• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Schlep

Had a Dorado game a few minutes ago that legit felt like bronze vs GM (high plat alt). I kept shield gen the entire time on defense and my team kept getting wrecked instantly. On attack, it may have been the first time I've ever 'thrown' by breaking out my low silver quality Doomfist. We obviously lost.
I had gold damage and elims

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Doesn't matter what I do, eventually just hit that point in the season where my team isn't interested in playing together. Got like a 6 game lose streak from only playing one comp game a day.

Edit: and just matched with basically the exact same people who locked in the same characters

antitrop

24 players Rez'd in a QP game lol
pkpaUxL.png

snack

Yes. It makes it literally impossible to counter a team wipe, but Mercy can get a little less than the same number of rezzes across a teamfight, and definitely more rezzes overall across a game.
After the new patch, having success on mercy is no longer correlated to those 4/5/6 man rezzes like before. I found that it was a make or break play style, where mercy wouldn’t res just so she could wait it out for a bigger play.

Finally get a win streak, about to finish above where i started, dumbass team insta-locks 5 Offense/Defense on Junkertown and refuses to swap even when we are getting steamrolled. One of them rather just rage quit and lose 50 SR than try to help the team.

Fuck this game.

King's Row point A is probably the only map 5 tanks could work on. The map geometry is just so well set up for deathball compared to other maps that weird tank strategies can work there sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onojovf_Tj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgJPvvLICTU

We did it in more games, but those two were the fastest.

The only time it failed was when Owzers got caught in a trap while charging. In theory if we avoid having him on Rein it should work every time.

Pros don't defend that map at the choke though.

Defense Hollywood. Instalocked zen. asked if i would play mercy instead. you know. people like to check my career profile. and plus we also had a sym. i didn't say anything and just switched.

team was too friendly in chat. almost vomited. i just flew around and healed people. did it so well i got a POTG for it lol. it was the most anti climatic POTG ever.

https://youtu.be/hXQ4K_WIqb4

when the POTG for QP looked better. Battle Mercy who sometimes res people and then resume battle mercy.

https://youtu.be/ZXumrM3xji4

Nepal
Zen First Round, Mercy Second.

Easy holds and actually regrouped and worked well to win both rounds.

got a card for zen with those assist. 59% participation. didn't even realized i did that much first round lol.

2-0 for comp games.

Mercy is still annoying to play against.

Only now, instead of dealing with the disappointment of half/all the team being rezed, you just have to deal with it intermediately, like when you get a pick, and then that pick immediately becomes pointless.

randome

OH MY GOSH I JUST WANT TO WIN. Holy fuck if you’re gonna choose dps then kill bad guys people! And all these shitty hanzos!! Why!!?

Blues1990

I went ahead and put together some gfycats of the types of things I do when I sit around in the training mode for Overwatch. The different heroes I used here all require some different kinds of motions, and this is all very easy to do in training mode because the bots have massive hitboxes. This all types of stuff you should be able to do on the training bots without thinking too hard about at some point. I'll just cycle through heroes and do this for a bit every now and then, then force myself to go for the motions in random QP or DM games.

Soldier tracking (this is kinda shitty but you get the idea)

McCree flicking

Tracer target finding

Genji doing wider sweeping motions

Doing Widow stuff

Just gonna quote you so you can see this and get an idea what I do. You prolly can't just whip things like that yet, but just practice those types of motions in training room sometimes. What I posted is something I would expect any reasonable Diamond~ or so DPS player to be able to do without thinking about it. It's all pretty simple cause the training bot hitboxes are like 5x the size of somebody's head. Just good to practice like that.

Generally curious. How long do you do practice with these routines? I definitely want to improve on my mechanical aiming, and I think half-hour sessions before starting should do the trick?

Anne

Generally curious. How long do you do practice with these routines? I definitely want to improve on my mechanical aiming, and I think half-hour sessions before starting should do the trick?

It just depends; I'm not strict about it really. Sometimes when I'm in a long call with the GF or hanging out in discord I'll just have it on the background a bit. If I'm waiting for people to queue, I just load it up and do it. If I have 20~ minutes to kill and I'm at my PC, I'll just do it. I don't like sit there and hardcore drill it like an exercise or anything, but I'll idly do it like it's a stressball or doodle in front of me. I'd say it can add up to anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour on days where I'm at my PC a lot.

On some days I'll get stuck in a weird mood or get burnt out doing something else and just sit there for an hour or two in front of whatever fighting game I'm into and just make up combos/tech and practice what I do know. Replace fighting game with Overwatch and it's happened before like that too. I'ts how I got really consistent and doing the advanced Genji mechanics, just sitting there practicing use the geometry to do climb cancels one day.

