• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls [PSN] | The originator returns - time to die.

Durante

My party is level 10 and I just found a sword that would sell for 135000 gold (Ice Sword). It's pretty awesome.

It was really easy to turn my Ninja Neutral, but I'm having a heck of a time turning my Evil Priest Neutral also.

How many enemies must I spare for you?!?

Durante said:
My party is level 10 and I just found a sword that would sell for 135000 gold (Ice Sword). It's pretty awesome.

Rare drop I'm guessing? Where'd ya get it?

My guys are lvl 11s now, up to 3rd floor of Shiin. Definitely having a tough time of it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Crosswayboy said:
Rare drop I'm guessing? Where'd ya get it?

I got two of them, both from "Spirit" in Trials. Couple other rares in the same floors that are good (B3/B4).

Gunloc said:
Neutral Ninja get!
How long did it take you to make a neutral ninja? I just found two pieces of awesome rare ninja only loot and I'm kind of tempted do make one myself. Is it possible to leave your party leader back at the guild hall? Mine is a good lord and he'll probably won't get along with an evil ninja.

xelios

archnemesis said:
How long did it take you to make a neutral ninja? I just found two pieces of awesome rare ninja only loot and I'm kind of tempted do make one myself. Is it possible to leave your party leader back at the guild hall? Mine is a good lord and he'll probably won't get along with an evil ninja.

You can make another leader when you load your save up (evil ninja leader). Take him into the dungeon and save. Log back on with your other party and go to the same dungeon floor and "Search for allies". He joins, easy. If you kick him out of your party you just have to repeat the process. Had mine since the beginning this way.

Oh, that's interesting! I'll try that later. This is the perfect time for me to add new weak recruits to my party since I have to go back up a few floors and look for more grim circlets.

archnemesis said:
It took me less than ten minutes, but I think it was just luck. I've got another Evil character (a Priest) I've been trying to turn Neutral and it's taking a lot longer.

I've just been grinding the first floor of the Dungeon of Trials, and leaving any fights when given the option. (When the enemies are staring at you or when they're afraid.) That's the only time I've seen alignments change, and it depends on what option you pick. (Choosing to fight scared enemies can turn Good characters Neutral for example.)

xelios

Oh yeah, don't do it with "New Game", just when you press Continue and see all the races/genders.

It took me forever to get those grim circlets. And now there's a quest to get 10-20 of something. =/

bunbun777

So Smashi my Dwarf fighter got to lvl 30-- just cleared BF8 and was going into BF9

Holy cow this makes the Banshee look like a joke. Baphomets and Leapers taking 2(!) levels away from me-- killing my party- monsters getting healed when i hit them-- other ones just are not getting hit. Not to mention these Demon Lords and Vampire Ladies-- I am scared.

i don't seem to have much luck with quests drops. i'm sitting at 8 reagents and can't seem to bump into the necessary encounter anymore. got a shitton of good equipment in the process though. bastard sword +8 was particularly weird. pretty nice offhand weapon.

xelios

+number weapons/armor drop from enemies? I've only got them from chests I found in the dungeon so far.

i don't know if it was a straight drop from enemies, or a chest dropped from enemies but definitely not from a visible, unopened chest in a dungeon.

JudgeN

What everyone opinion on Ninja vs Thief? Right now my thief does nothing but unlock doors/chest, can ninja do the same thing and what level can ninja unlock doors/chest.

xelios

JudgeN said:
What everyone opinion on Ninja vs Thief? Right now my thief does nothing but unlock doors/chest, can ninja do the same thing and what level can ninja unlock doors/chest.

Level 1. They can do all that a thief does and more (class skills like assassination). Just not gain levels as fast I think.

Oh yeah, and there's some sweet gear for ninja. :)

I'm so pissed at myself this morning. I had some insomnia last night, so I was grinding on the character creator looking for those epic 47 rolls. Well, in my zombie-like state, I accidentally clicked past a 40 and a 47. I damn near wanted to cry. =(

a thief can backstab and rack up money by stealing. you can use that to level up your party extra by tithing.

Solstice said:
I'm so pissed at myself this morning. I had some insomnia last night, so I was grinding on the character creator looking for those epic 47 rolls. Well, in my zombie-like state, I accidentally clicked past a 40 and a 47. I damn near wanted to cry. =(

happened to so many of us.

xelios

Gunloc said:
Has anyone here been able to get the Bushido Blade to drop from the
Banshee?

It's supposed to be really good. So far though, I've only gotten a Priest's Robe, a Hard Staff and a Vulnerary. Is it worth it to keep trying, or can it be found later?

I just got it. Took about 10 tries. It's nice, I got rid of my ice sword for it on my samurai. Will be ?Sword when it drops.

You may already have it by now but: It has a holy element, LOTS of +to enemies (blue) with no reds. Silence effect. Roughly the same damage as Ice Sword other than that, but #atks is x6. Dunno if it drops anywhere else yet.

a thief can backstab and rack up money by stealing. you can use that to level up your party extra by tithing.

