• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Xun

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/mac-os-mavericks-compatability.html

Don't appear to be any major issues, although you should really start thinking about upping to CS6 as it's likely going to be the standard for holdouts for a while and you'll see some pretty good updates.

Haven't run into any issues in Maya 2013 but I've been switching over to Cinema for more and more stuff so I can't really say I've run it through its paces.
True, I just lack the money to invest into it. :p

I'm not too keen on the interface either, but maybe I'd get used to it.

I'll have to investigate further when it comes to Maya then.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm tempted to finally make the jump, but I just wanted to know if Adobe's CS3 Suite works on Mavericks?

I also need to ensure Maya isn't bugged at all...
I only have Photoshop CS3 and it has survived through half a dozen major OS X upgrades and countless point updates. I even trimmed my copy down to the bare essentials. (No Bridge, removed the PowerPC binary and all its localizations, deleted the Help stuff I never use since we have something called an "Internet".) Got it down to a slim 261MB total. It's a trooper and it refuses to die. Who knows how long it'll be before it finally breaks?

However it's not Retina but for what I use it for, it's not an issue.

Fuchsdh

True, I just lack the money to invest into it. :p

I'm not too keen on the interface either, but maybe I'd get used to it.

I'll have to investigate further when it comes to Maya then.

Oh I hate how the interface got Windozed too, but considering how everything's gone Cloud upping to CS6 and riding it as long as you can seems a good option. Dunno what applications you use in the suite but the 64-bit upgrades alone should be a great boost.

The other shoe is that all the CS3 apps are I believe still Carbon, which means if Apple decides to just axe outdated tech in the codebase they may just not work one upgrade.

Oh I hate how the interface got Windozed too, but considering how everything's gone Cloud upping to CS6 and riding it as long as you can seems a good option. Dunno what applications you use in the suite but the 64-bit upgrades alone should be a great boost.

The other shoe is that all the CS3 apps are I believe still Carbon, which means if Apple decides to just axe outdated tech in the codebase they may just not work one upgrade.

You may want to wait until the Adobe Max conference to see if they change their purchasing models at all for the next year. I would love to see some perpetual license options for very small shops. Otherwise, I think I'm going to take my creativity somewhere else.

Fuchsdh

You may want to wait until the Adobe Max conference to see if they change their purchasing models at all for the next year. I would love to see some perpetual license options for very small shops. Otherwise, I think I'm going to take my creativity somewhere else.

We can hope, but from my experience there may have been a backlash against CC but it's not enough to really change things.

Photoshop might have some chance of being dislodged, but there's no competitor even close to replacing After Effects for me, and thus I'm locked into Adobe.

Ambitious

What the.. I just booted my Mac, and after logging in the Dock did not appear. It wasn't hidden. So I started iTerm using Alfred and killed the process. Fine, it appeared. However, I couldn't click on any dock item. The floating app name labels hovered next to the cursor as usual, clicking didn't do anything. In fact, clicking didn't work anywhere. So I killed Finder as well. Clicking worked for about 10 seconds, then it stopped doing so again.

Fine now after another reboot. Nothing in Console.app.

mrkgoo

Does anyone else still get issues trying to edit posts on GAF using safari? it always just perpetually sits with a spinning ball, but if I reload the page, it has obviously edited the post.

Does anyone else still get issues trying to edit posts on GAF using safari? it always just perpetually sits with a spinning ball, but if I reload the page, it has obviously edited the post.

Happens to me all the time. No clue what it is.

Yeah but the edit goes through anyway. And if you reload the web page without waiting for the spinning ball to stop then your edit will have appeared.

Had it happen in Safari and also on Windows machines running Chrome.

mrkgoo

Happens to me all the time. No clue what it is.

Yeah but the edit goes through anyway. And if you reload the web page without waiting for the spinning ball to stop then your edit will have appeared.

Had it happen in Safari and also on Winfows machines running Chrome.

Yeah I knew this was happening a while ago, but figured it would be fixed by now, assuming it was an issue with GAF. But guess not, thanks for the responses.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I get the edit bug both with Safari on OS X and with Firefox on Windows. It's slightly annoying but I'm sort of used to it by now.

Ironically enough, it's not happening when I edit this post. lol.

Put this in the Mac Hardware thread, but then remembered about this thread. Anyone able to help?

Mavericks has been fine, but after turning on my computer this morning, many programs will not open or respond. So far it is Pages, TextEdit, and Preview. I did a search online and most responses say I need the Base.iProj folder in the programs, which is there.

Anyone have any ideas? It is frustrating, as everything was perfect before shut down last night.

EDIT: I restarted my computer again, and everything is working. No idea what happened.

mrkgoo

Put this in the Mac Hardware thread, but then remembered about this thread. Anyone able to help?

