• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I haven't won a single fucking game in junkertown yet, yet I consistently get golds in almost every area. I swear to fuck this game deliberately miss-matches me on perpous.

I wish team fortress was on ps4 or some other equivalent cuz I'm so sick of the same shtick over and over again with this hot garbage game.

antitrop

I'd actually say the biggest thing is game sense.
Ult usage, specifically.

I think if there's one thing that you can point to that differentiates ranks, it's how much value people generally get out of their Ults. Something that happens routinely in GM games that doesn't in lower ranks is people coordinating which ults will be used in a fight over voice chat.

I'm sure most people are aware of those situations where someone hears one Ult line go off and suddenly its followed with 4 more and then you lose the next team fight with no ults left. That just happens less often in higher ranks.

Ultimates are the most game-changing part of Overwatch, so I don't think I'm going out on a ledge with this opinion.

randome

Very frustrating, second match of the night and I get a widowmaker that just keeps jumping off the edge. I really can’t seem to catch a break. The fact that I have to lose 25 fucking SR and like 10 minutes of my life is so ridiculous. I don’t feel like reporting even does anything. Fuck you dark_robin17

Looks like they took away the "bang" voiceline. I've gotten D'Va numerous times in Mystery Heroes tonight and I haven't heard it once since today's patch.

They didn’t, I’ve heard it in comp like 50 times.

Talonz

Looks like they took away the "bang" voiceline. I've gotten D'Va numerous times in Mystery Heroes tonight and I haven't heard it once since today's patch.

Pooya

a rez every 30 second is far too good. You take down a tank or something high value with some effort, all of it is gone. Bringing back a rein is so much value people already used ults on. Now this? I hate it...

Gorillaz

I thought mechanical skill was more important with lower levels since there's usually barely any teamwork going on?

Game sense is definitely more necessary at the lower levels then mechanic skill.

edit:Watching Moon's stream apparently he's in a game with a former mercy main Ariana that is playing a terrible winston who use to be a mercy main while a guy on their team tries his hardest to talk her up

He's playing TheRiddler theme right now lol

Schlep

Got to 3315 for a moment tonight before going down to 3295. Can't even complain. Got 67 elims and over 16k damage as Winston. We fell a meter short of tying on a crazy stall by the other team. Mei stalled at the end and saved the day for them.

randome

even though i'm literally on top of the player icon. sometimes mercy doesn't even get off her res. i even aimed my reticle on it but fuck it.

You mean when you frantically hit L2 to get that clutch rez and just end up dying like an idiot? Yeah, has happened to me a couple times too. Dumb!

You mean when you frantically hit L2 to get that clutch rez and just end up dying like an idiot? Yeah, has happened to me a couple times too. Dumb!

i know i wasn't CD this one time. i GA towards the dead body so i can pop the ult. i kept tapping. but fuck it. i had to ult and once i did res finally worked.

idk how i put 5 hours into mercy this season. it's only been like 2 days lol.

This game is awesome.

Genji and Tracer are awesome.

One day I hope I can be good with Doomfist, I love his kit but I still can't get used to his primary fire (no reload) and cooldowns. I would say he has the highest skill ceiling in the game for me, with that hitbox it's do or die.

karasu

This game is awesome.

One day I hope I can be good with Doomfist, I love his kit but I still can't get used to his primary fire (no reload) and cooldowns. I would say he has the highest skill ceiling in the game for me, with that hitbox it's do or die.
It's so rare to see Doomfist given the respect he deserves. People mistake him for some one hit kill machine.

Veelk

Banned
This game is awesome.

I don't play that much doomfist, but a pro who made a tips video said that his Uppercut+Handcannon combination are highly deadly. Find a way to get in, uppercut, fire into them, that'll do tons of damage. Use his seismic slam/charge punch to escape if need be. The charge punch is powerful, but it's not his one trick and if you treat it as such, people will catch on and counter you hard.

These rez complaints make me lul.

Also why does Mercy not get her ult back when she dies within 0.1 seconds of using it yet I do get my ult back in the same situation when it comes to any other character?

Veelk

Banned
I don't necessarily think that Mercy is straight up overpowered, but I still don't see how, when competently played, she won't an absolute must pick. I freely admit I could be wrong, because overwatch is one of those games where you don't really know how things will play out until you give it a month or two for players to adapt. But a revive is such an incredibly powerful ability that I don't see how it's negotiable to exclude it in any team comp. Rez is harder to pull off now, because she no longer has invulnerability and getting in to rez puts her in danger, so it's not like it's absolutely impossible to outplay.

