• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Cool, Thanks again. =)

Looking around it looks like I can't fullscreen netflix on a second monitor. =(
Do you use Safari?

You can drag Netflix to a separate window then place that window fullscreen on the other monitor. Same with any webpage with Flash or I assume Silverlight video. HTML5 video however has the best end of the deal where it puts the video as a Fullscreen window that you can place on any space you want and switch between with gestures and even continue using the browser while it's open. I love Safari. I don't think Chrome has this coolness and I know Firefox sure as heck doesn't.

kehs

Banned
? I do at work all the time

Do you use Safari?

You can drag Netflix to a separate window then place that window fullscreen on the other monitor. Same with any webpage with Flash or I assume Silverlight video. HTML5 video however has the best end of the deal where it puts the video as a Fullscreen window that you can place on any space you want and switch between with gestures and even continue using the browser while it's open. I love Safari. I don't think Chrome has this coolness and I know Firefox sure as heck doesn't.

I'm using chrome. I'll try safari later, which will be a nice workaround.

Thanks. =)

pj

Banned
Anyone have experience with Mavericks and video over HDMI through a receiver?

I had issues a couple years ago with blank screens and what not, so I have the HDMI going directly to the TV with audio going to the receiver through optical. I get sync issues from time to time so I'm wondering if it's worth climbing through my nest of wires to try HDMI again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm using chrome. I'll try safari later, which will be a nice workaround.

Thanks. =)
Last time I checked (Back when I used to use Chrome), NetFlix didn't even work on Chrome for some reason. You had to use Safari anyway. Did they change this?

All I know is Safari handles video and fullscreen so much better than Chrome (And Firefox) on OS X.

kennah

Last time I checked (Back when I used to use Chrome), NetFlix didn't even work on Chrome for some reason. You had to use Safari anyway. Did they change this?

All I know is Safari handles video and fullscreen so much better than Chrome (And Firefox) on OS X.

I use Chrome pretty much only for Netflix and Youtube (so I don't have to install Flash).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use Chrome pretty much only for Netflix and Youtube (so I don't have to install Flash).
I thought Netflix used Silverlight. Also, it used to be Safari only on OS X. If you tried to view it on Chrome they'd give you a polite message saying Chrome wasn't supported yet. I assume they finally fixed that.

japtor

It's a ZIP. Plugins are folders with extensions. Actually all packages on OS X are folders with extensions which is why .APPs are always in archives or DMG's.
A bit of a side note, occasionally there's some things that are just renamed zip archives...I can't remember any Mac particular ones right now (I'm vaguely thinking some document format), but one I messed with recently on my Mac was iOS carrier profiles. Their extension is IPCC but change it to ZIP and you can unarchive them and mess with the contents. Zip it back up and change the extension to IPCC and it's back to a carrier profile.

Ambitious

A bit of a side note, occasionally there's some things that are just renamed zip archives...I can't remember any Mac particular ones right now (I'm vaguely thinking some document format), but one I messed with recently on my Mac was iOS carrier profiles. Their extension is IPCC but change it to ZIP and you can unarchive them and mess with the contents. Zip it back up and change the extension to IPCC and it's back to a carrier profile.

MS Office files (2007 and newer - docx, xlsx, ...) are renamed zip archives, for instance.

edit: Apple iWork files as well; that's probably what you were thinking of.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In many cases, it can actually work both ways. Many apps that load packages will have a ZIP lib built in for reading files directly from them.

Löve can run .love files both in folders and in .zip files.

Java can run from both a zipped .jar file as well as a folder that has a .jar extension. (Though whether it works or not depends on the Java app's programming. Minecraft used to support just running from a folder but after the new launcher freaks out if it's not compressed back into a zip.)

Estocolmo

How duo you remove youtube ads from safari? Adblocker removed this feature a time ago and the ads are really getting on my nerves, they pop up on every single video and they are so annoying.

I have googled it but I'm not sure those alternatives are so secure.

