• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Flek

Banned
I had an iWork '09 (from DVD) installation already done. I have my Mac set up as Argentina - Spanish. I deleted iWork, changed the location and system language, re-installed the iWork '09 and still not luck :/

Should I try with the trial version?

yeha and also delete the additional iwork files that are left on your mac after uninstalling

123rl

I'm pretty sure this is a bug. It's happening for me as well when trying to fullscreen Hulu and Netflix on my second screen (TV through HDMI).

A few additional hiccups I've noticed:
- Trackpad gestures aren't as smooth. This includes webpage scrolling as well as opening Mission Control, etc.
- My fan is going a lot more than it did previously. Streaming Netflix or Hulu makes the fan constantly hum, whereas this didn't happen for me before.

On the plus side, battery life seems to have increased. On a Early 2011 MBP.

Anyone else experiencing the above? I saw someone earlier in the thread mention the trackpad issues. Hoping this will all get fixed in an update.

I think I managed to glitch it into working. I set the screens to orient vertically, leaving the dock on the bottom of the screen. This is set as primary and the secondary screen is on "top". So when I watch a video it goes to the second screen, and blocks the menu bar. VLC does this but MplayerX (which I prefer) doesn't, unfortunately.

Yes to the extra fan noise, and yes to the extra battery life. I seem to have got about an extra 45 minutes on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Is the scrolling in iTunes on Mavericks GPU-accelerated yet?

How is movie playback in iTunes now that it is GPU-accelerated? QuickTime X? Any improvements there? I wonder if anything changed with the API exposure to hardware acceleration with Mavericks?

Jeff-DSA

We're not allowed to update here at work yet. Apparently the computers that have updated aren't able to access our network drives, so we're holding off until we figure out a fix. I'd really like to hop on to see if it speeds up this MBP any. Too much of the spinning beach ball for my liking.

GWX

Is the scrolling in iTunes on Mavericks GPU-accelerated yet?

How is movie playback in iTunes now that it is GPU-accelerated? QuickTime X? Any improvements there? I wonder if anything changed with the API exposure to hardware acceleration with Mavericks?

Not yet, sadly.

KingKong

It's crazy how much worse they made iWork. Why did they remove feature? I'm glad I got it for free because I had iWork '09, can't imagine paying 60 bucks for something that seemed to have been designed solely to look nice at an Apple event

Majine

Banned
Okay, what the fuck exactly determines on what monitor the dock can appear on? Happens all too often that it chooses to stay on just one and refuse to appear on the other. Why can't it just be on both?

rezuth

It's crazy how much worse they made iWork. Why did they remove feature? I'm glad I got it for free because I had iWork '09, can't imagine paying 60 bucks for something that seemed to have been designed solely to look nice at an Apple event

They're laying a new foundation like always. They strip out features and focus on just making a new core which they can build upon.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I've been skimming through John Siracusa's Mavericks write-up and just got through the section on multiple displays. I noticed he mentioned that Airplay monitors can now act as full-fledged additional displays.

Does that mean I can finally have 2 external monitors on my Macbook Air without using one of those crazy USB-to-HDMI adapters or Thunderbolt daisy-chaining? I'm thinking I can connect one monitor to the Thunderbolt port, and then use a 2nd monitor over Airplay. I just have to hook an Apple TV up to the 2nd monitor.

Is that correct? That would be so awesome. I'm struggling to decide between a new Air and a new rMBP (both at 13"). The biggest thing about the Pro that I want is the extra HDMI and Thunderbolt so I can use more than 1 external monitor, but if I can replicate that functionality over Airplay, then it makes my decision easy.

Mavericks woes continue. The trackpad seems super sensitive now to swiping left / right. Not only does the new inertial scrolling sucks compared to what it was on ML, you have to keep it as straight as possible while scrolling otherwise it will always try to swipe left or right. Happens on every browser I've used.

I rest my hand in a 45 degree motion and before it scrolled perfectly and swiped perfectly. Now I have to keep my hand as straight as possible so it doesnt keep trying to swipe left or right. The slightest angle while scrolling makes the window jitter left and right.

Its really really really really annoying and makes me not want to use the trackpad at all.

Elchele

Downloading the iLife apps now :)

but yeah, I opened Pages a few minutes ago and it looks like a free/test version of Pages. At least it feels much faster

Jake.

okay, after some time with mavericks scrolling and gestures are definitely a lot slower and clunkier for me on my 2012 air - scrolling especially. sucks.

edit - my battery is somehow worse now as well. ugh.

