• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Fuchsdh

All I want is a completely transparent menu bar and a different color for windows. Slate gray is so 90s.

A neutral color is best for graphics work. And a transparent menu bar would be next to useless from a usability standpoint (hence why they dialed the transparency back severely in 10.7 from the betas to release, and offered an option to keep it opaque.)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
A neutral color is best for graphics work. And a transparent menu bar would be next to useless from a usability standpoint (hence why they dialed the transparency back severely in 10.7 from the betas to release, and offered an option to keep it opaque.)
They can make it work like on iOS 7. Maybe once you hover over it, it can turn another color. I think it would be fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i just got a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina and have a couple of questions.

For whatever reason, my login screen appears to be in Norwegian. It says stuff like "Avbryt" and "Gjest" on it. Any idea why this may be? I bought the machine from an Apple store in the US and set it up to use US English.

One other question. Is there a quick keyboard shortcut to get to the login screen like WIN + L in Windows?

Deku Tree

i just got a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina and have a couple of questions.

For whatever reason, my login screen appears to be in Norwegian. It says stuff like "Avbryt" and "Gjest" on it. Any idea why this may be? I bought the machine from an Apple store in the US and set it up to use US English.

The first ish question the computer asks you when loading it up is to pick your language. If you can get to the system preferences. Then click on the language and region preference and change it. If that doesn't work then call AppleCare support for free.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The first ish question the computer asks you when loading it up is to pick your language. If you can get to the system preferences. Then click on the language and region preference and change it. If that doesn't work then call AppleCare support for free.

Yes, I chose English at start up and my region is the United States. The rest of the OS displays perfectly in English. It's just the log in screen.

I even followed the steps in this help article to set it to English specifically, but it did nothing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4102

I may just give AppleCare a call, then. Just figured the Internet would have more information than someone on a hotline.

Deku Tree

AppleCare people are smart, they are not just some hotline dummy. They know what questions to ask and they usually know more than the internet. They may tell you to re-install OS X or some specific files because something got corrupted.

mrkgoo

AppleCare people are smart, they are not just some hotline dummy. They know what questions to ask and they usually know more than the internet. They may tell you to re-install OS X or some specific files because something got corrupted.

I've called the helpline a few times and, yeah, they know stuff, or at least are well trained to deal with you. It feels like I get 1:1 service - they give me email addresses and stay in contact pretty well.

Ahmed

I run Mavericks on my mac mini 2011 and it run great. tabs in finder are the best feature for me. yet apple need more innovation, their leading role in technology is decreasing with time.

Fuchsdh

I run Mavericks on my mac mini 2011 and it run great. tabs in finder are the best feature for me. yet apple need more innovation, their leading role in technology is decreasing with time.

What the hell does "more innovation" really mean?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As I mentioned a few posts ago, I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina. I went with the 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD option.

I finally discovered Activity Monitor and right now it says "Memory Used: 7.50 GB" when I only have a few applications open. The computer has been on all day and I've opened and closed plenty of apps.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all? I'm not noticing any poor performance right now, but I'm used to how Windows does things and having almost all of my memory in use seems like a bad thing.

Fuchsdh

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina. I went with the 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD option.

I finally discovered Activity Monitor and right now it says "Memory Used: 7.50 GB" when I only have a few applications open. The computer has been on all day and I've opened and closed plenty of apps.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all? I'm not noticing any poor performance right now, but I'm used to how Windows does things and having almost all of my memory in use seems like a bad thing.

What applications do you have open? I can't think of any normal apps that would take up that much room unless you have tons of browser tabs/Flash/Java content open.

Deku Tree

Can you see which activities are using your RAM? In general Macericks takes advantage of your available RAM. Nothing wrong with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What applications do you have open? I can't think of any normal apps that would take up that much room unless you have tons of browser tabs/Flash/Java content open.

There is a detailed breakdown. The biggest one is something called "kernel_task" at 682.9 MB. Then I have Mail at 260 MB, three Safari Web Content things at around 150 MB each. Then there's a bunch more small things listed at around 20~80 MB and a bunch more in the kilobytes. The list doesn't come close to adding up to 7.5 GB, though.

Fuchsdh

There is a detailed breakdown. The biggest one is something called "kernel_task" at 682.9 MB. Then I have Mail at 260 MB, three Safari Web Content things at around 150 MB each. Then there's a bunch more small things listed at around 20~80 MB and a bunch more in the kilobytes. The list doesn't come close to adding up to 7.5 GB, though.