How duo you remove youtube ads from safari? Adblocker removed this feature a time ago and the ads are really getting on my nerves, they pop up on every single video and they are so annoying.

Adblocker Plus is in beta for Safari and claims it will block most YouTube ads. Sounds like they are still working on adding features and sorting out issues (makes sense since it's in beta). I use it on my Windows PC in Chrome and it works quite well.

https://adblockplus.org/en/safari

kuppy

The YouTube Options Extension might me better for that matter. It's listed under Entertainment on https://extensions.apple.com.

mrkgoo

Is there any way to view a trash log or view trash folders in time machine?

My assumption is that time machine doesn't back up the ~/.Trash folder however.

It was late and I was operating my computer as I fell asleep and I recall trying to empty trash and getting the secure trash delete, but cancelling and then probably a regular trash as I heard the delete sound. I just want to double check if I hadn't thrown something in there before I deleted.

mrkgoo

I honestly miss windows explorer. Is there something more akin to that?

I don't use windows, but even when I did I used a window with icons - what is finder not doing that Windows explorer does? Is it just little things?

I use Finder exclusively on column view, and it's awesome. Although, Mavericks has some weird bugs - like I have files organised by name, but it shuffles them around and only updates if I jog it a bit.

Deku Tree

Is there any way to view a trash log or view trash folders in time machine?

My assumption is that time machine doesn't back up the ~/.Trash folder however.

It was late and I was operating my computer as I fell asleep and I recall trying to empty trash and getting the secure trash delete, but cancelling and then probably a regular trash as I heard the delete sound. I just want to double check if I hadn't thrown something in there before I deleted.

Time Machine doesn't back up the trash at all.

mrkgoo

Time Machine doesn't back up the trash at all.

Yeah I know this. It should though, I reckon.

Actually at one point it MAY have, because I found an old article in cnet saying to open the ~/.Trash folder in finder using terminal and THEN invoking Time machine to see trash history.

But yeah just wondering if there were ANY way of like seeing logs etc. I know time machine also doesn't back up system logs :p

Pretty sure the answer is no, but you never know :) thanks anyway

Ambitious

Can't believe that Reeder for Mac still hasn't been updated. I'm using NetNewsWire 4 currently and I'm actually satisfied with it, but there's no syncing at all..

Ashhong

Question guys, wasn't sure where I should ask this.

I was just watching a movie on my Macbook Pro and it froze up and restarted, did a little startup repair and booted to Safe Mode. Should I do anything while in safe mode other than disk utility? Should I be worried?

I ask because my mac has been acting wonky ever since I did a bunch of shit to dual boot Linux onto it. A few weeks ago it shut off by itself while in sleep mode and then when I booted it the OSX was just broken and I had to reinstall it. Is my SSD failing?

edit: I'm trying to verify and repair disk in Disk Utility but it just stops after "Checking Volume Information". The progress bar stops and nothing happens after. The option to repair is still greyed out..

Baconbitz

Banned
I don't use windows, but even when I did I used a window with icons - what is finder not doing that Windows explorer does? Is it just little things?

I use Finder exclusively on column view, and it's awesome. Although, Mavericks has some weird bugs - like I have files organised by name, but it shuffles them around and only updates if I jog it a bit.

Maybe it's the feel. Idk, I'm just comfortable with Windows Explorer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As nice as Explorer is, it still lacks a lot of things the Finder has. For instance, you wouldn't believe how much I am used to having folder sizes show up in list view. Explorer doesn't tell you the size of a folder's contents unless you get Properties on it. I couldn't live without that. And sometimes I mount my C: drive in OS X just for the convenience of seeing the sizes of all my folders.

Actually, I guess that's really it. I don't care for Explorer at all really. I actually prefer Finder. I don't see much of a difference though.

I don't use column view just as much as I don't use coverflow view. For me it's Icon and List view. Icons if I'm looking at a folder full of images or videos and list if I want to be able to see multiple folders in a tree at once. I find Column view useless as it doesn't tell you much information unless you click on a file. And there's no way to get info on a folder inline. So why use it. List view is where it's at. And Icon view is for the rest. Plus the ability to make the icons really really big.

