• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

I only have one programme that doesn't work on Mavericks which is a bit of a relief but it's XBMC which I use daily. I'm really beginning to miss it now :'(

Oh, I haven't done a clean install since, I think, 2006!
Maybe next update :lol

abunai

I dunno if this is a bug in Mavericks or a hardware issue with my laptop (new rMBP 13") but randomly the keyboard/trackpad will just stop responding completely to input. The ':' seconds indicator on the clock keeps blinking and stuff keeps running in the background. If I press the power button the screen turns off, pressing it again presents the login screen. To resolve I have to hard reboot the machine, at which point input is fine until the next undetermined occurrence.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern and there is no messages in console that indicate anything going wrong. I guess I just need to wait for it to occur again and try plug in a usb keyboard/mouse and see if they work. The event has only happened 3 times in the past 2 days or so, and it was fine on the first day of use. I've not installed any software since then, so I doubt it would be a conflict in that area though I am open to suggestions.

Anything similar happened to anyone else? Google results just showed old or irrelevant stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been curious about doing this as well, but Pocket has been good to me and I like that it is supported with ReadKit on my Mac.

Just curious, but what made you decide to make the switch? I feel like I would miss the tags way too much from Pocket though.
Well I switched from Chrome because it's just gotten shittier and Safari's just gotten better-ier. And I really only use Pocket for storing links I want to get off my tab bar but don't want cluttering up my bookmarks. So I figure using the built-in service and keeping it all in one place would be better (for my usage) than using a separate utility.

In Pocket I just turned off downloading the link and storing it for later. But Reading List is still infantile and doesn't let you disable it, but even though it takes up a bunch of space (200MB for the 54 links I've migrated so far) it's still nice having it all in one place.

I'm still in a transition period. But since I've already started migrating all my stuff from Pocket, I don't see myself going back to Chrome. Which feels really weird as I've been a fan for 4 years now. But then again, I did switch from Firefox. And before that I was on Safari. Before that a mishmash of early OS X browsers like Omniweb and Mozilla and Internet Explorer 5.

Hopefully Reading List matures. But for now, it does what I need it to. It stores my links. And I'll allow the offline storage as it might come in handy one day. (I just hope Safari can handle the 400-500 links that might end up being kept in the end and the storage doesn't take up so much. I noticed an ArsTechnica article I saved had 6 pages and took up 40MB because it saved all the data from the entire page plus a 17MB Reader version without all the extra ads and stuff. If only I could set it to only save one or the other.)

Chrome is a major hog.

They need to update it to 64-bit and make it more energy efficient.
I waited for them to do this for 4 years now. It ain't ever gonna happen. Now I'm on Safari. Chrome had its chance. It was a fun run, but eh. Cést la vie.

Actually 32-bit programs are a pet peeve with me. On my machine I have 3 32-bit apps left now that I left Chrome. CrashPlan which uses Java, DropBox which is a huge surprise in this day and age and PTHPasteBoard which I've used for 10 years and just the other day finally paid for. And they're all still actively updated. In 2013. And they're still 32-bit. Come on, people! Especially you, DropBox. If Apple ever makes iCloud have an iCloud Folder, DropBox is gone. (I only use it for syncing 1Password, which now has iCloud sync and for transferring .torrent files to my Mac mini Server. So I could drop it in an instant if I need to.)

Just updated my wife's late 2011 MBP, and everything went fine until we get to iPhoto. It wont work unless she updates it, but the App Store will not let her update it. It says it is under a different email address than everything else for some reason, and we can't figure it out. We have no clue what the email address is from either.

Any ideas?

njean777

I like chrome but for some reason my MacBook airs speakers always crack while watching flash videos in chrome. So I am happy they finally fixed safari and took out that automatic reloading while going back a page.

Sec0nd

Just updated my wife's late 2011 MBP, and everything went fine until we get to iPhoto. It wont work unless she updates it, but the App Store will not let her update it. It says it is under a different email address than everything else for some reason, and we can't figure it out. We have no clue what the email address is from either.

Any ideas?

I think I had a similair issue not so long ago on ML. Everytime I wanted to download a update to the OS it wanted to verify with a weird email along the lines of aiufhehiuh@live.nl. And when I would enter my proper email and password it would give an error.

