• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

thanks

My thief is useless in the back row, but the front row is packed with two fighters and a ninja. Can I just get a ranged weapon for the thief to be useful, or do I have to trade places with the ninja?

Actually, just realized that Ninja also has "Thief skills", so I guess a thief and a ninja is useless anyway.

thanks said:
My thief is useless in the back row, but the front row is packed with two fighters and a ninja. Can I just get a ranged weapon for the thief to be useful, or do I have to trade places with the ninja?

Actually, just realized that Ninja also has "Thief skills", so I guess a thief and a ninja is useless anyway.

Ninja is a "upgraded thief", and you won't need 2 thieves in the same party, so...

cj_iwakura

Remember, there IS a sequel to this game, if it does well enough.

wiz1.jpg

wiz2.jpg

wiz3.jpg

wiz4.jpg

The character designs in Town of Forsaken Spirits is much nicer, too.

So hopefully this happens next.

Hex

Banned

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
DangerousDave said:
I don't think that you'll be able to have a Ninja and a Samurai in the same group

Actually, there is a way to have a party composed of ANY classes of any alignments.

You can make more than one "main character" from the title screen when you use the continue option (don't do new game); make the character you want + any more that can't get into your party due to their alignment, take them into the dungeon and save the game. Then go back to title screen, continue and pick your first main character/party, go into the dungeon and use the search for friends option. It will allow the ones you left in the dungeon to join your party. Worked to get my ninja in. Not sure if it affects anything negatively yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My first impressions, after putting about 40 hours into Class of Heroes, is that this isn't nearly as difficult right off the bat. I'm not sure how gimmicky the dungeon layouts are compared to CoH, but at least they're not perfectly symmetrical. It's good stuff so far, but anyone expecting Etrian Odyssey from this might want to play the demo for a bit first.

thanks

Here's a simple tip; don't forget to always carry antidotes! It was almost a very very costly oversight on my part.

tengiants

I went ahead and bought this right away even though I don't have any experience with Wizardry because of the reputation and normally I'm a fan of dungeon crawls, but I'm not sure this is for me. I'm going to take a break for a bit.

I walked away from a helpless enemy and my main character alignment switched to good. I died later on in the dungeon thanks to a poison trap and now I don't have access to my evil characters. I've been wandering the dungeon for a few hours just trying to kill a helpless enemies to lower my alignment on my main but when I eventually find one it lowers the alignment on everyone but the main character. This is seeming like it's going to take hours just to fix my alignment, or I can reroll for another few hours for a +20 bonus. Is there any easier way to switch alignments on my main so I can get my evil character back (which happens to have my best bonus roll of +47 which took forever)?

Also, is there music later in the dungeons? Or does the fighting music ever change? Not sure if I can grind for hundreds of hours on this if this is all it's going to be.

dwOOT.jpg

3388A.jpg

Exploiting the bonus system feels like cheating, but I figured this game was hard enough without having crappy character stats.

A couple of useful tips for other beginners.
  • A (gnome?) bishop with the appraisal skill will save you thousands of gold coins almost immediately.
  • Dual wielding is not only awesome, it's also quite effective. Put all those spare daggers to good use!

What causes characters to change alignment? I would prefer staying good if possible.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Durante said:
I think all of you are having fun at my expense and it's not actually possible to get more than 20 bonus points.
Been playing Wizardry games for years, and crazy-awesome bonus rolls have almost always been there.

Wag

I can still remember the days with me and my friend hunched over our Apple ][s playing Wizardry for hours. I think this will be my next game after Witcher 2.

Is this playable on a BT keyboard?

Oh, shit. I have a lot of games to play, but I don't think I'll be able to wait a single day to get a US PSN card and buy this.

Maybe if I had a release date for EU, I should be able to wait, but without knowing if the game is coming next week or in three months, I can't.

thanks

archnemesis said:
A couple of useful tips for other beginners.
  • A gnome with the appraisal skill will save you thousands of gold coins almost immediately.
  • Dual wielding is not only awesome, it's also quite effective.

What causes characters to change alignment? I would prefer staying good if possible.

I have a gnome priest in my party, but no appraisal skill. Is it a job skill?

thanks said:
I have a gnome priest in my party, but no appraisal skill. Is it a job skill?
My gnome is a bishop. Maybe it's tied to the character class instead. Can anyone who has a bishop in their party check if it's race independent?

TEJ

I noticed that this game was made by Acquire, makers of "class of heroes". I hated Class of Heroes. However, I loved Etrian Odyssey 1-3.

Is it worth it for me to purchase the game even though I hated CoH?

TEJ said:
I noticed that this game was made by Acquire, makers of "class of heroes". I hated Class of Heroes. However, I loved Etrian Odyssey 1-3.

