• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Appleman

Having two problems (sort of) right now, and I'm not sure if it's because I updated to GM1 or not.

Firstly, If I click updates in the App Store it just shows a list of my most recent updates, despite the App Store having a "6" badge on it.

Secondly, does anyone know what's up with the weird bubble colours in Messages? For some people it's the standard blue/white, for some it's blue/blue and for some it's blue/green or even blue/pink... I can't figure it out!

Running happily on my late-2008 MacBook Pro, still impressed how long this computer has remained relevant.

Mavericks has however given me a renewed interest in going Mac only again, and my Core2Duo MBP isn't quite up to that task :p

What are your specs? I've got a mid-2008 MBP, so I'm assuming there's going to be little difference... maybe? I'm still on Snow Leopard, and am similarly impressed with how well this machine still handles things.

I've got: 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT

see5harp

Every time I try and download mavericks via app store nothing happens. I actually got a download started once but it seemed to time out and after a restart I can no longer get the thing going. Do you think I need to call apple?

Flek

Banned
Every time I try and download mavericks via app store nothing happens. I actually got a download started once but it seemed to time out and after a restart I can no longer get the thing going. Do you think I need to call apple?

no just as the guy above get a .dmg from somewhere. Should not matter if you download it via torrent or something because its free anyway

GWX

I havn't been able t open garageband. :(

Downloading and installing the new GarageBand is pretty much impossible to me in the current situation. Very bugged experience, where the old one just wouldn't uninstall (I had to recur to AppCleaner) and the new one would duplicate itself in the launchpad. Uninstalled both, and will wait a few days to see if I can finally install it.

Sorry if this has been answered. Is there any way for me to open iTunes and Safari? I can't seem to access them. I have downloaded the iTunes update from the App Store and I'm using a mid 2010 MBP.

Elchele

What are your specs? I've got a mid-2008 MBP, so I'm assuming there's going to be little difference... maybe? I'm still on Snow Leopard, and am similarly impressed with how well this machine still handles things.

I'm on an unibody 2008 MB, 2.4, 2GB ram, integrated Nvidia. Feels faster than Mountain Lion, but Snow Leopard was much faster IMO. I did a clean install.

I would upgrade, specially since you have 4GB ram. I need more ram.

Sorry if this has been answered. Is there any way for me to open iTunes and Safari? I can't seem to access them. I have downloaded the iTunes update from the App Store and I'm using a mid 2010 MBP.

Check your applications folder?

edit -

What do you mean you can't seem to access them?

SuperSah

Banned

Same issue with me. :(

can't you find someone (a friend or so) who could give you the .dmg ?

Nope, no one I know owns a Mac and i'm not sure how that works.

mrkgoo

You could just download the complete installers from apple's website. Not sure if they still distribute safari like this however.

gokieks

I can't seem to get Finder to remember the column widths for list view, regardless of what I do (even manually editing com.apple.finder.plist, which I'm pretty sure worked in previous versions), and the default for size is just barely small enough that it will compress the text for a bunch of files.

God, I hate Finder so much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't seem to get Finder to remember the column widths for list view, regardless of what I do (even manually editing com.apple.finder.plist, which I'm pretty sure worked in previous versions), and the default for size is just barely small enough that it will compress the text for a bunch of files.

The Finder now resizes the Name column and aligns the other columns to the right when you resize the window. So if you want to fix it quick, just shrink and expand the window quickly.

But yes, the Finder has been terrible forever. And I never even use tabs yet. It's also buggy when reloading windows that are minimized to the point it sometimes won't even open the window until you quit it and relaunch. (Which is why I've had the Quit menu in the Finder for 10 years now.)

FIX THE FLIPPING FINDER, APPLE. Maybe in 10.10.

gokieks

The Finder now resizes the Name column and aligns the other columns to the right when you resize the window. So if you want to fix it quick, just shrink and expand the window quickly.

But yes, the Finder has been terrible forever. And I never even use tabs yet. It's also buggy when reloading windows that are minimized to the point it sometimes won't even open the window until you quit it and relaunch. (Which is why I've had the Quit menu in the Finder for 10 years now.)

FIX THE FLIPPING FINDER, APPLE. Maybe in 10.10.