Of course it could use a lot of changes. Like the stupidly thick white "photo border" around image thumbnails. We get it, it's like they're photos. Please get rid of them. It'd leave more room for the image itself. I remember when thumbnails were just the image, and if it was a PNG or GIF with transparency, the background would show through. Now it mattes the image with white and adds a super thick white border. I really hope a UI overhaul is coming with 10.10 and this is one of the things they dump.

Another problem is the half-assed tabs functionality. Say I have 4 folders open, and I want to put them all in one window as tabs. I can't unless I first A) show the toolbar on all four windows then B) make sure "Show Tab Bar" is turned on, a feature that doesn't show itself unless I'm in "single window mode" for that folder window. Then C) I have to drag them all manually into the one window. There should be a menu option to bring all open folders into a single window with one click whether they're in single window mode or not. And there should also be a way to just drag the window by the titlebar and hover over another window and have them join together too without needing single window mode turned on first. Then the folders should remember their sizes and not forget them so you can then explode all the tabs back into their original windows. Single window mode should be completely separate from individual folders. And should not be default when I don't want it to show up. It has a tendency of rearing its ugly head when I don't want it to.

I miss the OS 9 Finder. It was perfect. Object-oriented file browsers are so much better.

Only 4 months until we get a preview of 10.10.

mrkgoo

As nice as Explorer is, it still lacks a lot of things the Finder has. For instance, you wouldn't believe how much I am used to having folder sizes show up in list view. Explorer doesn't tell you the size of a folder's contents unless you get Properties on it. I couldn't live without that. And sometimes I mount my C: drive in OS X just for the convenience of seeing the sizes of all my folders.

Actually, I guess that's really it. I don't care for Explorer at all really. I actually prefer Finder. I don't see much of a difference though.

I don't use column view just as much as I don't use coverflow view. For me it's Icon and List view. Icons if I'm looking at a folder full of images or videos and list if I want to be able to see multiple folders in a tree at once. I find Column view useless as it doesn't tell you much information unless you click on a file. And there's no way to get info on a folder inline. So why use it. List view is where it's at. And Icon view is for the rest. Plus the ability to make the icons really really big.

Of course it could use a lot of changes. Like the stupidly thick white "photo border" around image thumbnails. We get it, it's like they're photos. Please get rid of them. It'd leave more room for the image itself. I remember when thumbnails were just the image, and if it was a PNG or GIF with transparency, the background would show through. Now it mattes the image with white and adds a super thick white border. I really hope a UI overhaul is coming with 10.10 and this is one of the things they dump.

Another problem is the half-assed tabs functionality. Say I have 4 folders open, and I want to put them all in one window as tabs. I can't unless I first A) show the toolbar on all four windows then B) make sure "Show Tab Bar" is turned on, a feature that doesn't show itself unless I'm in "single window mode" for that folder window. Then C) I have to drag them all manually into the one window. There should be a menu option to bring all open folders into a single window with one click whether they're in single window mode or not. And there should also be a way to just drag the window by the titlebar and hover over another window and have them join together too without needing single window mode turned on first. Then the folders should remember their sizes and not forget them so you can then explode all the tabs back into their original windows. Single window mode should be completely separate from individual folders. And should not be default when I don't want it to show up. It has a tendency of rearing its ugly head when I don't want it to.

I miss the OS 9 Finder. It was perfect. Object-oriented file browsers are so much better.

Only 4 months until we get a preview of 10.10.

I pretty much exclusively use column view, as I'm mostly navigating nested folders, and can see my context better.

I'm just used to it. I guess I don't need the info as much and I use cmd+i to see it.

Fuchsdh

I pretty much exclusively use column view, as I'm mostly navigating nested folders, and can see my context better.

I'm just used to it. I guess I don't need the info as much and I use cmd+i to see it.

