• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Prelude.

Clearly my games were going too well, +123 in two days, -11 today. Can't even get a proper win because we stomped them so hard they left.
Four more days to gain 182 sr and get to diamond in solo queue.

Chance

I had assumed this had already been posted lol:

Her gun while using Valkyrie is a bit too strong at the moment. The idea is for it to have some extra juice to be able to use it in more niche situations. Right now, it is strong enough that it is feeling like the primary way to use the ultimate, which isn't intended.

There is likely to be a good amount of tuning happening throughout this PTR cycle to iron this kind of stuff out.

Geoff Goodman.

I didn't think it'd go live in its current PTR state but dayum that was fast.

I did my placement matches just to get the payout at the end and I'm reminded why I don't play competitive. Still won't have enough to get a golden gun with the payout; maybe after next season.

I'll come back to OW when either the new map releases or Halloween event starts.

antitrop

I played 5 games to finish out the season today, but ended up going 1-4.

At least I won against Wraxu for the final match of the season. I'll end Season 5 at 4181 with a 55% win rate (32-26-1). Mebbe T500 next season. Mebbe not.

Just played a solo competitive match where everyone was on mic, except nobody was actually talking about the game. One guy was playing some awful rap song over and over on repeat through his microphone and singing badly with it, then some other guy on his mic was trying to sing louder than the other dude (probably to annoy him maybe I don't fucking know) and then another dude kept yelling at his girlfriend to get him carrot juice, and his girlfriend proceeded to yell back at him. And a fourth guy was just on mic laughing at all that was happening like he was stoned.

I muted all of them. Somehow we still won, I don't fucking know how.

Shredderi

What is going on with this game all of a sudden? Yesterday I got my worst match of my whole career in some random QP match, and today I just got that topped. That kind of stomp is super rare and I haven't seen one like it in any youtube fail video even. I don't feel like I'm even awake right now. No match can go that bad after putting hundreds of hours into this. Hundreds.

dynamic sound update? seems like when youre around the corner the audio is lowered rather than it sound like it's in the same area regardless
also love the death icon.

Skii

Has anyone here had personal experience going from console to pc??? Was it just a pubstomp?

Curious as to how you would typically do. I saw no reason a seasoned console player who understands team comp, counters, map control, etc would do hilariously bad. Just a case of getting used to the higher speed with kb and more precise aiming you'll have / have against you.

Everyone I know who switched usually ends up at their PS4 rank within a season. It's just getting used to the peripherals mainly.

Veelk

Banned
tumblr_ov7i1b5UCm1qm5i12o1_1280.png

tumblr_ov7i1b5UCm1qm5i12o2_1280.png

tumblr_ov7i1b5UCm1qm5i12o3_1280.png

This is true. Valkyrie Mercy is gonna be a hell of a pharah counter.

Also this

Nimby

Banned
The patch for season 6 is going to be complete bonkers. No one will know what synergizes and what doesn't because of how many changes there are. Not that it's a bad thing, it'll throw the meta for loop much more than the Zarya/Rein changes.

Mercy counters early picks with res now. Enemy Widow trick shots someone on your team? Whatever, use res, fights even again. You basically have a tempo res every 30 seconds which is awesome, and extremely powerful.

Valkyrie resets res cooldown, so you can get up to 2 man resses one after the other. Great incentive to use her ult, then push back with your team-wide damage boost.

Owzers

Game 1: played poorly as pharah
Game 2: did mostly well as Winston
Game 3: played well as Rein

Lost all 3, it's all the same to Overwatch.

Wanderer5

Did a bunch of QP today. Won some, lost some, all around time. I had some good fun as Sombra at Hanamura on the attack team, where I ended up getting around and causing some mayhem on the first control point. Got another D.Va PotG lol, and then had obtained McCree's lifeguard skin which eh, still sticking with either Mystery Man or Blackwatch.:p

I think the new D.Va is going to be sweet, even through I feel that maybe the recharge for Defense Matrix should be sped up a bit if it hasn't been changed.

LiK

I played 5 games to finish out the season today, but ended up going 1-4.

At least I won against Wraxu for the final match of the season. I'll end Season 5 at 4181 with a 55% win rate (32-26-1). Mebbe T500 next season. Mebbe not.