Mavericks has been fine, but after turning on my computer this morning, many programs will not open or respond. So far it is Pages, TextEdit, and Preview. I did a search online and most responses say I need the Base.iProj folder in the programs, which is there.

Anyone have any ideas? It is frustrating, as everything was perfect before shut down last night.

EDIT: I restarted my computer again, and everything is working. No idea what happened.

My first response for anything us "have you tried turning it off and on again ?" Pay it no mind unless it starts happening regularly or consistently. Then it might be a sign of hardware malfunction. Or just buggy mavericks.

kuppy

Is there a fix for a stuck download bar in the dock?
I have the Downloads folder linked in the dock and sometimes when files get downloaded (I think it only happens with small files - .pdf or .zip below 20kb for example) the download bar is still there even after the download is finished.

The only fix I can find is to remove Downloads from the dock to then afterwards put it there again. I guess a reboot (of Finder) might also help, but a real fix would of course be much better. I think I have this bug since the first version of Mavericks.

Edit: Did just happen again, here is a screen grab in case my description wasn't clear enough.

screenshot2014-03-27a7vkct.png

fireside

I have the Downloads folder linked in the dock and sometimes when files get downloaded (I think it only happens with small files - .pdf or .zip below 20kb for example) the download bar is still there even after the download is finished.

The only fix I can find is to remove Downloads from the dock to then afterwards put it there again. I guess a reboot (of Finder) might also help, but a real fix would of course be much better. I think I have this bug since the first version of Mavericks.

Edit: Did just happen again, here is a screen grab in case my description wasn't clear enough.

I think this is a fairly common issue, I have it as well. I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it from happening.

mrkgoo

It's odd why there are bugs like this because I don't think I have seen that.

Maybe on mountain lion.

Sean

Banned

Happened to me the other day (and several times before that), I just launched Activity Monitor and force quit the Dock. It'll relaunch instantly and without the stuck download bar.

kuppy

I think this is a fairly common issue, I have it as well. I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it from happening.
Yep, I didn't complain so far because I thought something like that would get fixed rather quickly.

Happened to me the other day (and several times before that), I just launched Activity Monitor and force quit the Dock. It'll relaunch instantly and without the stuck download bar.
Oh, that sounds indeed easier, thanks.

Ambitious

Weird. When I turned my Mac mini on today, a message appeared, saying that my Time Machine had been evaluated/checked*, and a completely new one had to be created, overwriting my backup history. First time this ever happened.

* I'm using the German localization of OS X, not sure which term is used in the English one.

Weird. When I turned my Mac mini on today, a message appeared, saying that my Time Machine had been evaluated/checked*, and a completely new one had to be created, overwriting my backup history. First time this ever happened.

Yeah, it's happened to me on my Mini at work before. Haven't had the problem on my Mac Pro with an internal Time Machine disk.

TxdoHawk

Out of curiosity, has anyone here gone through the process for becoming an Apple Certified Support Professional? Just wondering about experiences taking the test, etc.

I'm in the process of going through the book and it seems Comptia A+ level easy so far, if not easier. Can't believe people would take the overpriced 3 day course to learn this stuff.

Is it possible to create a partition on an internal or on an external hard drive without losing data on existing partitions?

What I do not want to do is format the drive thus losing all the data and create partitions. Similarly if I decide to delete a newly create partition, can I delete it without formatting the drive losing data on other partitions?

I am thinking to try Boot Camp. I know that it create a partition on the internal hard drive but I don't want to lose existing data on the startup disk.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Partitioning is harmless as long as you're splitting existing partitions. With BootCamp you will only be able to have the main OS X partition and the Windows one will be placed after it. The OS will first move all the blocks from the end of the drive to free up the space but it'll work out in the end. If you're paranoid just make sure you have a backup first. Like you should anyway.

kuppy

Safari 7.0.3 update (via idownloadblog)
  • Fixes an issue that could cause the search and address field to load a webpage or send a search term before the return key is pressed
  • Improves credit card autofill with websites
  • Fixes an issue that could block receipt of push notifications from websites
  • Adds a preference to turn off push notification prompts from websites
  • Adds support for webpages with generic top-level domains
  • Strengthens Safari sandboxing
  • Fixes security issues, including several identified in recent security competitions

Number45

That last Safari update seems to have changed the way that the unread count is shown for Inoreader. When I don't have the tab highlighted it doesn't show the count - when I highlight the tab it shows in the address bar... which is no use! Checked and Firefox is fine, and the Inoreader guys on Twitter say nothing has changed.