Dunno if it's the same. Don't know how to fix it but it went away after a month or so...

I think I had a similair issue not so long ago on ML. Everytime I wanted to download a update to the OS it wanted to verify with a weird email along the lines of aiufhehiuh@live.nl. And when I would enter my proper email and password it would give an error.

Dunno if it's the same. Don't know how to fix it but it went away after a month or so...
It used to give my wife same error on iWork stuff before but it works now. Now only iPhoto and iMovie are giving issue.

Tempted just to buy the new iPhoto from AppStore so I have the new one on my 2009 iMac and then let her download that.

Is it possible to purchase a standalone version of OSX Mavericks online somewhere?

I would like to install onto a VM but can't seem to find a standalone install of it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it possible to purchase a standalone version of OSX Mavericks online somewhere?

I would like to install onto a VM but can't seem to find a standalone install of it.
If you use Parallels, it's dead simple and doesn't require anything but a recovery partition. Thing is I think it requires Parallels 9 to do Mavericks. 8 only shows Mountain Lion.

VMWare Fusion... no idea.

corn_fest

Do I have to start from a prior version and then apply the update?

I'd assume so because Mavericks is free.

(Excuse the ignorance!)

If you're asking whether you can install Mavericks (with a disc image) on an entirely blank hard drive, then yeah, you can. No need for a previous version to be installed first.

I'm looking to download a copy to run on VMWare Workstation (on a Windows 7 machine) for development purposes.

My company wants to do some iPhone dev and if I can get away with my laptop + a VM, that would be better than purchasing a MBP and lugging around both :D

Edit: So I'm confused because I'm looking at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-...WWW-NAUS-ITUHOME-NEWAPPLICATIONS&ign-mpt=uo=2 and can't figure out how to download this. Do I need to have a MB in the first place? Or iTunes?

corn_fest

I'm looking to download a copy to run on VMWare Workstation (on a Windows 7 machine) for development purposes.

My company wants to do some iPhone dev and if I can get away with my laptop + a VM, that would be better than purchasing a MBP and lugging around both :D

Ooh. In that case, OS X isn't supported as a VM system on non-Macs due to Apple's licensing.
However, I believe there are unlockers you can download for Workstation to get it working. Not sure if there's one that supports Mavericks yet, though.

Edit: So I'm confused because I'm looking at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x...ign-mpt=uo=2 and can't figure out how to download this. Do I need to have a MB in the first place? Or iTunes?
And yeah, you'd need someone with a Mac in the first place to download the installer.

itxaka

Defeatist
Actually 32-bit programs are a pet peeve with me. On my machine I have 3 32-bit apps left now that I left Chrome. CrashPlan which uses Java, DropBox which is a huge surprise in this day and age and PTHPasteBoard which I've used for 10 years and just the other day finally paid for. And they're all still actively updated. In 2013. And they're still 32-bit. Come on, people! Especially you, DropBox. If Apple ever makes iCloud have an iCloud Folder, DropBox is gone. (I only use it for syncing 1Password, which now has iCloud sync and for transferring .torrent files to my Mac mini Server. So I could drop it in an instant if I need to.)

Why would you need dropbox in 64bits? just because its a number doesn't mean its better.

Atlas157

Is anyone else having problems with Mavericks?

Chrome keeps crashing on me and there's overall slowdown compared to when I had Mountain Lion.

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro by the way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm still on Snowy Leopard and was hoping to hold off until the new mini comes out till I upgrade.

With that said, I've been doing various things to migrate away from non universal apps and things that Apple have discontinued, so I might upgrade the OS in advance - is it really worth it for a 2009 mini?
On a 2009 Mini that has since been upgraded to 8gb of RAM and a SATA-II internal HD. Outside the horrible lag with my usb soundcard making me use the built-in audio it's been running rather well.

MacMame - it has always taken me ages to sort emus and working roms out, but;

I recently configured MameOSX (0.124) - and I have it absolutely perfect- all the games I want run fine etc. However;

I use the 0.124 version as the last version does not run a load of stuff for some reason (SF III etc). Does this work with Marvericks?

NB: I have tried out SDLMame and managed to get it running with a cool little automater script to boot it up, although I am back at square 1 because most of my roms don't work and I can't get scanlines sorted.
Expected MAME rom formats can change from version to version. You can't just keep using the same files, or even just add new files, without using something like clrmamepro to keep everything in order.

