• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

More questions for Wizardry veterans:

Is it worth having both a Priest and a Bishop is the same party?

And is a Thief necessary?

bunbun777

So I figured out the mage can make an astral map which is great since I have not received any maps for the trials dungeons past floor 2.

-edit- i found the teleporter =P

Gunloc said:
More questions for Wizardry veterans:

Is it worth having both a Priest and a Bishop is the same party?

And is a Thief necessary?

Not a Wizardry vet, but yes, Thieves are absolutely necessary. This comes from playing a lot of pen and paper D&D campaigns. You'll always need Thieves/Rogues to handle traps and locked doors. They also have stealth-attack abilities which can be beneficial.

7threst

I just downloaded this game after being intrigued by the trial and man, this is addictive... I am in love with this game..

disappeared said:
Not a Wizardry vet, but yes, Thieves are absolutely necessary. This comes from playing a lot of pen and paper D&D campaigns. You'll always need Thieves/Rogues to handle traps and locked doors. They also have stealth-attack abilities which can be beneficial.
That's what I was worried about, after learning about all the traps and such.

So, is a Bishop a suitable substitute for a Priest? I'm running out of room here.

Gunloc said:
That's what I was worried about, after learning about all the traps and such.

So, is a Bishop a suitable substitute for a Priest? I'm running out of room here.

I forget at what level(7, 8, or 9 I think), but the Thief learns the Back Stab skill which allows him to Hide on the first turn and if it succeeds then he can use Back Stab afterwards which can attack an enemy on any row and also has a chance to steal a good amount of gold. The enemy has a chance of detecting him after the turn and you'll have to Hide again to continue using it. But it's very helpful.

As for a Priest, my main is a Lord and I have a Bishop in my party as well. I haven't had any problems either so I'd say a Priest isn't needed. If you find yourself in need of some extra healing, just bring along some extra recovery items.

Endless-Bravado said:
I forget at what level(7, 8, or 9 I think), but the Thief learns the Back Stab skill which allows him to Hide on the first turn and if it succeeds then he can use Back Stab afterwards which can attack an enemy on any row and also has a chance to steal a good amount of gold. The enemy has a chance of detecting him after the turn and you'll have to Hide again to continue using it. But it's very helpful.

As for a Priest, my main is a Lord and I have a Bishop in my party as well. I haven't had any problems either so I'd say a Priest isn't needed. If you find yourself in need of some extra healing, just bring along some extra recovery items.
Yeah, I just added a Thief to my party and class changed my Priest into a Bishop.

My main is a Lord also. I was thinking of going with the following:

Lord/Samurai/Fighter/Mage/Bishop/Thief

Any particular weaknesses to this party?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gunloc said:
Yeah, I just added a Thief to my party and class changed my Priest into a Bishop.

My main is a Lord also. I was thinking of going with the following:

Lord/Samurai/Fighter/Mage/Bishop/Thief

Any particular weaknesses to this party?

Nope, should work fine. I've been using Fighter/Lord/Samurai/Ninja/Bishop/Bishop and doing fine.

I'm going to toss out my PSN tag in case anybody feels like adding a fellow dungeon-explorer to their friends list. :)

disappeared

I'll be playing this pretty much full-time for the next while.

Finally finished rolling my characters. 40s & 47s for everyone! (Except for one 39, but it was my last character and I thought it was close enough. I didn't even know 39 was possible until just now.)

Here's my party:

Chris - Human/Male/Good/Lord
Shauna - Human/Female/Good/Samurai
Hiram - Dwarf/Male/Good/Fighter
Kellan - Elf/Male/Good/Mage
Cicely - Gnome/Female/Good/Bishop
Phoebe - Elf/Female/Neutral/Thief

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My Lord has been gimped so many times when levelling up :/ She has 49hp at level 6 while my Fighter has 149hp at level 7. Maybe it's that damn fruit she ate?
I should keep better tabs at when she's about to level up.

xelios

Tempy said:
My Lord has been gimped so many times when levelling up :/ She has 49hp at level 6 while my Fighter has 149hp at level 7. Maybe it's that damn fruit she ate?

Nah it's just random. Mine had like 80 something hp at level 4, but I always reload if they get a sucky level up.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
xelios said:
Nah it's just random. Mine had like 80 something hp at level 4, but I always reload if they get a sucky level up.

Usually when she levels up and it's another sucky roll, I realize that it's been a while since I saved :/

thanks

My bishop has 26hp at lvl7, lol. He can't survive a lightning trap, and it pisses me off so much. Only doing sweet tithe lvl ups for him from now on.

tebunker

Banned
I will probably get this just to show support for the series.

But is it too much to ask that they just modernize Wizardry 6 through 8?

It was one of the best continuing story lines I ever followed in gaming, and you really really hate the Dark Savant by the end of Wizardry 8, it's nice to have a non-ambiguous villain, and you could bring your party from game to game.

I "liked" the PS2 game, but it had some weird conventions that strayed from what I want wizardry to be. I am downloading the demo now, and have high hopes. Like EO and Dark Spire and Wiz 1 through 8.

