• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Veelk

Banned
It's a shift for one character, though. It's not like they're trying to give all tanks damage. This is just a random one-of for some reason. If they're undergoing a paradigm change, then you'd think they would communicate that...

That makes no sense. Why would them deciding a paradigm shift for one character is in order mean they have to give a paradigm shift for ALL the characters?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ok once youve played with these japanese voices as doomfist there's literally no going back after hearing kazuya go RISING UPPACUT

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've made my frustrations with OW clear in many posts over the last year and a half.

But that said, man, when this game works... it works.

After a few games of just pure toxicity, I managed to land a team that was all talking - and the tw and strategies were phenomenal. We're pushing on attack and it's the final point... we have a tele up and I'm Mercy... and I end up 2-3 man rez'ing THREE TIMES in OT. So incredibly tense. We had maybe a few inches to go and unfortunately lost - but it didn't even matter; everyone was playing their hearts out. GGs all around.

I have awful luck with teammates in solo - early on, I did a little check over two weeks and intentionally didn't choose healer - we started the game without a healer more than 80% of the time. Just stupid. But it forced me to really love Mercy; and now she's my most picked hero with something like 70 hours out of 200+. I really can't wait for her re-work. I think it'll be harder, but a lot more fun.

That makes no sense. Why would them deciding a paradigm shift for one character is in order mean they have to give a paradigm shift for ALL the characters?
Not all characters, but all tanks.

Also, two characters now have their E button filled in (D.va's is E, right?) where they didn't before. Does this suggest that others like Winston and Reaper will get skills filled in? Personally, I would love a "get off me" gorilla PAUNCH for Winston. Not a huge push back, but maybe half a screen so Reaper doesn't annihilate you immediately.

Anne

Oh I agree, for sure. I just wish they would be really clear about tanks. If they want to move toward all tanks being able to do damage, I think that's a good thing (same for support). But it's wild to have them do a 180 on design philosophy out of nowhere, especially after gutting Roadhog.

It's really not that surprising honestly. Things kind of hit a point where OW wasn't really recognizable to some of the original design ideas and expectations, and a decision has to be made what direction to move things in. The impression I get is there's been a lot of debate and hard decisions being made to just go in this direction instead.

I also wouldn't sum it up as "everything just deals damage" cause OW has a history of tanks/supports dealing too much damage. It's more like making kits more generalist and taking an emphasis off switching. IMO it's a good change because in practice the switching mechanic doesn't work very well.

Veelk

Banned
Not all characters, but all tanks.

Same logic. They don't have to change all the tanks just because they want to change D.Va. I don't see why you'd even make that assumption.

Also, two characters now have their E button filled in (D.va's is E, right?) where they didn't before. Does this suggest that others like Winston and Reaper will get skills filled in? Personally, I would love a "get off me" gorilla PAUNCH for Winston. Not a huge push back, but maybe half a screen so Reaper doesn't annihilate you immediately.

If they need to? Again, they didn't make the D.Va change out of the blue. DM felt oppressive to a significant portion of the fanbase. That is what motivated the change. If Reaper gets to be such a problem that Winston is basically being deleted from the game, then yeah, maybe he'll get a gorilla punch then, but that's not the case at the moment atleast for most people.

It's really not that surprising honestly. Things kind of hit a point where OW wasn't really recognizable to some of the original design ideas and expectations, and a decision has to be made what direction to move things in. The impression I get is there's been a lot of debate and hard decisions being made to just go in this direction instead.

I also wouldn't sum it up as "everything just deals damage" cause OW has a history of tanks/supports dealing too much damage. It's more like making kits more generalist and taking an emphasis off switching. IMO it's a good change because in practice the switching mechanic doesn't work very well.
I'd like that direction, personally. But if they're going to rework roles for generalist purposes, it'd be nice to get some kind of discussion and overview instead of a random tank getting a massive damage boost.

But then the question becomes what "generalist" means here. Does it mean that every character has a fighting chance against every other character? Should I expect that Symmetra will have a way to fight Pharah a year from now? I suspect that the Junkrat changes are partially to help him pressure Pharah.

Same logic. They don't have to change all the tanks just because they want to change D.Va. I don't see why you'd even make that assumption.

If they need to? Again, they didn't make the D.Va change out of the blue. DM felt oppressive to a significant portion of the fanbase. That is what motivated the change. If Reaper gets to be such a problem that Winston is basically being deleted from the game, then yeah, maybe he'll get a gorilla punch then, but that's not the case at the moment atleast for most people.
In case you missed it, Blizzard just fucked a "damage tank" up the ass recently. Then they took a mitigation tank and gave her a bunch of damage in exchange for less mitigation. Does that help you understand why it's an inquiry worth addressing?

