• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

BeeDog

So, haven't had the chance to play this yet and probably won't today, so might as well ask; how solid is the 60 fps in this game?

Jobbs

Banned
Was playing and the cat slowly pushed my door open, making a creaking sound. :)

I've played a couple hours, and while it scared me a bit at first, I quickly became numb to it. I know, I know -- I must be a bad ass (where's the gif). But the scares started producing absolutely no response from me, and it became a game of finding the switches without aggroing the badguy, rinse repeat. Very mechanical, not much depth to the gameplay (IMO).

I just want to say, the headphones are just so damn awesome. So glad Sony made this a priority.

Playing in the dark, the DS4's lightbar becomes noticeable, but in a non-distracting way, I suppose. The nightvision of the cam seems to react accordingly with the lightbar, which is nice.

Does anybody know if the devs utilized the speaker? I'm using headphones all the time, but does the game use the speaker at all? I heard Tomb Raider does it real well.

Once again, you can use the touchpad for zooming in and out, which is better than taking your thumb off the analog stick

yamo

Will download, start the game, then turn it off once it gets scary and never start it again!

As soon as I get a PS4

Beaulieu

Was playing and the cat slowly pushed my door open, making a creaking sound. :)

I've played a couple hours, and while it scared me a bit at first, I quickly became numb to it. I know, I know -- I must be a bad ass (where's the gif). But the scares started producing absolutely no response from me, and it became a game of finding the switches without aggroing the badguy, rinse repeat. Very mechanical, not much depth to the gameplay (IMO).

I kinda agree (in the sewers now) but sometimes the game still gets me and Im still on the edge of my sofa most of the time.

bronk

Banned
Its been giving me errors all day trying to download it. What the hell! I have my Pulse Elites ready and everything. :(

Beaulieu

1620865_10153765392410570_16983407_n.jpg

Something feels odd. This is supposed to be 60 fps right? Maybe the blur effect is down or something but I recall the 60 fps being more noticeable when I was playing PC with my buddie.

cchum

This
scissor
guy is tearing me up. What a jerk.

The
twin chase
has been the highlight so far.

How much further do I have to go GAF as I'm ascared?

Tried to play this a bit before bed alone in the dark....

Nope.gif

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Game looks pretty spectacular for an indie game. Frame rate is nice and smooth 60fps in the bit I played.

I hope these dudes got a good cut from Sony for ps+!

JLeack

Banned
After 30 minutes of play I'm no longer scared of the game. I can't believe I'm saying that. I was expecting an immersive horror experience.

Moofers

15 mins in and I'm scared. Headphones and darkness are just cruel at this point. It's been real easy for me to get immersed. Going to have to play this during the day or while in party chat or something. I can't handle it in total submersion mode.

Oh, I also can't figure out where to go next. Just came out of the room where you write your 2nd journal entry. Little halp?

cchum

15 mins in and I'm scared. Headphones and darkness are just cruel at this point. It's been real easy for me to get immersed. Going to have to play this during the day or while in party chat or something. I can't handle it in total submersion mode.

Oh, I also can't figure out where to go next. Just came out of the room where you write your 2nd journal entry. Little halp?

More detail?

MazeHaze

Banned
Man the graphics in this are really nice. A little bit of slowdown here and there, but noticeable 60 fps most of the time it seems.

Lights out, headphones on.
I made it through the first "chapter", and then had to put it down.
Too heavy, too much anxiety. Need to break this game up into bite-sized pussy pieces.
My fingers on the triggers occasionally cast shadows from the LED bar on the DS4, and had me jumpy.

I'll hold my own dick, but thanks for asking...
BfsBbHBIcAAzhwJ.jpg:large

Too heavy, too much anxiety. Need to break this game up into bite-sized pussy pieces.

My fingers on the triggers occasionally cast shadows from the LED bar on the DS4, and had me jumpy.

Exactly what I did.

I'll hold my own dick, but thanks for asking...
BfsBbHBIcAAzhwJ.jpg:large

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=769035433124982

Tested how well the record mic setting worked on the ps4. Needless to say, I ended up in that same stall. ;D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Something feels odd. This is supposed to be 60 fps right? Maybe the blur effect is down or something but I recall the 60 fps being more noticeable when I was playing PC with my buddie.
It is 60 fps. Not sure what you're seeing.
There are some very minor dips here and there but it's stable 99% of the time thus far.

JLeack

Banned
You have to tell your 7 friends to go home and turn off the lights and the radio.

As proven on my stream, I was alone in a dark room with headphones on.

This game keeps you on edge so much the scares feel predictable and you go numb to them.

I miss Amnesia and the early Silent Hill games. I love their style.

I'll beat this game in the next two but I'm very glad I didn't buy it on PC. I would have been regretful.

Tested how well the record mic setting worked on the ps4. Needless to say, I ended up in that same stall. ;D

If you turn the camera night vision on, you can see the head stuffed in the toilet with the arm.
Watched your video. Is everyone playing this game like this, super cautious? Because I sure am! Though except for on point early on when
I got the power back on, I RAN my ass all the way to the security room, lol

CLBridges

Played this for about 30 minutes and man, this game has atmosphere. The darkness along with the sound effects really got me immersed just that quick. The scares are definitely there and one scene sent a slight chill all the way up to my brain lol. I'll come back to this game in the morning, you know, cause I play games better when it's daylight out :)

I set the game down at the part where
you reach the Doctor and he chops off your fingers

I have to say, the first few 30min or so where pretty terrifying, but I kinda feel like the game has already shown all of its cards.

Enemy encounters boil down to trial and error (or sometimes just sheer luck) and dont feel that tense anymore....dare I say, tedious.

Not trying to be too down on the game because it does have a lot of good aspects but I feel the scare levels dont live up to the hype.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Playing this with headphones. Omg. So fucking scary. The sound effects and atmosphere are incredible.

I have to say, the first few 30min or so where pretty terrifying, but I kinda feel like the game has already shown all of its cards.

Enemy encounters boil down to trial and error (or sometimes just sheer luck) and dont feel that tense anymore....dare I say, tedious.

Not trying to be too down on the game because it does have a lot of good aspects but I feel the scare levels dont live up to the hype.

This is where I decided to put the controller down and take a break. Game is great with remote play dare i say makes it more "personal". Any ideas as to the length of this game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

You're completely on point.

The game is almost entirely scripted. It wants you to play it like a stealth/horror game but it doesn't hold up its side of things. A lot of things that should logically work simply don't due to the fact that you're dealing with narrowly scripted behavior. It's all jump scares and scripted encounters.

I found it scary at first as well but that sense of fear definitely dries up as the game reveals itself.

It can still be a cool experience, no doubt, but it also failed to live up to what it could have been.

Ilúvatar

Just finished my initial playthrough of the game on Normal. Took about 3 hours. Did pretty good on the collectibles but didn't find all of them so will have to do that when I go back and play on Insane.

Top Bottom