I really should just get either Path Finder or TotalFinder, but while I'm not averse to buying software, paying for a decent file management app, which should be base level functionality in any OS, really rubs me the wrong way.

I've upgraded mine a little from stock, current specs:
2.66GHz Core2Duo
8GB RAM
9400M + 9600M GT
256GB SSD

I remember Lion slowed the machine to a crawl, but everything since Mountain Lion has been pretty darn good.
Not sure how it compares to Snow Leopard performance, it's been a long time!

fireside

The only time I encounter columns is the Save As or Open File dialogue windows, and it is horrible. I don't understand why those columns need to be so small.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really should just get either Path Finder or TotalFinder, but while I'm not averse to buying software, paying for a decent file management app, which should be base level functionality in any OS, really rubs me the wrong way.
I can't stand PathFinder and TotalFinder was so buggy and useless when I used it.

I would give anything to go back to OS 9's Finder paradigm. Every folder is an object and they always open the same size as before, and in single-window mode, the old one closes and new one opens. None of that sidebar bullshit. No toolbar. I'd get a file explorer as a separate thing. Sadly, file browsers have been shit since OS X ruined the Finder and Windows XP the Windows Explorer. (Maybe it was Windows Me. I dunno. Or maybe it was Windows 98 when they integrated IE into the file browser.)

The fact that the Zoom button hasn't worked properly in more than 6 years is really stupid. It's all I ask for from OS X every year.

gokieks

The only time I encounter columns is the Save As or Open File dialogue windows, and it is horrible. I don't understand why those columns need to be so small.

I'm actually talking about the columns in list view, but yes, columns view is also terrible (in pretty much every way).

I can't stand PathFinder and TotalFinder was so buggy and useless when I used it.

I would give anything to go back to OS 9's Finder paradigm. Every folder is an object and they always open the same size as before, and in single-window mode, the old one closes and new one opens. None of that sidebar bullshit. No toolbar. I'd get a file explorer as a separate thing. Sadly, file browsers have been shit since OS X ruined the Finder and Windows XP the Windows Explorer. (Maybe it was Windows Me. I dunno. Or maybe it was Windows 98 when they integrated IE into the file browser.)

The fact that the Zoom button hasn't worked properly in more than 6 years is really stupid. It's all I ask for from OS X every year.

Eh, I'm not a fan of the old Finder either. I'm perfectly fine with Windows Explorer though for file management. The default settings aren't great for power users who want easy visual access to a lot of information, but that's pretty easily rectified with some setting changes, and it's light years ahead of Finder in that regard even so.

What don't you like about Path Finder? It seems to be the better option between the two based on what I can tell (without actually having used either).

And yeah, Zoom in OS X is terrible - it's basically a complete crapshoot as to what will actually happen when you click it.

NekoFever

Secondly, does anyone know what's up with the weird bubble colours in Messages? For some people it's the standard blue/white, for some it's blue/blue and for some it's blue/green or even blue/pink... I can't figure it out!

I was wondering this too. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Jake.

ANOTHER issue i'm having - after waking the system up from sleeping, the time disappears - instead of saying Sat 12:18pm it just says 'Sat' or occasionally 'Sat 12:'. i've never had so many problems with an OSX upgrade before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh wow. Safari seems to not load tab content (At least plugins) until I click them. Which means YouTube tabs that I leave open won't start playing until I want them to.

Unlike Chrome.

Another point for Safari!

At this point, I don't think I'm going to be going back to Chrome.

I may just find a DMG file because the damn thing is in my purchase history but won't download. Sorta ridiculous.

I thought I was having the same problem but I just noticed the Mavericks icon and download status in my dock. I feel kind of dumb, I don't use the Mac App store very often.

TimeInc

how long is this suppose to take to download, I know it's over 5GB but mine's been downloading for about 6 hours and it's only about a 3rd of the way done.

Goldenhen

how long is this suppose to take to download, I know it's over 5GB but mine's been downloading for about 6 hours and it's only about a 3rd of the way done.

It really depend on your internet connection speed. Mine only take 20 mins and my internet speed is 124Mbps.

deim0s

Oh wow. Safari seems to not load tab content (At least plugins) until I click them. Which means YouTube tabs that I leave open won't start playing until I want them to.

