• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Rnr1224

ive downloaded the update and my computer goes to restart but now im stuck at the "Install OS X" screen with the logo on the bottom of the screen. any help is appreciated!

Flo_Evans

Everything seems to be working swell for me except After Effects CS5. :(

Well it appears to be working but all kinds of errors on load.

Number45

I think I'll skip Aperture. It feels dirtier than the iWork stuff because I need to put in a serial number and names etc. I use LR anyway, so I don't need it!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Every time I do a clean install I always want to use and love Safari, and generally it is great, but not being able to close a tab with the middle click just totally throws out what I am use to, is there any simple way to fix this? I also really don't get on with these "Top Sites" new tab pages that browsers use, why can I never just stick some bookmarks on there without issue?

But besides that, Mavericks is working pretty smooth on my Mid 09 MacBook so far.

Maybe with everyone stealing Aperture, Apple will add more people to the development team to support the expanded user base.

Have heard that 3.5 is a performance leap, but I haven't tried it. Have been using it since v1.5 and am pretty happy with it.

This battery life, Jesus. I'm pretty sure there must be something wrong with my Macbook because this is crazy otherwise. 75% charge with 1 hour 5 mins estimated.

Would let it run down, it may be a calibration problem.

jstripes

Banned
Well, I think it's safe to say this App Store issue guarantees that the next version of Aperture (X, 4.0, whatever) will be a paid upgrade from 3.5.

Rnr1224

managed to run the installer again and im at the "Downloading additional components. Your computer will restart automatically" hopefully it all goes smoothly this time!

iddqd

Are there some performance numbers out yet?
Maverick is running fine on my new macbook air but I'm wondering what would happen to the 2010ish macbook pro.

Snow Leopard is running smooth.. guess I should not screw with that...

Milennia

Was a pretty seamless download for me, just let it sit overnight.

I upgraded from lion, so things are moving a bit better for me atm at first glance.

Konka

Banned
Are there some performance numbers out yet?
Maverick is running fine on my new macbook air but I'm wondering what would happen to the 2010ish macbook pro.

Snow Leopard is running smooth.. guess I should not screw with that...

It's the fastest my 2010 13" Pro has ever been.

Ambitious

Mission Control still isn't fixed entirely.

When you activate MC while a fullscreen window is active, it will display your first screen. Yet you can't swipe to the left the get to the second screen, because actually the fullscreen window is active.
When you swipe to the right, you'll get to the screen left of the fullscreen window as you should, but it will slide in from the right.

Dany

Banned
Mission Control still isn't fixed entirely.

When you activate MC while a fullscreen window is active, it will display your first screen. Yet you can't swipe to the left the get to the second screen, because actually the fullscreen window is active.
When you swipe to the right, you'll get to the screen left of the fullscreen window as you should, but it will slide in from the right.

Huh.... :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He's probably doing what I have been doing and selecting the 2nd item on the list as a force of habit as that's where tabs used to be.

It's taken me a while to get used to...
I came from Chrome and am trying out Safari and I keep clicking "look up" instead of "Search with Google". Every time I'm surprised when the dictionary pops up. As much as I like the feature, I'm gonna have to get used to the location.

Muscle memory is a finicky thing.

Do wish I had Google Image Search built-in. The Safari Extensions database website is a clusterfuck of broken links and limited resources.

Shiiiiit I tried to install the update and it says my disk is damaged. Now I'm in disc utility and it says i need to repair my disc but the option is greyed out even after i clicked verify. Help!

3b5eLaC

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Shiiiiit I tried to install the update and it says my disk is damaged. Now I'm in disc utility and it says i need to repair my disc but the option is greyed out even after i clicked verify. Help!
Yeah. I've had this before, as have a bunch of people here recently. This means your disk's index or whatever is corrupt and you need to reformat it. But you need to boot off another disk. Because it needs to be reformatted from outside.

But first have you tried booting from the Recovery and tried seeing if it let you repair it from there?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's a recovery one? I'm confused. I've got no back up.
A) Make a backup. Buy a hard drive. They're cheap. And purchase a backup app like Carbon Copy Cloner, or use whatever your HDD comes with. (I'd recommend CCC though since it'll be bootable and you'll need that.)
B) Hold Option when you reboot. Immediately after the BONG hold Option and click the Recovery option.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How do i make a backup?
CCC makes it dead simple. But it's $40. But it's easy as pie and very useful and lets you schedule backups.

