• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Niiiiice. I cannot wait. Cannot wait to get mine. Holy shit is it gonna be a long week or two. Thank goodness I'm working a lot lately.

Give impressions of how some websites look on it. Also, what resolution option will you be using? On a 15" I'm definitely going to go to 1920x1200 if I can stand it. 1680x1050 if I need to.

SuperSah

Banned
Mavericks FINALLY downloaded onto my 2011 21.5" i5 iMac.

It's pretty nice, runs fast and I got a gorgeous new wallpaper of the Moon and Earth.

100/10

My iMac returned from Apple with them replacing my PSU, but it is STILL
making a buzzing sound in use.

It's not causing no issue, and Apple claimed they did full testing after and it's fine. Anyone else's iMac does this?

anyone else having issues with podcasts?
I listen to them on the phone, yet the fact that they have been played does not sync or transfer to itunes... annoying.

mrkgoo

I listen to them on the phone, yet the fact that they have been played does not sync or transfer to itunes... annoying.

Mine does tat the moment, but podcasts have been rpyally messed up with the past few updates. They way they sync between macs and the idevices is so weird now.

gokieks

Saying screw it to iTunes and Podcasts app and getting Downcast instead ($10 for OS X, $2 for iOS) was pretty much the best thing I ever did to improve my podcast listening experience. The changelog for the last version of Podcast app says it finally will sync played status and position, but I have absolutely no faith in it actually working.

The funny thing is that it all worked perfectly fine back when podcasts were handled by the Music app and syncing was done through USB instead of iCloud. Progress!

coldfoot

Banned
OK I got a question I can't figure out how to do in Mavericks.
How do you enable right click by clicking on the bottom right corner of the trackpad? I used it this way in 10.8 and can't figure out how to do that here. I only noticed it today because normally I use an external mouse and monitor.

Never mind, I found it, it's from the Trackpad control panel, those lines with little arrows are drop down menus now.

subrock

Not specifically related to Mavericks, but I just mac-cleanered my laptop and got 50gb back. Sheesh! (Ableton was mostly to blame)

Now I also have issues with iTunesU

PodcastsApp:
Episode Unavailable THis episode is temporarily unavailable from XXX
I get that constantly on my phone...

iTunesU
Error Playback Failed

-.-

Jubern

Anyone here had a case where gestures and scrolling stopped working in a particular software?

It's happening to me in Firefox since a few hours ago. If I try to do the PgFwrd or PgBack gesture with the touchpad, it doesn't work and both gestures and scrolling stop working (even with the mouse I have on the side) unless I reboot Firefox. But even when it locks in Firefox, it works everywhere else.

I initially thought there had been some new Firefox version that fucked things up, but it's still 24.0 as far as I can see. Didn't changed or installed anything else, it just started to happen out of nowhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone here had a case where gestures and scrolling stopped working in a particular software?

It's happening to me in Firefox since a few hours ago. If I try to do the PgFwrd or PgBack gesture with the touchpad, it doesn't work and both gestures and scrolling stop working (even with the mouse I have on the side) unless I reboot Firefox. But even when it locks in Firefox, it works everywhere else.

I initially thought there had been some new Firefox version that fucked things up, but it's still 24.0 as far as I can see. Didn't changed or installed anything else, it just started to happen out of nowhere.
Not since Developer Preview 6 or so.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I can't shake the feeling that the timer coalescing feature is incredibly buggy. Every now and then an app just put into focus hangs and won't accept any input. Mail has given me surprisingly quiet work days twice so far by just forgetting to get mail which I realized when looking up my mail on my phone on my way home. Tonight I find a bazillion zombie processes in my activity manager.

Gaf, am I doing it wrong?

Also, Hearthstone won't load right now GRRR.

mrkgoo

I'm feeling MAvericks is still pretty buggy.

I get weird graphical glitches, as some have seen, including download bar remaining on dock when files is done, iTunes has a bunch of syncing bugs, Aperture royally messed up my library facilitating a 600GB Time Machine effort.

