• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

eefara

But yeah as you say, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was a normal, paid game. The concept and the writing is so good and honestly my biggest qualm with it is simply the freemium stuff kinda keeping it back since while I think the tie to IRL time makes it a really organic/immersive experience it still felt really disheartening that I couldn't reload nor participate in like the 3AM conversations without paying for IAPs.

That is, unless I've been doing something wrong...

No, you're doing it right, as far as I can tell. You have to be awake and ready to receive the early morning/late night chats if you don't want to mess with hourglasses.

For some ungodly reason, Cheritz has three or four super early morning chats the first day. I haven't done a while lot of testing to confirm, but as far as I can tell, that means you would have to clear the prologue at 12:01 that morning or so to make sure the game lets them pop. :/

tHTZhuf.jpg

Yo-Jin-Bo ~ The Bodyguards is on sale for $8.98.

I mean while I managed to try and keep up with the game but sometimes it felt really disheartening having missed some conversations and missing some calls just because I didn't have the app on, only having the hourglass system to fall back to so I could re-participate in some conversations.

But yeah as you say, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was a normal, paid game. The concept and the writing is so good and honestly my biggest qualm with it is simply the freemium stuff kinda keeping it back since while I think the tie to IRL time makes it a really organic/immersive experience it still felt really disheartening that I couldn't reload nor participate in like the 3AM conversations without paying for IAPs.

That is, unless I've been doing something wrong...

No, you're doing it right, as far as I can tell. You have to be awake and ready to receive the early morning/late night chats if you don't want to mess with hourglasses.

For some ungodly reason, Cheritz has three or four super early morning chats the first day. I haven't done a while lot of testing to confirm, but as far as I can tell, that means you would have to clear the prologue at 12:01 that morning or so to make sure the game lets them pop. :/

I feel like they did that just to force you to pay at least sometimes :/. I saw all these comments on tumblr like "I'll be sure to make in app purchases you guys are so kind <333" and I just don't understand this idea. I want to support the company but some of the design decisions they've made to try to force me to pay instead of just letting me pay them properly... it's really disheartening.

eefara

I feel like they did that just to force you to pay at least sometimes :/. I saw all these comments on tumblr like "I'll be sure to make in app purchases you guys are so kind <333" and I just don't understand this idea. I want to support the company but some of the design decisions they've made to try to force me to pay instead of just letting me pay them properly... it's really disheartening.

Well, thankfully it doesn't really matter in the long run whether you get the late night/early morning chats; it just bothers me as a completionist.

BTA

Well, thankfully it doesn't really matter in the long run whether you get the late night/early morning chats; it just bothers me as a completionist.

Yeah, I'm planning to start it soon (I guess I should actually finally do Kent's route in Amnesia first...) and that's gonna bother the hell out of me. I can't really complain because I'll be playing it for free thanks to all the hourglasses they gave away, but... as someone who likes to see everything that I can (though not all alternate choices, etc.) missing full conversations is pretty annoying.

eefara

I feel like we've discussed this title several times but how's the romance in this one? What's the consensus for you folks who have played it as compared to the more recent stuff like Hakuouki and Sweet Fuse?

Point me to the discussions, in that case. I've got the game, but I've heard absolutely nothing about it.

Dunkley

Honestly thinking about it, that's pretty much probably why it bothers me.

Especially since they tease you with it by having the other characters ask if you are around. Kinda made me feel bad about missing out on them to be honest.

Just on the first day? I might be misremembering something but aren't there early conversations on Day 2 as well?

I honestly can't say for sure since I was feeling sick that whole day but it felt like there were some too that I missed then. Sorry if I am wrong though.

I feel like we've discussed this title several times but how's the romance in this one? What's the consensus for you folks who have played it as compared to the more recent stuff like Hakuouki and Sweet Fuse?

