• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Concord. A prescription for Firewalk to save their burning wreck...

How many of the 8 fixes described in the OP do you think could help Concords player numbers?

• 0 - I am certain Concord is DOA.

• 1 - 3 of them are good ideas.

• 4 - 6 of them are good ideas.

• 7 or 8 of them are good ideas.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Concord shouldn't be saved. It should only exist as exactly as they intended so that it reminds them to never do it again. No one asked for this.

No point polishing it. Sony needs more in-house FPS games but not like this. Just give me something old school in nature but with punched up graphics and physics.

The worst part isn't even the game itself, but the internet. Imagine the harassment and hate messages the developers must endure. Some people still haven't learned from what Naughty Dog went through and how toxic people can be online.

Imagine being a developer and subjecting yourself to that. It's hard to understand, especially with all the anti DEI sentiment right now. And let's not forget corporations are driven by profit.

The game can survive for some time with some player base on the console, but new games are arriving all the time and will quickly be forgotten and abandoned by players.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't think what you're saying is the type of support this game needs. If you want to support this game, play and enjoy it right now to pad that player count to stem the landslide. If you can bear to.

A beta being in this state being bad news for its game isn't a new thing made up today. It's a sign of shattered momentum that will usually just compound on itself. People like to play games with a good buzz, not reputations of failure which this one is already saddled with. That can be difficult to turn around, certainly not by calling the one guy who actually gives a crap enough to try saving it a troll lol.

It has yet to be released officially. Its just a beta right now. Pretty pre-mature to say this Playstation console exclusive game needs saving.

rambo-nothing.gif

giphy.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't think completing your work can ever be considered "sunk cost fallacy". XBox may buy into the lazy excuse mentality but look at where it got them. There is something pure and good about crossing the finish line that will reward all involved for the rest of their lives.

In other words, there's no easy way out. There no shortcut home. Giving in can be wrong.
So now the excuse is that the game is unfinished and they just need a little more time to complete that last 5-10%? Sorry man but that is a load of bullshit.

This game was in development for 6 freaking years and I don’t see any signs that it was rushed out before it’s ready.

The problem isn’t that the game is unfinished. The problem is that gamers just don’t want this damn game. It’s releasing into an overcrowded genre, it looks ugly and repulsive as hell, and it feels like it was chasing trends that were already getting stale when it started development 6 years ago.

Neolombax

You're ignoring the reason.

The issue isnt DEI, its how generic it is, exacly why there is no talk about it, because there is nothing to talk about apart from its DEI agenda. The mechanics and gameplay arent bad, they are mid, not worth discussing.

They deserve to be shut down because of how average and weak minded they are.

Also, you're comparing one of the best-seller and acclaimed SP games to a generic OW clone claiming people dont like because of its DEI. TLOU1 had ellie being non-binary and its considered a masterpiece.

People dont hate DEI, they hate when its the priority and being shoved everywhere, in every character, in every game.
A lot of games these days launch with little to no innovation in them. The First Descendant launched as a carbon copy to Warframe, yet it has a huge pool of players. Xdefiant launched as a cookie cutter modern FPS, similar to COD, only that it has connection based match making rather than SBMM, and it has numbers.

And I wasn't comparing TLOU to Concord, read properly.

They deserve to be shut down? Its just a game man, get a grip. No need to carry pitchforks and wish ill upon the livelihoods of others. There are other worse things in this world, developing a bad product doesnt justify all this vitriol.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You're ignoring the reason.

The issue isnt DEI, its how generic it is, exacly why there is no talk about it, because there is nothing to talk about apart from its DEI agenda. The mechanics and gameplay arent bad, they are mid, not worth discussing.

They deserve to be shut down because of how average and weak minded they are.

Also, you're comparing one of the best-seller and acclaimed SP games to a generic OW clone claiming people dont like because of its DEI. TLOU1 had ellie being non-binary and its considered a masterpiece.

People dont hate DEI, they hate when its the priority and being shoved everywhere, in every character, in every game.
I think you’re right. DEI isn’t the only problem but it’s the most in-your-face thing to criticize.

Jeez just remember the reveal:

“Ooooh boy we finally get to see this Firewalk game after 6 years, I can’t wait!”

“Eew it looks like a bad Guardians of the Galaxy ripoff”

“Oh god this quippy Marvel dialog is so cringe and played out, I can’t take it anymore”

“Okay well maybe the gameplay will be good at least….. wait, it’s another fucking 5v5 hero shooter? Why?”

“These character designs are fugly”

“They seriously put their damn gender pronouns on the character select screen?”

It’s like they did everything they could think of to turn gamers off and ensure nobody would even give it a chance. Gamers have violently rejected this game with every fiber of their being. It’s done, DOA. The wokeness is just the shit icing on the shit cake.

Killjoy-NL

Lack of interest =/= boycott

I am not gonna see the new Twister movie but I’m not boycotting it, i just don’t give a shit
And how much drama is er over Twisters being a starndard disaster movie?

I think people just dont want to accept they aren't that much different from Woke/Cancel culture.

Last edited:

unlurkified

Huge rofl after seeing the poll results. I honestly only think a campaign could’ve saved this game. The quality and depth is just that of a tacked-on MP mode in a primarily SP game. Too many good games out there now. Bad first impression =people are gonna move on.

