• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

Gattsu25

Banned
Where does this line up gameplay wise?

Are we still playing wizardry 6 with new visuals, rejiggered classes/enemies, and a new "story" or is this game actually advancing the gameplay beyond the regressive state where many of te JPN Wiz games are at and including/improving the many gameplay enhancements present in the 10-year old Wizardry 8?

Good lord... Shiin B5F... Now that was humbling! I was cleaning up on the 4th floor so I decided to take on the 5th floor. I noticed that my team was straining a bit more here but it was nothing my Lord's Huge Shield couldn't handle. Then I met the
Ninja and Hayate. Damn! Basically they OHKO everyone in my party. XD I obviously still need some gear/levels.

It was so bad that my Bishop straight up got perma-death'd. Ressurection failed twice and he just vanished. Thankfully I saved not too long ago...

garath

Gattsu25 said:
Where does this line up gameplay wise?

Are we still playing wizardry 6 with new visuals, rejiggered classes/enemies, and a new "story" or is this game actually advancing the gameplay beyond the regressive state where many of te JPN Wiz games are at and including/improving the many gameplay enhancements present in the 10-year old Wizardry 8?

Wizardry 6? 8?

This is pretty much Wizardry 1 gameplay. It's fantastic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Picked it up last night, can't wait to dive in.

Question: Is there a way to create a samurai from the start?

garath

commish said:
Picked it up last night, can't wait to dive in.

Question: Is there a way to create a samurai from the start?

You can create any class from the start. They all have minimum stat requirements though. OP has them listed.

You'll need good bonus points though. A human ninja for example needs 40 points (or thereabouts).

Bought the full version this morning. Everything about this game just clicks with me. My party is currently all level 4, with the following:

Milzor - M Dwarf Lord
Taka - F Human Samurai
Falco - M Hobbit Porklu Thief
Liara - F Elf Mage
Wraith - M Elf Bishop
Dia - F Gnome Priest

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm only at BF2 in the dungeon of trials. My party:

Lvl 5 warrior-leader
lvl 4 samurai
lvl 3 Lord
lvl 4 thief (with newly aquired sling SWEET)
lvl 5 priest
lvl 5 Mage

I also have another lvl 3 warrior and lvl 3 bishop in reserve. I would imagine Bishop and Priest are pretty redundant I guess.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but if you go to your trophy list and look at the Wizardry trophies, they're all still in Japanese. Looks like XSeed forgot to translate them. :lol

My trophies are in English when I check them under Game in the XMB, but when I go to compare trophies with friends they are in Japanese.

yes, the trophy descriptions will be translated if you look at yours on your console. however, they will be in japanese when you compare them with somebody else or access your PSN account via a browser.

yeah I gave up trying to appraise the 280,000G item in my inventory since my Bishop just kept getting scared of it

it ended up being a Holy Armor. Schwing!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ZephyrFate said:
yeah I gave up trying to appraise the 280,000G item in my inventory since my Bishop just kept getting scared of it

it ended up being a Holy Armor. Schwing!

Man, shouldn't have given up. Took me 20-30 tries, but eventually my Bishop appraised the Holy Armor I found.

Perseverance!

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, shouldn't have given up. Took me 20-30 tries, but eventually my Bishop appraised the Holy Armor I found.

Perseverance!
I'm getting bucketloads of cash anyway by the fact that I keep finding White Robes and Black Robes that I don't even need, so... it's okay :)

also I tried appraising the thing for an hour. a goddamn hour. no thank you.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ZephyrFate said:
I'm getting bucketloads of cash anyway by the fact that I keep finding White Robes and Black Robes that I don't even need, so... it's okay :)

also I tried appraising the thing for an hour. a goddamn hour. no thank you.

Ah. See, I did it while I was grinding for Reagents, so I'd just appraise whenever my Bishop got over her Fear status. Now if I weren't grinding? Yeah, definitely would have just paid for it.

i had my first 47 roll on creation earlier. meet boris, the porklu ninja!

he started all decked out with
shuriken, ninja blade and the full body ninja armor - i think it's called ninja suit.

thanks

Augemitbutter said:
i had my first 47 roll on creation earlier. meet boris, the porklu ninja!

he started all decked out with
shuriken, ninja blade and the full body ninja armor - i think it's called ninja suit.