However, that's because people need to relearn how to play her to an extent. Imagine the mercy in question is fairly nimble, can make smart decisions about who to rez, and uses her ult intelligently. How does any healer's abilities compare to that? Zen's discord is powerful, sure, Lucio's speedboost can do a lot, yeah, but Mercy not letting the enemy team die is hard to compare that too.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong. But at the very least, this ability should mean that every team fight has players killing the enemy mercy first and foremost. I mean, it's pretty advisable to go after healers first already, but a Mercy on the enemy team makes her priority target number 1.

randome

It's an ability and not an ultimate, it's going to be used more.

Yeah, I know I know. It just feels weird haha. Not sure if increasing the cooldown is right or not. I do know that a lot of the time now the enemy team knows to wait for that rez if it’s been a while and they annihilate the rezzed player. I got 23 the next game, lol.

I feel like she’s still absolutely necessary. I completely agree with you. It’s a lot harder to pull of the rezzes now, you’ve gotta be right near the icon. Using her will involve more skill, that’s for sure.

Side note, finally made it back to platinum for the second time this season. I don’t wish that on anyone. Between 2400-2500 sr is the worst of overwatch. I need to learn to be more consistent.

Sifl

I've gotten into 2 games in a row with grandmasters 5 stacks in quick play doing full team coordinating wipes. If I wanted this experience I'd just que for competitive. Also I know quick play doesn't really matter, but it's really hard to win now if the other team has a mercy and yours doesn't (implying anyone tries in quick play except for these past 2 games).

It's so rare to see Doomfist given the respect he deserves. People mistake him for some one hit kill machine.

The cheap punch hitbox he had at launch gave him a bad rep.

I don't play that much doomfist, but a pro who made a tips video said that his Uppercut+Handcannon combination are highly deadly. Find a way to get in, uppercut, fire into them, that'll do tons of damage. Use his seismic slam/charge punch to escape if need be. The charge punch is powerful, but it's not his one trick and if you treat it as such, people will catch on and counter you hard.

Yeah I rely too much on the punch. It's basically go in with it, uppercut and seismic slam to get out. I use my primary fire usually by itself and not as a follow up, unless I wasn't able to finish off my target with the punch so I fire before getting out.

I feel like I should be more bold and use seismic slam->uppercut->fire combo after going in with the punch, and then use the punch again to get out or chase the 3rd kill depending on the situation because it won't be on cooldown anymore at that point.

Uppercut into seismic slam to get out became so natural to me but it's definitely not the best way to use it unless it's absolutely necessary, since landing those abilities will give you 60 barriers increasing your sustainability a bit.

Cappa

Banned
I'd actually say the biggest thing is game sense.
Was going to say this. People in masters can get their from being mechanically really good but their game sense is absolutely shit.

To me that's the biggest difference from GM to master this just from a spectator point of view as the closest I've been is one game from masters.
This game is awesome.

I was complaining on the discord yesterday that I can never group up with ps4 gaf because everyone is in the US. They mentioned you but I told them your pretty much on American schedule haha the people that played with you before said you need to break out that Genji more often and I agree. I think you should play tank /dps more when we group up I feel your talent is wasted playing support lol

Veelk

Banned
Aiming on console is broken again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/71m2en/console_aim_assist_bugged_with_video_evidence/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oegPON3QY&feature=youtu.be

"What I am attempting to do in the video is simply move my crosshair straight up and down the pillar I am aiming at. As you can see, the crosshair is constantly tugged in different directions as the auto aim tries to "pull" to the bots as they pass by. This results in the 45 degree angle drifts in aim. I urge anyone to simply use my settings and replicate my test."

Console players get the shaft yet again.

I was complaining on the discord yesterday that I can never group up with ps4 gaf because everyone is in the US. They mentioned you but I told them your pretty much on American schedule haha the people that played with you before said you need to break out that Genji more often and I agree. I think you should play tank /dps more when we group up I feel your talent is wasted playing support lol

Someone has to keep Owzers alive xD

I'm gonna start playing comp more often now since the aiming is fixed. Maybe today we can group up later? Friday was usually the day when we played as a group before until pretty late
if we were winning lol

Aiming on console is broken again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/71m2en/console_aim_assist_bugged_with_video_evidence/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oegPON3QY&feature=youtu.be

"What I am attempting to do in the video is simply move my crosshair straight up and down the pillar I am aiming at. As you can see, the crosshair is constantly tugged in different directions as the auto aim tries to "pull" to the bots as they pass by. This results in the 45 degree angle drifts in aim. I urge anyone to simply use my settings and replicate my test."

Console players get the shaft yet again.

That's how it always was, I find it funny that the dude only discovered it now.