Is it worth it for me to purchase the game even though I hated CoH?

Try the demo.

cj_iwakura

Brandon F said:
How does this new Wizardry compare to this classic:

59510-large.jpg

So far? Way more traditional. I expect this to have a minimalist plot. It's there, but not thorough or well developed like TotFL's.

archnemesis said:
My gnome is a bishop. Maybe it's tied to the character class instead. Can anyone who has a bishop in their party check if it's race independent?

i have a dwarf bishop and noticed the skill right away in the status menu. however, i have no fucking clue how to appraise items. tell me please.

Augemitbutter said:
i have a dwarf bishop and noticed the skill right away in the status menu. however, i have no fucking clue how to appraise items. tell me please.
Select an ??item from the inventory and pick appraise from the pop-up menu.

thanks

Okay, been playing around with a bishop added to my party. I now have a ninja leader, two fighters, priest, mage, and bishop. Seeker ring on ninja lead + bishop = profit! The luck on my ninja is 20 so it seems enemies are dropping tons of items and treasure chests.

Yuterald

disappeared said:
47 bonus on a roll!

Time to power level.

What the fuck with these crazy bonus rolls!? I spent a good portion of my afternoon doing this and could only get a character with a bonus of 30! I'll settle with that for now, lol!

Lots of good info in this thread! I'm already kicking myself a bit because I unequipped every starting guild member and deleted them so I could have custom-made characters only and I sold off all their old stuff. Gotta get into this dual wielding.

Also, besides using a Bishop to appraise, just how good are they end game/battle wise? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bishops can never reach LV8 Mage & Priest spells? They have a balance of the two, but can never obtain the high level shit, right? Wasn't this the case in the PS2 Tale of the Forsaken Land? Wouldn't you be better off having a primary Elf Mage and a Gnome Priest?

disappeared said:
Can you change the Party Leader? The guy I picked at the beginning had a shittier roll than the guy I made in the Guild.
No, I don't believe you can. He's supposed to be the story character.

Yuterald

disappeared said:
Can you change the Party Leader? The guy I picked at the beginning had a shittier roll than the guy I made in the Guild.

I think the Party Leader is set when you start a new character from the class select screen. If you are unhappy with that character I'd say remove all his gear, deposit items to the wearhouse, and delete him. All your other custom made guild members will stay just as they were if you start a new character from the class select screen.

It seems like guild members are shared between new party leaders. A lot of stuff is saved to the system file so when you start a new character your map progress, guild members, bestiary, and item collection carry over.

archnemesis said:
No, I don't believe you can. He's supposed to be the story character.

Fuck. :(

Yuterald said:
I think the Party Leader is set when you start a new character from the class select screen. If you are unhappy with that character I'd say remove all his gear, deposit items to the wearhouse, and delete him. All your other custom made guild members will stay just as they were if you start a new character from the class select screen.

It seems like guild members are shared between new party leaders. A lot of stuff is saved to the system file so when you start a new character your map progress, guild members, bestiary, and item collection carry over.

Nice, okay figured it out.

tengiants

I'm trying really hard to like this game but one wrong choice with this alignment system can fuck you over for hours and hours apparently. At least it is me. I had a party of primarily goods and my best party member neutral. My main ended up good and my best party member bad somehow and I am having a bitch of a time getting the alignment back to a place where I can have my party back together again. Any tips on changing alignment quickly would be appreciated because the "good" monsters you use to change your alignment with are apparently very rare.

I though Bishop should learn priest spells, and in level 1 he can do only mage spells. And Lord don't have any healing spell at level 1. It seems that I'll need a priest...

Went over two 47s and a 40 building my party. So mindless.

Think I'm pretty set for now though. Wandered around most of the first floor and finished the first few quests.

Mr_Elysia

Okay so...if you run across signage stating for novice adventurers to stay away...you're going to want to do so. Spoiler of what happened to me when I disregarded le baton.
Level twelve Banshee annihilated my level five party and took away levels with her physical attack. Levels that seem to be permanently gone.

Decado

Gameplay impressions? Loved Wizardry 8 (except for a few key "flaws"), but I have my doubts about a Japanese take (haven't liked them before).

GrayFoxPL

Always was interested in Wizardry, but never dared to play it, as it seemed to me you got to spent 8 years to learn
the basics

Am I wrong?

GrayFoxPL said:
Always was interested in Wizardry, but never dared to play it, as it seemed to me you got to spent 8 years to learn
the basics

Am I wrong?

most of it is self-explanatory. you should do fine with some basic rpg knowledge and just ask around here if you get in trouble.

Top Bottom