Anne

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure tanks deal less damage now than they have historically. There was a point in time where it was generally agreed upon tanks just got so much direct and indirect damage that it was problematic, and then nerfs came through.

The D.Va thing is unique because DM as a mechanic is too strong to base a character around, so they're putting more power and emphasis on mobility, which seems to be the biggest draw to her across different levels anyways.

I'd like that direction, personally. But if they're going to rework roles for generalist purposes, it'd be nice to get some kind of discussion and overview instead of a random tank getting a massive damage boost.

But then the question becomes what "generalist" means here. Does it mean that every character has a fighting chance against every other character? Should I expect that Symmetra will have a way to fight Pharah a year from now? I suspect that the Junkrat changes are partially to help him pressure Pharah.

It's pretty simple? They just want to limit the number of extreme situations where a switch is basically mandatory because the hero can't function in that situation. I would expect there to be some weird niche cases still, but for the most part that's really it. It's already kind of like that already, it's just some characters were designed in extreme directions and they gotta move power around.

In case you missed it, Blizzard just fucked a "damage tank" up the ass recently. Then they took a mitigation tank and gave her a bunch of damage in exchange for less mitigation. Does that help you understand why it's an inquiry worth addressing?

That's a pretty wrong way to look at it. They had two characters with all of their power focused around extremely powerful abilities that were ultimately harmful to the game and they changed them. It has nothing to do with like some role nonsense. It's just straight up Hook and DM are too powerful of tools to base entire kits around.

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure tanks deal less damage now than they have historically. There was a point in time where it was generally agreed upon tanks just got so much direct and indirect damage that it was problematic, and then nerfs came through.

The D.Va thing is unique because DM as a mechanic is too strong to base a character around, so they're putting more power and emphasis on mobility, which seems to be the biggest draw to her across different levels anyways.
Did Reinhardt used to do more damage?

It's pretty simple? They just want to limit the number of extreme situations where a switch is basically mandatory because the hero can't function in that situation. I would expect there to be some weird niche cases still, but for the most part that's really it. It's already kind of like that already, it's just some characters were designed in extreme directions and they gotta move power around.
So you think Symmetra will be able to kill Pharah a year from now?

Browsing r/cow today, didn't know gale_adelade was such a shithead: https://imgur.com/a/F1xDf
"I can tell you have a feminist agenda" is a hilarious line. I'm going to use that ironically with my wife from now on.

Veelk

Banned

Not really. Especially since it's not like Blizzard has been consistent in it's design philosophy anyway. "We don't think one shot abilities are fun. Now here's Doomfist"

...which now that I think about it, doesn't even contradict with what they're doing with D.Va. They nerfed Roadhog not because he was doing too much damage in a given match, but because he was doing too much damage in a single shot. That's why they buffed his clip, firing speed, and reload time when they nerfed the damage. They didn't technically lessen his damage that much per clip, they just wanted to spread it out over time. They even said that their intention wasn't to nerf Roadhog, even if that's what they ended up doing, they just wanted him to no longer 1 shot people at full health.

Since D.Va wasn't and still isn't doing 1 shot damage, no, I'm even more confused why you're comparing them. If we follow the reason for Roadhog's nerfs, D.Va wasn't ever able to do what he does in the first place, so obviously they wouldn't be balanced along the same reasoning. The only similarity here is that, like Roadhog, they're not trying to nerf/buff the character as a whole, but nerf a specific ability. Well, if they don't want to nerf a specific ability, that means they have to buff another one. In that way, similar to how they buffed the other aspects of Roadhog's gun when they nerfed it's damage, they're buffing other aspects of D.Va now that they're nerfing the DM. But beyond the conceptual idea of nerfing one thing and buffing another to induce change without the character equilibrium, there's not much to direct comparison to be had. And the biggest contrast is that they seem to have mostly succeeded with revising D.Va where they failed with Roadhog.

Anne

Did Reinhardt used to do more damage?
So you think Symmetra will be able to kill Pharah a year from now?

He used to have access to a lot more damage and ES ate a massive nerf. I think you're kinda missing the point. Sym isn't going to become a Pharah killer. At the same time, it's likely that you can create a comp with a larger number of heroes that doesn't just auto lose to Pharah that might include Sym.

Blues1990

Well, that's kind of the idea of having a class trinity. A tank who can DPS too much would be OP, you can't be tanky and do a shitton of damage. Works the same way in MMOs, and in DOTA you even have the role of a "carry" DPS which basically the rest of the team has to work around.

I agree, though. This is part of what makes OW infuriating at times -- you really depend on your team. DPS can't do shit either if their tanks and healers are trash. And this means unless you have a good team synergy, you might be in for a shit time.

A lot of DPS I see waste a ton of bullets shooting at easy targets (without having much game sense), until something comes up behind them. They're usually doing this from a flank somewhere that's way out of position.

