• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

Mr_Elysia

Perhaps it's just me but the itemization in this game seems fairly subdued. I've had a dirty dagger and a dagger and that accounts for forty three percent of all the daggers in the game? My sling makes up thirty three percent of the game's distance weapons? I mean I understand it's not exactly a loot game but yes it is.

What the fuck, my bishop tried to appraise two items, failed both times, and now he's in "Fear" status.

Don't be so hard on yourself, buddy. :(

disappeared said:
What the fuck, my bishop tried to appraise two items, failed both times, and now he's in "Fear" status.

Yeah they get disheartened easily. Seems to go away quickly in dungeons though. Fight a battle and he'll get over it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there anything that actually... *explains* anything about this game?

I futzed around with the demo and was just left with questions
What are the real differences between the classes
What do the different stats do
How do you have someone in your back row actually attack ever
Are a lot of the areas on the first floor just empty purposefully or was I missing something
What is with the weird gold system of separating/pooling my money. Why would I ever not want to pool my money.
What is the purpose of torches. The game told me to buy some but they didn't seem to actually do anything.
When leveling one of my characters learned a new skill but didn't tell me what it was and I saw no way to use skills.
The first quest is about getting 3 kobold daggers but after killing 50 of the things I only had 1 dagger. Is the game really, really grindy?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
If the answer to the obtuseness of the mechanics is 'welcome to wizardry' then this is not a game for me. Oh well.

slayn said:
Is there anything that actually... *explains* anything about this game?

I futzed around with the demo and was just left with questions
What are the real differences between the classes
What do the different stats do
How do you have someone in your back row actually attack ever
Are a lot of the areas on the first floor just empty purposefully or was I missing something
What is with the weird gold system of separating/pooling my money. Why would I ever not want to pool my money.
What is the purpose of torches. The game told me to buy some but they didn't seem to actually do anything.
When leveling one of my characters learned a new skill but didn't tell me what it was and I saw no way to use skills.
The first quest is about getting 3 kobold daggers but after killing 50 of the things I only had 1 dagger. Is the game really, really grindy?

The differences between classes are their skillsets. If you mean the races themselves, then it's just their base stats. In the end it boils down to how they level a BIT (at least it did in past games).

The stats affect effectiveness of spells, attacks, dodging, landing an attack, drops, etc.

Back rows have to have a Long or medium range weapon. Basically think of it as lines in battle:
Enemy
Enemy
Enemy
Party
Party
S range gives you only one line of attack, Medium gives you two and Long gives you three. I was lucky enough to have a Sling drop from a monster on the first floor, so my Bishop gets to join in the fun, too.

Blank areas are totally dark and you're supposed to walk through them blind.

The gold system is weird when your're used to having parties in other RPGs sharing money, but it ends up being useful if you want to carry some cash to another party, but not ALL of your cash.

Torches light the dungeon but go out if you enter a black area. There's a Priest spell called Torch Light that does the same thing.

The skills aren't always used in battle. Sometimes it's a skill innate to the class like Appraisal or Exorcism.

Just kinda sucks, I guess. I spent maybe 30 minutes in the dungeon randomly walking around and eventually got the 3 daggers I needed. It helps to have decent Luck stats so enemies drop loot more often. I get items from nearly every battle.

Just try to stick with it. If you get into it you'll REALLY get into it. It's very satisfying to build a team to just rampage strong enemies or mop up large groups of enemies quickly and easily.

Kicking a tiny bit of ass right now.
I'm getting close to hitting the demo level cap so at the moment I'm just getting whatever kit I can get my hands on.

Here's my party

Jenna - Human Samurai
Radian - Human Fighter
Espra - Dwarven Lord
Wangu - Platka(whatever) Thief
Dpachi - Gnome Priest
Vanqui - Elven Mage

All females, names are based off of shooters.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Brandon F said:
How does this new Wizardry compare to this classic:

From my experience so far: that, most of the other Wizardry entries and the Etrian Odysseys (by a huge margin) have it beat. It's not even close.