Yeah using only list view is like trying to do things with my hands covered in duct tape. Column view easily is the most useful option for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope nope nope. I need to see as much information at once as possible. Column view doesn't let me do that. List view all the way. It's extremely useful for viewing all files in a project at once since you can expand every folder at once if you want to.

Use what you want. It's nice to have options.

But if you use Coverflow view, you're part of the problem. :p
I kid. But not really. Okay I do.

I really hope Coverflow is removed in 10.10. It's a UI fad that has worn out its welcome. It should be replaced by something that works better. Like maybe an information sidebar. Though they should just have a toggle able information sidebar that can be seen in any view that shows all the information you'd see in Get Info for any file(s) that are selected. Kind of like Explorer's information bar but on the side. It's the one thing Column view has that I like. (Though it should have much more information than what you see right now)

Fuchsdh

Nope nope nope. I need to see as much information at once as possible. Column view doesn't let me do that. List view all the way. It's extremely useful for viewing all files in a project at once since you can expand every folder at once if you want to.

Use what you want. It's nice to have options.

But if you use Coverflow view, you're part of the problem. :p
I kid. But not really. Okay I do.

I really hope Coverflow is removed in 10.10. It's a UI fad that has worn out its welcome. It should be replaced by something that works better. Like maybe an information sidebar. Though they should just have a toggle able information sidebar that can be seen in any view that shows all the information you'd see in Get Info for any file(s) that are selected. Kind of like Explorer's information bar but on the side. It's the one thing Column view has that I like. (Though it should have much more information than what you see right now)

I dunno anyone who actually uses Coverflow, because it's so highly dependent on good icons or good previews. It makes perfect sense in iTunes, less so in the Finder.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno anyone who actually uses Coverflow, because it's so highly dependent on good icons or good previews. It makes perfect sense in iTunes, less so in the Finder.
And yet they removed it from both iTunes and iOS, the two places where it might make sense and was originally designed for. I predict it will be gone by 10.10 if Apple is smart and has OS X getting a makeover right now like iOS.

I really can't wait for WWDC. Just like every year.

Fuchsdh

And yet they removed it from both iTunes and iOS, the two places where it might make sense and was originally designed for. I predict it will be gone by 10.10 if Apple is smart and has OS X getting a makeover right now like iOS.

I really can't wait for WWDC. Just like every year.

If Jony Ive flattens everything to the degree of iOS I hunt him down and hit him across the head.

OS X already got flattened plenty in 10.7.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If Jony Ive flattens everything to the degree of iOS I hunt him down and hit him across the head.

OS X already got flattened plenty in 10.7.
We can go flatter.

Actually, I'd be happy if they just re-enabled the option for the Dock to have a 2D look at the bottom. The 2D Dock looks so much nicer. But it's only available on the sides.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want more flatness and blurred out transparent overlays. I happen to like iOS 7's flatness.

Okay. Maybe not too flat.

But stuff does need to change. And some needs to be really tweaked. All I'm asking for is unification. iOS got all the love last time. Time for some OS X love. Plus 10.10 is a pretty big milestone. So bring it on.

Deku Tree

We can go flatter.

Actually, I'd be happy if they just re-enabled the option for the Dock to have a 2D look at the bottom. The 2D Dock looks so much nicer. But it's only available on the sides.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want more flatness and blurred out transparent overlays. I happen to like iOS 7's flatness.

Okay. Maybe not too flat.

But stuff does need to change. And some needs to be really tweaked. All I'm asking for is unification. iOS got all the love last time. Time for some OS X love. Plus 10.10 is a pretty big milestone. So bring it on.

Many Apple execs have explicitly laughed at the in their view mistaken notion of unification that say MS pursued with Windows 8.

It might be fun to have some parallax effects on mac laptops though.

mrkgoo

Many Apple execs have explicitly laughed at the in their view mistaken notion of unification that say MS pursued with Windows 8.

