• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Linconan

I'm going to play this with HMZ-T1 but fuck man all these comments is not encouraging since i turn the light off and close the door when i use the glasses.

b7zSg7m.jpg

*chews bubblegum*
You know..
I was going to use my HMZ-T1 aswell. But i can see me getting so immersed into my gaming, that my wife would probably sneak into the office and spider crawl her hand up my leg, just to, hear me squeal like a pig.

*spits out bubblegum*
"That bitch..."

lol

Heh, some tough customers here.
I think people who want to have a good scare, and allow themselves to be immersed in this gameworld without reservation, will enjoy this haunted house.
Alone, pitch black, face in TV, headphones on...I can't imagine anyone not getting creeped out, unless they're trying hard to be a tough guy. We all know it's a videogame, a movie, etc, but keep telling yourself that, lol.

Anyone played it like I described above, but smoked up?
I cannot imagine playing it like that, high, and with VR glasses.
Someday someone is going to have a heart attack from a horror video game.

Linconan

I think people who want to have a good scare, and allow themselves to be immersed in this gameworld without reservation, will enjoy this haunted house.
Alone, pitch black, face in TV, headphones on...I can't imagine anyone not getting creeped out, unless they're trying hard to be a tough guy. We all know it's a videogame, a movie, etc, but keep telling yourself that, lol.

Someday someone is going to have a heart attack from a horror video game.
Agreed, well said.

When i play games, i love getting fully immersed into the gaming world. And, there's nothing better than a horror game imo.
Scares the absolute crap outta me sometimes, and the one thing i'm worried about with this day and age of graphics, how realistic they are getting... I will probably be one of the people that will suffer from being to engrossed into gaming to give themselves a heart attack one day.

Reading some peoples comments (even joking), i can feel my chest pounding. LOL
Someone hold me...
Thank god my download is going slow for once...lol

Played a little hour of the game yesterday and damn is that shit scary and stressful ? But damn i love it !!! It's different yet very fun and immersive, love those kind of games...

Going to play that bad boy with my headphones up this weekend ! Spooky times...

It's the same thing with horror movies. There's always that guy that says "oh my god that movie wasn't scary at all it was so stupid!", and it turns out they watched it on a 15" MacBook in broad daylight.

Not to say that Outlast is the pinnacle of horror gaming, but if you let yourself get immersed in the game and not dwell on the sometimes shallow gameplay mechanics... the game can be terrifying.

G_Berry

Banned
FUCK THIS AND ALL OTHER SCARY GAMES!

I literally have just climbed the scaffolding to get into the asylum and I've turned it off already.

CAPITAL NOPE!!!!!!

ced

1080p is glorious on the PS4, just had to say that.

I played up until about 5 mins into the building, the music was enough to make me quit.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I have downloaded and installed this game 4 times now. It has a little padlock icon on it, and when I try to play it, I get a message that says "only users who have the license may play this title" .

Frustrating.

Help?

pushBAK

My download kept failing. I eventually got it to work by starting the download via the Download queue on the SEN website. Once the download started (and the Outlast icon appeared on my home screen), I put the PS4 into standby mode. Came back in an hour or so and it was downloaded.

I found this game to be rather difficult.

So I have downloaded and installed this game 4 times now. It has a little padlock icon on it, and when I try to play it, I get a message that says "only users who have the license may play this title" .

Frustrating.

Help?

Go to your settings and restore licenses?

Edit: Damn you people are weak. :p There should be a wall of shame for people who didn't make it past the first real encounter.

legacyzero

Banned
Come on ya'll. Play this game. Theres nothing quite like getting the shit scared out of you.

This game isnt THAT scary, but it can be pretty tense.
LOL

MercuryLS

Banned
*jumps through window at the beginning of the game*

*pitch black room with eerie sounds*

*holds down PS button -> puts system into standby*

JoeFenix

I hate these kinds of comments, I played through this at night with headphones on in a pitch black room. Why would I try to be a tough guy? The "game" is incredibly flawed and predictable and doesn't even punish you for failing.

It's not hard to understand how someone wouldn't be intimidated by something so transparent. It's cool if people manage to really get into it and shit themselves but there's no need to start questioning the integrity of people who don't think this is scary.

I was startled a couple of times, it's pretty much impossible not to be when the game goes out of its way to scream at you, but that's as far as it went. I don't know if I can think of any game that truly deeply fightened me but I was very uneasy during my first Silent Hill 1-2-3 playthrough for example, alot more than I was when playing this game. And that experience lingered, this is already forgotten, there's nothing disturbing here.

The story really didn't do the game any favor in that department, not once did I feel creeped out by what I was learning or witnessing. They basically threw everything they could think of in there and none of it worked for me.

Nazi experiments, crazy people, drug induced hallucinations, nanomachines, immortality, spirits, myths, religious zealotry, goverment coverups, evil corporations.

It's all in there and it's all completely uninteresting. I especially hated the tone of the main characters notes. He just sounded like a complete boner honestly. Game felt really corny at times mostly because of the notes and documents.

If you're the type of person who can just completely blindly go along with something or you're especially susceptible to sounds and visuals then maybe you'll really love this. Maybe I'm in the minority here but this just failed on nearly every level for me, both as a game and as an experience.

There were times when the atmosphere was pretty good and could have served as the backdrop for some great horror if the rest of the game and story were there to back it up but that just wasn't the case. Too bad, this game was developed right next to where I live, other than Deus Ex Human Revolution I don't think I genuinely loved anything that came out of the Montreal scene.... It's a shame.