Didn't know that, pretty cool. So I guess the "basic" classes get more class skills than they lead on then?

I still haven't spent a dime since I bought the first map for 5 gold, but my thief is getting tons of gold from backstabbing dragons and other larger enemies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a thief, but they're in the back row so I can't figure out how to use them in combat. Is there a trick to that or do they need to be placed up front?

mattiewheels said:
I have a thief, but they're in the back row so I can't figure out how to use them in combat. Is there a trick to that or do they need to be placed up front?
Weapons have different range. So far I've seen S, M, L and LL. If you use weapons with short range, like a dagger or a staff, you won't be able to hit anything from the back row. Press the triangle button from the item list to see detailed information about a weapon.

mattiewheels said:
Get them a sling. Also, once they get their hide ability, they can do backstabs no matter what row they're in.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember finally having enough money to buy a sling in Class of Heroes, only to find out that you have to have stones or something to load it with, and I don't remember if I ever found any.

Quixzlizx

Gunloc said:
It was really easy to turn my Ninja Neutral, but I'm having a heck of a time turning my Evil Priest Neutral also.

How many enemies must I spare for you?!?

I don't know about this game, but I believe in other Wizardry games priests can't be neutral.

JudgeN

Ice sword is freaking god like on my samurai, going to go farm the Banshee to get its rare drop now.

So whats up with the stat system when you level up, why is it my fighter NEVER gets str/vit up always luck/int/piety and my mage gets str/luck but never int. It really confuses me.

JudgeN said:
Ice sword is freaking god like on my samurai, going to go farm the Banshee to get its rare drop now.

So whats up with the stat system when you level up, why is it my fighter NEVER gets str/vit up always luck/int/piety and my mage gets str/luck but never int. It really confuses me.
I think it's somewhat dependent on race, also. What race is your fighter, by chance?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think there are stat caps too. So if you used lots of bonus points, you're gonna get to the stat cap much faster.

JudgeN

Solstice said:
I think it's somewhat dependent on race, also. What race is your fighter, by chance?

Hume = Fighter
Hume = Samaria
Dwarf = Lord
Gnome = Mage
Elf = Bishop
Porklu = Thief

Outside of my thief & bishop everyone else seems to leveling up the wrong stats but are getting decent amount of HP ups.

Tempy said:
I think there are stat caps too. So if you used lots of bonus points, you're gonna get to the stat cap much faster.

I did get 40 or 47 bonus points on all my characters hmm.

garath

I absolutely love this game.

I'm not far in, I spent probably 2 hours+ making my characters. My leader ninja had 47 bonus, the rest are 30-40. I was happy with that.

Right now I'm going:

Ninja
Samurai
Fighter
Bishop
Priest
Mage

but I'm thinking about replacing the priest with a thief for backstab.

I've read some of the comments in the thread about not finding a lot of items. I'm only level 3 and have only been to trials level 1 but I've so far found enough items that I've filled up my first two characters inventories. Maybe a third of that is magical items (dagger +3, seeker rings to +4, staves, potions, maps, etc). I attribute it to my high luck on my ninja. He has a 17 or 18 luck. I played the original wizardry on the computer a LOT and remember that luck is extremely valuable.

Need to explore this trading thing ya'll have mentioned. I've never tried that.

I haven't been min/maxing my level gains too much, just saving often and if I get a bum gain (1hp and negative stats) I reload.

rMdPe.jpg

I got my first 47 bonus roll and created a female human ninja.

0CLA6.jpg

The translation could use some work, but overall it's pretty good. There is quite a lot of text in this game I understand if Xseed is working on a very limited budget.

archnemesis said:
0CLA6.jpg

The translation could use some work, but overall it's pretty good. There is quite a lot of text in this game I understand if Xseed is working on a very limited budget.
Heh, I never noticed that. I usually just speed through the combat.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but changing your character's class resets their level to 1. However, they do KEEP their stats and a good portion of their HP. Not only that, they keep all their learned spells and about half of their MP it seems. For example, my Lord is level 26 with about 750+ HP. He has 9 MP in all Priest spells but he only learns 2 of them for each "spell level." I turned him into a Mage and his level reset to 1 but his HP was 350+. He also maintained all his Priest spells and his max MP for each level was 4. So switching your characters to say a Bishop and leveling them up to the point when a Bishop learns all spells with 9 MP and then switching back to your original class would be very beneficial. :) However, this does take A LOT of gold if you choose to relevel through the Temple.

