• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't believe that's true, at least it wasn't for Lion and Mountain Lion. Haven't updated to Mavericks yet but will try if it's really needed.
Oh, it's true. I couldn't reinstall the final Mavericks from the DP Recovery until I went to my mini and purchased it. It needed me to have a legal license for it in order for it to work. This is the first time I've encountered it because I happened to still be on the DP GM and hadn't gone through with an App Store transaction first.

Maybe it will be different though if you get the app and extract the DMG. Since my case is completely different. The DMG shouldn't need a user ID, but the Recovery reinstallation did.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Seems like even though Pages can now save documents in .doc they removed the .rtf export option. It won't open .rtf files anymore either. Bummer.

Text Edit isn't ideal for some texts, I guess I'll have to copypaste between both apps when needed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The only apparent change I see is..gaf's font is bolded now in Chrome. Why.

Fuu

The iWork Trial exploit seems to be hit and miss from what I read. Works instantly for some while it doesn't work at all for others and/or requires stuff like creating a new user account to get the updates to appear, etc. Looks like a few legacy users that installed iWork from a DVD before MAS are facing issues too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have no need for iWork really. And most of the iLife stuff either. I only use iTunes, sometimes iMovie and I use iPhoto. And I might stop using iMovie since I now have a license for ScreenFlow 4 and it has most of the features iMovie had. Plus I just opened the new one... WTF did they do to the UI? Is everything still there? I need to open one of my projects and see what they did to it.

I just noticed from the first post that you can use an apple tv to make a second screen, that is really interesting and I want to try it this weekend with games.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just noticed from the first post that you can use an apple tv to make a second screen, that is really interesting and I want to try it this weekend with games.
I wonder how the lag would be.

I just bought AirDisplay 4 on sale and there is lag of course. I wonder how streaming to the TV would be. I know some games on iOS are also made to do it and they play fine.

Flek

Banned
ok so i redownloadet iWork's again via the reddit link, installed it and my mac can´t even open it ? Mhew :(

Reddit iWork link worked for me. Thanks!

ok so i redownloadet iWork's again via the reddit link, installed it and my mac can´t even open it ? Mhew :(

Control + Click then open. You can also go into your security settings and allow your mac to open files from anywhere.

Flek

Banned
Reddit iWork link worked for me. Thanks!

Control + Click then open. You can also go into your security settings and allow your mac to open files from anywhere.

no no its not because of the silly security setting, it gives me a error message of some kind and just can´t open it -_-

Fuu

yeah might be because i had an 09 trial installed before (didm´t work) so maybe there are some app files left somewhere?
Uninstall the three iWork apps and then delete:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > iWork '09
Macintosh HD > Users > (username) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.iWork09.plist

then do a fresh install. You probably only need to delete the first one actually. It should make the error go away.

Flek

Banned
Uninstall the three iWork apps and then delete:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > iWork '09
Macintosh HD > Users > (username) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.iWork09.plist

then do a fresh install. You probably only need to delete the first one actually. It should make the error go away.

awesome thx this worked! But i still don't get a free update via the App Store for whatever reason

could it be that this is for the US App Store only?

LCfiner

how do i uninstall apps in mac os x? i just delete the app am i doing it wrong?

you’re doing it right. But if you want to reclaim max amount of hard drive space, there’s an app that helps.

A few apps leave large files in Application support directories (very few. talking about garageband here and maybe a few others.) so you can use this free app to clean out those files if they exist.

http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac

aza

how do i uninstall apps in mac os x? i just delete the app am i doing it wrong?

Yeah, just move it to the trash. For an extensive clean up, search the App name in Finder, then add "System Files are included" and "File visibility: Visible or Invisible" qualifiers to your search. Then delete any related files.

Instead of doing the above, you can also use an app cleaner like LCfiner just mentioned.

The last update I think was from May last year. Perhaps they'll pull it completely then. :/

I don't find the sync that great with other browsers (I use Chrome on Windows at work usually), in the transfer it changes all of the apostrophes to their web-friendly equivalents.

Yeah, but safari 6 came out in June of that year... Safari has been updated a lot since then and windows has gotten nothing. It's been dead and unsupported for a year and a half now.

Number45

Looks like Ultimate Status Bar isn't working at the moment in Safari. For me at least, I don't see any links when I mouse over but the extension looks fine in preferences.

Yeah, but safari 6 came out in June of that year... Safari has been updated a lot since then and windows has gotten nothing. It's been dead and unsupported for a year and a half now.
Fair enough, I'll live without sync for now then.

Yeah, just move it to the trash. For an extensive clean up, search the App name in Finder, then add "System Files are included" and "File visibility: Visible or Invisible" qualifiers to your search. Then delete any related files.

Instead of doing the above, you can also use an app cleaner like LCfiner just mentioned.

thanks, finder search different then spotlight?

also WHEN IS TWEETBOT UPDATING

ramyeon

awesome thx this worked! But i still don't get a free update via the App Store for whatever reason

No, I'm in Australia and it worked fine. Wait an hour or two and then check the App Store again. It can take awhile to show up.

Looks like Ultimate Status Bar isn't working at the moment in Safari. For me at least, I don't see any links when I mouse over but the extension looks fine in preferences.

Fair enough, I'll live without sync for now then.

I mean it sucks they removed it but it's clear they don't care about safari on windows for a little while now.

I haven't been following this thread but I updated last night and I feel everything is a bit snappier/faster (retina macbook pro) esp itunes and chrome, no small sutter on page scroll and its very responsive. Overall good update.

Can you still use a hot corner to put the display to sleep?

Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, everything else is working; dashboard, notification center, desktop, mission control, Sleep, and application windows.

Only thing that isn't working is Screensaver. Weird.

What the hell at the new itunes. I click on an album and it just starts playing the first track. Why can't I get it to display the full track list like before?

Fuu

What the hell at the new itunes. I click on an album and it just starts playing the first track. Why can't I get it to display the full track list like before?
It only does that for me when I click twice. A single click on the cover just brings the full tracklist.

So OS X Mavericks is now fucked after I installed an Apple update.

It is constantly asking me for the "login" keychain password, which is impossible because it no longer exists.

Thank you Apple... you god damned idiots.

Just change your primary language to English and restart. Then the updates will show up. After that change your language back

It only does that for me when I click twice. A single click on the cover just brings the full tracklist.

Thank goodness.

Overall my macbook pro 2009 feels a bit snappier. I was on 10.7 before and I think it's now back to snow leopard snappiness.

Top Bottom