Just a tip for people that are still rolling their characters and may have skipped over some 40s.

Say the numbers out load for each roll, it helps your mind pay more attention by breaking up the rhythm and will stop twitchy fingers.

scy

-STR, -VIT, -LUC, +1 HP.

Fuck you game.

Decided on the following:
Scy - Good Human Lord
Saskia (++Witcher 2) - Neutral Human Samurai
Saizen - Evil Porklu Thief (Can't remove him or else I have to redo the whole process to get him back in >>)

Rin - Good Elf Priest
Shugo - Neutral Elf Mage
Amiya - Good Gnome Bishop

Thief over Ninja once I realized that a 47 roll only has 6 spare points on a Porklu Ninja and uh ... can't get decent stats worth a damn from that. I'll just let the PIE and INT catch up via level gains to unlock Ninja down the road.

Ate a few crappy level gains due to getting decent loot from the fight (-VIT roll on my Bishop is worth nabbing a Mace and Short Sword imo) but otherwise, I'm just save/reloading to make sure I at least get a double-digit HP gain. None of this "woohoo, +1 HP!" nonsense. We'll see how long before that drives me insane.

Thing is...Not story-related spoilers but whatever.

A lot of the later items in the game are worth a TON of gold. We're talking 100k+. With that kind of money you could easily make up some fresh characters and use the temple to train them so you can monitor their stat gains more easily.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
cj_iwakura said:
It is. Tale of the Forsaken Land is amazing. The story and the end revelations were like nothing else.

It was okay, but pales in comparison to the older games.

cj_iwakura

By the way, the sparse snippets of plot in LoLS remind me of TotFL so far.

Very melancholic and mysterious.

Have I mentioned that Forsaken Land had beautiful music?

It did.

i'm still using my starting party of

• Fighter
    Samurai
    Thief
    Priest
    Mage
    Bishop

so far it's smooth sailing. i haven't rerolled levels yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally pulled the trigger on this one. 5 or so hours in and I absolutely love it. Though I sort of wish, strangely, that the encounter rate was just a little bit higher. With as fast as the battles go by in this, I wouldn't mind a few more fights now and then.

Though I'm sure I won't feel that way in later levels of the dungeons. :lol

7threst

This game is really awesome. I know I'm gonna spend a lot of time in this game..

I do have some questions..

- Do I understand the tithe-option in the temple correctly, and is it's only to trade in coins for experience points on a 1:1 ratio, or is there more to it?
- Why would you spend money at the Inn for healing HP if you can just use your priest for healing all characters HP and select 'stable' at the inn, not paying any money and getting your MP restored? Are the other options there for players who just don't want to use a priest or are too lazy to swap characters in their party or am I missing something?

xelios

7threst said:
This game is really awesome. I know I'm gonna spend a lot of time in this game..

I do have some questions..

- Do I understand the tithe-option in the temple correctly, and is it's only to trade in coins for experience points on a 1:1 ratio, or is there more to it?
- Why would you spend money at the Inn for healing HP if you can just use your priest for healing all characters HP and select 'stable' at the inn, not paying any money and getting your MP restored? Are the other options there for players who just don't want to use a priest or are too lazy to swap characters in their party or am I missing something?

-As far as I know that's the only use of tithing. 1:1 gold:exp.
-No reason to use anything but the stable. You're smart. Course you can get some insane amounts of gold later so it really won't matter.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Really don't like how there's no notification when you appraise something, did they think that would annoy me?

Augemitbutter said:
i'm still using my starting party of

• Fighter
    Samurai
    Thief
    Priest
    Mage
    Bishop

so far it's smooth sailing. i haven't rerolled levels yet.

The same combo, but with Lord instead of Fighter.

Lord
Samurai
Priest
---
Thief (with slingshot)
Bishop (with slingshot)
Mage

5 physical attacks each round, 3 characters with priest spells, 4 characters with mage spells, trap protection and picklock.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Quick note to everyone playing: Be sure to go to the Guild and check the Trade section every now and then. Managed to trade a Seeker Ring worth like 8,500G for a Boomerang worth over 30,000G. Now my Thief in the back row can actually attack! :D

7threst

Seraphis Cain said:
Quick note to everyone playing: Be sure to go to the Guild and check the Trade section every now and then. Managed to trade a Seeker Ring worth like 8,500G for a Boomerang worth over 30,000G. Now my Thief in the back row can actually attack! :D

How does the trading work? Do trades pop-up randomly with random items or is it somehow fixed towards the levels of your characters or the quests you have cleared or something?

I finally bought the game and had a good run on the second floor in the trial dungeon. Ended up with a mace, a handy toolkit for my thief and some decent armor. My priest also somehow learned how to divine traps, so now I don't have to guess anymore. Is rerolling character levels really necessary? It sounds like a chore I rather not have to deal with.

