• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

I wish I hadn't installed Mavericks now. One of Apple's updates has messed the whole thing up.

Luckily I have a Windows 7 boot camp installation to fall back on before I do another clean install of Mavericks tomorrow.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just change your primary language to English and restart. Then the updates will show up. After that change your language back
Oh wow, this actually did the trick. I even tried using my US account on the US store earlier but didn't even think of changing the system language since it doesn't even make sense, haha. Thanks for this tip!

I opened it and the entire thing is blank. It's not showing any contacts either.
Did you add the Apple ID you use on the phone on Message Preferences > Accounts?

My install seems to have run fine, although oddly enough Migration Assistant auto-started after rebooting even though I was signed into my user account.

Oh wow, this actually did the trick. I even tried using my US account on the US store earlier but didn't even think of changing the system language since it doesn't even make sense, haha. Thanks for this tip!

Did you add the Apple ID you use on the phone on Message Preferences > Accounts?
Yeah, it asked me for my apple ID and password when I first opened the app. I checked and my phone number is listed right there.

20cent

Banned
Amazing. I updated my 2 years old hackintosh, this is freaking fast, especially with a SSD. Wow.

(My 4y/o MBP, not so much though)

mrkgoo

Can someone go Into terminal an type "id" and hit enter?

What value is your groupid (20 or 501)? An what is the name - is it your username or "staff"?

In really older versions of Mac OS X your user id was 501 and you belonged to a group that was named after yourself and number.

Around snow leopard or lion that changed to staff (20). It didn't cause any issues but legacy users would see many files with permissions under group I'd "fetching".

I changed this on mountain lion so that I was staff.

But seeing the issue crop up again in mavericks. I now belong to a group won't my user name and an id of 20.

Just curious what other people are seeing and whether they did a clean install or one on top.

Thanks.

Tabris

Anyone else having an issue with none of their locations in calendar meetings giving the option for maps? Unless I missed that was a feature? If so, how do I enable it.

EDIT - Nevermind, issue is it requires an exact address format, so when you are just accepting invites it doesn't allow you to map to it. Bad design by Apple.

It should look for an address from location field no matter what, and if it can't understand the format, just show that in the map field.

Can someone go Into terminal an type "id" and hit enter?

What value is your groupid (20 or 501)? An what is the name - is it your username or "staff"?

501 and my username. And I upgraded.

Edit: Is spotlight doing some work right after an upgrade? I'm assuming yes since it's saying that's using the most energy at the moment.

Font in Terminal is a little different. I kinda like it though.

amm

i just upgraded from snow leopard on my 2009/2010 (not quite sure, bought it used this year) 5gb, c2d macbook and it runs very well. happy with it. very impressed!

mrkgoo

501 and my username. And I upgraded.

Edit: Is spotlight doing some work right after an upgrade? I'm assuming yes since it's saying that's using the most energy at the moment.

Font in Terminal is a little different. I kinda like it though.

501 is your user id and username...I was curious about the group ID as in gid = XX (____)

is THAT 501 (your username)?

Mine is a weird mish mash. I might reset my home folder permissions.

501 is your user id and username...I was curious about the group ID as in gid = XX (____)

is THAT 501 (your username)?

Mine is a weird mish mash. I might reset my home folder permissions.

CQWIC6T.png

That should help.

Here on a 2013 MBA, 100% and it shows 8:30, which is lower by about a couple hours of what it usually shows.

Well maybe since it's the first charge on Mavericks. Hopefully.

Sapiens

FYI, if you have an official instal disc or official restore USB with iLife on it, you can extract the pacakage contents and install iLife 11, which will be updated via App Store no probs.

If you just try to install from the package without extracting contents it won't work.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Legit shook that it's possible to get Aperture with a trial too. Not surprised that it didn't work with Final Cut X though, since Apple still supports an official trial period for that one.

kennah

Aperture shows an update for me , but it won't install it. Ah well. I have 2.0 anyway, so that's good enough for me.

