• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

scy said:
My understanding is there's ways around that from the start and you can just convert alignment on an Evil Ninja to Neutral/Good. Thief -> Ninja later seems like a pain unless I work on shifting everyone to Neutral from the start (*shake fist* damn Good Lords).
Oh, that's probably right. I didn't think of that. Now I'm kind of tempted to make a ninja myself.

thanks

There is almost nothing more annoying than stepping on a trap deep into a dungeon and having one of your characters die. Even with levitation on this just happened to me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
d1rtn4p said:
Man, call me well past my time, but when did Wizardry pick up such an Eastern influence? In the original, you could see the dirt on your party, the yellow of their teeth, even with it's CGA graphics. This game looks like your party is about ready to hit a dance club...

Made by Japanese devs rather than the now gone Sir Tech

archnemesis said:
Maybe you should try adding a thief or a ninja to your party then. My party members are only level 3, but so far I've found 3 Seeker Rings, a Short Sword, a Hat+4, a Dagger+1, two boring old regular Daggers, a Staff, two new maps, maybe 10 or so Dirty Daggers and a bunch of vials for another quest.

i had a thief in my party since the beginning. gonna give this a try later again. i think i'm just having very bad luck, that's all.

Ledsen

d1rtn4p said:
Man, call me well past my time, but when did Wizardry pick up such an Eastern influence? In the original, you could see the dirt on your party, the yellow of their teeth, even with it's CGA graphics. This game looks like your party is about ready to hit a dance club...

Visuals aside, does the core gameplay stay true?

Wizardry has been a primarily Japanese series for a long while, they've made dozens of the things.

Ledsen said:
Wizardry has been a primarily Japanese series for a long while, they've made dozens of the things.
True. Unfortunately, most of them have not seen a Western release. Hopefully this one does well so that can change.

Rolf NB

So what's the scope of this thing? 15$ seems a bit on the steep side.

I take it the dungeon is set (i.e. not randomly generated). How deep is it?

thanks

Rolf NB said:

$15 isn't so steep considering this is the size of a retail game. There are two dungeons. One of them is 4 floors I think? The other seems to be at least 7. Considering how long it takes just to map a single floor, which the amount of time seems to go up exponentially, then this game is highly undervalued. Try out the demo. I was able to get about four hours out of it before I purchased.

tengiants said:
I spent a better part of the day today playing this game. A better part of the time of that was playing with the alignment of my main by many random encounters with "good" enemies to recover two important characters from evil. Granted those characters fell into evil by my own experimentations but a manual or SOME info would have been helpful as a noob to the series.

Whoa, your party members can switch alignment?

sleepykyo

scy said:
Finally got a chance to fire this up this morning for a bit before work. Was hoping to get character creation out of the way. An hour later, one 47 roll. Goddamn, son.

Thinking:
Front:
Lord
Samurai
Ninja

Back:
Priest
Mage
Bishop

Though, debating just swapping the Ninja out for a Thief, if only for it being less effort to get into the group. Unsure how to get the Thief -> Ninja and back into the group later though so maybe I'll just deal with it at the start.

I give up at a 20 bonus. Kind of regret that now as my Lord keeps losing piety everytime she levels ups. Does anyone know about what effects the stats when leveling? It seems like everyone gains very little and loses points from what seems like a primary stat.

thanks

sleepykyo said:
I give up at a 20 bonus. Kind of regret that now as my Lord keeps losing piety everytime she levels ups. Does anyone know about what effects the stats when leveling? It seems like everyone gains very little and loses points from what seems like a primary stat.

Seems random to me, but I can't confirm 100%.

Augemitbutter said:
some people have complained about dirty dagger drops, right? i've played three hours and have not seen a single one :)

I had two after four hours. Then I got the third, and going to the exit, i got a fourth one, with a single random encounter.

BTW, the "some doors are not meant to be opened" thing. Motherfuckers...

Rolf NB said:

this game has a platinum trophy. it's pretty much a full retail game.