Imagine if it was done with headtracking (which obviously means the camera has to be running all the time, so no, it won't ever happen).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I wasn't talking about making OS X into iOS. Why would any company in their right mind try and merge a mobile OS into a desktop one? That would be completely and utterly braindead stupid if any company were to think that would be a smart idea. Thankfully there aren't any companies out there that matter that would ever do such a thing... right?
Oh god.

I mean GUI unification. Not UX. Graphical unification. Not user interface. The effects and look are all I want.

Deku Tree

I wasn't talking about making OS X into iOS. Why would any company in their right mind try and merge a mobile OS into a desktop one? That would be completely and utterly braindead stupid if any company were to think that would be a smart idea. Thankfully there aren't any companies out there that matter that would ever do such a thing... right?
Oh god.

I mean GUI unification. Not UX. Graphical unification. Not user interface. The effects and look are all I want.

I don't want an excessive amount of flatness in 10.10.

I'd like to have things like an iCloud folder that I can open on my iPad or any of my computers. Why does Apple make us use Dropbox, Box, etc, to have that functionality?

Fuchsdh

I don't want an excessive amount of flatness in 10.10.

I'd like to have things like an iCloud folder that I can open on my iPad or any of my computers. Why does Apple make us use Dropbox, Box, etc, to have that functionality?

I *think* it's a consequence of data siloing in iCloud. Technically the "iCloud folder" you speak of exists, but it's hidden away and really only convenient on OS X to access via file dialogs.

Deku Tree

I *think* it's a consequence of data siloing in iCloud. Technically the "iCloud folder" you speak of exists, but it's hidden away and really only convenient on OS X to access via file dialogs.

I use cloud folders all the time on both iOS and OS X. Read a PDF document in Goodreader and mark it up with comments then send it to dropbox. Open it up on my Mac, use the comments to type the next draft. Send the next draft back to the iPad and read it again. Etc.

I wouldn't mind more flatness, but to be honest there is a lot of basic functionality I would like to see dealt with higher priority though. iCloud needs a major functionality push in order to bring it into line with other services.
  • Finally enable proper seamles multiuser iWorks documents sharing
  • Also I would like to be able to share my callendar as 'only show as busy' to my SO.

Deku Tree

I wouldn't mind more flatness, but to be honest there is a lot of basic functionality I would like to see dealt with higher priority though. iCloud needs a major functionality push in order to bring it into line with other services.
  • Finally enable proper seamles multiuser iWorks documents sharing
  • Also I would like to be able to share my callendar as 'only show as busy' to my SO.

Does Google Calendar have that? My wife would get curious if I started doing stuff like that...

So I got a new 27" iMac (late 2013) model with Mavericks and after much trial and error managed to bootcamp Windows 8. However I made the mistake of using "Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033" instead of downloading the latest version and now after installing it I can't boot into Mavericks. Holding down the "Option" key doesn't work anymore, it just boots straight into Windows 8.

Can I fix this without having to reinstall Mavericks?

Deku Tree

So I got a new 27" iMac (late 2013) model with Mavericks and after much trial and error managed to bootcamp Windows 8. However I made the mistake of using "Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033" instead of downloading the latest version and now after installing it I can't boot into Mavericks. Holding down the "Option" key doesn't work anymore, it just boots straight into Windows 8.

Can I fix this without having to reinstall Mavericks?

Try to Press Command-R during startup to Start from the OS X Recovery System.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1533

and after you get back, go to sys prefs --> start up disk and change it to boot to OSX. After that download BootChamp so you don't have to futz with key commands when you want to boot to Windows.

Try to Press Command-R during startup to Start from the OS X Recovery System.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1533

and after you get back, go to sys prefs --> start up disk and change it to boot to OSX. After that download BootChamp so you don't have to futz with key commands when you want to boot to Windows.

Thanks all. I found out that you could change the boot target from the Windows 8 using Boot Camp in the Control Panel. I thought I lost my OS X partition and went into panic mode.

Top Bottom