Then there's nothing much to worry about prolly. Mavericks tends to chew through what RAM you give it, up to a point—as long as you're not seeing swaps, you're fine and performance isn't likely being affected.

[...] having almost all of my memory in use seems like a bad thing.

Out of curiosity, what's listed under 'file cache' on the right side of the memory graph?

OS X is going to use any ostensibly free memory to cache files and previously run executables; it will get re-alocated as you need it. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Anyone have experience with Mavericks and video over HDMI through a receiver?

I had issues a couple years ago with blank screens and what not, so I have the HDMI going directly to the TV with audio going to the receiver through optical. I get sync issues from time to time so I'm wondering if it's worth climbing through my nest of wires to try HDMI again.
I hook my rMBP up to my Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver via HDMI all the time and I get not only 1080p video going to my TV but 5.1 audio to my receiver to watch movies, anime and such.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, what's listed under 'file cache' on the right side of the memory graph?

OS X is going to use any ostensibly free memory to cache files and previously run executables; it will get re-alocated as you need it. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

File Cache is at 4.84 GB and App Memory is at 2.28 GB, while Memory Used is now at 7.99 GB! I just rebooted my computer, too, and have only Safari, Mail, and Battle.net launcher running.

I'm just going to assume that Memory Used is not the actual memory being taken up by active programs. I wonder what it is, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
File Cache is at 4.84 GB and App Memory is at 2.28 GB, while Memory Used is now at 7.99 GB! I just rebooted my computer, too, and have only Safari, Mail, and Battle.net launcher running.

I'm just going to assume that Memory Used is not the actual memory being taken up by active programs. I wonder what it is, though.
Mavericks will use up all your memory now. As was said it will fill it with previously opened apps to make them launch faster next time. But if another app needs that memory it will clear a way for it. Quitting apps and rebooting might empty some memory space but it will quickly be taken by something else.

On a crazily unrelated but actually quite sort of related note, I just checked my own Activity Monitor out of curiosity and wanted to see roughly how much memory Safari was using as that's the thing I mostly use. I noticed a single process using 11GB of RAM! Mousing over it I discover it's a Gawker tab. The page was their story on the new GOT trailer. 11GB! And the tab hadn't been focused yet! (It was sitting idle in the background like 9 out of the other 12 tabs I have open that I haven't focused yet since my last relaunch) Memory leak, much? I hate those sites so much. So I opened the video to its own YouTube tab and closed the Gawker tab. It freed up all that memory immediately. Down to 4GB used. OS X is now slowly filling it up with other stuff. God dammit, Gawker. WTF was that? I don't even know what was on the page that would fill that much memory.

Speaking of which, I really wish NeoGAF had an option to only request HTML and image based ads. I hate that I need to have Flash enabled for GAF. Plus with Safari's power-save, most of the time the ads don't load as Safari deems them not part of the main content to save power. So an option to only use image ads would be great. Then I wouldn't feel bad when all I see is a single frame of an ad and a "Power save mode" notice. Plus it's stupid because SOME ads for some reason will trigger my discreet GPU for no reason at all if Safari fails to recognize them as not part of the content. I mean literally right now, NeoGAF was the only tab using Flash when I force quit it to check. All that crashed was my ad at the top of this reply page. Please give us an HTML/Image only option. I thought Google was smart and maybe would not serve Flash ads when I had Flash disabled for the site, but nope. It just makes Safari ask if I want to enable Flash for GAF every time. I can't even set it to never ask. I don't need Flash for GAF. It's a waste of resources if GAF is the only page I am currently using and all it's being used for is an ad I can't even see at the moment because I'm not at the top or bottom of a page. Edit: Okay, I have blocked Flash for NeoGAF. But now I feel terrible because even though I wasn't seeing Flash ads before, now I'm not seeing them at all so half the ads I get just say "Flash blocked for this website" which is bad because I don't know if GAF gets revenue now. I just want an option to only do image ads! Those are fine! (Most of the time) I guess Google can't tell when Flash is blocked in Safari so it serves a Flash ad no matter what. Seems to be a weird oversight on Google's part. (I'd disable Flash entirely for Safari if I could. But occasionally I need it. So I just set to to ask by default.)

Also, what is this?
ilHPzEn824xYi.png
I literally don't even know what this ad is for because this is the only part I ever see of it. It's not Flash or anything. It's apparently a bunch of circle images that look like clouds in an embedded container and clicking them does nothing. But I see it a lot. Is it just a failed ad that didn't load and maybe that's just the default background?

