• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

X-Frame

Anybody else's scrolling a little weird on the new safari, I like everything about it but the new scrolling it feels slower for some reason.

Mine is getting caught or something, seems to happen randomly.

Also Safari seems much slower for me compared to ML, maybe I need a restart or something ..

Juice

Maybe you guys can help me. I can't find a clear answer on this. I just installed Mavericks earlier this evening, but I want to do a clean install since my MacBook is getting a little slow and I wanna start fresh. The only USB drives I have are 2 GB and currently I don't have the money to buy a bigger one (yes, I know they are cheap, but I'm saving up). I also don't have any dual-layer DVD's. Is there any way to reinstall Mavericks without the use of a USB-drive or DVD?

I thought about erasing my hard drive through the Recovery Partition and then to redownload Mavericks and reinstall it (still using the Recovery Partition), but I'm not sure if my Recovery Partition will get erased too when I erase my hard drive.

You can do it but only if you delete the partition OS X is installed to. Since the drive contains the recovery partition you can't actually wipe the whole drive from it.

-GJ-

You can do it but only if you delete the partition OS X is installed to. Since the drive contains the recovery partition you can't actually wipe the whole drive from it.

Alright, so if I only wipe my OS X partition my MacBook won't turn into a brick, correct? I'm trying to borrow a stick from my friends but only one has a 16 GB stick and he uses it all the time, so that sadly isn't an option.

And now the decisions regarding sticking with 1Password or using iCloud's keychain begins. I wish the two would work nicely together. *sigh*

Also, any impressions of iPhoto? I'm someone who disliked iPhoto, its workflow, its UI. Never been a fan, but used it to back up iPhone photos and that's about it. Will it change my mind at all?

I don't know what to do about this either. Hmmmm.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maps on Mavericks having icloud bookmark sync now makes it way more useful than google maps for me, not necessarily because of the syncing but because new google maps is kind of shitty and doesn't let you name saved places.

ramyeon

Do I need to turn on iCloud Keychain on my iPhone somehow? Can't see any option for it under iCloud like there is in OSX.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wait, what's wrong with using both KeyChain and 1Password? I have both and they both work fine together.

Do they? I heard people saying, during the iOS7 beta, that there were issues and conflicts, and I believe 1Password, even prior to this, recommended keeping Keychain off if you're using it.

I'm just worried as all. If they're redundant and both can play nice together, fantastic.

kennah

So... on my 2009 MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 C2D

My max battery life went up by 2 hours.

And it seems to be going down slower.

And it seems peppier.

This is awesome.

Mine is getting caught or something, seems to happen randomly.

Also Safari seems much slower for me compared to ML, maybe I need a restart or something ..

Yeah, I think it might be that when I scroll down, I kinda scroll to the side a bit too and then it snaps back? I was playing around with it and could make it do it over and over.

jstripes

Banned
I have the first GM of Mavericks installed, trying to download the final (it's a newer build), App Store tells me I have it installed already but to click "Continue" to download anyway. So, I click continue... and nothing happens.

Anyone else having trouble?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do they? I heard people saying, during the iOS7 beta, that there were issues and conflicts, and I believe 1Password, even prior to this, recommended keeping Keychain off if you're using it.

I'm just worried as all. If they're redundant and both can play nice together, fantastic.
For me they do. I mean I personally have had no problems. What kinds of problems are they talking about?

Goldenhen

I have the first GM of Mavericks installed, trying to download the final (it's a newer build), App Store tells me I have it installed already but to click "Continue" to download anyway. So, I click continue... and nothing happens.

Anyone else having trouble?

Need to do clean install.

This update is very disappointing. Laggy as shit on my 2011 MBA (which was zippy on ML), the inertia scrolling algorithm seems to have changed (for the worse), Calendar (like its iOS 7 counterpart) sacrifices productivity for aesthetics, Safari seems to drain the battery like crazy, Messages made my speech bubbles and those of the person I'm talking to the same color (without losing the gloss).