Aiming is now fixed, it's more tight like it used to be which makes the aim assist more apparent. If it bothers him that much he just has to lower it.

antitrop

I've gotten into 2 games in a row with grandmasters 5 stacks in quick play doing full team coordinating wipes. If I wanted this experience I'd just que for competitive. Also I know quick play doesn't really matter, but it's really hard to win now if the other team has a mercy and yours doesn't (implying anyone tries in quick play except for these past 2 games).

I hate GM QP 6 stacks and I'm GM myself.

Cappa

Banned
Someone has to keep Owzers alive xD

I'm gonna start playing comp more often now since the aiming is fixed. Maybe today we can group up later? Friday was usually the day when we played as a group before until pretty late
if we were winning lol
Sure I'm down. Owzers I think get his internet back today or something too. Haven't seen much of batman lately.

Veelk

Banned
That's how it always was, I find it funny that the dude only discovered it now.

Aiming is now fixed, it's more tight like it used to be which makes the aim assist more apparent. If it bothers him that much he just has to lower it.

Oh, okay, I see. I remember it being argued that it's the reason Soldier has a much better advantage over other DPS, since he benefits from auto aim much more than them. It's arguable that blizzard should lower it, or atleast lower it for soldier specifically.

BTW, I currently have 70 aim assist strength and 85 aim assist window size. Is there a recommended setting that I should try out?

Sure I'm down. Owzers I think get his internet back today or something too. Haven't seen much of batman lately.

Yup, he did say that. Batman is usually on, he's a Torb main now, just giving you a heads up.

Oh, okay, I see. I remember it being argued that it's the reason Soldier has a much better advantage over other DPS, since he benefits from auto aim much more than them. It's arguable that blizzard should lower it, or atleast lower it for soldier specifically.

BTW, I currently have 70 aim assist strength and 85 aim assist window size. Is there a recommended setting that I should try out?

Yeah, hitscan characters that require tracking like S76, Zarya and Tracer feel pretty damn good.

I think the aim assist strenght is the same in all modes, it's just the nature of dual-zone that makes it more apparent since the movement is considerably slower in the inner part of the analog stick.

I don't know about recommended settings, just pick what suits you the most.

Atm I'm playing at 85/85 DZ for all characters, everything else at default (100 on everything except aim ease which is at 0). I use thumbstick extenders though, they add some considerable height.

For reference, last time I checked Fankda (pharah main) who is usually the number 1 player on europe plays at 70/70 exponential ramp for all characters. JLED who is the number 1 tracer plays at 53/52 dual-zone. Everything else like me (100 and aim ease at 0).

Cappa

Banned
Also why does Mercy not get her ult back when she dies within 0.1 seconds of using it yet I do get my ult back in the same situation when it comes to any other character?

Na, plenty of other heroes you lose your ult too if you instantly die when you pop it. The only one that I can recall that doesnt is Genji but its a minority of heroes who keep their ult.

Ult usage, specifically.

I think if there's one thing that you can point to that differentiates ranks, it's how much value people generally get out of their Ults. Something that happens routinely in GM games that doesn't in lower ranks is people coordinating which ults will be used in a fight over voice chat.

I'm sure most people are aware of those situations where someone hears one Ult line go off and suddenly its followed with 4 more and then you lose the next team fight with no ults left. That just happens less often in higher ranks.

Ultimates are the most game-changing part of Overwatch, so I don't think I'm going out on a ledge with this opinion.

In my bronze games, we mostly coordinate the order of dps ults to bait support ults like blade>visor or nano visor. And we do dry pushes in 2cp unless we are snowballing hard with ult advantage. Trying to win with minimum ult usage and having the game sense to understand that we have a man advance thus we clean up with no ults needs some work in my rank.

Veelk

Banned
Man, I thought QP was bad normally, but it truly becomes a shitshow when trying to practice Ana there. No one communicates, even when I keep spamming I have nanoboost ready. No one cares if enemies dive me, because I'm apparently supposed to take care of that myself. And while this might just be me being inexperienced and not knowing where Ana's supposed to be, but teammates DO NOT willingly position themselves to be healed. Also, I may have underestimated how much melee being on O is screwing me up, but that's too bad because it's still the best control scheme I can make work with her. QP is a garbage fire no matter what you play, but Ana seems to have it worse off than other characters. She NEEDS her team to work with her.

On the plus side, with that practice session, I'm pretty sure Soldier is now my officially least played character. Maybe bastion, but I had a game or two with him, so he might have surpassed him.