Wiz

Been messing around with Safari...I kinda like it. It feels faster and smoother than Chrome. Anyone else using it? I'm going to try it out for a few more days and if I like it enough I'm going to switch. I use Safari a lot on my iPhone, so maybe the syncing would be a nice addition.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Been messing around with Safari...I kinda like it. It feels faster and smoother than Chrome. Anyone else using it? I'm going to try it out for a few more days and if I like it enough I'm going to switch. I use Safari a lot on my iPhone, so maybe the syncing would be a nice addition.
Yes! In the past few weeks, Chrome has gotten worse and worse for me. So I decided to try out Safari for a while and I really like it so far.

But I have a question, and this is more for iOS. But how do I get iCloud Tabs on my iPhone? I have a Cloud in my OS X toolbar and on my iPad, but it doesn't show up anywhere on my iPhone. How do I fix this?

Fake Edit: I Googled and WTF. That's the dumbest way to put a feature in, Apple. You need to scroll down on the Tab Overview page to get to your tabs on other devices. Seriously? It would have taken weeks for me to stumble onto that. Why not just put a damn cloud next to the + button? Seriously.

So now that that's fixed, I hope Safari stays awesome for me. I have had some quirks, but overall, it works great. I normally use a combination of Chrome and Pocket. But since I'm all Apple, I think Safari and Reading List could replace both apps completely for me. Barring any sudden deal breakers.

Wiz

Yes! In the past few weeks, Chrome has gotten worse and worse for me. So I decided to try out Safari for a while and I really like it so far.

But I have a question, and this is more for iOS. But how do I get iCloud Tabs on my iPhone? I have a Cloud in my OS X toolbar and on my iPad, but it doesn't show up anywhere on my iPhone. How do I fix this?

Fake Edit: I Googled and WTF. That's the dumbest way to put a feature in, Apple. You need to scroll down on the Tab Overview page to get to your tabs on other devices. Seriously? It would have taken weeks for me to stumble onto that. Why not just put a damn cloud next to the + button? Seriously.

So now that that's fixed, I hope Safari stays awesome for me. I have had some quirks, but overall, it works great. I normally use a combination of Chrome and Pocket. But since I'm all Apple, I think Safari and Reading List could replace both apps completely for me. Barring any sudden deal breakers.

Yeah, same here. I've had a lot of problems with Chrome in recent weeks. Especially playing videos.

And lol, I had no idea about the tab syncing until you mentioned it. Mind blown.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, same here. I've had a lot of problems with Chrome in recent weeks. Especially playing videos.

And lol, I had no idea about the tab syncing until you mentioned it. Mind blown.
It's a feature I use all the time on Chrome. If Safari didn't have it now, I wouldn't even consider it.

And the Reading List feature is really nice. If only I could somehow export my Pocket list, which has 819 links in it, and import it into my Reading List I'd be happy.

I just wish I could remove the big blue Reader button that I will never use ever. And move the Reload button off the address bar to where it belongs. (I have an extension for that)

The Extensions site is pretty bland and terrible though. They're not hosted at Apple and a lot of them are dead links now. And many don't even work even when they're installed. Fuck. I need a Chrome-like disappearing status bar (Ultimate Statusbar no longer works) and a Google Image Search (The one on the site gives an "This developer’s server appears to be busy. Please try again later." error as do soooo many others.) extension. As well as more that I went through their lists and saw that all the extensions I wanted to use were dead links. This is quite sad. How the hell is the Safari Extension market so dead?

I also miss FavIcons in tabs. HOW CAN APPLE LEAVE THIS OUT? Do they not realize how useful icons are for identifying tabs when you have many open?

mrkgoo

20 & staff here on a MacBook Air (10.7, 10.8, 10.9), and Mac Pro (10.6 through 10.9)

For the record, repairing home permissions didn't fix anything, but I figured out a fix:

Using the directory utility I discovered there was a group under my username (as traditionally pre-leopard), but unlike normal it had the if number identical to the staff group. Changing that and rebooting had everything back to staff.

Also re: aperture not showing in updates - log out and back in again had it show for me (I have a non App Store version).