Tab:
1S7cuY8.png

Address bar:
MvlWO3n.png

Fuu

I ran some tests yesterday on a mid-2011 Air with less than 300 cycles. I did a clean install with Lion, the battery on 100% showed an estimate of 7:20h. Upgraded to Mavericks, the estimate time remaining on 100% was down 3:30h. All that after the usual battery saving configurations were made, spotlight was done indexing, etc.

Very, very unacceptable. I hope they're working on fixing the way Mavericks deals with the battery on older models with the next upgrade, but I'm already considering downgrading the OS for good.

Fuu

Have you actually run the battery down? Estimations don't mean anything. Calibrate it first.
Yeah, I kept running it down to calibrate before ultimately deciding on a clean install. I'll try running it down a couple more times but honestly I just think it's some OS-related wonkiness since it wasn't like this after I did a normal update from ML on Mavericks' release, and poorer battery life has been the case for other people with older Mac models (including intermittent "service battery" warnings and the percentage indicator sometimes not acting like it should). Anyway, I'll try calibrating it again later and if it doesn't change I'll just keep hoping the next incremental system update will bring improvements on that front.

I´ve been experiencing some weird issues with YouTube with Safari today. I´m on OS X 10.9.2 and some videos are displaying some weird glitches like color changing, pixelation and stuttering. I´ve uninstalled flash and installed latest version again but that didn´t fix it.

Can you help me out guys?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Awww, I'll help you out little buddy.
I never create threads, because I'm OCD and like longer ones.
It was my first.

Edit: For fucks sake. I should have just posted it here anyway. The PC community has turned the damn thing into a battleground. Fucking hell.

Fuchsdh

It was my first.

Edit: For fucks sake. I should have just posted it here anyway. The PC community has turned the damn thing into a battleground. Fucking hell.

Love the people who don't know about how Mac clones almost killed the company, but suggest they should repeat history.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Love the people who don't know about how Mac clones almost killed the company, but suggest they should repeat history.
I know. But they don't care. All they care is that they get to use the OS without having to buy the hardware. There's a reason the OS is free now. It's part of the machine. Apple makes its money from the hardware so the software can be free. But noooo. I want my PC OS X! Whaa! Whaa! Whaa! Gimmie gimmie gimmie! You owe me!

Noobie MacNoob Question incoming.
After one and a half years I feel like giving my MBPr a clean install.
However I have no idea where to start with this on a mac.

A few important boundary conditions:
  • Time Machine active
  • 2 user accounts
  • iTunes library on the internal hdd

Will system settings et al. be preserved? Is there a way to do so if not?
Are there other things I should consider prior to clean installing, is it really necessary or advisable?

Silentium

Noobie MacNoob Question incoming.
After one and a half years I feel like giving my MBPr a clean install.
However I have no idea where to start with this on a mac.

A few important boundary conditions:
  • Time Machine active
  • 2 user accounts
  • iTunes library on the internal hdd

Will system settings et al. be preserved? Is there a way to do so if not?
Are there other things I should consider prior to clean installing, is it really necessary or advisable?
Time Machine will preserve everything (as long as you haven't manually excluded certain items - you can check in the Time Machine preference pane). When you restore, you'll be given the choice of restoring everything or only certain aspects of the backup (i.e. specific user accounts, settings, files/directories, apps).

Even if Macs don't need to be reinstalled to function properly, I've always found reinstalling and not restoring from backup to be somewhat liberating. The process lets me 'reset' my computer and selectively bring across what I need/want. You don't realise how much cruft and random stuff accumulates over the years.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm very OCD about my drive so I am constantly cleaning caches and deleting unneeded files even though it doesn't matter.

If the cache folders get to a GB I can't stand it and throw it all in the trash and reboot. It doesn't need to be done, but since I'm on an SSD it doesn't really cause any problems. It's just a quirk.

If I download a program to try and don't like it, I'll delete it immediately and scour my drive for files it created just to wipe it from existence. (Though Hazel helps with that)

I'm constantly running file duplicate detectors to make sure unnecessary copies of files don't exist. (Like saving the same image or video more than once)

I'm completely bummed that my Windows 7 virtual machine takes up 20GB and can't be made smaller because of how bloated Windows is. (Is 8 any smaller? Man, I miss when XP took up 3GB.) I'm also so anal that I make sure to back it up every time it changes, which is every time I run it, even though I don't make any changes on the virtual disk image itself and have my Steam libraries in folders outside of it. That 20GB takes a while to backup across a network.

For the longest time I didn't want my iPhoto photos syncing to my iOS devices not because I have no space on them but because iPhoto creates an unnecessarily large cache for each device inside my Library folder and even though I can't see it myself, I know it's there and can't stand having it. (My kingdom for iPhoto iCloud Library syncing!) In order to work around this and make my iPhoto Library available to my iOS devices I did the sneaky thing of creating a symlink to the "Originals" folder on the backup clone copy of my drive connected to my Mac mini and put it in my DropBox so my entire iPhoto Library syncs to the cloud and any changes I make will just be reverted when my MacBook backs up again. (Ingenious idea if I do say so myself)

I'm constantly launching GrandPerspective to make sure there aren't any hidden large files I don't know about.