One of my party members turned evil (I actually figured out how that happens) then just randomly fucked off. Can I get him back or should I just roll another character?

archnemesis said:
I finally bought the game and had a good run on the second floor in the trial dungeon. Ended up with a mace, a handy toolkit for my thief and some decent armor. My priest also somehow learned how to divine traps, so now I don't have to guess anymore. Is rerolling character levels really necessary? It sounds like a chore I rather not have to deal with.

When you find a chest choose "Search" twice and it will tell you what kind of trap it is. It's not 100% accurate but I'd say I've only failed disarming a trap this way about twice now. It'll save your Priest/Bishop some MP as well. As for rerolling character levels, I wouldn't say it's completely necessary but you don't want your characters getting too many HP+1 or stat reductions. Remember you can save at any time you want so just remember to keep an eye on your characters EXP and save often. :)

thanks

Seraphis Cain said:
I wish we had a list of some sort of what exactly the DLC adds to the game. Would make the decision of whether or not to buy it so much easier.

Well there is the one available now which I believe just opens up floors 6~10 in the trials dungeon, but there appears to be another one which opens up even more floors in shiin's, and a huge dlc pack titled Shadows of the Red Nun or something to that effect, which seems to contain quite a bit of additional content including but not limited to additional quests. This, taken from the wiki in broken Google translation;

試練の迷宮6~10F(やりこみ用)は、別途試練の迷宮全開放(500円)の購入が必要。
シーイン最深部1~6F(やりこみ用)は、別途修道女の赤き影(800円)の購入が必要。

▲ ▼
Wizardry 修道女の赤き影
販売価格…800円 600円に値下げ
配信開始日…2010/03/15(月)
追加内容…本編の後に位置づけられるストーリー。
複数の追加クエスト・追加アイテム・追加モンスター・追加登場人物等。
ストーリー本編及びプラチナトロフィーは製品版(2,000円)で解放される別のダンジョンで完結。
詳細記事 → http://www.4gamer.net/games/096/G009648/20100309002/
※当DLCを購入後、再度PSstoreに入り『特典コンテンツ(0円)』をDLすること。
 これはレベル制限解除(Lv50→Lv99)できるもので、ないとクリアは困難。

archnemesis said:
Is rerolling character levels really necessary? It sounds like a chore I rather not have to deal with.

it isn't. i haven't done it yet and i doubt i will do it in the future. might consider reloading if one character gets three crappy levels in a row tough. doubt it will happen.

xelios

As far as HP on level up go, I seem to have the lowest rolls on my Gnome Bishop. And his VIT is the same as others. My Elf Bishop is like 60 hp higher at the same level. I'd never make another one.

xelios said:
As far as HP on level up go, I seem to have the lowest rolls on my Gnome Bishop. And his VIT is the same as others. My Elf Bishop is like 60 hp higher at the same level. I'd never make another one.

my lowest hp character is my porklu thief. my priest has double hp compared to her.

thanks

xelios said:

I can vouch for this. The highest hp lvl roll I've seen for my gnome bishop was 7. Almost always rolls +1 or 2. Terrible.

xelios

Augemitbutter said:
my lowest hp character is my porklu thief. my priest has double hp compared to her.

Damn. My Porklu Samurai has 147 hp at level 8. Admittedly I reroll if I get low hp or negative vital stats. Btw Samurais are freakin' awesome once they get their class skill!

My gnome bishop has 37 HP and my porklu thief has 101 HP. Both are level 7.
Seraphis Cain said:
Thank you for this advice. I just traded a hard staff for a kick-ass katana. Trading my long sword for an iron helmet was probably a bad idea though. I'm also up to 27k in gold. What are you guys using it for?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The one thing that bugs me about my party is that I stuck with the default Human Samurai (Ayane) and Elf Mage (Ganz). I wish I could at least change their names. But they're like Lv. 8 now and I don't want to make new ones and re-level them just so they'll be "my" characters, so to speak. Eh.

Anyway, quite liking my party so far:

Seraph (Human Fighter)
Ayane (Human Samurai)
Garris (Dwarf Fighter)
Ganz (Elf Mage)
Himiko (Porklu Thief)
Lynne (Elf Bishop)

Really can't believe I'm enjoying this game as much as I am. I usually quite dislike RPGs (save for the really different stuff like Resonance of Fate), but this is about as traditional as you can get without being a pen-and-paper game and I absolutely love it. Odd.

sleepykyo

archnemesis said:
My gnome bishop has 37 HP and my porklu thief has 101 HP. Both are level 7.
Thank you for this advice. I just traded a hard staff for a kick-ass katana. Trading my long sword for an iron helmet was probably a bad idea though. I'm also up to 27k in gold. What are you guys using it for?

I have a gnome bishop too. Even the pork thief has twice as much hp as it. Do the special classes get fewer stat boosts when they level?

xelios said:
Damn. My Porklu Samurai has 147 hp at level 8. Admittedly I reroll if I get low hp or negative vital stats. Btw Samurais are freakin' awesome once they get their class skill!

yea, that's a huge difference. my porklu thief has 80something hp at level 9 or 10. i don't have a gnome in my current party.

Top Bottom