Man, I thought QP was bad normally, but it truly becomes a shitshow when trying to practice Ana there. No one communicates, even when I keep spamming I have nanoboost ready. No one cares if enemies dive me, because I'm apparently supposed to take care of that myself. And while this might just be me being inexperienced and not knowing where Ana's supposed to be, but teammates DO NOT willingly position themselves to be healed. Also, I may have underestimated how much melee being on O is screwing me up, but that's too bad because it's still the best control scheme I can make work with her.

On the plus side, with that practice session, I'm pretty sure Soldier is now my officially least played character. Maybe bastion, but I had a game or two with him, so he might have surpassed him.

But that is good practice for Ana. Aside from mechanic skills and decision making, you should be good at surviving on your own and dealing with the lack of peeling; you won't always find good peeling and perfect team comps in ranked solo queue.

Veelk

Banned
But that is good practice for Ana. Aside from mechanic skills and decision making, you should be good at surviving on your own and dealing with the lack of peeling; you won't always find good peeling and perfect team comps in ranked solo queue.

Unless I get to the point where I am okay tanking my SR, I'm never gonna touch Ana in solo q until they buff her damage back to where it used to be. The skill cap on this hero is WAY too high for me to even attempt in a serious game if she needs 4 shots to put down an enemy, but at the same time that feels like the only place I can actually learn her. So what I generally meant is that I imagine she's more fun when partied up with gaffers in QP, because solo QP is a pit.

The worst play was when I slept a Hanzo with an ult as he was about to unleash it on us. Our Bastion got into turret form around a corner of Hanzo, so only his foot was sticking out and opened fire on him. There weren't other enemies on us, so it's not like he had reason to panic, but somehow he did and ruined everything. It woke the hanzo up barely doing any damage and the Hanzo had the perfect angle and ulted, killing the bastion and 3 other of my teammates. He got play of the game for that.

I feel like I need to be able to call everything out to make Ana work. "I don't have a clear line of sight on you, Orisa, move closer to the payload" "Tracer in the back line", "FOr the love of god, don't wake the ulting nanoboosted genji I just slept, PLZ"

BTW, does someone have the win stats for Ana console vs PC? I remember someone posting them and PC Ana had like double the amount of wins than console.

LiK

Yup, he did say that. Batman is usually on, he's a Torb main now, just giving you a heads up.

Yeah, hitscan characters that require tracking like S76, Zarya and Tracer feel pretty damn good.

I think the aim assist strenght is the same in all modes, it's just the nature of dual-zone that makes it more apparent since the movement is considerably slower in the inner part of the analog stick.

I don't know about recommended settings, just pick what suits you the most.

Atm I'm playing at 85/85 DZ for all characters, everything else at default (100 on everything except aim ease which is at 0). I use thumbstick extenders though, they add some considerable height.

For reference, last time I checked Fankda (pharah main) who is usually the number 1 player on europe plays at 70/70 exponential ramp for all characters. JLED who is the number 1 tracer plays at 53/52 dual-zone. Everything else like me (100 and aim ease at 0).

You guys playing tonight. I logged in yesterday and it was fucking barren. Jumped back into D2.

I just want to add that LiK's junkertown experience yesterday mirrored my own, why does everyone split off? why do they abandon the payload? why did I step out of deathmatch?

LiK

I just want to add that LiK's junkertown experience yesterday mirrored my own, why does everyone split off? why do they abandon the payload? why did I step out of deathmatch?

Yah, I can understand not knowing a new map but it's a Payload and all you need to do is stay on it and keep pushing even if you die. It was literally unplayable. I won one match by playing as Orisa on Attack. That was enough for me for me for the night.

Man, I thought QP was bad normally, but it truly becomes a shitshow when trying to practice Ana there. No one communicates, even when I keep spamming I have nanoboost ready. No one cares if enemies dive me, because I'm apparently supposed to take care of that myself. And while this might just be me being inexperienced and not knowing where Ana's supposed to be, but teammates DO NOT willingly position themselves to be healed. Also, I may have underestimated how much melee being on O is screwing me up, but that's too bad because it's still the best control scheme I can make work with her. QP is a garbage fire no matter what you play, but Ana seems to have it worse off than other characters. She NEEDS her team to work with her.

Eh, why do you expect any sort of communication in QP? You're giving randos too much credit in that mode. If you want to practice in earnest, play in a stack against another stack.

Yah, I can understand not knowing a new map but it's a Payload and all you need to do is stay on it and keep pushing even if you die. It was literally unplayable. I won one match by playing as Orisa on Attack. That was enough for me for me for the night.

Eh, why do you expect any sort of communication in QP? You're giving randos too much credit in that mode. If you want to practice in earnest, play in a stack against another stack.

Yeah play in a stack and blame your teammates; shit talk them on forums.

Top Bottom