PeteBull

Gold Member
The worst part isn't even the game itself, but the internet. Imagine the harassment and hate messages the developers must endure. Some people still haven't learned from what Naughty Dog went through and how toxic people can be online.

Imagine being a developer and subjecting yourself to that. It's hard to understand, especially with all the anti DEI sentiment right now. And let's not forget corporations are driven by profit.
Bro, those devs, especially heads of the devs who decided on how game gonna look/play/what to focus on- arent some children working underground in the mines for slice of bread.
Those are all rich mofos from most ppl in the world pov, i can show emphaty for ur bottom-row dev/programmer who had no saying in anything and was just told to do his job but not for those woke shitheads putting their fairy tales agenda at the cost of gameplay and overall quality of the game, let them bear consequences of their actions and terrible choices or they will wanna make such a shittard of a product next time too.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Honestly, if this game was a single player/co-op adventure with rogue-lite characteristics about building up a team, taking jobs, on the ground combat mixed with ship to ship combat, negotiations, heists, etc, I'd be much more interested in it.

Doubt. Ugly characters will be its downfall. Look at Flintrock.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Doubt. Ugly characters will be its downfall. Look at Flintrock.

I'm just speaking about the gameplay here. Obviously they'd have to rework the character design and art direction too. Character creator, randomly generated crew each campaign, multiple alien races and archetypes, pre-set character designs that players identify with because it caters to their fantasy, not their reality.

MayauMiao

I'm just speaking about the gameplay here. Obviously they'd have to rework the character design and art direction too. Character creator, randomly generated crew each campaign, multiple alien races and archetypes, pre-set character designs that players identify with because it caters to their fantasy, not their reality.

They can't rework the characters because doing that will get all the woke media will go after Sony for catering to the so called "racist misogynist straight white male" audience.

Sony is basically stuck between a rock and a hard place with Concord.

The only way out of this mess is to let the IP completely die on its own in the pits of DEI hell.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They can't rework the characters because doing that will get all the woke media will go after Sony for catering to the so called "racist misogynist straight white male" audience.

Sony is basically stuck between a rock and a hard place with Concord.

The only way out of this mess is to let the IP completely die on its own in the pits of DEI hell.

Er, okay, but this is a thread about ideas that would make Concord a better game.

A campaign and character redesign could have helped. I'd give some sort of a shit about the characters if I had to play through their struggle rather than watching them quip at each on their boring space ship.

BigBeauford

Where is this organized boycott?
Us autists are pretty good at identifying patterns:

Saints Row
Suicide Squad
Zau
Flintlock
Concord

In general, most of us don't feel the need to express ourselves by spreading fecal matter all over the Internet like the Hogwarts boycott calls. We are, for the most part, quietly doing our research, joining curator groups, and giving the middle finger to developers who have publicly and privately done the same to us first.

hinch7

Its game over. First impressions are important for live service games. The game needed to be exceptional AND offer something new to get people already invested in games like OW to change over. Even if they went free to play it would still fail.

Rn the game is a mediocre clone and mishmash of designs borrowed from different IP's, and has ugly characters and DEI to top it all off. Its dead, Jim. The market is saturated with these types of games that a lot are already content with and franchises they are invested in.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member

Saints Row
Suicide Squad
Zau
Flintlock
Concord

In general, most of us don't feel the need to express ourselves by spreading fecal matter all over the Internet like the Hogwarts boycott calls. We are, for the most part, quietly doing our research, joining curator groups, and giving the middle finger to developers who have publicly and privately done the same to us first.
next dragon age will go on that list too

Fess

None of those.

2 points needed:

1. Single-player story campaign, 10-15 hours, different endings depending on your character choice, like Tekken, have the costumes and other alterations show on the ending video, like Elden Ring.

2. New character designs with eye candy, ladies with booty and hips sell today so just go with that as a first priority, have some muscle guys too. Woke is out. Drop it.

MayauMiao

Saints Row
Suicide Squad
Zau
Flintlock
Concord

Speaking of Zau:

VaO6zDG.jpeg

Frustrated World Cup GIF

When the open beta has such low player counts the game is likely DOA. What's worse is the more people talk about the game being dead the more likely it will die.

The $40 price tag isn't going to help things either. Whose wants to invest $40 in a game that the player base is nonexistent?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So now the excuse is that the game is unfinished and they just need a little more time to complete that last 5-10%? Sorry man but that is a load of bullshit.
Well, we still haven't played the full game yet. Only the beta.
This game was in development for 6 freaking years and I don’t see any signs that it was rushed out before it’s ready.
That's irrelevant. This is where they're at now. The beauty of GAAS is that it makes Shiguru Miyamotos quote obsolete.
The problem isn’t that the game is unfinished. The problem is that gamers just don’t want this damn game. It’s releasing into an overcrowded genre, it looks ugly and repulsive as hell, and it feels like it was chasing trends that were already getting stale when it started development 6 years ago.
Let me ask you...How important do you think progression is in a game like Concord? Then, how would you grade the progression found in the beta?

Well, we still haven't played the full game yet. Only the beta.

That's irrelevant. This is where they're at now. The beauty of GAAS is that it makes Shiguru Miyamotos quote obsolete.

Let me ask you...How important do you think progression is in a game like Concord? Then, how would you grade the progression found in the beta?
They showed off 5 game modes in the beta and all characters.

What else is there to show?

Top Bottom