I have typed a lot of words now.

App memory is RAM being used by GUI applications. If you're looking at the list of processes, make sure "all" is selected from the view menu.

The memory pressure graph in the middle is a better indication of how taxed the memory in your system is. If it's usually green then you don't have problems.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I don't know what's going on at Apple. 10.9.2 and iOS 7.1 are taking way too long to be simply bug-fixing updates. 7.1 looks like it's gonna be worth the wait, but I don't know about 10.9.2.

They're both gonna be good !!!
IMO

GWX

They're both gonna be good !!!
IMO

Are you beta testing 10.9.2? Can you tell me if the random beachballs, the safari "QTServer" process hanging issue and the issue where the windows get stuck in corners after turning on the monitor (at least in my case, I have a Mac mini) are fixed?

Deku Tree

Are you beta testing 10.9.2? Can you tell me if the random beachballs, the safari "QTServer" process hanging issue and the issue where the windows get stuck in corners after turning on the monitor (at least in my case, I have a Mac mini) are fixed?

No just optimistic.

Ambitious

I've been having some weird issues with my Mac mini HTPC lately.

I've got two accounts: One with XBMC permanently running, and one admin account for management, which I usually use remotely.

Most of the time, when I connect to it via screensharing, neither Spotlight nor Time Machine do work, but only when I use the admin account. With the other one, everything's fine.

Regarding Spotlight: The search bar simply does not appear. The menu bar/Finder isn't frozen, as all other items work. Console.app says "Spotlight: Request visibility timeout" whenever I click on the icon. There are just two Google results: One unrelated, and one with the same problem but no resolution.

Regarding Time Machine: That's even weirder. When I start it, the current Finder window is put into "Time Machine mode", meaning the minimize/maximize buttons and some sidebar icons (e.g. Airdrop) are greyed out, but that's it. The space animation does not start. (I can't remember the Console.app entry and I can't have a look right now)

Neither repairing rights nor restarting fixes this, but logging out the XBMC account does.

Deku Tree

I've been having some weird issues with my Mac mini HTPC lately.

I've got two accounts: One with XBMC permanently running, and one admin account for management, which I usually use remotely.

Most of the time, when I connect to it via screensharing, neither Spotlight nor Time Machine do work, but only when I use the admin account. With the other one, everything's fine.

Regarding Spotlight: The search bar simply does not appear. The menu bar/Finder isn't frozen, as all other items work. Console.app says "Spotlight: Request visibility timeout" whenever I click on the icon. There are just two Google results: One unrelated, and one with the same problem but no resolution.

Regarding Time Machine: That's even weirder. When I start it, the current Finder window is put into "Time Machine mode", meaning the minimize/maximize buttons and some sidebar icons (e.g. Airdrop) are greyed out, but that's it. The space animation does not start. (I can't remember the Console.app entry and I can't have a look right now)

Neither repairing rights nor restarting fixes this, but logging out the XBMC account does.

Could be a conflict with XBMC or could be corrupted software. You could try completely uninstalling XBMC and then reinstalling it. Otherwise it sounds like a fairly serious problem. You could try asking the people at Apple Support Communities too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All I want from 10.9.2 at this point is for the Finder to no longer become a zombie process at random times. I've explained what I mean a few times already. I just want it fixed. I'm tired of force rebooting whenever it happens. I might as well bind sudo shutdown -r now to a hotkey.

I'm also optimistic that the extremely long wait for .2 is because they're fixing and tweaking every single thing they can find just to make it perfect. Though I'd rather they'd done more incremental updates in the interim instead.

Same with iOS 7.1. The elves are working hard at Apple. I can't wait for Christmas.

Deku Tree

All I want from 10.9.2 at this point is for the Finder to no longer become a zombie process at random times. I've explained what I mean a few times already. I just want it fixed. I'm tired of force rebooting whenever it happens. I might as well bind sudo shutdown -r now to a hotkey.

I'm also optimistic that the extremely long wait for .2 is because they're fixing and tweaking every single thing they can find just to make it perfect. Though I'd rather they'd done more incremental updates in the interim instead.

Same with iOS 7.1. The elves are working hard at Apple. I can't wait for Christmas.

Your not running the betas?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Your not running the betas?
Nope. I'm just patiently sitting here like everyone else waiting for them.