Half-baked update. Should've named it Liger or something, and then really ushered in a new era with the whole geography-based theme Mavericks is starting with an update next year to bring ALL the apps (except Calendar, eek) to parity with iOS 7.

Right now, it's an unsavory smorgasbord. With all this lag, I can't think of a single thing I'm really over the moon about except being able to reply to messages without switching my window (and, in theory, the new power saving features, but my battery life is shit no matter what and has somehow gotten even worse).

ramyeon

This update is very disappointing. Laggy as shit on my 2011 MBA (which was zippy on ML), the inertia scrolling algorithm seems to have changed (for the worse), Calendar (like its iOS 7 counterpart) sacrifices productivity for aesthetics, Safari seems to drain the battery like crazy, Messages made my speech bubbles and those of the person I'm talking to the same color (without losing the gloss).

Half-baked update. Should've named it Liger or something, and then really ushered in a new era with the whole geography-based theme Mavericks is starting with an update next year to bring ALL the apps (except Calendar, eek) to parity with iOS 7.

Right now, it's an unsavory smorgasbord. With all this lag, I can't think of a single thing I'm really over the moon about except being able to reply to messages without switching my window (and, in theory, the new power saving features, but my battery life is shit no matter what and has somehow gotten even worse).
Has your spotlight finished indexing? Honestly I just can't imagine how or why you're experiencing lag like that when mine feels snappier and speedier overall on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have to get the installer to do the clean install.

The installer is gotten through the App Store.
Recovery Partition should do it right.

Am I correct in thinking that since the Recovery mode downloads the installer when you perform the install that it should grab the proper final version as long as you're on the GM? Since the GM should be the final one.

You should be able to reboot into the Recovery mode and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive then install fresh onto it. Then restore from a backup using Migration Assistant.

Konka

Banned

Must be something up with your installation. This is faster than my 2010 13" Pro has ever been. I found a bug. If you keep hitting volume up it will keeping beeping despite being at full volume.

jstripes

Banned
Recovery Partition should do it right.

Am I correct in thinking that since the Recovery mode downloads the installer when you perform the install that it should grab the proper final version as long as you're on the GM? Since the GM should be the final one.

You should be able to reboot into the Recovery mode and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive then install fresh onto it. Then restore from a backup using Migration Assistant.

Here's the thing: The App Store gives me the option to download the installer, it just doesn't follow through. Other people on GM1 have gotten it to work, but for me it's just not going. It was giving me Error 1004 earlier, but now nothing.

Has your spotlight finished indexing? Honestly I just can't imagine how or why you're experiencing lag like that when mine feels snappier and speedier overall on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13".
It isn't indexing anything now, but I just realized that it's doing a Time Machine backup right now. That might explain the lag, so I will likely eat my words later on.

By the way, to whoever told me a few weeks ago that the new Safari stops automatically refreshing the page when going back to the previous page, you will be glad to know that you were either woefully mistaken or Apple changed something from beta to now, because it still force refreshes. In ML it happened for every page, and now it happens about 70% of the time, which is even more frustrating because now I don't know if it's an intentional design choice or a glitch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Here's the thing: The App Store gives me the option to download the installer, it just doesn't follow through. Other people on GM1 have gotten it to work, but for me it's just not going. It was giving me Error 1004 earlier, but now nothing.
It shouldn't matter. If you're on the GM, just reboot your computer with Option held down.

If you have a second machine that's still on Mountain Lion, download the installer, but before you run it, make a copy of it and place it somewhere for later.

Once you're on Mavericks, redownloading it is moot. Since you can just reboot into Recovery mode to reinstall without needing the installer app.

Sanic

When clicking the battery icon there's now an "Apps using significant energy" section, which is listing Chrome 29 in my case.

Has anyone done any kind of battery test with web browsers yet? Would love to get some extra battery life out of my Air even if it means swithing to something else.

GWX

When clicking the battery icon there's now an "Apps using significant energy" section, which is listing Chrome 29 in my case.