Also, most new external HDD's come with backup software these days so you'll still have a free option.

Do you have an external HDD?

If not, can you buy one?

But, first try the Recovery option. But DO NOT do any reformatting until you backup. (Unless you literally have no files on your machine.)

What's your situation? Your computer? What OS X version are you on right now?

X-Frame

Am I the only one that wishes iBooks was still being worked on and saved for 9.1 or something, because I think it is a shadow or what iBooks for iOS is.

Is there any way for me to uninstall it and get my books (and ability to edit metadata) back into iTunes?

Is an imac 27 inch. I cant get to anything though, i cant even work out how to boot it up like it used to. How do I use a backup app if i cant get beyond disc utility or the installer? I'm crying...

How do I use a backup app if i cant get beyond disc utility or the installer? I'm crying...

If you just quit the installer it should reboot back to the iMac's system as you're used to. Failing that, 'Startup disk' from the Apple menu should let you select it.

It may not, but worry about that later, it's not necessarily the end of the world.

The error message you're getting happened to me on one of my Macs too.

How do i make a backup?

Simplest way to clone your drive to an external one:
1. Attach drive.
2. Open Disk Utility
3. (optionally) Select the external drive. Format/repartition it if you want. You need to have a partition at least as big as your Mac's disk.
4. Select the system drive
5. Click Restore tab
6. Drag the volume you're putting backup on to the Destination: field
7. Click Restore button
8. Read/understand/approve dialog message
9. Wait

The above instructions will work whether booted to your regular system or the installer.

123rl

How do I hide the menu bar on the second screen? I want to use it to watch VLC but the menu bar spoils it. I got around that by watching VLC on the primary screen but that meant I didn't have a dock on the second screen! /rage

Panic over!

Found an article on CNET about the error and turns out Repair Disc works when you reboot into recovery and then use the disc utility from there. Then i restarted and it installed ok. But tomorrow I'm gonna see if i can sell some games to buy myself a backup drive. Thanks guys.

Elchele

The iWork trick didn't work for me :( meh

surely, there must be a better way to download this than the app store?

bud pls, Apple is pushing their shitty store so it's the only official way to download it. You can also use torrents, tho

bud

this is the third time i'm trying to download it. the second time it failed, it didn't even tell me that it had failed the download. i came back to my laptop only to see that the download bar in the dock had disappeared. please understand, jupp.

has anyone else here torrented it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Panic over!

Found an article on CNET about the error and turns out Repair Disc works when you reboot into recovery and then use the disc utility from there. Then i restarted and it installed ok. But tomorrow I'm gonna see if i can sell some games to buy myself a backup drive. Thanks guys.
Definitely get a drive of the same size or bigger of what you have. Backups are important. You were crying now, but you'd be crying worse if you lost everything.

If you look at the packages or the included software, if you can't purchase CCC, at least make sure the HDD comes with free backup software included just to get you started. (It might not be bootable, but it'll keep your ass safe. I still recommend CCC since it makes clones that can easily be restored from when you replace the machine or HDD.)

Edit: Shit, didn't mean to double-post.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Set it up with Time Machine instead of doing a manual clone job.
There's a good idea too. TM is free. And keep the drive connected so it does its backups at all times. Best part is the easy to use restore UI and you can use it for Migration Assistant.

Edit: I saw your edit. I actually recommend TM in this case since it's an iMac which will be connected to the drive at all times instead of over a network, and while you can't boot from it, it is still very useful and very powerful and very free.

Just make sure to reformat it out of the box first. Even if it's already for Mac. I always reformat.

Flek

Banned
The iWork trick didn't work for me :( meh

o

you have to set the system language (main) to english AND the location to US (all in system settings) then try again. You can change it back after getting the free updates.