Point me to the discussions, in that case. I've got the game, but I've heard absolutely nothing about it.
I played Yo-Jin-Bo a few years back and I enjoyed the game. It has a lot of humor in it which can be a hit or miss. I liked the protagonist Sayori and the LIs. The romance happens rather quickly compared to Hakuouki because it takes course over a few days. It's not on the same level as Hakuouki, which is my favorite otome followed closely by Code: Realize, but it's still a fun game.

Saphirax

Loving those CxM impressions! Very glad it seems to have turned out decently. Amazon JP reviews are still pretty great as well.

I'm hoping CxM and CR FD are the games that are released first of the bunch next year for us >_>

Me too!

But given the release dates...will probably be the last two we get :(.

eefara

I played Yo-Jin-Bo a few years back and I enjoyed the game. It has a lot of humor in it which can be a hit or miss. I liked the protagonist Sayori and the LIs. The romance happens rather quickly compared to Hakuouki because it takes course over a few days. It's not on the same level as Hakuouki, which is my favorite otome followed closely by Code: Realize, but it's still a fun game.

Oh, thanks! Might be worth trying after all.

Just on the first day? I might be misremembering something but aren't there early conversations on Day 2 as well?

I honestly can't say for sure since I was feeling sick that whole day but it felt like there were some too that I missed then. Sorry if I am wrong though.

No, there are early conversations every day, but you can play normally to unlock them. The remaining day after you finish the prologue is considered the first day. So if you finish the prologue at 6 pm, for instance, you're now completely locked out of all the conversations that came earlier in the day. Locked out as in they don't show up on your chat list. Which makes sense, as you weren't an RFA member at that time anyway, but it forces you to complete the prologue early enough to snag the chats.

Saphirax

I stand corrected. I read her initial impressions when she was playing and she seemed to have been enjoying her experience.

Yeah - some characters were okay/good but they couldn't really save the game.

Her tastes kind of align with mine, so I'm optimistic about CxM so far.

Thanks for your review! :D I'm still on the fence.. but I'm so busy with my work these days and MM right now there's probably no rush.

She gave RdF 5.5/10. I wouldn't call that liking :p. Been following her on tumblr for quite a while. I believe she loved Psychedelica, Hyakka and BAW.

Edit: http://kairosity.tumblr.com/tagged/reine-des-fleurs

Omggg I've seen some discussion of this here and there but I never paid much attention... T____T good lord that artwork!! I don't suppose we're ever getting this one, huh..

Saphirax

Thanks for your review! :D I'm still on the fence.. but I'm so busy with my work these days and MM right now there's probably no rush.

Omggg I've seen some discussion of this here and there but I never paid much attention... T____T good lord that artwork!! I don't suppose we're ever getting this one, huh..

Pray for Wand of Fortune.

Same artist, better game.

jzbluz

You probably don't want that game. There's the Wand of Fortune series by the same artist which was received a bit better, although the gameplay is supposed to be a bit of a pain.

12.jpg

9.jpg

They are also doing the art for one of Otomate's new mobile game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do98fxuEPK8

Huh, they are also doing Variable Barricade.
https://youtu.be/s4NSUL8h7Uo

Kirie

This is incredibly selfish of me, but I'm so thankful RdF didn't come over. I suffered through 40 bad endings of that pos game to get the platinum. Artwork is great but there's nothing else decent about it ~_~

So many other games that are actually good that deserve to come over instead.

You probably don't want that game. There's the Wand of Fortune series by the same artist which was received a bit better, although the gameplay is supposed to be a bit of a pain.

12.jpg

9.jpg

They are also doing the art for one of Otomate's new mobile game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do98fxuEPK8

Huh, they are also doing Variable Barricade.
https://youtu.be/s4NSUL8h7Uo

This is incredibly selfish of me, but I'm so thankful RdF didn't come over. I suffered through 40 bad endings of that pos game to get the platinum. Artwork is great but there's nothing else decent about it ~_~

So many other games that are actually good that deserve to come over instead.

