• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Moofers

Turn all the lights on, set the TV to mute, if you can play it in the daytime (do so), party chat with some friends, double check underneath your bed and closet just to make sure no monsters are hiding and waiting for you

Seriously, play it carefully. I ran around the first level thinking nothing would see me.

Ha ha I love the idea that they have been there, waiting for you to play Outlast so they can finally come out and eat you.

Majanew

Banned
Maybe that's it. What's wierd is I don't do horror movies much at all. Only seen a small handful in my lifetime, last one being Devils Rejects when it came out.
Can't tell you why I go out of my way to be fully immersed in an interactive horror experience then.

I mean the game has its moments of scariness, but not to where I'm scared or I have to stop playing. Just a "whoa, that was creepy". I love it though. Not enough horror games anymore. I just walk slowly and try to react how I believe I would if I were actually there. Makes it better than just running around herp derpin' around the hallways, seeing what happens just dicking around.

Game totally freaked my girlfriend out, though.
I was walking slowly up to the guy in the wheelchair close to the beginning and she said "what're you doing? don't go that way, turn around"
haha

bryanee

So I have anxiety issues, lately it doesn't take much for my heart to start beating at a really fast rate. Am I going to have a heart attack?

f@luS

More than a member.
I dont like sccary games...;i do but i dont.....

will try on my 65" in dark. if i cant stand it , will play on remote play :D

dc89

So I have anxiety issues, lately it doesn't take much for my heart to start beating at a really fast rate. Am I going to have a heart attack?

Erm, possibly. Call your local emergency service now.

I dont like sccary games...;i do but i dont.....

will try on my 65" in dark. if i cant stand it , will play on remote play :D

This is a way I could actually play the game. Go lie down in a nice bed of flowers somewhere nice and sunny, be surrounded by cute stuff.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So, played close to an hour. For me, it's nerve-wracking. It's that feeling of knowing something is going to happen, but you don't know what and exactly when. Mood intensifies with music and add in the fact you can't fight heightens the tension.

Will try and finish this today or before the weekend. Kinda want to play it when the wife is awake, though. xD

Slipphreake

Neo Member
I've been watching people stream this game on "Live with Playstation" and I can't wait to play it. It's funny reading the comments on the streams, it reminds me so much of people watching horror movies with their friends and yelling at the characters on the screen.

Game totally freaked my girlfriend out, though.
I was walking slowly up to the guy in the wheelchair close to the beginning and she said "what're you doing? don't go that way, turn around"
haha

I totally stood still in the game and studied him for a good 10 seconds to see if he was moving. Then had to motivate myself to go that way, only because there was no other place left to go. "Easy now...eeeasy..." circle strafing around him verry slowly, not turning my back on him as I went further down the hall,
lofl.

Good stuff.

JoeFenix

I didn't mean to question your integrity.
I AM the type of person who can blindly go along with something; that's the point I guess I was trying to make. I fool myself to enjoy this more, try to ignore things that could pull me out of immersion. I see them, I just try and push them aside.

Speaking of sights and sounds, I was surprised how much I was aware that I was using the surround sound. Hiding in a locker, not even looking at the screen, but casting my eyes downward concentrating on sound of the footsteps of whatever was hunting for me. Even then I'd wait a few more beats, as if the enemy AI could have been trying to fool me into thinking it was gone.

Yea, I'm totally fooling myself here, and loving it. :D

It's all good, I was mostly just bothered by the "tough guy" comment, like my experience couldn't possibly be legitimate because the game didn't scare me.

It's cool that you're enjoying it though, seems like the game is working for alot of people here.

XenoRaven

I saw Floe play this game. Even after seeing the opening beforehand, it still scared me. First half hour or so of game spoilers ahead.

I had to stop in the room with the guys staring at the broken TV. The music was making me too anxious.

I had to work in the morning and was concerned about sleep so I had to play AC4 for a couple hours to cleanse the pallet.

That scene in the shower when
you're walking forward and see the one dude so I just hold back to walk away...and suddenly get a knife through my back/stomach goddamn nice setup

Scoot2005

Banned
Fuck... I'm about to go down the stairs. I watched a youtube video of this and I know what's down there. I DON'T WANNA!!!

Watevaman

Fuck... I'm about to go down the stairs. I watched a youtube video of this and I know what's down there. I DON'T WANNA!!!

This is where I stopped in the PC version. I actually went down and did some stuff but fuck even with my cousin right next to me I couldn't do it.

This game is great in 5.1. Made for it really. When hiding you can hear out of each speaker exactly where the guys are and time your escape accordingly.

Im going to try this sometime this week. Im generally not easily scared, especially by movies/games where its fairly predictable, but Im not going to say no to at least trying a free game.

You know what, GG, my heart can't take this. Running from those brutes with the music pounding, and getting in a locker or under a bed just too late is too much.

hoserx

How is this compared to doom3? I had a hard time getting through that game and that was the last "horror" game I played.

Doom 3 didn't cause me to leap or be stunned a single time. This game, within 20 minutes, I was fucking freaking out like a baby.

Liamc723

I've just reached the maintenance shed and I can very easily say that this is the scariest game I have ever played in my life, it's incredible!

Donos

Reading this thread is great.
Reminds me when i was at a friends house and he showed me Silent Hill 2 on his PS2. He played to a part where he stopped a day ago, then turned to me with sweaty hands and said that he knows what is coming but he doesn't want to go there. He turned the game off and never played it again. Sold it two weeks later.
Good times.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom 3 didn't cause me to leap or be stunned a single time. This game, within 20 minutes, I was fucking freaking out like a baby.
They both rely on jump scares almost entirely.

They are nothing like the type of horror presented in titles such as Silent Hill, Siren, or even something like the original Thief games. Outlast is just constantly blasting sound and visual cues in your face and is entirely scripted.

hoserx

They both rely on jump scares almost entirely.

They are nothing like the type of horror presented in titles such as Silent Hill, Siren, or even something like the original Thief games. Outlast is just constantly blasting sound and visual cues in your face and is entirely scripted.

I 100% agree that Outlast is full of stimulus based scares......... and those work the best on me..... but Doom 3 didn't work that way for some reason. I just never got scared. Maybe it's having things like rocket launchers and BFGs that made me feel a bit more at ease.

Reading this thread is great.
Reminds me when i was at a friends house and he showed me Silent Hill 2 on his PS2. He played to a part where he stopped a day ago, then turned to me with sweaty hands and said that he knows what is coming but he doesn't want to go there. He turned the game off and never played it again. Sold it two weeks later.
Good times.

Exactly. I miss those jumpy, creepy moment from games like Re1/2, SH1/2, Fatal Frame ect. The current ones basically became shooters instead and lost that effect lately.

SHarris78

Just downloaded this, hopefully will get to play it later if I can pull myself away from trying to 100% Marvel Lego.

I bought Outlast on the PC when it was released but didn't have much time to put into it, I do remember it creeping me out though. I love the fact i'm such a wuss when it comes to scary games/films, it makes the experience all the more enjoyable (terrifying!!).

NoTacos

Has the stream quality been upgraded on PS4? It's a lot better than it was at launch. This is a solid stream.
His stream is pretty good so I'm thinking they got some quality issues worked out, but then again if your connection/ISP is legit then it results in higher quality.

I initiated the download from work, PS4 should be done when I'm home.

I'm currently very sleep deprived, will this make me yawn at the scares or will I get psychological problems due to hallucinations etc. :D

Top Bottom