• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Wierdly since updating, highlighting spoilers on NeoGAF when using Dark Theme shows up with white highlight, making it very very hard to read. Anyone else had this? (Safari)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the little tag dots are nowhere near as helpful as the old colored labels as an on-the-fly visual cue in list mode. I'm not sure why they ditched the colored labels outright. They serve a different purpose from tags.

Thank you for this. How in the world am I supposed to have figured this out on my own?

Good question. I think this is one of a few particularly sticky areas for people coming from Windows into the established Mac way of doing things, the other being the function of the green plus button on a window's title bar. On the Mac, there's never been a cut/paste paradigm for files. There are a bunch of philosophical arguments for this and pragmatic ones against this. It is what it is.

Like many powerful tools, learning the tool is secondary; on the Mac this means Apple has worked hard to make basic things discoverable (though not as well as they did in the '80s and '90s), but more powerful things can be hidden if they would be confusing (e.g. Safari's develop menu). One can argue that moving files is basic, but the Mac already has a straight forward way of doing this: drag the file.

Modifier keys are used everywhere on the Mac for expert users: to modify cursor operations, text operations, keyboard commands; many times you need to hold a key when checking out the menus to discover them; hiding them reduces clutter for casual users who don't need them. Everything is a compromise.

I didn't know (or perhaps, remember) before replying to your post that cmd-opt-v was 'move'. I just clicked the edit menu and held option.

Modifier keys affect drag-and-drop too: try holding cmd, opt, and cmd-opt together as you drag a file around to the same volume and different ones.

If you're familiar with image editors, try holding shift and/or option as you resize a window.

I've been using Macs for years and I never knew that "CMD + option + V" moves files.

^^ I use the keyboard for so much (have full keyboard navigation turned on all of my Macs), but I use the cursor for file organization tasks.

snacknuts

we all knew her
so my 2010 MBP has been in "less than a minute remaining" for like 20 minutes, should I be concerned?

When I installed Mountain Lion last year the numbers started going negative. I thought I fell into a wormhole.

DeQKlyT.jpg

Zutroy

Biggest update for me was finding out that Outlook.com now supports IMAP!

Also, I have missed something about Garageband? I thought all the updates were released yesterday, but only iPhoto and iMovie have updated for me.

I have missed something about Garageband? I thought all the updates were released yesterday, but only iPhoto and iMovie have updated for me.

I had to go looking for Garageband. It was still free, but the previous Garageband is now Garageband 6.0.5 on my Mac and I have both installed.

Artemisia

Banned
good fucking god the new calendar is absolutely illegible.

I'm trying to get a good look at the upcoming month and it's just so... I really need to get used to this.

Deku Tree

Grandperspective thinks my volume size is 232GB and my SSD has 94GB of fee space.
Mavericks thinks my volume size is 250GB and my SSD has 115GB of free space.

Which is it? I guess I trust Mavericks but I am not sure why...

Not sure if posted yet, but the free iWork 09 trial counts as a valid upgrade path for the new iWork apps on the Mac App Store.

So it's a nice way to get Pages, Numbers, Keynote completely free.
I installed the trial but i don't get the updates in the appstore.

Kraftwerk

I was trying to download mavericks, and halfway through my macbook crashed. I restarted and everything is as it was, but I'm scared to try again :eek: I have a 15' macbook pro from last year. This happen to anyone else?

Pachimari

Gonna update my MacBook Air tonight but I'm not sure how put the stuff I take a backup of back on the laptop?

I'm not gonna do a clean install though.

This happen to anyone else?

That part is just a file download. Assuming your disk checks out as healthy there should be no problem.

Gotta upgrade my MBA and Mac Mini tonight.

Good so far?

Have done a '10 Mini and an '11 Air with no problems. Mac Pro was a bit of a chore: apparently my SSD boot volume was broken, so had to erase and restore from backup for that, then I had to make the partition smaller to make room for the recovery partition.

GWX

Grandperspective thinks my volume size is 232GB and my SSD has 94GB of fee space.
Mavericks thinks my volume size is 250GB and my SSD has 115GB of free space.

Which is it? I guess I trust Mavericks but I am not sure why...

I believe OS X uses 1GB = 1000MB, and not 1024. It's probably that.

Mobius 1

I was trying to download mavericks, and halfway through my macbook crashed. I restarted and everything is as it was, but I'm scared to try again :eek: I have a 15' macbook pro from last year. This happen to anyone else?

Just downloading it won't make any system changes, it's treated as a regular disk image. Download again and leave the computer alone during the whole process just in case. Particularly during actual installation.

Gonna update my MacBook Air tonight but I'm not sure how put the stuff I take a backup of back on the laptop?

I'm not gonna do a clean install though.

Don't do a clean install and there's nothing to put back. How you do backups will determine how to do a restore should you need to.

Not to sure where to get the iLife trial ;-( apples page says it's not supported.

Also, the new version of Garageband is free it seems, it doesn't update the old one just makes a new one?

aza

good fucking god the new calendar is absolutely illegible.

I'm trying to get a good look at the upcoming month and it's just so... I really need to get used to this.

Feel the same way here...I always use the calendar in full screen, and the month view is a lot harder to read for me. It's better in a smaller window size, though.

RDreamer

This is amazing. MacBook wouldn't update because the file system was corrupt, so I had to restore from time machine. After 3 hours restoring now that's frozen. Great. I won't be able to do any work on my computer today...

lil smoke

Banned
general system optimization, and finder tabs. Plus the linen is gone from the notification center and login screen. That's enough of an improvement for me.
sounds good.