Barely any special encounters, riddles, events, secrets...anything. Unless you count secret doors that don't lead to anything, or right back to where you just were. 95% empty space/rooms of...nothing. Floor design sucks, empty space just to fill in the grid. Yeah. I'm a Wizardry fan but it's gonna have to get more interesting than the first few floors otherwise things are looking quite bleak. Can't speak for the entire game yet but based on the start it's possibly a mediocre entry in the series.

What are the restrictions on who you can have in your party? For some reason I can't have two fighters and a ninja in my front row, why?

TEJ

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is this like a mature Etrian Odyssey?

Looks cool.

*cries a little*

Wizardry as a franchise started the first person turn based create your own party dungeon crawling videogames. The first one came out on the Apple II, back in 1981. The Canadian company that made it went out of buisness a decade ago.

xelios

Simon Belmont said:
What are the restrictions on who you can have in your party? For some reason I can't have two fighters and a ninja in my front row, why?

Alignment. Only Good and Neutral can be together.
Only Neutral and Evil can be together.
There is a way around it I posted earlier in the thread.

xelios said:
Alignment. Only Good and Neutral can be together.
Only Neutral and Evil can be together.
There is a way around it I posted earlier in the thread.

Oh Hell. It would have been nice for them to explain that.

tengiants

Simon Belmont said:
Oh Hell. It would have been nice for them to explain that.

I spent a better part of the day today playing this game. A better part of the time of that was playing with the alignment of my main by many random encounters with "good" enemies to recover two important characters from evil. Granted those characters fell into evil by my own experimentations but a manual or SOME info would have been helpful as a noob to the series.

Now that I got it all figured out I'm liking the game more and messing around in the mid sections of the first two dungeons. Kinda seems easy now though as I have tons of extra gold and I haven't wiped since
that random tough enemy on 1f in the trial dungeon.

tengiants said:
Now that I got it all figured out I'm liking the game more and messing around in the mid sections of the first two dungeons. Kinda seems easy now though as I have tons of extra gold and I haven't wiped since
that random tough enemy on 1f in the trial dungeon.
Fricking LVL 12 Banshee
, but in fairness they did warn you like twice.

Level 7 and going strong! :D

M - Human Fighter, "Pres"
M - Dwarf Fighter, "Alex"
M - Human Fighter, "Dean"
F - Elf Priest, "Kass"
M - Porklu Thief, "Seta"
F - Gnome Mage, "Harle"

aaaannnd... trailing behind at Level 3 is my lowly Bishop, good ole' Eddie. I just bring him out of retirement every so often to appraise shit lol.

This game has got its claws in me, big time. Wow.

Oh, and
that ghost you meet
in Shiien's Temple creeped me the fuck out.

TEJ said:
*cries a little*

Wizardry as a franchise started the first person turn based create your own party dungeon crawling videogames. The first one came out on the Apple II, back in 1981. The Canadian company that made it went out of buisness a decade ago.

Wait, wait, wait...

some fellow Canadians made Wizardry!?

:D

Decado

disappeared said:
Wait, wait, wait...

some fellow Canadians made Wizardry!?

:D
Yes, Sir-Tech. The same company that made Jagged Alliance. One of the best developers of their time (best time for hardcore games).

archnemesis said:
  1. Buy a map for 5 gold from the item shop.
  2. Press the square button in the dungeon.
  3. ???
  4. Profit.
Why wouldn't the Select >>> "Use" function work? Or the map to autoshow once you buy it and enter the dungeon? NO TUTORIAL WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Teknoman

Im gonna take a wild guess and say that Int = magic attack and Pie (Piety) = magic defense/healing? Also, can you change classes eventually? Because I want my female dwarf to be a samurai.

EDarkness

Decado said:
Yes, Sir-Tech. The same company that made Jagged Alliance. One of the best developers of their time (best time for hardcore games).

It's a shame that those guys are no longer around.

Anyway, I'll be picking this up this weekend. My roommate downloaded the demo yesterday and I think it's a little too hardcore for him. Looks fun, though.

