleep mode or what? Can I change that back so that I can decide to shut down, restart, sleep etc.?

btw the new iWork icons are really cool

Seems to work nicely on my retina MBP. I suddenly gained 14G free space after installing (?) and the UI feels smoother, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Flek

Banned
So if I press the power button on a MacBook now it goes into sleep mode or what? Can I change that back so that I can decide to shut down, restart, sleep etc.?

btw the new iWork icons are really cool

yeah press CRTL + Power Button

paparazzo

DIdn't there used to be a fast scrolling speed option under Mouse in settings? Scrolling is slower now and I can't find the option.

Edit: found it under Accessiblity.

jstripes

Banned
Getting iLife updates free as well, even though I'm not a new user. So Mavericks, iWork and iLife all free today. Pretty good!

Same here. Although, it still says "iPhoto '11" in the App Store.

BUT, the iPhoto update is still useless for me until they update Aperture to support the new database format.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ha ha, yup. We are living the dream and downloading more RAM.
Remember all the bogus programs in the 90's that promised to compress stuff in memory and give you more RAM space?

I'm still kinda shocked that this is being talked about as a working implementation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. It sucks. I can't find a way to revert it. I am so used to pressing that to restart or shut down from the popup menu. But now it just sleeps and then I have to wait for it to finish going to sleep before it will start waking back up so I can do what I wanted to do in the first place.

I swear this used to be an option. Now it's gone. C'mon, Apple! Put that shit back in 10.9.1.

Konka

Banned
What the hell is up with my download? It is showing up in launchpad as an app and just say waiting, no download bar or evidence it is downloading in the appstore :(

Finally got it. Took mad long.

So far, I've noticed swiping gestures is kinda jerky. I've had Mavericks for about half an hour now and Mission Control, Expose and Launchpad take a little longer and jerkier than before to execute.

I also find it annoying that I have to raise my hand to swipe back down to close Mission Control. Before I could just swipe up and down in one motion to execute and back but I cant seem to do that anymore.

My machine in general just feels slower. I dunno why. Well I guess its not done optimizing yet.

Top Bottom