• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

moniker

I just want to echo what others have said re: VLC vs MPlayerX.

Downloading Mavericks now to try out on my old Macbook Pro before my shiny new retina arrives tomorrow. Good times.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can you still use a hot corner to put the display to sleep?
Yep. Still working on mine (Macbook Air). Tried activating a screensaver hot corner and it's working too, I think it's an issue on biggyfries' end.

L034

Not sure if posted yet, but the free iWork 09 trial counts as a valid upgrade path for the new iWork apps on the Mac App Store.

So it's a nice way to get Pages, Numbers, Keynote completely free.

Thank you !

This should be in the OP.

X-Frame

iBooks doesn't feel like it should be ready for release. Going full screen seems to cause some stability issues.

Why does it open the book to a new window?

How do I edit metadata for a book or PDF? I can't find it anywhere, but was able to edit everything in iTunes.

It just seems like a half-ass version of iBooks for iOS.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Updated my Mac Mini that was on Lion and my MBP Retina that was on Mountain Lion. Haven't had a chance to mess with it.

For my Mac Mini that works as a HTPC, MPlayerOSX was always superior to MPlayer X and VLC. Too bad it isn't updated anymore.

Jigolo

I love this:

frUmyqB.png
Finally this might make Google go and finally optimize Chrome.

Pls Goog

Number45

This '09 trial thing... do I need to have been in the trial already or can I go and get it now? Any instructions on what needs to be done?

Deku Tree

I used to have 95GB available on my rMBP. After I installed Mavericks I now have 114.54GB available.

I have no idea how I got the extra 20GB. But I'll take it.

Anyone have any idea how Mavericks saved me all that space?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I used to have 95GB available on my rMBP. After I installed Mavericks I now have 114.54GB available.

Hmm, if you're on a rMBP it's probably not the redefinition of a kilobyte and subsequent units from 1024 to 1000. I think that happened with Lion.

Deku Tree

Hmm, if you're on a rMBP it's probably not the redefinition of a kilobyte and subsequent units from 1024 to 1000. I think that happened with Lion.

Grandperspecitive says that "Sleep Image" now only takes up 1GB. It used to take up 16GB because that's how much RAM I have. That must be the compressed memory. Helps a lot. I am not yet sure where the other 5GB savings came from though.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have the Mac "box set" from a few years ago that came with iWork and iLife. If I install that I get the new versions for free?!

lexi

Banned
This '09 trial thing... do I need to have been in the trial already or can I go and get it now? Any instructions on what needs to be done?

You can just download it anywhere you find it. Just google iWork 09 trial. I ran Pages once, not even completing it's registration, and the new iWork stuff was immediately available in the App Store.

Sanic

hmmm im getting the swirling rainbow a lot when jumping around web pages. will osx tell me when its done with this optimization it has to do?

Fuu

Grandperspecitive says that "Sleep Image" now only takes up 1GB. It used to take up 16GB because that's how much RAM I have. That must be the compressed memory. Helps a lot. I am not yet sure where the other 5GB savings came from though.
Mine is 1GB now too. Sleep image taking way less space after the update is pretty great.

bionic77

Some of it is because they are compressing the space that is reserved for sleep on the HD.

But that is not 20 gigs worth unless you have more than 20 gigs of ram on that thing.

Same thing happened to me, and I'm on a 2012 Air 13". Went from having around 30 gb of free space to 70! Whatever dark magic Apple's developers are weaving I'll take more of it.

It's crazy how good this update's been, especially compared to Mountain Lion, and that one cost 20$.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is Apple ever going to allow me to cut and paste a file? If not, why not? It's really annoying. I've been on OSX for going on six years now and I'm still really annoyed by it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
No return of Rosetta, right?

That's why I stopped at Snow Leopard. :(

ElFly

Um back in snow leopard I could press back and forward in Firefox by using three fingers side swipes, but now that opens full screen apps.

Also CMD + arrows does that too.

Gotta find a fix.

Um back in snow leopard I could press back and forward in Firefox by using three fingers side swipes, but now that opens full screen apps.

Also CMD + arrows does that too.

Gotta find a fix.

I was annoyed by this too. Go into trackpad settings, More Gestures category, then change the 'Swipe Between Pages' dropdown to 'Swipe with three fingers'.

jts

...hate me...
Hey I bought recently OSX Server for Mountain Lion. Am I eligible for a free upgrade to Mavericks, stacking OSX Server on top?

edit: nvm the page is up today. It wasn't yesterday I swear.

Fuu

Thats copy and paste not cut and paste.

You can cut and paste text but I think for files I think you have to move them around with the mouse.
But the shortcut CrudeDiatribe posted does move/cut files. Just keep option pressed when you paste it (command + option + V instead of command + V).

bionic77

Hey I bought recently OSX Server for Mountain Lion. Am I eligible for a free upgrade to Mavericks, stacking OSX Server on top?
I think its free for everyone. All that matters is whether or not your computer is capable.

But the shortcut CrudeDiatribe posted does move/cut files. Just keep option pressed when you paste it (command + option + V instead of command + V).
I did not know that and somehow I did not see that he typed option in as well.

moniker

Thank you for this. How in the world am I supposed to have figured this out on my own?

Try pressing option when having a Finder menu open, you might find other useful things.

And not just Finder, other programs can have option shortcuts also.

Edit: This doesn't answer how you were supposed to figure out this on your own, but it can be good to know going forward.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

If yo have 16GB of RAM or more, the sleep image has been reduced from 16 to about 1 or 2GB with Mavericks. I'm not sure how exactly, and what happens if actually all of the RAM is used? I guess it just doesn't sleep-save if there's no space. I like the approach though.

Deku Tree

Mavericks broke xmarks because iSync does not exist anymore. Can still force upload and download bookmarks though.

iCloud bookmarks always worked terrible for me. Could never get it to sync properly...

Top Bottom