• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Aces&Eights

Yeah, I played a bit
(got to security room door; now need key)
with my girlfriend sitting next to me but she has since gone home and there is no way I'm playing alone with my Pulse Elites in the dark. I WANT to enjoy scary games but the shit just freaks me out so much I can't leave the lighted areas. I think it's the sound that does it. All those creaks and groans and just out of sight slurping sounds...NOPE. I'm a fraidy-cat and that's just how it is. DELETE GAME.

jiiikoo

Banned
Damn, didn't see it on the EU PS Store yet. Didn't play this on the PC knowing it was coming to the PS4, can't wait to get it..

Artex

Banned
I like that each encounter is sort of like a puzzle to solve. The game also handles itself really well in that I generally know where I'm supposed to go. Something spontaneous will happen and I'll take off running and make an awesome escape and look cool doing it while making adrenaline fueled moves.
While I at first agreed with those above about enemy encounters I now am quite enjoying each one. This isn't Amnesia, but while it's obviously heavily influenced by it I also see how it's very different gameplay. Good game; I stopped
just after the doctor on hard.

Dediner

Neo Member
Dammit I started download it and by mistake I cancelled it and now I can't get in the store :(

arrrrgh!!!

Don't know if someone already answered you, but in this case, just go to your "Download list" on the PS4, and press "Download". This should do the trick. When you buy something, and press "Cancel", it automatically goes to your "Download list" - also a great way to stack up on games and get them for free, and play them somewhere in the future.

Mitark

I'm going to play this with HMZ-T1 but fuck man all these comments is not encouraging since i turn the light off and close the door when i use the glasses.

b7zSg7m.jpg

How can you record the mic and the game at the same time? Tought that it only could be done in a stream, but the PS4 doesn't let you save your last broadcasts of twitch

Click the share button, once the share menu comes up, press option(start) and you'll see an option to check to record your mic. Just make sure thats checked off and then from then on out you'll record both video with game audio as well as your mic.

Lucent

I've gotten a good 30 minutes or so in. I haven't been scared since the first jump scare
trying to open a door and seeing something peek out at you making you jump back
. Maybe if I had headphones it'd be more effective. I think my not being scared is mostly due to knowing it's a game. =l

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've got to say, it was pretty good on the scary atmosphere until I first got attacked and figured out how the mechanics work. Not so scary anymore, but better than most scary games these days.

CDV13

I tried the lights off headphones approach...first jumpscare came up. I paused it, saved it, & turned it off. Will be playing with the lights on.

I'm going to play this with HMZ-T1 but fuck man all these comments is not encouraging since i turn the light off and close the door when i use the glasses.

b7zSg7m.jpg

You're in for the most scariest experience ever, just make sure your HMZ T1 stays mounted on your head.

Got about 15 minutes into it, turned it off. Shit was too much for me because my apartment livingroom is big, my wife and daughter is asleep, and I'm a pussy.

Cudder

Just beat the game on hard mode, streamed all the way through, was super fun! Love the PS4 streaming. Overall I liked it. Only the jump scares actually scared me, if you've played horror games in the last the environments are pretty standard fare. I don't know that I'd put it above Amnesia, though.

Mdk7

Just beat the game on hard mode, streamed all the way through, was super fun! Love the PS4 streaming. Overall I liked it. Only the jump scares actually scared me, if you've played horror games in the last the environments are pretty standard fare. I don't know that I'd put it above Amnesia, though.

How much time did it take?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn.

Amnesia made me uneasy but never had me flip out mashing quit game. SH and Fatal Frame always kept me on edge, but I also rarely had a problem plowing through alone in the dark.

This game had me yelling NOPE! and quitting to dash at the first "jump scare" pretty early in. Really do chalk it up to the sound though. Just great stuff pushing through headphones, and playing in the dark I literally do not want to open most doors out of fear. Strange really, I'm usually somewhat immune to horror games, but man the creepy audio and surround sound really pulls you in.

Replicant

Just got back home to find my copy of Outlast eerily fully installed along with its update. This is the first time I did this distant download and it's both awesome and a bit creepy. I guess time for terror after dinner then!

damidu

played this on pc. it has some problems but
was much better experience than machine for pigs for me. length was ideal too.

great reason to boot ps4. has been some time.

As a 42 year old man who played this on my PC (Still waiting for it to appear on my PS4 account ), I can honestly say it scared the living shite out of me. I just look forward to tomorrow when it does finally appear on PSN and I can put it on my 150" projector screen with the lights off and the surround sound on, and then go up stairs to my computer room and play Hearthstone whilst listening to the screams of terror from my 8 yr old son. Hey, if I could do The Exorcist at his age, he's got it easy! (
probably
not serious)

JoeFenix

This can barely be described as a game, everything is so rigid and scripted that I stopped feeling threatened after the first real encounter. There is no penalty for dying so I never felt a sense of dread when I was being chased. Checkpoints and horror games really don't mix well at all.

