• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Scuderia

Awwww I was lounging about on the couch with a bottle of wine watching your stream, yelling and laughing my ass off hahaha I though my connection was the one that crapped out.

Haha thanks for watching anyway, i think there's good potential with console streaming

Tomorrow? It was out yesterday in US and today EU.
As a fellow old fart (44) mind if I friend you on PSN later? Always like to have gamers near my own age to play with. My id is the same as gaf id.

I'm in Australia, but use a UK PSN account. Didn't turn up last night, not sure why, was available this morning when I got up. And you're welcome to add me, PSN is 'mavisSC' if I don't answer a message or game request don't be offended, it just means one of the kids is on my account, they never bother switching to their own.

Man, I get that the main character's "not a fighter" and that you need to run and hide or you'll die, but it's pretty ridiculous that he can't grab SOMETHING to defend himself with as a very last resort. I took a wrong turn and got backed into a corner by an enemy, but there wasn't enough space for me to escape past him, so that was the end of that. Couldn't even shove him away to make some room. Meh.

Haven't played much yet but have to say this was my first thought as well. Should at least be able to punch or throw an elbow or something. Even if you couldn't kill or even damage enemies with it, just as a matter of principle/realism something should be in there.

Just joking.

She has been in the room while my wife and I watched The Walking Dead though. I don't think the images are scary to her because they don't mean anything to her yet. She hasn't been taught to be scared of it yet.

I feel like some things are just primordially terrifying though. And deeply scarring :b

This game has made me really dislike the Dual Shock 4's light bar. Trying to play this game in darkness, and that bright light kind of ruins it. I don't understand why Sony won't let developers turn it off. Maybe in a future update...

It's so bright!

For real. This game really highlights what a generally poor design decision that lightbar was. I imagine camera adoption is sitting somewhere around 10% - so why the fuck do we all have lightbars glowing up our rooms while we try to scare ourselves with Outlast?

The_Monk

Had to take a break because it was getting darker and raining in real life so that meant the immersion was getting too big. ;)

I also streamed a bit and managed to have some people watching it, I'm not sure how close to the end I am. I just reached a part where
I am told to go outside, it's very dark and raining and I reached the female ward? Not sure if that was the name.

Replicant

Played this up until the first encounter but due to my splitting headache I can't exactly feel the terror. Hopefully this will change tonight.

This game has made me really dislike the Dual Shock 4's light bar. Trying to play this game in darkness, and that bright light kind of ruins it. I don't understand why Sony won't let developers turn it off. Maybe in a future update...

It's so bright!

partime

I'm a big horror game fan and think it's not scary at all after the first 30 minutes. The A.I. is predictable and stupid.

There are MANY jump scares, though. They're very cheaply done.

If you're looking for a smart horror game, skip this.

If you're looking for jump scares, try it out.

Dude the games $20...

Scuderia

It's so bright!

I quite like the effect when you're camcorder is running out of battery though, scared me a bit first time.

Got to play about 10 minutes so far today and the sounds made the dog leave the room which I'm guessing is a sign its best to play this after dark. Atmosphere seems really good from what I saw.

Gammacide

Played in the dark last night with headphones and seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack at two of the first scares. Plus the entire atmosphere is utterly unsettling thanks to amazing sound/music. Some of the scares are considered cheap but it doesn't make them less powerful, especially when you are going through the game so slowly and nervously because you are on edge about the next one coming. In that sense the scares are very very effective and are worth more than the simple moniker "jump scare". Terrific game.

casnix

Well, I'm currently hiding in the locker after turning one of the pumps on. I'm scared to go further. My wife is laughing at me.

Done one of the first parts
Got security key, on way down to the basement
and the game has successfully scared the shit out of me. Dark room, headphones, fuck me. The scary factor reminds me of Condemned, but of course here you are totally defenceless. Great atmosphere.

Plays really nicely too on the controller. Oh, and 60fps was a nice surprise too :)

Just got to the area after getting the generator going. I'm enjoying the game, even if I'm only playing in spurts. It's definitely scary. The mechanic of creeping around corners/slowly opening doors makes every doorway tense. I understand why they didn't add in any combat but I really wish you could attempt to push them out of the way, or charge into them so that you can run for your life. I got cornered in a room and just had to take a hit and then run by.

Had so much fun streaming this game. Hit almost 300 viewers until my internet f'd up. Oh well. I love the game and will be streaming a play through on insane mode which pretty much is a one life mode where if you die you start over and you can't save. Crazy.

Gaz_RB

2nd section spoilers

Those two dudes with their dicks out planning out how they're going to kill you. Brilliant. The way I died by them was awesome too. I walked in the showers and saw one of them, and started backing up and backed right into the other guy who shanked me. Epic moment.