During my mechanics grind where I was playing Overwatch in 4-5+ hour sessions a few times a week, it could end up being an hour+ on some days. I don't think something like that is needed and isn't very healthy unless you're really balanced out elsewhere. That's something if I wanted to go pro I would do, but I'd also divide those days between exercising, socializing, etc. which is hard to do with limited time and isn't worth it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I hope they do another free weekend soon. It's nice being able to play with others around your level instead of facing against premade teams of 4+ stars. :/

The universe hates me. Went Mercy and managed to even up a match to 3-3, start the final round with 2 minutes to get one notch and my router fucking randomly restarts out of nowhere.

Rip 50 SR when at worst I should have drawn.......

Nothing like winning a Low level Bronze Comp Match(because the SR gods screwed me long ago when I had horrible internet) because the enemy team forgot to stay on point.

#JustBronzeThings

Veelk

Banned
I hope they nerf Mercy soon, she's the must pick and you're pretty much asking to lose by not having her...

I've managed to win games without her, but if the enemy mercy isn't stupid, it's super tough. It's at the point where it doesn't matter who shows up in the kill feed until Mercy does, and solo ulting mercy when she ults is the right and smart strategy.

Cappa

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onojovf_Tj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgJPvvLICTU

We did it in more games, but those two were the fastest.

The only time it failed was when Owzers got caught in a trap while charging. In theory if we avoid having him on Rein it should work every time.

Pros don't defend that map at the choke though.
I remember I was part of one and it worked too lol its actually a solid strategy specifically because at our level games people are always defending at that choke.

I want to try the one that's Orisa rein bastion Lucio Roadhog and dva on oasis map that has the tower in the middle of the map. It actually worked in a pro match lol. The Orisa and rein would cover both doors and protect bastion and hog and dva would clean up everything outside lol

paperlynx

I've managed to win games without her, but if the enemy mercy isn't stupid, it's super tough. It's at the point where it doesn't matter who shows up in the kill feed until Mercy does, and solo ulting mercy when she ults is the right and smart strategy.

Yeah it is just about doable, but it's a shame that she has completely invalidated Ana now, not that she was great before the change anyway

Chance

Yeah it is just about doable, but it's a shame that she has completely invalidated Ana now, not that she was great before the change anyway

Playing Mercy, I often feel a good Ana is the best counter to what I bring to the table. A team that uses the heal denial of bionade can ensure I get very little work done.

i think next season i'm going to practice with mccree or some dps character. with the whole mercy changes and all.
speaking of mercy. hours played this season with mercy is about to eclipse zen hours. disgusting.

so what can we expect for OW at blizzcon. i hope a new character or 2 are revealed.

also i subbed to overtrack.gg.

i think next season i'm going to practice with mccree or some dps character. with the whole mercy changes and all.
speaking of mercy. hours played this season with mercy is about to eclipse zen hours. disgusting.

so what can we expect for OW at blizzcon. i hope a new character or 2 are revealed.

also i subbed to overtrack.gg.

Expect one new hero to be announced at Blizzcon. Most likely it will be a healer (THANK GOD).

JWiLL

Banned
Out dueled a top 500 Widowmaker yesterday 2 straight games in FFA, including 3 hook shots, 1 of which we were both mid air trying to hookshot each other.

FFA is seriously the best addition they've ever made in this game. Finally have a mode I can go in to weeknights when I'm too tired to play ranked and legitimately have fun in. Can't do that in QP.

has to be a hybrid because what sort of healing mechanic can blizz think of.

I'd love to see a support character that buffs a teammate in a way that you reduce their cooldowns by a small percentage.

Think like a Zenyatta who has 3 orbs, a single orb decreases cooldowns by 10%. You give one orb to three teammates, or you could give 3 orbs to 1 teammate for a 30% cooldown reduction.

snack

I've decided I'm going to win a FFA match as every character in the roster.

6 down so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjIgRRw2RM&list=PLgAgHFZb0avtYjGwuzqEExwxIwLYOFneW

The challenging part is not being able to switch characters if the comp is bad. I lost so many games yesterday as DVa because we had like 2 Meis and 3 Tracers on the team. :(

Done so far:
Pharah
Reaper
McCree
Bastion
Mei
Hanzo

I think I'm going to try this.

RIP to both of us when we have to win with Lucio and Mercy though.

Chance

I think I'm going to try this.

RIP to both of us when we have to win with Lucio and Mercy though.

Better Mercy with Valkyrie and 100dps (200 with headshots) than Ana with 60 damage and a Nano she can't shoot lol. At least Lucio can drop the beat and maybe get enviro kills on the chateau.

I'd love to see a support character that buffs a teammate in a way that you reduce their cooldowns by a small percentage.

Think like a Zenyatta who has 3 orbs, a single orb decreases cooldowns by 10%. You give one orb to three teammates, or you could give 3 orbs to 1 teammate for a 30% cooldown reduction.

watch them take Lawbreakers' idea of a barrier field that heals and protect oncoming damage. the only thing different would be in lawbreakers no one can shoot through the dome even your own teammate.

Top Bottom