0-4 tonight with 5 stack, trio and solo. Tried every combo and people still dropping like flies or have no synergy. I guess it's the end of season curse. No Diamond for the first time. FeelsBadMan

Also, last match the enemy team was saved by Mercy team rez after a tough fight. Fuck that Ult. Can't wait for that crutch to be rekt.

Blues1990

Did a bunch of QP today. Won some, lost some, all around time. I had some good fun as Sombra at Hanamura on the attack team, where I ended up getting around and causing some mayhem on the first control point. Got another D.Va PotG lol, and then had obtained McCree's lifeguard skin which eh, still sticking with either Mystery Man or Blackwatch.:p

I think the new D.Va is going to be sweet, even through I feel that maybe the recharge for Defense Matrix should be sped up a bit if it hasn't been changed.

Tested D.Va, actually really like the changes. I agree that DM needs to recharge a little faster to compensate for only being up for 2 seconds at a time, which is my only issue. That, or they either give her 300 HP/300 Armour or reduce her critbox.

I'm still climbing in solo Q. 2427sr, should be able to get back to plat before season end.

The key has been not tanking or playing support and just going full dps. Well, with some zen sprinkled in.

Play competitive game with a 4-stack that doesn't go on mic. They go three DPS and one tank, so I go healer. Other solo goes Hanzo (surprise). Defense is of course a wash because the team has no awareness of flankers and I'm solo healing, so I die first every time and then the team proceeds to get wiped without me.

On attack, I instalock Tracer, figuring the 4-stack should have the healer since in theory they are communicating with each other but not me. One does go healer...but the other three all pick DPS. And not good DPS, either. They pick Sombra, Doomfist, and Hanzo. And then the other solo queuer goes Genji.

At this point I know we're fucked but I try to make something work by switching to Winston before the match starts. They, of course, do absolutely diddly squat all for two and a half minutes, get no kills, so I just switch to Tracer and dick around the rest of the match because fuck it I'm losing anyway.

Why are these people playing competitive? Why? How do people not have a basic understanding of how to play the damn game at this point?

maomaoIYP

Since changing the ult into basically super saiyan mode can we get corresponding ult reworks for all the other supports?
I think this would be fun for Zen mains (i.e. me)
Transcendance is now 20s
Auto harmony on all LOS friendlies
Auto discord on all LOS enemies
Can fire during ult
All shots are 5 orb bursts

Since changing the ult into basically super saiyan mode can we get corresponding ult reworks for all the other supports?
Transcendance is now 20s
Can fire during ult

Lulz, jesus.

First Zen to ult wins.

Veelk

Banned
Tested D.Va, actually really like the changes. I agree that DM needs to recharge a little faster to compensate for only being up for 2 seconds at a time, which is my only issue. That, or they either give her 300 HP/300 Armour or reduce her critbox.

I think the bolded should be done to literally all heroes that have a disproportionately large hitbox. Seriously, no one seems to like them and they only serve to cheaply underpower heroes, so why have them at all?

Wanderer5

I sure the new Mercy is lovely in Total Mayhem lol. I be glad for team rez to go away through.

Yeah like maybe have it between how fast the skill will deplete and the current recharge speed or something. I hope there is enough noise going on that.

Transcendance is now 20s
Can fire during ult

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

LiK

Just won a solo q where I'm the only tank (Dva/Winston). Triple DPS and one Mercy. Another guy was Junk. Jebus.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Between the Lucio rework and the Mercy rework what does it say about Blizzard's support designs that their attempts to make them more fun for people to play is to make them more dps-like 🤔

LiK

Between the Lucio rework and the Mercy rework what does it say about Blizzard's support designs that their attempts to make them more fun for people to play is to make them more dps-like 🤔

They always say it's more fun whenever they do reworks. I think they want players more active.

tbh it's been the writing on the wall for the longest time. People play FPS games to FPS, not to babysit people.

tbh it's been the writing on the wall for the longest time. People play FPS games to FPS, not to babysit people.

Yeah, I mean...Lucio and Mercy were super passive characters before. Idk if it's better per se to make them DPS' that heal too buuuut, having mercy hide then Rez or Lucio just sorta be a taxi then heal isn't exactly exciting either.

i hope instalocking mercy doesn't become a thing just because of the new changes.

EDIT:

The ONE Time i get to pick mercy. my keybinds are messed up. i didn't even have a button set for Res LMFAO

Blues1990

Yeah, I mean...Lucio and Mercy were super passive characters before. Idk if it's better per se to make them DPS' that heal too buuuut, having mercy hide then Rez or Lucio just sorta be a taxi then heal isn't exactly exciting either.