I seem to have recovered about 30 extra gigabytes of memory. Has anybody else experienced recovered memory?

Edit: also the new dictation is awesome!
recovered memory? 30GB? What do you mean?

Just finished the install on my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Performance is great so far - a few stutters here and there but I'd say that's due to Spotlight indexing in the background. I really like the updates to Safari so far.
Good to see Safari continue to improve.

I must be the only person in the world who liked the auto refresh in Safari :(
Very cool. Safari has matured nicely.

Mavericks is cool I guess... Not much has changed. Finder FINALLY has tabs though, so I'm happy.
Tabbed finder, ah ha!

Just use another player?
QT still a piece of shit that runs absolutely nothing, and seems to lose functions every year.

VLC? Mplayer X is like 10 times better.
VLC crashes every other movie now, also feels so damn old. Isn't it funny that we keep improving and upgrading yet the same damn movies can't be jogged, rwd or fwd smoothly? No improvement in video over the decade. Will try this MPX soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

gamma

You can just download it anywhere you find it. Just google iWork 09 trial. I ran Pages once, not even completing it's registration, and the new iWork stuff was immediately available in the App Store.

Hm, I installed the trial earlier in the day but nothing shows up for me. They probably fixed it. Bummer.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Biggest update for me was finding out that Outlook.com now supports IMAP!

Also, I have missed something about Garageband? I thought all the updates were released yesterday, but only iPhoto and iMovie have updated for me.

I had to go looking for Garageband. It was still free, but the previous Garageband is now Garageband 6.0.5 on my Mac and I have both installed.
Not to sure where to get the iLife trial ;-( apples page says it's not supported.

Also, the new version of Garageband is free it seems, it doesn't update the old one just makes a new one?
I can't check it right now but if I understood correctly the new version of GarageBand is free with IAP while the older version has the full feature set, so I'd advise against deleting the previous version even if you install the new one.

kennah

No return of Rosetta, right?

That's why I stopped at Snow Leopard. :(

If you have access to a Snow Leopard computer:

1. Put your Mavericks Mac in Targeted disc mode.
2. Connect it to the Snow Leopard Computer.
3. Insert your Snow Leopard disc.
4. Install Rosetta - selecting the Mavericks Mac as the destination hard drive.
5. Reboot your Mavericks Computer
6. Profit.

I can't check it right now but if I understood correctly the new version of GarageBand is free with IAP while the older version has the full feature set, so I'd advise against deleting the previous version even if you install the new one.

Aw man.....I already deleted it :-(

moniker

6. Profit.

Mind blown.

So... anyone else experience this? Different people in Messages have their messages formatted differently, my dad, who only messages me from an iPhone has yellow backgrounds but the same font as my messages; my partner's messages are in a massive Futura font with a white background.

Huh. I took from the presentation that there were IAP purchases (similar to the Jam Packs and lessons of yore).

Aw man.....I already deleted it :-(

I can download Garageband 6.0.5 from the Mac App Store from my 'Purchased' list.

Zodzilla

6. Profit.

Wait, this works? Whaaa? Have you actually tried this? Or are you just guessing?

6. Profit.

That works? Holy shit. Can you just boot of a USB 10.6 drive and install to the local 10.9 system? I'd do this just to play Tropico 2 again.

Feels like a very minor update but the ability to send driving directions to my phone from the desktop Maps app alone makes it worthwhile. Love that feature.

kennah

Wait, this works? Whaaa? Have you actually tried this? Or are you just guessing?
Worked in Lion and Mountain Lion

It doesn't give 100% compatibility but helps get most stuff working.

EDIT: Testing it now to put my money where my mouth is. Ran into an issue where 10.6 can't read a 10.9 disk in targeted mode. I'm not sure if that's because I have a fusion drive or if they actually plugged this loophole. Going to keep trying and get back to you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like a very minor update but the ability to send driving directions to my phone from the desktop Maps app alone makes it worthwhile. Love that feature.

Except that it's for Apple Maps.

Better to just send Google Maps directions to your Gmail and set the Gmail app to open links with the Google Maps application on your phone.

Of course, you live in the Bay Area, so I'm sure Apple Maps is just fine.

kennah

My apologies everyone. Snow Leopard cannot read a Fusion drive no matter what you throw at it. The method should still work for single drive computers, but I don't have a way to test it just yet.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
No, that ship sailed. What PowerPC-only stuff are you using?

MacMAME. Some games. Elite Force 1 & 2, among others. :|

Rosetta is not coming back. Neither is Classic. It's been 8 years. Time to find new apps.

Emu scene is a little volatile in that regard. I still have a gumdrop iMac in case I want to check in on Classic.

6. Profit.

Is this real life?

Thank you! Will try this soon!

Pachimari

Oh okay I see, maybe I can use my Apple TV/HDTV for reading projects while programming on my laptop in the sofa.

Btw, I can't seem to find, where I send a route from Maps on the Mac to my iPhone? How do I do this?

Except that it's for Apple Maps.

Better to just send Google Maps directions to your Gmail and set the Gmail app to open links with the Google Maps application on your phone.

Of course, you live in the Bay Area, so I'm sure Apple Maps is just fine.
Yeah I've never had a problem with Apple Maps in CA.

Top Bottom