What i like about the updates, once done they count as purchased in your itunes store. So i can install them on all my macs

kennah

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/24...-and-ilife-not-worried-about-unethical-users/

For those that were curious

It’s no coincidence that Apple’s support site doesn’t have downloads for the new Aperture, iWork, and iLife updates. They aren’t in our Software Update system either – and there’s a good reason for that. With Mavericks, we have changed the way we distribute updates for legacy versions of our apps

Rather than maintain separate updates for these in addition to the Mac App Store versions of each app, Apple has decided to eliminate their legacy software update system for apps entirely. Instead, when Mavericks discovers legacy apps installed on your Mac, it provisions them as a Mac App Store purchase using your Apple ID. It saves us a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth. After the provision is complete, it will appear in your Mac App Store history as though you have purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.

So, in the end, not having separate trials/physical/et cetera versions of the software is saving them money in the end.

Free software for everyone!

Flek

Banned
well one more reason why apple is fucking awesome and MS can fuck right off. So apple gave us iwork, aperture and mavericks for free?

iltliEEJWaYgH.gif

I saw your edit. I actually recommend TM in this case since it's an iMac which will be connected to the drive at all times instead of over a network, and while you can't boot from it, it is still very useful and very powerful and very free.

Ah; I just saw we'd posted at the same time and remembered our recent discussion about it in another Mac thread.

well one more reason why apple is fucking awesome and MS can fuck right off. So apple gave us iwork, aperture and mavericks for free?

If you choose to exploit it. Apple has usually been pretty good about not bothering with license keys on their non-pro products, and I'll be pretty happy to not have to dig out two Aperture boxes to install it on a new system (upgrade serial number needs a previous serial number).

KingSlime

How do I hide the menu bar on the second screen? I want to use it to watch VLC but the menu bar spoils it. I got around that by watching VLC on the primary screen but that meant I didn't have a dock on the second screen! /rage

I'm pretty sure this is a bug. It's happening for me as well when trying to fullscreen Hulu and Netflix on my second screen (TV through HDMI).

A few additional hiccups I've noticed:
- Trackpad gestures aren't as smooth. This includes webpage scrolling as well as opening Mission Control, etc.
- My fan is going a lot more than it did previously. Streaming Netflix or Hulu makes the fan constantly hum, whereas this didn't happen for me before.

On the plus side, battery life seems to have increased. On a Early 2011 MBP.

Anyone else experiencing the above? I saw someone earlier in the thread mention the trackpad issues. Hoping this will all get fixed in an update.

kennah

I noticed it was a little slower - and went into the settings and it had moved down two notches in the sensitivity *shrug* maybe it's that simple.

I'm not getting the red notification for iMessage, but I am hearing the notification sound [when getting a new message].

Any ideas on how to fix this?

coldfoot

Banned
What an ugly ass default background they chose for this OS. Changed it with the view of Earth from space.
That plus apparently mail app is having issues with Gmail. Gmail is shit and I'm glad I'm completely free of it and went to outlook.com. Plus I use outlook over the mail app as I think it's better.

mrkgoo

Ah; I just saw we'd posted at the same time and remembered our recent discussion about it in another Mac thread.

If you choose to exploit it. Apple has usually been pretty good about not bothering with license keys on their non-pro products, and I'll be pretty happy to not have to dig out two Aperture boxes to install it on a new system (upgrade serial number needs a previous serial number).

Yah. I bought mine on education not too long before the App Store appeared.

This is great!

mrkgoo

So we're basically all morally bankrupt for stealing software? I can live with that.

It's funny because I bought a new iMac that doesn't ship with a drive. That's how I justified getting a super drive, because if I didn't is have to buy a copy of aperture from the App Store.

So they get another sale from me in hardware lol.

But in the end all the software is being paid for - by hardware costs. Everything they do is to make money so anything that is supposedly 'free' is factored in to the cost or they wouldn't do it.

Elchele

you have to set the system language (main) to english AND the location to US (all in system settings) then try again. You can change it back after getting the free updates.

What i like about the updates, once done they count as purchased in your itunes store. So i can install them on all my macs

I had an iWork '09 (from DVD) installation already done. I have my Mac set up as Argentina - Spanish. I deleted iWork, changed the location and system language, re-installed the iWork '09 and still not luck :/

Should I try with the trial version?

Top Bottom