I also have a Porklu male Ninja named Boris!

As for Bishop and Priest being redundant? No way, in my opinion. Bishop gets a job skill later on that is so incredibly useful, and eventually learns all Mage spells, and all Priest spells. My party consists of;

Porklu M Ninja main
Dwarf M Samurai
Human M Fighter
Gnome F Priest
Elf M Mage
Gnome M Bishop

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really wanted to convert my priest to a bishop just because of the appraisal skill, but I can't give up the amazing spells and healing abilities I've gained at lv9 :(

cj_iwakura

You won't be giving them up. You just lose SP.

What you WILL lose is a fair amount of HP and your levels. And the amazing exorcism skill.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Exorcism is great when you're actually up against anything susceptible to it, but I wouldn't mind losing it. You keep all spells learned though?

has anybody found out the benefit of class changing books? i have a few lying around but i haven't changed any classes yet. i got a fighter, bishop and lord book. other than easier access to the special requirement classes, i can't think of anything.

So, I just started going through Shiin's Dungeon, and obviously it's layout is way different than the Dungeon of Trials.

The DoT has floors where every square can be mapped, while Shiin's Dungeon has whole sections that are inaccessible. My question is, how do you know then when you've mapped a whole floor of Shiin's Dungeon completely?

I know on the floors that I've complete mapped in the DoT that there's a little symbol that appears by the floor number on the map, but I'm not seeing that on the Shiin's Dungeon map, and I'm pretty sure that I've completely mapped the entire first floor. Should the symbol be appearing then too? (Meaning I've missed something.) Or do the inaccessible squares negate that?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Where can you find a map for the DLC floors? Using Arcane Map just isn't the same.

Edit: Just found one. They're dropped by
Incubi

Durante

Augemitbutter said:
properly named Wizadory.....Renaissance!
Which brings me to an important question about the game: How many different voice samples for Wizadory Rennaisansu are there?

cj_iwakura said:
You won't be giving them up. You just lose SP.

What you WILL lose is a fair amount of HP and your levels. And the amazing exorcism skill.
Class rerolling guarantees you get substantially better HP gains, though, and you can always Tithe that shit up.

Durante said:
Which brings me to an important question about the game: How many different voice samples for Wizadory Rennaisansu are there?

sounds like they asked their whole dev team to say that line. it's a different voice everytime i boot the game up.

Rolf NB

Is Lord a male-only class? I remember it being that way in some previous Wizardry games, but just want to make sure...
My higher-level ladies all have neutral or evil alignment, so I can't really check on my game.

Rolf NB said:
Is Lord a male-only class? I remember it being that way in some previous Wizardry games, but just want to make sure...
My higher-level ladies all have neutral or evil alignment, so I can't really check on my game.

I have a female Porklu Lord so no they are not.

so how rare is the armor drop from
gregor 2nd form? i got 2 sets of very good samurai armor without farming so far, trying to clean up the trophy of every main hero. or is this his common drop and he got something else as rare?

I have to say, Shiin B8F has some insane drops!

So far I got:
Odin Sword, 2 Master Plates, Healing Ring from a silver chest, 2 Shurikens, and a siiick Holy Mace for my Priest.
I'm just hunting
Hatamoto
trying to get his
Murasame
and he is very rare but the loot is making it worth it.

Rolf NB

So I've finished the main quest line for the first time yesterday and managed to tear myself away from the game for a bit.

I really am a sucker for Wizardry. Nostalgia pulls me, strongly. BOTCF was one of my first game purchases, and I've played that religiously, as I did with 7 and 8. I've checked out all the earlier games as well. I think the designs still work well. The classes are interesting. The spell system works. The enemies are cool.

But oh my god at this fucking, all-consuming randomization. If you don't get lucky with your drops, the game fucks you over totally. I got lucky exactly once, scored a Muramasa, and ever since then my samurai could OHKO everything. Bosses included. And of course, being a samurai, she could wipe out entire groups single-handedly with her class skill.