DangerousDave said:
I had two after four hours. Then I got the third, and going to the exit, i got a fourth one, with a single random encounter.

good to know my game isn't bugged ;)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
sleepykyo said:

Level ups are random. When close to leveling I go to the temple and tithe to level up (1:1 gold: exp ratio) so I can save before and reload if it's a sucky level up. No +1 hp and losing primary stats for me. Can do the same by just reloading and fighting in the dungeon but it's more irritating, so I only did that the first few levels.

Rolf NB

Thanks guys. Can't try the demo out until tomorrow, but I really do love a)Wizardry (6,7, 8 especially), and b)dungeon crawling Etrian Odyssey-style. That's why I'm more than a bit excited and have to ask these dumb questions to tide me over!

cj_iwakura

Has anyone determined the meaning of colors in the equipment screens?

Red, Blue, Violet? Some equipment has Good highlighted in Red as well as monsters. I assume it means weakness/incompatibility?

For anyone curious about Alignment changes in battles, I think I may have perhaps found one of the causes (assuming there are several potential reasons)...

At one point, I ran into a battle where it said, "The enemies are watching you curiously." I had to the option to Fight, Watch, or Leave. I chose to fight, and the very first message that popped up was that one of my Good characters had changed to Neutral. I thought about it, and it kind of makes sense. If you're a Good character (let's go by D&D logic here for a second) you wouldn't necessarily attack a non-hostile creature, would you?

So when it comes to battles where the enemy doesn't strike first ("Watching you") think twice about attacking if you're in "Good" alignment status.

Jay Sosa

disappeared said:
What the fuck, my bishop tried to appraise two items, failed both times, and now he's in "Fear" status.

Don't be so hard on yourself, buddy. :(

Rofl.. is he scared you'll fire him?

xelios said:
Level ups are random. When close to leveling I go to the temple and tithe to level up (1:1 gold: exp ratio) so I can save before and reload if it's a sucky level up. No +1 hp and losing primary stats for me. Can do the same by just reloading and fighting in the dungeon but it's more irritating, so I only did that the first few levels.

I'll have to remember this for all future levelups.

jorgeton

disappeared said:
So when it comes to battles where the enemy doesn't strike first ("Watching you") think twice about attacking if you're in "Good" alignment status.

Same thing happened to me. I attacked a crew of monsters who were watching me, and my human fighter turned evil!

Weird thing is, my main character is "good," but the evil fighter hasn't left my party.

garath

Anyone lose a class because of alignment issues? i.e. a ninja turned into a fighter because he went from evil to neutral.

Rerolling levelups is such a pain because I find myself heading back to the dungeon entrance whenever I have less than 500 exp needed to levelup.

Still it's worthwhile at times. Just got a nice levelup for my Dwarven Lord that included a bunch of stat boosts and +29 hitpoints.

Yeah I tried custom soundtracks yesterday. Was kind of bummed given how this game isn't exactly heavy on system resources. :/ Maybe if we email Xseed?

i'm usually not a custom soundtrack guy, but this game lacks kick-ass dungeon themes. the music outside of dungeons and in event scenes is decent.

cj_iwakura

I don't think it's possible if the developers don't allow it. The dungeon sound effects are ambient enough, it's not that bad.

You can always play some dungeon BGM from the computer. :p Use Etrian Odyssey or(better yet) Tale of the Forsaken Land's OST.

Dark Spire's would also be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSVT-VcHMc

That is one of my favorite dungeon themes of all time.

Okay, Level 4 posse going after the 1F
Banshee
!

This will surely end well!

cj_iwakura

Updated OP with some hints.

Stuff that could still be clarified:

-Class changes. Not sure how that works, if at all.
Doing it to a preexisting party member will cost you a LOT, I know that.

-The meanings of stats.

thanks

I'm actually starting to dig the complete lack of a guide or walkthrough for this game. It makes it really exciting to figure this stuff out with the rest of you guys on this thread. Reminds me of playing games as a kid and sharing tips with your friends before the internet was huge.

scy

cj_iwakura said:
Stuff that could still be clarified:

-The meanings of stats.