Use SDLmame with a frontend.

Tuck

You can reorder Desktop 1 *and* the dashboard in Mission Control now?

Mind. Blown.

I know everyone in this thread probably knew this already but its new to me!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can reorder Desktop 1 *and* the dashboard in Mission Control now?

Mind. Blown.

I know everyone in this thread probably knew this already but its new to me!
And you can move fullscreen windows across displays. Each display also gets a default Desktop space too. Not sure if you can move Dashboard to another space, I don't use it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Runs fine. It boots up at around the same amount of time, maybe a second less than Mountain Lion. When I do actually log in, I do still get that few seconds of delay when I open apps.

I did an update, rather than a clean install.

I'm going to do an update as well. Can't be bothered to do a clean install. Do you have MS Office '11? Does it work fine?

I think I read something about Mavericks ruining SSD drives without some sort of update. My wife has a SSD/HDD combo drive in her macbook, is there anything I need to do before installing it?

Quick

Banned
I'm going to do an update as well. Can't be bothered to do a clean install. Do you have MS Office '11? Does it work fine?

I think I read something about Mavericks ruining SSD drives without some sort of update. My wife has a SSD/HDD combo drive in her macbook, is there anything I need to do before installing it?

Haven't tried Office 2011, but all of my apps/programs work just fine. I assume that will, too.

I don't have any SSDs to test out, so I can't give you an answer on that.

jts

...hate me...
Long shot, but does anyone use a Logitech Harmony remote?

Right now on the remote software, I don't seem to be able to input text upon entering a new device's model number (say, the model of a TV, receiver, etc). I click and click inside the text box but it just doesn't focus and I can't write there.

So I can't add a new device.

Wonder if it has been broken by Mavericks and needs an update.

edit: Weird, I went back to the app and it just fixed itself. I'll leave this here anyway.

bionic77

Is anyone else having problems with Mavericks?

Chrome keeps crashing on me and there's overall slowdown compared to when I had Mountain Lion.

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro by the way.
y My wife has the same laptop but neither of us have noticed any slowdown.

She is more of a Firefox user and that shit is slow and shitty on and system.

Kvik

I'd like to report that Mavericks runs fine on a Late 2008 MacBook Pro. NFS share also still lightning fast, as usual.

Tried to play D3 and XCOM on it and still getting decent fps.

Also I will probably need to upgrade my VMware Fusion 4 to 6 because it apparently doesn't work on Mavericks.

Still no native XFS support, but hey. :-\

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Time for bed. My new retina MBP should be here by 10:30am.

Sounds like I'll be working for about three hours tomorrow, lol.

Rootbeer

Banned
bleh, not getting my retina till Thurs cause I ordered the 15" with the 2.6ghz processor upgrade instead of the faster shipping, less powerful one.

It's worth it though >.<

Sold my 2010 15" MBP to a work friend, pretty happy with how it all panned out.

Next time I'm not waiting 3+ years to upgrade though. Better to upgrade after maybe 2 years so the resale value is higher.

Really looking forward to the less weighty retina model, no sense in carrying around an optical drive all the time when i never have the urge to use it.

I dunno if it's a placebo but it almost seems like all the animations are much smoother on Mavericks. The expose/mission control animation no longer looks jerky on my 2012 MBA.

kuppy

Oh wow, I did not know it was now possible to get notifications while watching YouTube, Twitch or whatever in fullscreen, you simply have to go in the notifications settings and uncheck the 'when mirroring to TVs and projectors', that's realy freaking nice for me.

tsumineko

Man, Mavericks is fantastic. I get over 10 hours battery on my 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, all with vastly faster performance. How the hell did they pull this off.

Everything is so perfectly smooth now. I'm blown away.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mavericks install broke my Bootcamp partition :(
I'm kind of worried about that, especially as mine is partitioned for Ubuntu as well (no idea why since I never use it but my younger self thought it would be a cool thing to do).

Maybe I'll use this as an opportunity for a clean install.