Anyone on here in a chemistry program and use Igor? If so, does it work on Mavericks? My wife needs the program all the time, and wants to make sure it works with Mavericks before upgrading from Mountain Lion.

I keep getting split second beachballs on OSX mavericks. It's really annoying. I'm on the newest gen MBA 13" with Core i7 1.7ghz and 8 gigs ram. Anyone else experiencing this?

I keep getting split second beachballs on OSX mavericks. It's really annoying. I'm on the newest gen MBA 13" with Core i7 1.7ghz and 8 gigs ram. Anyone else experiencing this?
Same here on my 2011 MBA (11 inch) with 4GB RAM. It literally comes and goes in less than a second, but it's pretty jarring (and entirely random, it seems).

Same here on my 2011 15" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core i7 Quad, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, and Radeon 6750m 1GB. I even installed via upgrading from 10.8.5, made my own flash drive copy and used Lion Diskmaker and the split second beachballs still happen.

My system is fast for what it is but I really have no idea what is causing the split second beachballs.

Jigolo

Microsoft Powerpoint 2011 crashing on Mavericks :(

EDIT: I too am getting random beachballs pop up. Summer 2012 Macbook Air

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like my performance is awful after the update. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro.

If I have more than 2 or 3 applications open my fans start going full speed, and everything slows down. It's just apps like Chrome, Mail, iTunes, etc. Nothing crazy.

Any ideas/solutions for this?

RyanMT

Neo Member
Safari has always been annoying for me because each time I opened it I'd have to zoom in a couple times on my iMac, but it would be that way until I closed it again. Now that I've updated, though, the sizing is reset with each page I visit. Is there a way to fix this? Apologies if I've missed that on here, I've been trying to keep up in this thread.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Mavericks is a much bigger improvement over Mountain Lion. My 13" rMBP feels great. But man, that Verge review made me realize something would be much better:

10469585633_fcd69b156b_c.jpg

My poor wallet :(

glaurung

Does the rest of Office 2011 work fine? My dad has it and I don't know when to give him the okay to upgrade. I'm afraid it'll break something.
To be honest Mac Office 2011 is a disgrace. The intercompatibility with the PC version (2013) is atrocious at times.

I know this to my cost via working in an office where I use the Windows version and a lot of other people have Macs.

Solution: either go for Pages/Numbers/Keynote or invest into a virtual PC application and run Office 2013 inside that. The new MBPs probably run a virtual instance of Windows better than most native Windows laptops.

Running happily on my late-2008 MacBook Pro, still impressed how long this computer has remained relevant.

Mavericks has however given me a renewed interest in going Mac only again, and my Core2Duo MBP isn't quite up to that task :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
To be honest Mac Office 2011 is a disgrace. The intercompatibility with the PC version (2013) is atrocious at times.

I know this to my cost via working in an office where I use the Windows version and a lot of other people have Macs.

Solution: either go for Pages/Numbers/Keynote or invest into a virtual PC application and run Office 2013 inside that. The new MBPs probably run a virtual instance of Windows better than most native Windows laptops.
He's not going to do that.

Office 2011 works fine for him on Mountain Lion. I just wanna know if it'll continue working well enough in Mavericks. Or if there's any game breaking bugs that everyone has that MS hasn't patched.

Ambitious

I was just about to restore my non-iBooks ebooks from my backup disk, but apparently I had excluded the Music folder from Time Machine..

They were still on my iPad, so I tried to sync them, but it deleted them from the iPad instead. Ugh.

edit: They're in the MobileSync folder in the Library of the backup disk. I grepped for a few unique terms and got results. But they're in some kind of obscure format. No idea how to get them out of there, yet.

Jake.

okay, so what the fuck has happened to my battery on my 2012 air? on ML i had about 7ish hours on a full charge, and now mavericks says i have 2:45 when its on 100%.

Flek

Banned
okay, so what the fuck has happened to my battery on my 2012 air? on ML i had about 7ish hours on a full charge, and now mavericks says i have 2:45 when its on 100%.

tha calulation is just messed up, try going into standby and back, or restart. Had this too don´t worry.

SuperSah

Banned
Having issues downloading it.

It appears on my launchpad as downloading and doesn't move an inch. On my purchases list, there's no install progress bar and when I mash "download" again and again, it does fuck all.

Anyone else?

paparazzo

He's not going to do that.

Office 2011 works fine for him on Mountain Lion. I just wanna know if it'll continue working well enough in Mavericks. Or if there's any game breaking bugs that everyone has that MS hasn't patched.
All three apps working here. I mainly use Word but Excel and Powerpoint seemed fine as well.

Top Bottom