40 BAD ENDINGS... maybe you guys and Saphirax are right <_<;;;; so pretty though.. sigh.

BTA

When actually is the best time to start Mystic Messenger? Early AM, sounds like?

I know I'm going to miss late night conversations anyway, but I'd like to get any I can.

eefara

MM update: Cheritz is handing out a 200 hourglass compensation for the saving issues to users who registered before today. I don't think they specified a platform, so to the best of my knowledge both Android and iOS users are in luck. Can confirm that Android users will receive the compensation, at least.

Also, they're waiting on an iOS patch for the saving issues to clear with Apple; according to Cheritz, this should fix all of them.

When actually is the best time to start Mystic Messenger? Early AM, sounds like?

I know I'm going to miss late night conversations anyway, but I'd like to get any I can.

Hmm. I've been keeping a spreadsheet for tracking purposes, to see who gets on when and if you receive artwork/guest invitations from the chat, and as far as I can tell chats are pretty evenly spread out throughout the day. I'll double-check to make sure; it's possible that certain characters appear more at certain times of the day, but going back in my memory doesn't seem to suggest it.

So tl;dr it shouldn't matter when you log on.

Kirie

Damn, I read the prologue summary of CxM by estearisa (couldn't help myself) and wow, it seems really good. Lots of tension for sure.

Dunkley

No, there are early conversations every day, but you can play normally to unlock them. The remaining day after you finish the prologue is considered the first day. So if you finish the prologue at 6 pm, for instance, you're now completely locked out of all the conversations that came earlier in the day. Locked out as in they don't show up on your chat list. Which makes sense, as you weren't an RFA member at that time anyway, but it forces you to complete the prologue early enough to snag the chats.

Huh? I didn't know that.

That's really cool actually, if I ever feel up for it I'm gonna do the prologue around 1 AM to see what the earliest chat would be you could get on the first day. I remember finishing the prologue up my first time at around 10PM so in worst case I missed an entire day on my first playthrough since I didn't get any chats anymore until the next day.

Saphirax

Uff, so tempting, but I really want to go in knowing 'just enough' without spoiling too much, like I did with DanganRonpa.

I skipped to the last part.

If you thought this game was supposed to be dark and thrilling, you thought right. It really gives off that creepy, dark, mysterious atmosphere that it’s clearly going for. It reminds me of Death Note, Psycho-Pass, and somewhat… Zero’s Escape? It has a strong murder-mystery theme to it. And if you thought Amnesia is dark, then this is much darker. It goes on about the injustice, distrust, and discrimination the police have continued to show. Which makes it very interesting and draws you in immediately. I will say now that Aksys made a good choice in localizing this game even before the game’s Japanese release.

eefara

Huh? I didn't know that.

That's really cool actually, if I ever feel up for it I'm gonna do the prologue around 1 AM to see what the earliest chat would be you could get on the first day. I remember finishing the prologue up my first time at around 10PM so in worst case I missed an entire day on my first playthrough since I didn't get any chats anymore until the next day.

Early chats on the first day are at these times: (spoilered if you want that early morning sense of discovery for yourself)

00:03
02:21
04:35
07:00

Pro-tip if you don't want to see the spoilers: get up before 1 am. @.@

So... Yoosung's route in Mystic Messenger...

Talk about a letdown. It was boring as fuck in the end and creepy in the beginning with the constant "you're just like my cousin who was like a sister to me there isn't anything weird about this at all". I was looking forward to his route because he was so sweet in Zen's route but I see that Zen was clearly the superior man all this time.

I'm gonna do Jaehee's route next because spoilers I guess, but I'm not really looking forward to it since I'm not into chicks. I am happy for bi and gay chicks though that they included her, it's nice. But just not.. really gonna be feeling the fantasy with this route lol.

eefara

So... Yoosung's route in Mystic Messenger...