All the more reason why I love the Lucio rework, as it's a better balance between healing, flanking, and engaging/disengaging. I never liked it when Lucio was a glorified taxi cab (though the likes of Ajax and DSPstanky proved you can have fun with what you have).

I think the bolded should be done to literally all heroes that have a disproportionately large hitbox. Seriously, no one seems to like them and they only serve to cheaply underpower heroes, so why have them at all?

Yep, and I especially despise Winston and Torbjorn's massive head hitbox (and still waiting for Torb's to be adjusted). I'm fine when headshots hit a cranium that is proportionate to a character's head. Not so much when it extends beyond those limits.

Yeah like maybe have it between how fast the skill will deplete and the current recharge speed or something. I hope there is enough noise going on that.

In all honesty, I wish they could ditch the missiles and just do number adjustments for D.Va, so it's a better balance in the long-run. And with how D.Va was adapted for Heroes of the Storm, I wished her Pilot Form had changes so you didn't feel so vulnerable.

Found this old gem from Geoff Goodman:
I understand people are frustrated that she lost a bit of her 'bully' nature before, and really want to play her that way again. The reality is she was too good at too many things and something had to give. I know that, given the choice, many people would sacrifice power from her tools like Defense Matrix if it allowed her to be played in a more super aggressive role like she did for a time. Overall the concept of a giant mech wreaking havok and dealing a ton of damage as an offense or defense hero is a cool one, but D.Va just isn't built for that. That said, clearly there is a strong desire for that kind of hero and it certainly would be sweet to make another mech-type hero in that space, so that's something for us to consider looking forward.

Team Overwatch has no idea what it's doing.

Anne

I mean honestly they were right at the time. The issue was they put too much power into DM and the whole design fell apart. Them creating an entirely new ability for her is a pretty big undertaking, and at least they are trying to do that. Her kit without missiles really is not built to do things like that.

Veelk

Banned
Found this old gem from Geoff Goodman:

Team Overwatch has no idea what it's doing.

It's more that they shifted their priorities.

Before, D.Va was a bully because she was nigh unkillable, was doing good damage, and had DM, and boosters. As a result, they decided (marginally) nerf her HP to make it so that she's not as good at surviving.

This has made her too good at DMing, which is also not an especially form of engagement. So now they're switching things
up. They're nerfing DM, but if they did that, then she won't be good at enough things to stay in the game. So, through the magic of programming, what wasn't originally built for offense now is by the addition of the micro missiles.

It's a deliberate shift in the paradigm, not carelessness, that resulted in the D.Va we have.

Now Roadhog, yeah, THERE they don't have any idea what they're doing.

I mean honestly they were right at the time. The issue was they put too much power into DM and the whole design fell apart. Them creating an entirely new ability for her is a pretty big undertaking, and at least they are trying to do that. Her kit without missiles really is not built to do things like that.
Oh I agree, for sure. I just wish they would be really clear about tanks. If they want to move toward all tanks being able to do damage, I think that's a good thing (same for support). But it's wild to have them do a 180 on design philosophy out of nowhere, especially after gutting Roadhog.

Or their opinions change over time.
Well no shit.

It's more that they shifted their priorities.

Before, D.Va was a bully because she was nigh unkillable, was doing good damage, and had DM, and boosters. As a result, they decided (marginally) nerf her HP to make it so that she's not as good at surviving.

This has made her too good at DMing, which is also not an especially form of engagement. So now they're switching things
up. They're nerfing DM, but if they did that, then she won't be good at enough things to stay in the game. So, through the magic of programming, what wasn't originally built for offense now is by the addition of the micro missiles.

It's a deliberate shift in the paradigm, not carelessness, that resulted in the D.Va we have.

Now Roadhog, yeah, THERE they don't have any idea what they're doing.
It's a shift for one character, though. It's not like they're trying to give all tanks damage. This is just a random one-of for some reason. If they're undergoing a paradigm change, then you'd think they would communicate that...

On the bright side, with DM being worse I won't be as fucked with the 95% of D.va players that think they tank with their face.

LiK

Man, Thursday night has been the sweatiest matches in Comp ever. Win lose win lose lose win etc

One thing that's consistent is I'm constantly getting gold medals for objective kills and objective times. Eh

Top Bottom