She hits for 6x+ as much damage as her closest contender. 2200 points or thereabouts. There's just no balance to it all. There should be.

And don't get me started on the character rerolling, and random loss of primary stats on level up. That shit needed to die 20 years ago.

sounds like you got pretty lucky/unlucky? with that drop of yours. my highest hit was 1200 with an odin's sword vs some lvl. 1 creature and i have been playing forever. i don't like unbalancing equipment myself, so i understand where you come from.

i don't mind the random stat gains since each race and class have unique growth rates attached to them. you'll get some good and some bad level gains but you can never fall below a certain minimum number to ensure you can't gimp your character. every character you roll will be different, so that's fine with me.

ronito

Seriously thinking about getting this. But sorta worried about it being non noob friendly. Should I be worried? Or is the learning curve acceptable?

Varna said:
So you don't make your guys? :(

Can you at least make your main character?
You do create your character(s), the only thing you can't change is their appearance. (But you have ten characters to choose from.)

The "mains" have default names, but you can change them. You also can choose their alignment, class and stats. And you can do this for all six members of your group, plus more if you want. (I have 20 characters created in my file.)

ronito said:
Seriously thinking about getting this. But sorta worried about it being non noob friendly. Should I be worried? Or is the learning curve acceptable?
This is my first Wizardry, and I'm having no major issues. There are a few rules to get accustom to, but once you get the basics down it should be no big adjustment for RPG gamers.

I'd recommend reading a bit about the different game play mechanics first, but it's really not that intimidating once you get into it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so how hard are the DLC floors in Trials? Because right now, Trials B5F is too easy, and Shiin B5F is too hard. =/

Seriously, I'm around Lv. 20 and Shiin B5F is murdering me. Goddamn random Hayates. Every time one pops up, if I don't run away it's a full party wipe. :(

Varna

Gunloc said:
You do create your character(s), the only thing you can't change is their appearance. (But you have ten characters to choose from.)

The "mains" have default names, but you can change them. You also can choose their alignment, class and stats.

Ah. Not bad. Is the story pretty minimal?

Varna said:
Ah. Not bad. Is the story pretty minimal?
Yeah, the dungeon crawling is the main aspect, but there are ten campaigns to play through, plus multiple endings. And there's an extra DLC campaign that was released in Japan that I'd imagine we'll get eventually.

The character and monster designs are really excellent IMO though.

ronito said:

i think it's noob friendly. there is no tutorial but with some basic rpg knowledge you'll get through. there is some info in the OP for character creation tips etc.

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, so how hard are the DLC floors in Trials? Because right now, Trials B5F is too easy, and Shiin B5F is too hard. =/

Seriously, I'm around Lv. 20 and Shiin B5F is murdering me. Goddamn random Hayates. Every time one pops up, if I don't run away it's a full party wipe. :(

do you have a bishop? magic wall will block some of their attacks. enough for you to counterattack and wipe the floor with them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Augemitbutter said:
do you have a bishop? magic wall will block some of their attacks. enough for you to counterattack and wipe the floor with them.

I've got a Bishop, but Magic Wall only seems to withstand one of their attacks. Next one destroys me.

I'll give it another shot though. I really need to grind for equipment. Mine's decent but it could be a LOT better.

Seraphis Cain said:
I've got a Bishop, but Magic Wall only seems to withstand one of their attacks. Next one destroys me.

I'll give it another shot though. I really need to grind for equipment. Mine's decent but it could be a LOT better.

do you have advanced reflex on? it helps with dodging. i thought shiin 5 was pretty cool, you just have to rethink your strategy.

cj_iwakura

The snippets of story in this game are minimal, but great for mood. Very similar to Tale of the Forsaken Land.

Not as heart-wrenching, but good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Augemitbutter said:
do you have advanced reflex on? it helps with dodging. i thought shiin 5 was pretty cool, you just have to rethink your strategy.

Oh right, Advanced Reflex doesn't wear off, does it? I'll have to start casting that when I enter Shiin B5F.

What I really need to do is find some better armor for my Mage. As long as my Mage is around I can Emergency Exit if need be. But if he drops, usually the rest of my party follows because I can't get the hell out fast enough.

Top Bottom