Not 100% certain on the following:

STR - Damage and Accuracy of physical attacks.
INT - Chance for Mage spells to work and affects their potency.
PIE - Chance for Priest spells to work and affects their potency.
VIT - HP and I believe Wish success rate.
AGI - Turn order, chance of disarming traps, and evasion. May have an impact on sub-weapon damage but doubtful.
LUC - Status effects, trap disarming, and possibly does something with all the stats but not sure (Wizardry LUC has always had a little blurb on it impacting the other stat formulas).

No idea how much each of them is worth in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I'll do some playtesting to try to figure it out but after doing that for EO1-EO3, I've gotten lazy =/ We'll see.

thanks said:
I'm actually starting to dig the complete lack of a guide or walkthrough for this game. It makes it really exciting to figure this stuff out with the rest of you guys on this thread. Reminds me of playing games as a kid and sharing tips with your friends before the internet was huge.

Indeed. I've kept up-to-date with this thread with every new post. It's a nice little community to play along with. :)

cj_iwakura

My Human is getting nickel and dime HP increases, but my Dwarves are skyrocketing.

Gemini's at 32, Bryant's at 74(!), and Violet has 47.

Magnus

Looking at the OP, the dwarves and gnomes in this game are so pretty compared to what you see in every other game, hahaha.

cj_iwakura said:
My Human is getting nickel and dime HP increases, but my Dwarves are skyrocketing.

You may want to start rerolling your HP gains.
I think most of the stats will cap in accordance to race(I think I have VIT and something else maxed on one of my humans, and they're level 4) so shoot for big HP gains as much as possible.

Still waiting on one of my contacts to get back to me about a possible review...not looking too good. Money isn't the issue but lately I've been purchasing games only to receive review codes for them later that day. *shrug*

cj_iwakura

To anyone who's only been in the Trial dungeon, you might want to check out Shiin's.

The enemies there are about the same, and... something interesting happens.

i wish there was more artwork in the game to match your race/class choices. anybody know if they gave you more options in the next game?

sleepykyo

Augemitbutter said:
i wish there was more artwork in the game to match your race/class choices. anybody know if they gave you more options in the next game?

The female human and the female human mc are the same female except for the hair color and eye patch. So I agree.

cj_iwakura said:

My main Human Fighter's been getting lucky. 133HP at level 8 and my Dwarf Fighter's at 130 at level 8. Alternatively, my other Human Fighter's been getting shit HP rolls... 85 at level 8 lol.

Also I got a nice rare drop of gauntlets called Mystic Mitts, worth 27,000 gold. Shiin's dungeon, first floor.

Oh, and the Guild guy offers some ridiculously stupid good trades. A robe (120G) for a Hardy Ring (8500G) hahaha.

Check his shit regularly.

Yuterald

Ugh, not really into random stat gains in games even though that is in the nature of the game. Oh well.

One other cool thing I noticed is that when you completely map out a floor you get a little map icon with a star above it on your map screen most likely indicating 100% map coverage.

I'm still pretty early in the game, but I'm still digging it.

thanks

disappeared said:
Oh, and the Guild guy offers some ridiculously stupid good trades. A robe (120G) for a Hardy Ring (8500G) hahaha.

Check his shit regularly.

I'll second that. It doesn't even make sense, lol.

Is the x(number) multiplier next to a weapons ATK stat its critical multiplier? Or is it number of potential attacks?

Bastard Sword has less ATK than the Long Sword but double the critical damage (or attacks), apparently.

thanks

disappeared said:
Level 12 Banshee ain't got shit on me.

Nice! This post inspired me to try beating it again, and I just owned it!

I like the scream it gave as it died, muwahahaha.

cj_iwakura

Gunloc said:
I don't think there are mutliple choices per race/class (ala Etrian Odyssey), but there are more races to choose from.

You can check them out on the Japanese web site:
http://wizardry.acquire.co.jp/index.html

Since they're focused on the sequel(Town of Forsaken Spirits), you can also see how great the new art for the cast is. Totally different generics.

And now there's nekomata, apparently.

Top Bottom