Also something screwed up my aperture library requiring a repair, which subsequently kicked a bunch of photos from their photostream, which prompted a rebuild which crashed deleting all face data.

Restoring 600GB library from time machine now.

The only thing I don't like about Safari that's a big thing in Chrome: the tabs don't automatically resize when you close a bunch of them until you move away from the tab bar. That is so useful.

Guess Who

Banned
The only thing I don't like about Safari that's a big thing in Chrome: the tabs don't automatically resize when you close a bunch of them until you move away from the tab bar. That is so useful.

This actually is in Safari, unless you're closing the right-most tab.

Maverick is running incredibly fast for me in comparison to Mountain Lion. Apps do not bounce up and down for 5-6 times until it opens up, but instead everything opens up the second I click on it.

I also absolutely love the new Finder by putting tabs on it. Dragging files towards another folder was always such a pain.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Offline dictation.

This is cool, but my Mac has a keyboard. It's Wi-Fi only iOS devices that this feature would really be welcome on.
Ditto. Actually, I wish they had an option on iOS to have Siri be able to work offline for most used commands. My data is 1x speed and really slow and the WiFi at work is useless. So if I could set timers and other most used commands without needing to wait for her to translate my voice, only to miss ever 2 out of 3 times, I'd be happy.

I'm also hoping for Siri in OS X next year. (So sad it wasn't this year.)

Mavericks is installing for the 2nd time. I'm staying away from the firmware update this time around because I'm pretty sure that really messed up the installation.

gokieks

Did a clean install of Mavericks on my Hackintosh, then restored via Time Machine, and with some minor exceptions, everything seems to be working just fine.

First impressions:

1. 2013, and finally some decent basic multi-monitor functionality. This is basically my main reason for upgrading, and it definitely is a major quality of life improvement for me.

2. The Finder tab functionality is actually pretty decent, though I'm not sure how useful it'll be for me. But for Finder, "decent" actually rates as high praise - I find (ha) Finder to be basically the worse part of OS X, and this update doesn't really change that, especially since Apple's refusal to implement middle-click-to-close for tabs (on both Finder and Safari) drives me nuts. I really should try out PathFinder and/or TotalFinder...

3. With the new SMB implementation that supports SMB2, file sharing performance with my W7 machine is much improved. SMB performance with my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) file server though is still bad. This could be because I'm still using Samba 3 on the file server, but my W7 machine gets much better performance from the same server. At any rate, going to have to stick with NFS on OS X, which is not without it's own share of issues (thankfully I've already dealt with them in my previous install).

4. Asepsis doesn't work. This was a program that prevented the creation of .DS_Store files, which I still find to be a bigger hassle than the minor benefits it offers is worth. But OS-level changes has made it so that it won't function in 10.9, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with my file backups on the file server being cluttered up by them.

Yoshiya

safari is a lot better in mavericks but i've noticed it's started to chug again with lots of tabs after a few weeks. it's definitely wasn't doing this after installation.

dual core i5 sandy bridge mbp with an SSD. should probably put more ram in but i have more pressing expenses.

I noticed that by default Mavericks only allows apps to be downloaded from "Mac App Store and identified developers" but at least it gives you the option of changing it.

But for anyone who fears venturing into the system preferences it might be an issue.

I noticed that by default Mavericks only allows apps to be downloaded from "Mac App Store and identified developers" but at least it gives you the option of changing it.

But for anyone who fears venturing into the system preferences it might be an issue.

That's the setting I use anyway - If you download an unsigned file that you know is okay, simply right click and it'll give you the option to open it regardless.

Ambitious

Opened Delicious Library 2, system froze. The music kept playing, but it didn't respond to anything. Had to force restart the Mac. How fucking awesome that by default OS X reopens applications on startup, huh? This time, the DL2 window displayed weird graphic glitches, followed by a freeze again.

Well, business as usual. I've seen that kind of graphics glitch many times before. Scrolling speed and acceleration suck again. As usual.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Any apps to change the dock back to clear? I had mine clear with custom indicator lights but none of the programs work now.

Top Bottom