Maybe I'm starting to develop trust issues. I mean, I feel like I'm a decently competent support/tank player, but I'm starting to realize that it doesn't matter how on point I am if the rest of my team is farting around not killing the enemy team. It's really frustrating, because most of the time I'm basically relying on my DPS to perform well, while I do my best to enable them. But more often than not, I get let down. I'm really not sure what to do about it (other than what I've been doing, which is not playing Season 5 comp).

Browsing r/cow today, didn't know gale_adelade was such a shithead: https://imgur.com/a/F1xDf

I can definitely agree that he's a shithead, but in a way, he's technically not wrong. The competitive gaming scene just isn't very hospitable for women & are more likely to be harassed online. It partly occurs because the abusers are jackasses, but it's also due to the way they consider the marginalization of women an acceptable strategy when it comes to asserting their authority. I don't think it's any stretch to consider that as long as women remain the "other" in online competitive gaming, we'll have a much harder job making progress away from them being treated as such and be more susceptible to feeling unwelcome in this sphere.

Lulz, sounds like every game in gold rank.

Seriously, I wish I was kidding

Three times tonight I've had the waiting game, watching my team pick, ready to jump in and pick Zen if anyone else picks a tank, or DVa if anyone else picks a healer. 4 DPS. Me and the last solo-Qer in a stand-off. He chooses... another DPS.

Fuck. Fuck you. Fuck my team. Fuck Overwatch. Needless to say this a bad attitude to have as I sob and click Zen.

Sadly, I won two of those three, mainly because one of the DPS Fuckstains went tank halfway through, after repeated shit-wrecking was unleashed upon our team as a whole.

Overwatch is a stupid game, at times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The fact that Mei's m1 becomes so useless at higher levels of play really makes me think Blizzard needs to buff the shit out of it

at least buff the hitbox wide and length

jviggy43

The fact that Mei's m1 becomes so useless at higher levels of play really makes me think Blizzard needs to buff the shit out of it

at least buff the hitbox wide and length
Why so we can have the totality of lower skilled players complain about it to no end until they nerf her to hog levels?

(Buff her blizzard lol)

LiK

Played with Buttchin and ended with us stomping the team so bad that 4 guys left separately. We aggressive as fuck in our games so we had more wins than losses. I'll def give DVa her golden guns next time I have enough points. I owed her since S2.

randome

Alright so I'm really sick of losing considerably more SR for losses and gaining less for wins even when I do considerably better than the people I'm grouped with. Is the only way to fix this to just make a new account?

Nimby

Banned
I can definitely agree that he's a shithead, but in a way, he's technically not wrong. The competitive gaming scene just isn't very hospitable for women & are more likely to be harassed online. It partly occurs because the abusers are jackasses, but it's also due to the way they consider the marginalization of women an acceptable strategy when it comes to asserting their authority. I don't think it's any stretch to consider that as long as women remain the "other" in online competitive gaming, we'll have a much harder job making progress away from them being treated as such and be more susceptible to feeling unwelcome in this sphere.

You're right on why women struggle to enter games competitively, but to say "he's technically not wrong" is very dismissive. Dude legit believes women can never be pro or top 500 in OW because they're not as smart, that they will lose to males every time, and women play support because they can't compete on a mechanical level. Nothing of what he said implies what you wrote at all, it's just pure sexism on his part.

If you want to read an excellent article (which is also where I found out about gale btw), Jake from LGEvil/USA team in world cup wrote a very detailed analysis on why women struggle to get into shooters competitively, he makes lots of good points similar to what you said: https://mindgames.blog/2017/08/19/women-in-esports/

Quick edit: My respect for Jake increased tenfold today, nice to have such impressionable people in the competitive scene. He also called gale in text chat "gale_woman_hater" at an alienware monthly once. That was neat.

LiK

Alright so I'm really sick of losing considerably more SR for losses and gaining less for wins even when I do considerably better than the people I'm grouped with. Is the only way to fix this to just make a new account?

Don't bother. Wait to see how SR is given out in S6 before you waste time with alt accounts.

exYle

Played with Buttchin and ended with us stomping the team so bad that 4 guys left separately. We aggressive as fuck in our games so we had more wins than losses. I'll def give DVa her golden guns next time I have enough points. I owed her since S2.

YEAHHHHH bud

Though I wish I got to play D.Va a bit

Blues1990

You're right on why women struggle to enter games competitively, but to say "he's technically not wrong" is very dismissive. Dude legit believes women can never be pro or top 500 in OW because they're not as smart, that they will lose to males every time, and women play support because they can't compete on a mechanical level. Nothing of what he said implies what you wrote at all, it's just pure sexism on his part.