And I absolutely HATE applications that ignore the Library folder and put their data files in hidden folders in the root of my User folder. W.T.F.DEVELOPERS! This pisses me off more than it should. Because these files are hidden so you can't tell where space is going sometimes. And when trying to clean out old apps you can't find these folders nor does Hazel look for them. STOP DOING THAT DEVELOPERS! I have folders in there right now from apps I haven't used in years. I need to clean them out, even if they only take a few KB.

But I'm just OCD like that. lol

mrkgoo

I'm very OCD about my drive so I am constantly cleaning caches and deleting unneeded files even though it doesn't matter.

If the cache folders get to a GB I can't stand it and throw it all in the trash and reboot. It doesn't need to be done, but since I'm on an SSD it doesn't really cause any problems. It's just a quirk.

If I download a program to try and don't like it, I'll delete it immediately and scour my drive for files it created just to wipe it from existence. (Though Hazel helps with that)

I'm constantly running file duplicate detectors to make sure unnecessary copies of files don't exist. (Like saving the same image or video more than once)

I'm completely bummed that my Windows 7 virtual machine takes up 20GB and can't be made smaller because of how bloated Windows is. (Is 8 any smaller? Man, I miss when XP took up 3GB.) I'm also so anal that I make sure to back it up every time it changes, which is every time I run it, even though I don't make any changes on the virtual disk image itself and have my Steam libraries in folders outside of it. That 20GB takes a while to backup across a network.

For the longest time I didn't want my iPhoto photos syncing to my iOS devices not because I have no space on them but because iPhoto creates an unnecessarily large cache for each device inside my Library folder and even though I can't see it myself, I know it's there and can't stand having it. (My kingdom for iPhoto iCloud Library syncing!) In order to work around this and make my iPhoto Library available to my iOS devices I did the sneaky thing of creating a symlink to the "Originals" folder on the backup clone copy of my drive connected to my Mac mini and put it in my DropBox so my entire iPhoto Library syncs to the cloud and any changes I make will just be reverted when my MacBook backs up again. (Ingenious idea if I do say so myself)

I'm constantly launching GrandPerspective to make sure there aren't any hidden large files I don't know about.

And I absolutely HATE applications that ignore the Library folder and put their data files in hidden folders in the root of my User folder. W.T.F.DEVELOPERS! This pisses me off more than it should. Because these files are hidden so you can't tell where space is going sometimes. And when trying to clean out old apps you can't find these folders nor does Hazel look for them. STOP DOING THAT DEVELOPERS! I have folders in there right now from apps I haven't used in years. I need to clean them out, even if they only take a few KB.

But I'm just OCD like that. lol

I would otherwise be like that, but I have mostly learned to overcome it.

It's really a waste of time and energy to worry about stuff like that.

What if I told you that iPhoto stores a "master" copy of a photo and if you make any edits, a "working" copy that contains the edits so that you can always go back to the original?

Sounds great for a non-destructible workflow right?

But what if I told you it counts photos taken in portrait orientation with a portrait "flag" in the meta data counts as an "edit"?

Thus ALL portrait orientation photos will exist twice - once as a master and a second time as a portrait image in the "edited" area?

:p

(At least that's how it used to work for the longest time - I use aperture now which has it's own set of useless files)

Just leave the iPod photo cache be. I sync a selection of my favourite photos to my iPhone and yeah it has a cache. The cache presumably contains all the smaller thumbs and stuff used for the various views on the iPhone. Maybe.

You should really just stop worrying. I mean the iPhone itself probably has hundreds of useless cache files or duplicated files - and it's probably relaxing to know you can't do anything about any of it. Or is it?

kuppy

Oh, you've got to be kidding me, the Safari extension YouTube Options is now a subscription based app called SPOI.
Somebody else came to realize this and has an alternative for me? I specially liked that you could set a default resolution and customize the page the way you want (hide suggestions/comments, show complete description and what not).

Otherwise I'll look into this over the weekend and make an update on my progress.

Vashetti

Banned
Oh, you've got to be kidding me, the Safari extension YouTube Options is now a subscription based app called SPOI.
Somebody else came to realize this and has an alternative for me? I specially liked that you could set a default resolution and customize the page the way you want (hide suggestions/comments, show complete description and what not).

Otherwise I'll look into this over the weekend and make an update on my progress.

YouTube Center
YouTube Center (Developer Version - More up-to-date, etc.)

Works like a charm.

Top Bottom