The game tries to scare you with shit jumping at your face but none of it matters, nothing can really hurt you. I can think of 2 or 3 times when the game had guys breaking through a glass window with their arms to try and grab me. Once the initial animation is done you can just walk up to the window and the dudes just stand there looking at you.

This game is the ultimate smoke and mirrors experience. Nothing matters, there's nothing that could be described as meaningful gameplay. Doesn't help that the story was bad and the writing in the documents was ridiculously poor.

I liked a couple of moments from a purely visual and sound design perspective but that's pretty much it. Not a fan. All flash, absolutely zero substance.

Oh and I'm glad to see that frame tearing is still alive and well in the next-gen! It wasn't a big deal because the framerate is mostly great but why couldn't they just v-sync it? Seriously....

peetfeet

As a 42 year old man who played this on my PC (Still waiting for it to appear on my PS4 account ), I can honestly say it scared the living shite out of me. I just look forward to tomorrow when it does finally appear on PSN and I can put it on my 150" projector screen with the lights off and the surround sound on, and then go up stairs to my computer room and play Hearthstone whilst listening to the screams of terror from my 8 yr old son. Hey, if I could do The Exorcist at his age, he's got it easy! (
probably
not serious)

Tomorrow? It was out yesterday in US and today EU.
As a fellow old fart (44) mind if I friend you on PSN later? Always like to have gamers near my own age to play with. My id is the same as gaf id.

kinggroin

Banned
I tried the lights off headphones approach...first jumpscare came up. I paused it, saved it, & turned it off. Will be playing with the lights on.

just don't come in here posting later how tough you are and how this game really isn't that scary. Lol

Ricker

I will try this again today...last night I got stuck early on,on the generator part and kept dying and just gave up...I think I figured what to do now overnight lol...atmosphere is too great for me to give up just yet on the trial and error parts(running or hiding away in the right moment or,place)

kinggroin

Banned
This can barely be described as a game, everything is so rigid and scripted that I stopped feeling threatened after the first real encounter. There is no penalty for dying so I never felt a sense of dread when I was being chased. Checkpoints and horror games really don't mix well at all.

The game tries to scare you with shit jumping at your face but none of it matters, nothing can really hurt you. I can think of 2 or 3 times when the game had guys breaking through a glass window with their arms to try and grab me. Once the initial animation is done you can just walk up to the window and the dudes just stand there looking at you.

This game is the ultimate smoke and mirrors experience. Nothing matters, there's nothing that could be described as meaningful gameplay. Doesn't help that the story was bad and the writing in the documents was ridiculously poor.

I liked a couple of moments from a purely visual and sound design perspective but that's pretty much it. Not a fan. All flash, absolutely zero substance.

Oh and I'm glad to see that frame tearing is still alive and well in the next-gen! It wasn't a big deal because the framerate is mostly great but why couldn't they just v-sync it? Seriously....

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the game. It's basically the video game version of Halloween Horror Nights. For me thankfully, that's all I ever really wanted from this. The audio and visual design especially delivered and made it are really fun Digital thrill ride

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Forgot all about this! Will download and try tonight with headphones on.

Looking at a previous comment, are enemies there to kill you or just scare you?

JoeFenix

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the game. It's basically the video game version of Halloween Horror Nights. For me thankfully, that's all I ever really wanted from this. The audio and visual design especially delivered and made it are really fun Digital thrill ride

It's cool if people can enjoy it for what it is, I really couldn't get into it, immediately saw behind the curtains. I think the concept had alot of promise but they needed to make an actual game out of it. I'm hoping that Alien: Isolation finally takes the concept of being stalked and turns it into an actual videogame. Not expecting much from it but atleast it sounds like they're putting alot of effort into the AI, trying to avoid making it too scripted.

Anyway, I was just reading that Insane difficulty removes all checkpoints and resets your entire game if you die. Not that it would fix any of the issues I have with the game but I might give it a shot, I wonder how fast I could blast through this considering 90% of the time you aren't in any danger at all.

I can think of a few sections that would be incredibly lame though if the enemies are one hit kills. The game loves to cheat and magically have enemies detect you when you pick up a key or something, such a stupid design decision. Would probably be incredibly frustrating on Insane. Oh and what the hell is up with these stupid collectibles in games these days? Atleast let me go back on chapter select and give me fractions, this is just infuriating. The last thing you want to do is worry about dumb collectibles while going through an atmospheric game.

Linconan

Downloading now (AU)
I can feel the hairs raising already.... !!!!!

I was gunna key it up and play tomorrow night as i gotto get up early but thought fuck it..I must have a gaming session. So no sleep tonight. Cannot wait...

boils kettle....

and again.

and again...

puzl

Banned
Got it from the UK store. Loved it on the PC, it'll be great to play it on the PS4 hooked up to the 51" plasma. My pants are ready.

Top Bottom