• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

PBY

Banned
Once you die, you start this trial and error loop that sucks. Wish there was an option to just skip to the next section after your dead. It's not fun running and hiding over and over- at that point the tension is dead.

EGM1966

Once you die, you start this trial and error loop that sucks. Wish there was an option to just skip to the next section after your dead. It's not fun running and hiding over and over- at that point the tension is dead.

That's an issue all horror themed games - particularly no or low combat ones - face. The option to skip forward a teeny bit might not be a bad idea provided it could be implemented without upsetting any narrative in place in terms of cut-scenes, etc.

Played this for an hour in the dark with my surround sound headphones, absolutely nerve wrecking, lol.

Also, totally random observation no one will care about, but I noticed that the background 'music' ambience that plays when you're reading documents also appears heavily in PS3 downloadable zombie game 'How to Survive' - must be a stock sound, or something.

Dinosur

Yeah, that's why I'm having a real issue getting in this game. Played it once on PC, and died in the same area on PS4 last night. I'm a horror/ghost/gore movie whore, so jump scares do nothing for me. Unfortunately, that just turns this into a plodding hide-and-seek type game and when you know what's coming, sitting under a bed or whatever for two minutes loses its luster.

I'd much rather have a lives counter or something in return for a better checkpoint system.

Scuderia

His stream is pretty good so I'm thinking they got some quality issues worked out, but then again if your connection/ISP is legit then it results in higher quality.

My connection died in the end, but i have a pretty solid upload speed of 15mb/s which should be good for the stream quality

Yeah, that's why I'm having a real issue getting in this game. Played it once on PC, and died in the same area on PS4 last night. I'm a horror/ghost/gore movie whore, so jump scares do nothing for me. Unfortunately, that just turns this into a plodding hide-and-seek type game and when you know what's coming, sitting under a bed or whatever for two minutes loses its luster.

I'd much rather have a lives counter or something in return for a better checkpoint system.

yeah I got really frustrated with the first encounter with a roaming enemy (generator room) because every time I tried to sneak around the guy seemed to gravitate towards my position which just made it irritating.

Liamc723

Just finished the game! The scariest game I've ever played, and one of the best on the PS4 so far, I highly recommend it, even if you're too scared to play it.

murgo

Just finished the game! The scariest game I've ever played, and one of the best on the PS4 so far, I highly recommend it, even if you're too scared to play it.

Fuck man.. I had to shut it down after hiding in the first locker :D I don't think I can go on today.

Xater

Only one of the hidden trophies left, so I guess I am almost done. I really like this game. Totally worth the "free" download.

S¡mon

Banned
Pff, I'll continue tomorrow or later this week with this game. I would probably have bought this game if it wasn't on PS+, I think it's a really good game.

Certinty

Insane game. I've NEVER been scared playing any game before, but 10 minutes into this and i'm already feeling the tension rise big time.

NoTacos

My connection died in the end, but i have a pretty solid upload speed of 15mb/s which should be good for the stream quality
Awwww I was lounging about on the couch with a bottle of wine watching your stream, yelling and laughing my ass off hahaha I though my connection was the one that crapped out.

Man, I get that the main character's "not a fighter" and that you need to run and hide or you'll die, but it's pretty ridiculous that he can't grab SOMETHING to defend himself with as a very last resort. I took a wrong turn and got backed into a corner by an enemy, but there wasn't enough space for me to escape past him, so that was the end of that. Couldn't even shove him away to make some room. Meh.

Melchiah

Played this for an hour in the dark with my surround sound headphones, absolutely nerve wrecking, lol.

I played until the generator room without headphones, just because I wanted to hear if the game uses the DS4 speaker at all, but apparently it doesn't? If so, I'll continue playing with the PS3 headset on.

Into

Played the game in complete darkness with my Audio Technica ATH M50s headphones, and the experience was incredible and intense. This is the kind of game where the audio is incredibly important.

I am aware that this game is not a major AAA title, nor is it designed around the PS4 (or Xbox One) hardware, so it does not look amazing, however when you use the night vision thing, it looks like real life night vision, its almost indistinguishable

I played through about 45 minutes before it got to tense and had to turn it off for the night.

That fucking jump scare with
the patient who leaps out at you from his wheelchair. That one got me big time.

Mr.Fresh

Waiting for it to get dark outside before I try this. I might stream it too. Definitely going the headphones route.

Recall

Popular with the ladies or at least big enough of a game for people to try and get in on the action to help garner new Twitch followers to their channels.

TwitchG_zpsf8a48333.png

jaaz

Hmmmm, I think this may be the best new release "free game" ever offered on PS+. (I am aware it was released on PC last year--I played through it--referring to console new releases).

Newlove

The ambient sounds and character breathing really work well to build up the tension. I enjoyed my session on it earlier. Played up until the first guy you meet throws you down to the ground floor and I left it there.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Im about two hours in the game, I have to say I played it in the dark with headphones and at daytime without headphones.

The game is really good and tense, when a game puts you on the edge at 3pm is a good sign!

Congratulations to the developers!

Yeah man, that totally sounds like the best thing to do.

Seriously, why?
Just joking.

She has been in the room while my wife and I watched The Walking Dead though. I don't think the images are scary to her because they don't mean anything to her yet. She hasn't been taught to be scared of it yet.

Carl

Downloaded this but need to psych myself up to play it... Watched a guy stream last night and pretty much shat myself

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've been playing for about an hour, taking my time (just got the security keycard) and I'm underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or maybe it just hasn't really started yet. There are lots of nice touches, but I'm yet to be really scared (other than a few enjoyable jumps!). If you take out the jumps, it just feels quite sedate to me. I'm open-minded though and want to see the story through to the end. I love the camera effects though, especially with the night-vision on.

Game is scary as fuck but also frustrating. I find it very difficult to escape enemies in these tiny rooms/hallways. Is this how the majority of the game will be?

Coming here to collect my thoughts, as this game is doing a number on me mentally. Really enjoying it though. Playing it with the Pulse Elites is heart-pounding. Whenever I get to close to a door frame or bookcase or something and his hand comes onto the screen, I freak out. It's not supposed to be scary but I jump every time thinking it's somebody coming for me.

Melchiah

Just joking.

She has been in the room while my wife and I watched The Walking Dead though. I don't think the images are scary to her because they don't mean anything to her yet. She hasn't been taught to be scared of it yet.

Yeah, many years ago my friend's little girl watched The Evil Dead with us, until her mother took her away, and she just found it funny. I remember her saying, "the monster lady has fun", when one of the possessed giggled. =D

Draper

Think I may have made it too bright. Dark on the logo but make the character slightly visible? I'm confused, and now I don't know how to adjust it.

Cudder

Think I may have made it too bright. Dark on the logo but make the character slightly visible? I'm confused, and now I don't know how to adjust it.
That screen did nothing for me. Honestly, even cranked all the way up I couldn't see shit.

I downloaded this because it was free but I don't think I'm going to play it any time soon.

I'm not too good with this genre lol

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I played the first part. Jezus! That had me screaming like a wee girl. AND THAT WAS JUST LEVEL 1! The rift is gonna be crazy with this kinda game.

JLeack

Banned
How scary/fun is this game?

I'm a big horror game fan and think it's not scary at all after the first 30 minutes. The A.I. is predictable and stupid.

There are MANY jump scares, though. They're very cheaply done.

If you're looking for a smart horror game, skip this.

If you're looking for jump scares, try it out.

Top Bottom