HOpe we get an update soon.

Hana-Bi

My iMac returned from Apple with them replacing my PSU, but it is STILL
making a buzzing sound in use.

It's not causing no issue, and Apple claimed they did full testing after and it's fine. Anyone else's iMac does this?

Yeah, my iMac (Mid 2010) did this too. Buzzing sound. They replaced the PSU, the backlight board but it made still the buzzing sound.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does anyone else with an oldish (i5, 4GB RAM, HD 3000) MacBook Pro find that Launch Pad is less smooth in Mavericks? I can't figure out if they've changed some effect somewhere that has an adverse effect on performance or there's a specific problem for me.

I have TONS of connexion issue with Skype ever since I upgraded to Mavericks. From random calls dropping for no reasons to hold for several seconds, it's really annoying. The worst is when the macbook goes in sleep mode, and re open, skype simply doesn't work anymore, doesn't dial, doesn't ring, anything. I can't even quit it. Even with the activity monitor when I try to kill it it's still here. I have to reboot the entire mac to get skype working again out of a sleep mode.

Any idea ?

Ambitious

I just read that Mavericks' calendar includes a holiday calendar by default. I don't have one, though. Disabling and reenabling the checkbox doesn't do anything.

edit: Found another unfixed issue with Mission Control. If you swipe on the desktop, the movement of the spaces directly correlates to your fingers. So you can e.g. cancel a space transition by swiping in the direction you started from, or just take a peek at the next desktop. Within Mission Control, however, swiping immediately brings you to the next space.
It's such an inconsistent mess. Still can't believe they replace the almost perfect Exposé/Spaces with this.

kennah

Kind of a random question - does anyone know of a way that I could specify which network connection a piece of software uses.

Usage example - I want to make it so that Chrome will use my wifi only while Finder, Safari, Mail and Calendar use the Ethernet only.

Any thoughts?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Niiiiice. I cannot wait. Cannot wait to get mine. Holy shit is it gonna be a long week or two. Thank goodness I'm working a lot lately.

Give impressions of how some websites look on it. Also, what resolution option will you be using? On a 15" I'm definitely going to go to 1920x1200 if I can stand it. 1680x1050 if I need to.

It's wonderful. Seriously, I love it. I've been through a lot of Apple laptops since they switched to Intel - my first being an original Core Duo MacBook. I never had a MacBook Air; but when my Ex got the first Revision 2 model many years ago, I immediately proclaimed it the best laptop of all time. Then, it was ridiculously thinner than all other PCs on the market - while retaining great battery and performance, and had the SSD standard. It was a benchmark.

Since then, I haven't found a device as "perfect" as the MBAir. Yeah, my 13" Retina was/is nicer, absolutely. But the 1280x800 actual display resolution was too small, and the performance didn't really blow me away. It was merely "good."

Last year's 15" was close - but the battery life suffered a tad, the limited VRAM a disappointment, the SSD plenty large but not plentiful, etc. Plus the animations were the tiniest bit laggy, and the web wasn't yet built for Retina.

And now I have the late 2013 15" rMBP top-end. It's truly a no-compromise device. There's nothing - within reason - that I could as for. I'd love a better GPU - but it wasn't realistic to stay within the thermal constraints and keep the battery up. And I wish the native actual res was 1080p/1200p. But other than that - it's phenomenal. Pricey. Very, very pricey. But I'm positive anyone who can afford it who buys it will absolutely not be disappointed.

Sluggish UI is gone at the "best for Retina" 900p settings. TheVerge.com and Polygon.com scroll like butter. Flipping desktops and windows is lightning quick. It just feels like everything is working in perfect order.

I will say scaled resolutions are a bit sluggish. Not terrible - but not buttery. I definitely wouldn't switch; especially because I notice the loss of sharpness/clarity right away. The benefits just aren't good enough to waste the screen in its full glory. So that's a tad disappointing for some, I imagine. But otherwise - for how I use it - I love it.