Also I'm guessing that GUI resources for the OS can't be modded like they could in 10.6. Guess I'll just have to live with that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The Lastfm app is pretty garbage, at least the newest versions are since I don't remember it giving me trouble in 2012. I liked the scrobbling but it was now both delaying my Macbook's wake time and was also affecting the battery because of memory leaks. This was before Mavericks too, it's just that after the update I decided to do a more throughout sweep since it was still taking some seconds to come out of sleep. If anyone is having issues with their Macs waking from sleep and uses this app I suggest doing away with it to see if it's the culprit.

Not quite Maverick related, but i had to buy a new wireless keyboard for my imac, and now my special keys across the top are different. I guess they changed them along the way as now my Dashboard button was replaced with a Launch Pad button. I really used the Dashboard button allot and was wondering if i could change the function of that key back the way it was. Thanks.

Not quite Maverick related, but i had to buy a new wireless keyboard for my imac, and now my special keys across the top are different. I guess they changed them along the way as now my Dashboard button was replaced with a Launch Pad button. I really used the Dashboard button allot and was wondering if i could change the function of that key back the way it was. Thanks.

Just open your System Preferences and go into the Keyboard pane.

You can pretty much edit every single shortcut:

nPDYOeT.png

The Lastfm app is pretty garbage, at least the newest versions are since I don't remember it giving me trouble in 2012. I liked the scrobbling but it was now both delaying my Macbook's wake time and was also affecting the battery because of memory leaks. This was before Mavericks too, it's just that after the update I decided to do a more throughout sweep since it was still taking some seconds to come out of sleep. If anyone is having issues with their Macs waking from sleep and uses this app I suggest doing away with it to see if it's the culprit.
Not sure if you've tried it but Melo is a great lightweight scrobbler (and scrobbles perfectly). It's great if you don't use Last.fm radio and just want to scrobble.

Jigolo

Just started using Safari for the first time. It's so much more responsive than Chrome it's nuts. I will need some time to get used to this but so far it's fast and fluid and is more battery efficient than Chrome.

I just wish Chrome was like this. I'm integrated into Google services so I still like Chrome more. Extensions and general UI use is much faster. But fuck you Chrome, for now.

LCfiner

Just open your System Preferences and go into the Keyboard pane.

You can pretty much edit every single shortcut:

nPDYOeT.png

this doesn't work as long as the function keys have been set to work as "media and system" keys instead of regular function keys. either way, you'd need to press fn+key to make the stuff work.

I ended up downloading "function flip" which is a system preference thing that let's you selectively flip those keys from media/sys keys to regular functions keys.

So I get to keep the always present itunes playback controls and brightness levels but then change just the launchpad key to a function key so F4 can launch dashboard.

...more complex than it should be. but that's the only way to make it work seamlessly.

GWX

I dunno if it's a placebo but it almost seems like all the animations are much smoother on Mavericks. The expose/mission control animation no longer looks jerky on my 2012 MBA.

Nope, not placebo. They indeed are smoother. My Mac mini also has Intel HD 4000 graphics, and it's so much smoother with Mavericks.

Appreciate the help guys. I could have sworn i was able to swap them in the last OS, but my keyboard broke the day Maverick came out, so i cant if its the new keyboard or the OS.

I guess im not the only one who used the Dashboard. I use the Dashboard and Mission Control quite often, but i just double tap my mouse with two fingers to Mission Control. Launch Pad has always seemed useless to me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Not sure if you've tried it but Melo is a great lightweight scrobbler (and scrobbles perfectly). It's great if you don't use Last.fm radio and just want to scrobble.
Ah, cool. Thanks for the suggestion, from Last.fm I'm only really interested in the scrobbling so I'll check this out.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
AWW YEAH! It's here! :)

10540262673_9276a93141_c.jpg

10540030226_157bc117aa_c.jpg

First impressions are always biased. You either notice an imperfection right away that takes you out of the moment, or something doesn't work and it makes you mad. On the other hand, you might find yourself ignoring bad things because there's so much good.

But in any case, my first impressions are *extremely* positive. Just like I expected - there's no compromise. It's a beautiful device. Killer build quality. The screen is gorgeous. Amazing track pad and keyboard. Everything is absurdly fast. Just, wow, really liking it.

The big screen is definitely a step up from the 13" rMBP I'm coming from.

Also - stuff like the Verge is now 95% perfect. There's still a little jitter - but nothing distracting. Every other site I've been to has ran exceptionally. The UI animations are smooth as butter.

Sogood.gif and all that.

Top Bottom