Talk about a letdown. It was boring as fuck in the end and creepy in the beginning with the constant "you're just like my cousin who was like a sister to me there isn't anything weird about this at all". I was looking forward to his route because he was so sweet in Zen's route but I see that Zen was clearly the superior man all this time.

I felt the same for the first part. I didn't think the later bits were boring, but they didn't enamor me at all. I was glad to finish his route.

I'm gonna do Jaehee's route next because spoilers I guess, but I'm not really looking forward to it since I'm not into chicks. I am happy for bi and gay chicks though that they included her, it's nice. But just not.. really gonna be feeling the fantasy with this route lol.

Ugh, I really need to get back on and go through hers. @.@ If it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's any romance in hers. Best friends vibe is what I've heard, though of course I have yet to play through and evaluate myself.

I felt the same for the first part. I didn't think the later bits were boring, but they didn't enamor me at all. I was glad to finish his route.

Ugh, I really need to get back on and go through hers. @.@ If it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's any romance in hers. Best friends vibe is what I've heard, though of course I have yet to play through and evaluate myself.

I guess that seemed far too progressive but if that's the case then I'm gonna be even more irritated that this girl is once again standing between me and romance lol. I like her much more outside of Zen's route but girl.... <_<;; why you always standing between me and my boys.

eefara

A patch for the saving issues on MM has been released, and Cheritz has confirmed that iOS users will receive a 200 hourglass compensation for all the issues.

gaiages

Banned
I downloaded Mystic Messenger last night and have been having nothing but issues :< 505 errors, login errors, infinite loading... It's so frustrating. And I also did the prologue before reading everything here and missed like all the convos for day 1 D:

I think I'll wait a few days, make a new account and try again I guess. The notifications make me ;-; because I'm missing all these convos though

I downloaded Mystic Messenger last night and have been having nothing but issues :< 505 errors, login errors, infinite loading... It's so frustrating. And I also did the prologue before reading everything here and missed like all the convos for day 1 D:

I think I'll wait a few days, make a new account and try again I guess. The notifications make me ;-; because I'm missing all these convos though

I would keep the same account just so you don't lose any hourglasses from the compensation they're going to give for all these errors. I feel for you though, what a terrible time to start ;3;

eefara

I've been having login issues as well lately, you're not alone.

Don't sweat missing the day 1 convos; it won't be important in the long run. They give you plenty of chats and opportunities to make for it.

Keep the same account as well, so you can accumulate compensation bonuses. You're in no danger of failing a route, so there's no need to create a new account.

gaiages

Banned
I would keep the same account just so you don't lose any hourglasses from the compensation they're going to give for all these errors. I feel for you though, what a terrible time to start ;3;

I've been having login issues as well lately, you're not alone.

Don't sweat missing the day 1 convos; it won't be important in the long run. They give you plenty of chats and opportunities to make for it.

Keep the same account as well, so you can accumulate compensation bonuses. You're in no danger of failing a route, so there's no need to create a new account.

Lol good to know! I'll keep the same account for the time being, and just wait a day or two. I feel bad about missing chats, but I'm assuming I can make those up later :3

eefara

Lol good to know! I'll keep the same account for the time being, and just wait a day or two. I feel bad about missing chats, but I'm assuming I can make those up later :3

You can use hourglasses to"rewind" time and participate in the chats you missed. I recommend only using them for the specific person you're going for, though, to conserve hourglasses.

eefara

Could someone who's on/completed Jaehee's route in MM confirm what the first few chats on day 5 are for her? My game's not showing a portrait for who's route I'm on. >.> I'm pretty sure it's hers, since the chats I have available aren't on Zen's or Yoosung's routes, but I just want to be sure.

jzbluz

I have a confession to make:
I've only played three Hakuoki routes, I've never bothered to try them all.

I was so tempted to do this. I actually ended up skipping most of Hijikata's route when I couldn't take it anymore. But I learned an important lesson about leaving the characters I'm most interested in for last.

Top Bottom