And now I have the late 2013 15" rMBP top-end. It's truly a no-compromise device. There's nothing - within reason - that I could as for. I'd love a better GPU - but it wasn't realistic to stay within the thermal constraints and keep the battery up. And I wish the native actual res was 1080p/1200p. But other than that - it's phenomenal. Pricey. Very, very pricey. But I'm positive anyone who can afford it who buys it will absolutely not be disappointed.

Yeah, but what better GPU? There aren't really any better GPUs out there that aren't desktop-replacement class (which I've always regarded as a bit of a stupid class), and there unfortunately won't be until we get 20nm GPUs next year, hopefully.

Zuly

I have TONS of connexion issue with Skype ever since I upgraded to Mavericks. From random calls dropping for no reasons to hold for several seconds, it's really annoying. The worst is when the macbook goes in sleep mode, and re open, skype simply doesn't work anymore, doesn't dial, doesn't ring, anything. I can't even quit it. Even with the activity monitor when I try to kill it it's still here. I have to reboot the entire mac to get skype working again out of a sleep mode.

Any idea ?

I've been having similar issues. Pre-Mavericks, Skype ran flawlessly with no issues but after I updated, it constantly freezes, more so when I'm in a call and I've been suffering from a lot of dropped calls. I'm hoping for a Skype update but thus far, I can't open up another chat while I'm in a call because Skype starts going crazy.

The worst is when the macbook goes in sleep mode, and re open, skype simply doesn't work anymore, doesn't dial, doesn't ring, anything. I can't even quit it. Even with the activity monitor when I try to kill it it's still here. I have to reboot the entire mac to get skype working again out of a sleep mode.

Yeah, Skype really needs an update. Force quit works for me though (cmd-option-esc, choose Skype and click Force Quit), so you don't have to reboot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Sluggish UI is gone at the "best for Retina" 900p settings. TheVerge.com and Polygon.com scroll like butter. Flipping desktops and windows is lightning quick. It just feels like everything is working in perfect order.

I will say scaled resolutions are a bit sluggish. Not terrible - but not buttery. I definitely wouldn't switch; especially because I notice the loss of sharpness/clarity right away. The benefits just aren't good enough to waste the screen in its full glory. So that's a tad disappointing for some, I imagine. But otherwise - for how I use it - I love it.
If I'm getting a Retina 15", there's no way I'm sticking with 1440x900 as the resolution. That's what I have on my Air, and everything's too big. I'm totally prepared for some roughness in the imagery.

You say the higher settings are sluggish. Is the sluggishness noticeable? And is it a big difference between the 1050 and 1200 options? Were you on the Iris Pro or 650 at the time? And is the difference there when you use each one?

Also, my main complaints about sites that have a lot of content and use continuous scrolling went mostly out the window when I dumped Chrome and switched to Safari. The difference is like knight and daye.

Once I have all the money saved up, I'm going to the Apple Store for research. (Or if need be, Best Buy's Apple section if I want a less busy area to try it out.) I really miss my MacOutfitters. I would have rather done my research and purchasing from them. No one else sells the machines that's close I would bet. Does Best Buy still have an Apple Store section with display models?

I also wonder if I should risk just driving down there only to find out neither store carries the one I want in stock. No one has answered my question whether an Apple Store would have the $2600 model in stock or not. It's like the first time I will buy a laptop that I don't have to configure first. I'd love to just pick it up in one trip.

What's Apple business model with Mavericks? They are not charging it. Where is the money going to pay the developers who worked on this? I understand making it free means everybody can download it because there is no fees. Which means more customers will be updated than before because they previously charged each update.

LCfiner

What's Apple business model with Mavericks? They are not charging it. Where is the money going to pay the developers who worked on this? I understand making it free means everybody can download it because there is no fees. Which means more customers will be updated than before because they previously charged each update.

they sell lots of hardware with ~40% profit margins. they think giving away valuable software for free with a hardware purchase will spur more hardware purchases.

mrkgoo

Can anyone suggest a reason as to why the "update all apps" button in iTunes would be greyed out? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Annoying to have to open each app and individually update.

Top Bottom