Teknoman said:
Im gonna take a wild guess and say that Int = magic attack and Pie (Piety) = magic defense/healing? Also, can you change classes eventually? Because I want my female dwarf to be a samurai.
There is a change class option in the guild. I've only tried it for the pre-made characters, but it seems to be working.

disappeared said:

i've burst out laughing when i saw this the first time.

bryehn

This is pretty hardcore, really could have used a manual or tutorial lol.

I started with a male gnome (mage), is there any way to simply move your main to the back row?

lljride

Is there a max # of characters you can make in the guild? With all the alignment talk I'm worried I'll screw something up, but I guess that'll be alleviated somewhat if I can make a large stock of good/evil/neutrals just in case. I know it'll be hard to keep everyone leveled, just not sure if it's a feasible option at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Brandon F said:
How does this new Wizardry compare to this classic:

59510-large.jpg

Are you implying that that is the classic? Hah!

xelios

lljride said:
Is there a max # of characters you can make in the guild? With all the alignment talk I'm worried I'll screw something up, but I guess that'll be alleviated somewhat if I can make a large stock of good/evil/neutrals just in case. I know it'll be hard to keep everyone leveled, just not sure if it's a feasible option at all.

I'm pretty sure you can make more than you ever need.

Augemitbutter said:
some people have complained about dirty dagger drops, right? i've played three hours and have not seen a single one :)
Are you appraising the unidentified items? I got about ten dirty daggers within the first hour or so. I have a thief with 20 LUC in my party. Maybe luck is more important than usual.

d1rtn4p

Man, call me well past my time, but when did Wizardry pick up such an Eastern influence? In the original, you could see the dirt on your party, the yellow of their teeth, even with it's CGA graphics. This game looks like your party is about ready to hit a dance club...

Visuals aside, does the core gameplay stay true?

xelios

There is also a quest requiring 3x Dirty Dagger at the very beginning (in the guild).

archnemesis said:
Are you appraising the unidentified items? I got about ten dirty daggers within the first hour or so. I have a thief with 20 LUC in my party. Maybe luck is more important than usual.

yes and no luck so far.

xelios

d1rtn4p said:
This game looks like your party is about ready to hit a dance club...

Visuals aside, does the core gameplay stay true?

I laffed. And yeah, the gameplay is pretty much the same. The dungeons are not as interesting to me so far, however.

Augemitbutter said:
yes and no luck so far.
Maybe you should try adding a thief or a ninja to your party then. My party members are only level 3, but so far I've found 3 Seeker Rings, a Short Sword, a Hat+4, a Dagger+1, two boring old regular Daggers, a Staff, two new maps, maybe 10 or so Dirty Daggers and a bunch of vials for another quest.

Here's my party

Hum F Warrior - Alora
Dwa F Warrior - Lorin
Hum F Samurai - Ashe
Por F Thief - Aya
Elf M Mage - Erdrik
Gno M Bishop - Cyrus

I am loving the game so far. While not as in depth as some of the past Wizardry games, it still keeps a good amount of true Wizardry in it. And thank you, GAF, for telling me to make a bishop. Appraisal is absolutely pointless without him.

scy

Finally got a chance to fire this up this morning for a bit before work. Was hoping to get character creation out of the way. An hour later, one 47 roll. Goddamn, son.

Thinking:
Front:
Lord
Samurai
Ninja

Back:
Priest
Mage
Bishop

Though, debating just swapping the Ninja out for a Thief, if only for it being less effort to get into the group. Unsure how to get the Thief -> Ninja and back into the group later though so maybe I'll just deal with it at the start.

You can't have characters with good and evil alignment in the same party. Unfortunately that means you can't use both a lord and a ninja. I'm using the same lineup as the one you're planning, but with a thief.

scy

archnemesis said:
You can't have characters with good and evil alignment in the same party. Unfortunately that means you can't use both a lord and a ninja. I'm using the same lineup as the one you're planning, but with a thief.

My understanding is there's ways around that from the start and you can just convert alignment on an Evil Ninja to Neutral/Good. Thief -> Ninja later seems like a pain unless I work on shifting everyone to Neutral from the start (*shake fist* damn Good Lords).

Top Bottom