Long story short, think of this as sub-classing and retiring like in EOIII. ;) I was wondering how the characters in some of those screenshots had such high HP. Although they were in the 40's to 50's in some I didn't see how my characters would reach 5,000-7,000+ HP at the rate they were going. And they probably won't without switching classes up and releveling a few times over.

scy

These should be the level-up growths for the classes. I can double-check later when I'm off work:

Warrior: 1 ACC, .200 DEF, .200 # of Attacks, .200 Max Damage
Samurai: 1 ACC, .200 DEF, .200 # of Attacks, .200 Max Damage
Lord: : 1 ACC, .200 DEF, .200 # of Attacks, .200 Max Damage

Thief: 1 ACC, .250 DEF, .250 # of Attacks, .250 Max Damage
Ninja: 1 ACC, .250 DEF, .250 # of Attacks, .250 Max Damage

Priest: 1 ACC, .150 DEF, .150 # of Attacks, .150 Max Damage
Mage: .5 ACC, .100 DEF, .100 # of Attacks, .100 Max Damage
Bishop: .5 ACC, .125 DEF, .125 # of Attacks, .125 Max Damage

Odd, really, that there's a dearth of mechanics information for Wizardry. Oh ... joy. Even the JP Wikis are rather tame on raw mechanics.

Endless-Bravado said:
So switching your characters to say a Bishop and leveling them up to the point when a Bishop learns all spells with 9 MP and then switching back to your original class would be very beneficial. :) However, this does take A LOT of gold if you choose to relevel through the Temple.

It's level 26, for the record, that Bishops should have 9s on all their spells. That's around 820k in EXP (818,400).

You can also lose levels from enemies and that doesn't change your stats/HP; regaining levels is purely HP growth from there on out.

half the translation is inconsistent. the story segments are translated well so far but the other parts can be pretty shoddy. try using tithe without money for example and you'll get "dummy". to equip became equipment and the backstabbing message is just weird. i'm ready for other surprises at this point ;)

i'm grateful we got a chance to play this game but hopefully they'll improve with the next entry.

thanks

Holy wtf! Anyone else get a
Bizen Osafune sword for Samurai? Blue against every enemy type except for dragon, additional effect of confusion, 61~412 in ATK with a chance to hit 7 times. Accuracy of 10, range M, 7 defense, and some status bonuses to strength and intelligence!

xelios

thanks said:
Bizen Osafune sword for Samurai? Blue against every enemy type except for dragon, additional effect of confusion, 61~412 in ATK with a chance to hit 7 times. Accuracy of 10, range M, 7 defense, and some status bonuses to strength and intelligence!

Jesus.
from what?

thanks said:

no, but it sounds amazing. guess my game loves dragon slayers. i got 4 of them so far :eek:

thanks

xelios said:
Jesus.
from what?

When my party stumbled upon my Porklu main's treasure chest in 4f Shiin's. Also got the Porklu fang which is really nice. I'm not sure if the assassin's or musashi's dropped it. Either way, that sword plus my Samurai's job skill is insane.

xelios said:
I think I got it from a drop/chest drop pretty early on (before I went past the top levels). As ?Scroll or something.

This. I'm pretty sure mine was a drop as ?Scroll.

It took me a while to get my party setup so I haven't done much yet. I explored about 80% of the first Trials area and had my first encounter with Banshee last night. She slapped everyone to death in a matter of seconds. :(

Are torches ever useful or am I doing something wrong? I tried using them in dark areas but it didn't light anything up.

thanks

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
This. I'm pretty sure mine was a drop as ?Scroll.

It took me a while to get my party setup so I haven't done much yet. I explored about 80% of the first Trials area and had my first encounter with Banshee last night. She slapped everyone to death in a matter of seconds. :(

Are torches ever useful or am I doing something wrong? I tried using them in dark areas but it didn't light anything up.

I don't think anything can light up dark areas. The torches and light spells are for the "normal" parts of the dungeons.

i've noticed advanced reflexes (improved dodge) stays on you forever once you cast it.

so i'm currently crawling with three buffs on me permanently:

• levitation to avoid lightning traps
    advanced reflexes for improved dodging
    ball of light for btter sight.

those won't work in anti-magic-areas but you can always recast them once you're on normal terrain again.

on another note....i've found my first special dagger.
poison needle. low damage, atk x5 and has a chance to poison the target. pretty neat.

and to those hunting for reagents. the quests description will tell you that spirits drop them. that might be true but i found out humanoid mages drop them as well and you'll encounter many more of them in the dungeon of trials 5th? floor i believe.

xelios said:
I just got it. Took about 10 tries. It's nice, I got rid of my ice sword for it on my samurai. Will be ?Sword when it drops.

You may already have it by now but: It has a holy element, LOTS of +to enemies (blue) with no reds. Silence effect. Roughly the same damage as Ice Sword other than that, but #atks is x6. Dunno if it drops anywhere else yet.
Still haven't gotten it yet. I've probably beat it over 50 times too. :/

I reached floor B8F in Shiin's Dungeon yesterday,
involuntarily trough a trap door
, and boy was that scary. The assassination skill is extremely useful against high level enemies and I quickly realized that my samurai is almost completely useless with his current sword. Maybe I'll try hunting down a few Banshees myself. I finally also finished collecting both
grim circlets and reagents
for the item shopkeeper.

it looks like i have a streak of luck with my thief. i got a him a second
poison needle, then i found a thief plate armor and lastly a pair of thief mitts. my samurai is rocking a fire sword now, which was dropped by a huge fire dragon on B8F. i found some shuriken too, but i have no use for those.

this game is seriously addicting.

Top Bottom