If you want to read an excellent article (which is also where I found out about gale btw), Jake from LGEvil/USA team in world cup wrote a very detailed analysis on why women struggle to get into shooters competitively, he makes lots of good points similar to what you said: https://mindgames.blog/2017/08/19/women-in-esports/

Quick edit: My respect for Jake increased tenfold today, nice to have such impressionable people in the competitive scene. He also called gale in text chat "gale_woman_hater" at an alienware monthly once. That was neat.

I'll go and check that article. Thank you for the link.

And I agree, I should've written my response much more thoroughly, so my apologies for my semi-ignorant response. :<

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't really mind the Hog changes to make him a beefier threat with less damage

BUT they need to put his hook cd back down to 6 seconds to deal with tracer

exYle

Damn, guess I'm a Jake fan now. What an incredibly insightful and edifying article. He even acknowledges arguments made by the 'other side' and makes a reasonable attempt to dispute them.

R0ckman

I'm pretty sure they just figured roadhogs simple one shot was too much payout vs the risk, though to be honest he without a main tank he pretty much gives ult charge and melts in seconds anyway. High level OW play is more about target priority than the kills anyway so I'm not particularly sure why OHK are a big deal, never felt upset by them really.

Yager

Banned
I'm really digging this new Mercy update, watching Ster's stream, she looks more fun to play. He got boosted by an Ana and went nuts with the new ult. I hope they stick with it, her rez ult is the best/worst ability in the game.

Having to hide for your team to die is not the way this game should be played. Bravo Blizzard.

Hey man, I don't know if you went online last night. My connection was shit for most of the day and then my router imploded. Anyway, they're sending me a new one today, and tonight I'll be around the usual time.

Regarding this changes: I really like the Mercy rework. Now playing her seems to be much more dynamic and fun, so that's good. Dva on the other hand...not sure yet. I'm tired of seeing Dva 24/7 in every game, it's a fun character to play as but not fun to play against (at least for me), but I guess we just have to wait and see how it ends up being.

That's not bad. If it were me I'd be down probably 12-16.

Yeah I was actually down until the last 2 games when I got to pick soldier. For wutever reason when I win with him I get like 30+ SR and losses only take 15-20ish.

I really don't want to get stuck in gold again next season, it's like quicksand.

Shouta

Is it hard to connect, but consistent? If so, that might be alright, you just got to git gud with aiming.

If not, Doomfist is dead because the charge punch is his meal ticket.

It's definitely hard to connect, if you aim it correctly yeah it's gonna hit but it requires a lot more precision which is rough for a move that puts you in range to die instantly. Missing because you're just a bit off feels pretty blah as well. He needs something else to compensate.

It's definitely hard to connect, if you aim it correctly yeah it's gonna hit but it requires a lot more precision which is rough for a move that puts you in range to die instantly. Missing because you're just a bit off feels pretty blah as well. He needs something else to compensate.

naw, the way it is now is ridiculous. this makes more sense. you should have to aim the damn thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
lol, won 2 games back to back on Hanamura 'cus the enemy team was too busy attacking just one entrance, so I just snuck around the corner and sat on the point.

The first one all left that choke point to go after me, which allowed my team to flank them and just clean house and the next they just ignored me while they fought my team. Good stuff.

Lucio needs a new ability if Mercy gets one.

He only has amp it up. It's bullshit that his changing from healing and speeding counts as an ability but Mercy's heal and buff doesn't.

Give him a jetpack.

This game has been very generous of late. A lot of wins. Just had a game on Illios. 3-0 win. Captured all three points at the beginning and never even looked like losing them. Everyone working in sync.

Slowly climbing towards Diamond. I won't get it this season, but hopefully next.

_Legacy_

Hey man, I don't know if you went online last night. My connection was shit for most of the day and then my router imploded. Anyway, they're sending me a new one today, and tonight I'll be around the usual time.

Regarding this changes: I really like the Mercy rework. Now playing her seems to be much more dynamic and fun, so that's good. Dva on the other hand...not sure yet. I'm tired of seeing Dva 24/7 in every game, it's a fun character to play as but not fun to play against (at least for me), but I guess we just have to wait and see how it ends up being.

Ah no worries, I had to factory reset my xbox anyway, mistakenly signed up to the xbox insider preview club but didn't like the way it would force my xbox to update even if I was playing online! So I removed it but my Xbox had to reset and took ages. I might be on earlier today for a bit but will definitely be on throughout the weekend.

I like the Mercy rework, it was needed. I just wonder what this means for a lot of Mercy mains who aren't skilled enough to play her more aggressively now. It's no longer effective enough to just sit behind team and hold down a button. DVa looks more interesting now, I was watching some PTR streams last night and she can kill 200hp heroes in seconds with her boost and shoot, punch and missile combos. Her matrix definitely needed nerfing, I'm just surprised it took Blizzard so long.

Top Bottom