I'm sure I could run the OS X beta if I really wanted to. But I already did that with the 10.9 DP and that was a fun roller coaster of a ride. (Ugh. DP6 was terribly problematic!) I don't plan on doing that again until WWDC.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah IMO the Beta bugs are not worth it.
I only test out the DP's because I want to see all the new stuff. It's not always worth it, but I jump in when I see a feature I really want and can't wait 3 months for.

But point updates, nah. I'll wait for them to come out.

When I do DP's I make sure to have a backup to revert to and only do one machine in case I have a problem. Usually they're not even complete and sometimes a big feature either doesn't work yet or isn't implemented until GM. Like iCloud not working until release for obvious reasons or when the Dock first became 3D it wasn't available until GM. (So all Dock related features in that version didn't work yet until Gold Master came out.)

I still look forward to June every year now like a child on Christmas Eve.

Right. That's the feeling I get, too.

The difficulty for me is that I have a late 2013 rMBP, so not only am I waiting for refinements to Mavericks, but bug fixes for my hardware that are coming in 10.9.2, so it's kind of double the amount of problems.

Ahmed

What the hell does "more innovation" really mean?
In the past apple lead the world technology with products like iPhone and iPad. yet for some years now there is no revolutionary products from apple, waiting though for iWatch. apple is not rocking the IT world as it used to do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Right. That's the feeling I get, too.

The difficulty for me is that I have a late 2013 rMBP, so not only am I waiting for refinements to Mavericks, but bug fixes for my hardware that are coming in 10.9.2, so it's kind of double the amount of problems.
I have a 2013 rMBP. What problems do you mean? Are they isolated to a specific model? (I have the high end 15".)

japtor

In the past apple lead the world technology with products like iPhone and iPad. yet for some years now there is no revolutionary products from apple, waiting though for iWatch. apple is not rocking the IT world as it used to do.
Revolutionary is a strong word, and always seems overused. iPad is technically a derivative of the iPhone, and before that was a nice MP3 player in 2001 and computer in 1984 (and another computer before in 1977)*. And that stuff was better/different versions of existing products, and just continued refinement/evolution. There's also a bunch of relatively minor products commercially like the AirPort (it was actually a big deal when it came out) and AppleTV and what not. But basically the same deal, they come out with something once in a while and just continue to work on it.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is the longevity of computing platforms. The Mac is 30 years old and still going (...albeit realistically 13 years old in the current incarnation). iOS is relatively young and still has room to grow, both on the current platforms as well as future ones. There's your watch. And car integration. It's already on AppleTV.

*Course there's that big chunk of time without Jobs, but if you look at what he did on his own...he spent it on trying to make another better computer.

Fuchsdh

At least right now, it doesn't seem likely that smartwatches are going anywhere—Microsoft tried for years and failed, and now Samsung comes along… and fails. At least right now there's no major consumer demand for the devices, and/or no device that makes consumers demand one.

This whole "they haven't innovated" line is, frankly, bullshit. Looking back, I could predict a portable music player, a smartphone, a tablet, but I can't imagine coming up with something that looked like the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad. Who knows what the next "revolution" is going to look like? People saying "Apple can't innovate" are frankly ignorant to the extreme about what constitutes real innovation. To me, redesigning one of the fastest computers you can buy on the market right now and making it whisper quiet in a shell 1/8th the volume of the previous computer is pretty damn impressive. I'm sorry it isn't a fabled smartwatch.

As for IT, if you mean IT departments Apple hasn't really given a crap for years.

Deku Tree

At least right now, it doesn't seem likely that smartwatches are going anywhere—Microsoft tried for years and failed, and now Samsung comes along… and fails. At least right now there's no major consumer demand for the devices, and/or no device that makes consumers demand one.

This whole "they haven't innovated" line is, frankly, bullshit. Looking back, I could predict a portable music player, a smartphone, a tablet, but I can't imagine coming up with something that looked like the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad. Who knows what the next "revolution" is going to look like? People saying "Apple can't innovate" are frankly ignorant to the extreme about what constitutes real innovation. To me, redesigning one of the fastest computers you can buy on the market right now and making it whisper quiet in a shell 1/8th the volume of the previous computer is pretty damn impressive. I'm sorry it isn't a fabled smartwatch.

As for IT, if you mean IT departments Apple hasn't really given a crap for years.

Agreed. You can't come up with a new iPod or iPhone or iPad type product every single year. The Mac Pro is awesome innovation. And it's not like other companies are producing the next killer tech product and leaving Apple in their dust so far.

Top Bottom