Xater

Enjoying this so far way more than A Machine for Pigs. Yes it does rely a lot on jump scares but at least it doesn't seem to make the same cardinal errors that the second Amnesia game made.

Fuck dude... you're making me hesitate downloading it lol.

Lol! Literally all he saw was
a TV turning on with a demonic noise.

If that's too much, you probably actually shouldn't play this game. After roughly
5-10 minutes past that,
there's
a much much more frightening scare than that.

dc89

I'm not good with scary games. Why did I download this.
I set it to download whilst playing some Knack. I've been playing 10-15 minutes.
I want to go back to Knack.
Pls.

NeoGAF.

Banned
I'm not good with scary games. Why did I download this.
I set it to download whilst playing some Knack. I've been playing 10-15 minutes.
I want to go back to Knack.
Pls.
Rofl the juxtaposition of those two games is great.

RetroStu

Banned
I have just started watching a playthrough of the PC version of this by a Youtuber who is not very good at games but his playthrough is only about 3 1/2 hours long, is the game really that short?.

JoeFenix

I have just started watching a playthrough of the PC version of this by a Youtuber who is not very good at games but his playthrough is only about 3 1/2 hours long, is the game really that short?.

It took me 3 hours on Hard and I was looking around for collectibles. It's not very long.

The_Monk

Going to try and Stream (I have no camera, sold out in here, but I have a Mic). I kinda suffer from high blood pressure every now and then so this should be a fun experience...

These headphones sure will add to the experience. I'm still new to this Streaming thing and I need to update my Channel with info and all that (I tested a full Ep. 2 of The Wolf Among Us yesterday and it seemed fine). I can PM the Stream if some good fellow GAFfers are interested, still need to learn more about this before going "public". :)

Danlord

It's up in the UK ....... just search for it and it comes up showing as free.

I'm in the UK and I had to manually search it as on the store it doesn't show up. All good now, set it to download and will play tonight. Excited after seeing tons of comments here on GAF.

Majanew

Banned
Pretty cool so far. Played in the dark on my 55" HDTV with my 7.1 receiver cranked. Not really scary, but there are some flinches when people jump out of nowhere, lol. And I'm not trying to be "macho tough guy," I just don't find a lot of stuff scary. Guess it's growing up on horror movies and listening to death metal since I was 13. :p

My first complaint is not being able to turn the music off. I want to see how the atmosphere is with just the sounds of the environment and voices.

The tension is good because you have no way of defending yourself (so far at least where I am) so having a dude looking for you is pretty cool.

mrback

How is this compared to say the original 'Condemned' on 360. That game used to freak me out, especially the dummies!!!

dc89

Only one jumpy moment in and I'm having a break. Shouldn't do this to myself... can't help myself... deep breath...

I've closed it. Saved and closed it. Fuck this shit.

How is this compared to say the original 'Condemned' on 360. That game used to freak me out, especially the dummies!!!

Condemmed I could actually deal with. Finished that game. But this, damn this shit is on another level. I can't hack this.

So, what's the best way for a pansy ass like me to approach this game?

Turn all the lights on, set the TV to mute, if you can play it in the daytime (do so), party chat with some friends, double check underneath your bed and closet just to make sure no monsters are hiding and waiting for you

Seriously, play it carefully. I ran around the first level thinking nothing would see me.

And I'm not trying to be "macho tough guy," I just don't find a lot of stuff scary. Guess it's growing up on horror movies ...

Maybe that's it. What's wierd is I don't do horror movies much at all. Only seen a small handful in my lifetime, last one being Devils Rejects when it came out.
Can't tell you why I go out of my way to be fully immersed in an interactive horror experience then.

Marvel

could never
Lol! Literally all he saw was
a TV turning on with a demonic noise.

If that's too much, you probably actually shouldn't play this game. After roughly
5-10 minutes past that,
there's
a much much more frightening scare than that.

It's just... been a while since I last played a truly scary horror game, jump scares always get me too. I will download it and try and be a brave boy lol.

I hate these kinds of comments, no need to start questioning the integrity of people who don't think this is scary.

If you're the type of person who can just completely blindly go along with something or you're especially susceptible to sounds and visuals then maybe you'll really love this.

I didn't mean to question your integrity.
I AM the type of person who can blindly go along with something; that's the point I guess I was trying to make. I fool myself to enjoy this more, try to ignore things that could pull me out of immersion. I see them, I just try and push them aside.

Speaking of sights and sounds, I was surprised how much I was aware that I was using the surround sound. Hiding in a locker, not even looking at the screen, but casting my eyes downward concentrating on sound of the footsteps of whatever was hunting for me. Even then I'd wait a few more beats, as if the enemy AI could have been trying to fool me into thinking it was gone.

Yea, I'm totally fooling myself here, and loving it. :D

Demi_God

Banned
To the developers that made this game, BRAVO!. This game scares the crap out of me. I won't say anything more than the fact that I could feel the atmosphere and I was getting a bit of anxiety and I'm still in the beginning of the game pretty much. Freakin game scares the hell out of me.

S¡mon

Banned
I played this for nearly one hour in the dark. With loud sound. Alone. Than I paused the game and haven't returned since.

Not recommendable. It's simply not good for your heart. :p

Top Bottom