Has anyone done any kind of battery test with web browsers yet? Would love to get some extra battery life out of my Air even if it means swithing to something else.

Safari is the most energy efficient browser, because it uses less CPU, according to Apple. I haven't made any tests, but I don't see why they would be lying.

I also noticed Mavericks has a slightly darker color profile. My screen looks..I guess "richer" in color after the update and I really like this. Not sure if anyone else notices it too but my external monitor looks fantastic and better than before.

kaskade

Safari is the most energy efficient browser, because it uses less CPU, according to Apple. I haven't made any tests, but I don't see why they would be lying.

Yeah, I remember when the verge reviewed the new MBA they said safari gave it about an hour of extra battery life over Chrome.

Right now my 2013 Air is said 12.5 hours. I'm only browsing on Safari though, I'm sure if I was watching some youtube and stuff it would drop a bit. If I remember correctly it would say around 10 hours before.

Artemisia

Banned
I love this:

frUmyqB.png

ramyeon

Only getting 4 and a half hours predicted usage on my mid 2010 13" Pro. That said my battery is most likely in pretty bad shape. I have it plugged into power essentially 24/7. Might try running it down and charging it up again.

kaskade

Wow I just noticed they changed the right click menu in safari. Finally they put open in a new tab above the window option.

I also like the frosted dock when it's on the side of the screen.

ramyeon

Only getting 4 and a half hours predicted usage on my mid 2010 13" Pro. That said my battery is most likely in pretty bad shape. I have it plugged into power essentially 24/7. Might try running it down and charging it up again.
I take that back, it keeps going up. Now at 5 and a half hours despite going down in percentage. Nice.

Mavericks is so snappy, I love it. And hallelujah that faux linen is gone!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doing a fresh install on my Air from the GM using the method I was suggesting.

Taking forever to download. Realllly should have waited until tomorrow since I'm now without a computer.

Oh well. lol

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Did an update from Mountain Lion to Mavericks tonight on my 2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

Wow - this is much nicer than I was expecting. The stuttering on sites is definitely improved. It's far from gone - it's still immediately apparent to the discerning eye on a site like The Verge. And when loading images, I can see the scroll bar skip around a bit. Still, much better than it was. Totally more enjoyable.

The aesthetic is definitely better. Still hoping we see more color and a flat design that mimics iOS7 in the next release; but as a stop-gap, this is pretty nice.

Notifications are much improved. Look better. Faster. And being able to reply is great.

Overall, seems a bit snappier. Still not perfect - but worth it for this gorgeous display.

RDreamer

Well this sucks. I'm trying to install and it says my HDD is damaged and can't be repaired or something... Stuck in an endless loop. Fuck

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Still downloading. 1 hour and 12 minutes.

Well this sucks. I'm trying to install and it says my HDD is damaged and can't be repaired or something... Stuck in an endless loop. Fuck
You'll have to reformat and reinstall. Then migrate from your backup. Which you should have since it's 2013.

Cocaine

Banned
Maybe a dumb question but if I install maverick, will some programs not work? What would effectively happen to my stuff?

RDreamer

Still downloading. 1 hour and 12 minutes.

You'll have to reformat and reinstall. Then migrate from your backup. Which you should have since it's 2013.
i have a time machine backup, but how do you migrate from it? Wouldn't that bring whatever problem? I can't seem to get my computer out of the install loop at this point anyway =/

KingKong

Does anyone else have trouble playing movie files with Quicktime after the update? The files that were working perfectly before now start 'Converting'

e: ok looks like issue is that Perian doesnt work on 10.9 so it cant open .avi files. LAAAME

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
i have a time machine backup, but how do you migrate from it? Wouldn't that bring whatever problem? I can't seem to get my computer out of the install loop at this point anyway =/
No because the problem is with the file system. Not a file itself.

Also Migration Assistant will let you migrate from a Time Machine backup.

Hold down Power until te machine turns off. Then start up holding Option. Choose Recovery and use Disk Urility to check the drive for problems.

Top Bottom