Unlike Chrome.

just to be fair, you can do the same in Chrome's prefs.

mollipen

Wooooooow. Just tried the new Garageband, only to find that Apple has pulled all Podcast-specific features from it. What in the world Apple?

PSYGN

I solved the download issue by signing out of my account in the App store and rebooting my MBP. Just throwing that out there.

TimeInc

It really depend on your internet connection speed. Mine only take 20 mins and my internet speed is 124Mbps.

Thanks, wow my internet must be extremely slow, don't know what the max speed is but it must be doing less than 1mbps at the moment.

Iacobellis

Unlike Chrome.

That's a feature? I always assumed it a was a bug in Safari.

Terrell

So my hope is that this is the last OSX incarnation, and Federighi and Ive can makes something new from the ground up. OS XI, as it were. I want that iOS 7-like redo for the Mac, I don't care how long it takes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
just to be fair, you can do the same in Chrome's prefs.
It's different though. Chrome lets you Click to Flash, but that only affects half the YouTube videos available now because the OTHER half use HTML5 which ends up playing no matter what. And extensions are useless because they don't always load before the tab so you end up having to manually stop all your tabs.

Safari however will not load anything in the tab until I click it. Much like the option in Firefox. I haven't done too much testing, but I will. Currently I had a tab open with a YouTube video that uses HTML5 (Which means it would get through Click to Flash since it's not using Flash.) and it did not start the plugin until I focused the tab.

That makes me happy. Plus Safari is so much better on my processor and battery. Who would have thought. Now, if only they could fix the rest of its problems, like the current state of the extension market.

That's a feature? I always assumed it a was a bug in Safari.
Battery saver. Do you really want every single tab with an auto-playing video or audio file or even a Flash-based advertisement starting up when you open your browser sucking up your battery and processor even though you haven't even touched it yet? I know I wouldn't. I think it's an option though so if you DO want it to start stuff, I guess you could have it do it.

I'm gonna do some testing. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

Edit: Yep. Works like a charm. Except it exposes Google's stupid oversight of having YouTube tabs display the PLAYING icon by default and hiding it when you pause. Which means if a tab is loaded in the background or otherwise the video is not actually loaded yet, it still says it is. Google, fix that shit. It's a simple oversight. Don't leave it forever. Sheesh.

Zuly

I've been joking about "downloading more RAM" for years and I feel like I actually have with Mavericks. Ever since I installed it, my wired memory is nowhere near as high as it would go with Mountain Lion. So far, I'm really enjoying how fast my mid-2010 MBP is running. I haven't tried anything heavy thus far but maybe tomorrow I'll try making something with a bazillion layers to test it out.

123rl

It seems like I've had a battery boost of about 20% - 30% by upgrading to Mavericks. I used to get about 4-4.30 hours. Now, I get about 6 hours.

X-Frame

Hey everyone, can someone tell me if this is a known bug with Mavericks .. sometimes when I download something and it goes to my downloads folder, the blue progress bar would hit 100% but not go away.

Here it is for me right now:

073ysfO.png

It goes away when I restart at the very least, I haven't really done much testing with it. Is there any reason why this is happening?

jts

...hate me...
Hey everyone, can someone tell me if this is a known bug with Mavericks .. sometimes when I download something and it goes to my downloads folder, the blue progress bar would hit 100% but not go away.

Here it is for me right now:

073ysfO.png

It goes away when I restart at the very least, I haven't really done much testing with it. Is there any reason why this is happening?
The only thing that I can tell you is that it also happens to me sometimes.

NekoFever

new power button shit sux. how can i change it back?

Yeah, it's weird. Might make sense for a desktop but it's stupid on a laptop, where you have an action for putting it to sleep by closing it.

AFAIK there's no way to change it, but I fully expect an option in 10.9.1 or .2.

PSYGN

It's silly how you still can't name your spaces. That seems like such a simple thing to implement. Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc. looks tacky. And no, I don't want to fullscreen my apps to make it change.

Worth noting, as a warning, that Mavericks killed my Macbook Air 2013 13"'s 128Gb SSD after I tried to do a fresh install.

It looks like Apple put out a firmware update, make sure to install that before installing Mavericks. Will save you from going to the apple store to replace the SSD.

Top Bottom