2nd section spoilers

Those two dudes with their dicks out planning out how they're going to kill you. Brilliant. The way I died by them was awesome too. I walked in the showers and saw one of them, and started backing up and backed right into the other guy who shanked me. Epic moment.

I call them
the dick duo

Ilúvatar

2nd section spoilers

They were scary as hell
especially during that window sequence when they are almost making fun of the games AI. But then they appear again at the end and for some reason they are nice now?

AlexIIDX

I watched like 5 minutes of a stream last night just cause I was curious to see some gameplay and I nearly had a heart attack on one jump scare. I can't wait to start this, but man jump scares kill me!

RE_Player

First game in a long time I had to stop playing. Too scary. Will have to try again another night. So glad it's free on Plus.

Gotta say, Sony are picking these plus titles well. I'd have never considered buying this or don't starve, but after this I'll certainly suggest them to others.

Ilúvatar

Gotta say, Sony are picking these plus titles well. I'd have never considered buying this or don't starve, but after this I'll certainly suggest them to others.

I think a large part of why Sony was able to offer both Don't Starve and Outlast as PS+ titles is they both have DLC forthcoming. I assume this DLC will be paid, and Sony is planning to cash on in the massive install base. Devious, eh?

RE_Player

Ilúvatar;99770351 said:
I think a large part of why Sony was able to offer both Don't Starve and Outlast as PS+ titles is they both have DLC forthcoming. I assume this DLC will be paid, and Sony is planning to cash on in the massive install base. Devious, eh?
It's also interesting how PS Plus gives exposure to games on other platforms. On Giant Bomb they had the Thomas Was Alone dev on and he said he saw a surge of Steam sales after his game was free on Plus, presumably from the word of mouth. It seems like a win-win-win for Sony, developers and consumers.

OMGGGG the part where you
activate the airlock and the monster punches through the glass, I literally stood there expecting him to not be able to get through
....I need to change my diaper now

All this time and I didn't realize you can plug any headphones into the damn PS4 controller and output the TV audio through it.

I don't know if I just didn't think about it or I figured it'd only output the controller audio or what but regardless it's a great feature. Now I feel no need to get the Pulse headset. Awesome. Have my ATH-M50s connected for some Outlast tonight.

Slipphreake

Neo Member
All this time and I didn't realize you can plug any headphones into the damn PS4 controller and output the TV audio through it.

I don't know if I just didn't think about it or I figured it'd only output the controller audio or what but regardless it's a great feature. Now I feel no need to get the Pulse headset. Awesome. Have my ATH-M50s connected for some Outlast tonight.

It's a great feature, but I feel like it doesn't work as well as the Sony headsets did. I felt like you could hear when the source of a sound was moving from one ear cup to the other. Like it was just stereo, if that makes any sense.

It's a great feature, but I feel like it doesn't work as well as the Sony headsets did. I felt like you could hear when the source of a sound was moving from one ear cup to the other. Like it was just stereo, if that makes any sense.

Ah that may be, I'm not sure. Either way it beats my crappy TV audio output. I'll probably end up getting the new Gold headset at some point when they're cheaper anyway assuming they're decent.

OMGGGG the part where you
activate the airlock and the monster punches through the glass, I literally stood there expecting him to not be able to get through
....I need to change my diaper now

As soon as I saw him banging through it I dipped. There was no way that glass was gonna hold in a horror game.

def sim

i7LBR2gt1LoBy.jpg

model viewer spooks!

im pretty much just hiding in lockers and doing whatevs. kinda takes me out when the ai is super predictable. anyway, i'm at a part where the framerate isn't doing so great. so much for 60fps

Nuke Soda

I'm not brave, not by a long shot but so far all this game has done to me was a couple of jump scares, haven't screamed yet

I really like the document collecting, it is really cool slowly piecing together what happened. The note collecting is pretty cool too, looking around with your camera so that your guy makes his reporter notes.

The atmosphere is great, really oppressive and ominous.

I'm only about 10-15 minutes in so far there is plenty of time yet for me to be reduced to a babbling baby.

Big horror fan here, played a little last night and i must have screamed like a bitch 5x already. I dont normally fall for such tactics but i am here

FaintDeftone

I'm enjoying the game so far along with the atmosphere and story, but every time I hit a portion of the game where I get chased by dudes, it always annoys the hell out of me. I had the same problem with Amnesia where running away and hiding becomes an exercise in trial and error. Most of the time I fumble with the controls and I just let the enemy pummel me to death and try again.

I'm sure I'll see the game to the end but I'm finding every chase sequence to be annoying.

Top Bottom