• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Concord. A prescription for Firewalk to save their burning wreck...

How many of the 8 fixes described in the OP do you think could help Concords player numbers?

• 0 - I am certain Concord is DOA.

• 1 - 3 of them are good ideas.

• 4 - 6 of them are good ideas.

• 7 or 8 of them are good ideas.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Xander Schauffele just won the Open by besting his opponents, just like any other sport.
quote-once-you-play-a-tournament-you-re-playing-against-the-golf-course-you-re-playing-against-jack-nicklaus-133-21-77.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Like i said the same can be said of any sport. Im sure I can find the opposite quote if I tried.
Nope.

There are degrees of PvP. The only time PvP comes into play during golf is when your round is coming to a close, you look at the score, and you make a choice on whether to play conservatively or take a risk. Golf is mostly a game played against yourself or against the environment.

Basketball and 5v5 hero shooters have an exponentially higher degree of PvPness to them.

Killjoy-NL

Isn't it interesting how I lump the following groups together SINGE PLAYER = PvE and MULTIPLAYER = PvP?

Then you list 3 PvE games? I mean, that's interesting right?

Btw, I've purchased skins for Fortnite and The Finals. I care about aesthetics too. But like a basketball player...I only buy Jordans when I know I'm playing in the YMCA rec league.
Destiny is PvP as well.
Also can name Overwatch, Predecessor, Smite, COD and Fortnite.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Destiny is PvP as well.
Also can name Overwatch, Predecessor, Smite, COD and Fortnite.

If you were to partition off your time spent on PvE vs PvP, what do you think the ratio would look like?

I'm a 95% PvP player. I played a ton of sports growing up. I understand the PvP mindset. I genuinely think most of the pushback I'm getting here is from PvE oriented gamers who think they understand the PvP mindset. They don't.

It's why I've always been curious about the "Live Service is a crap shoot" sentiment that gets bandied about here. It's only a crap shoot if you have more difficulty recognizing what you're looking at.

And again, I've listed a ton of uber successful PvP games with terrible character designs. Why does everyone ignore the fact that you can't do the same with SP? Doesn't the conversation end right there?

clarky

Gold Member
Nope.

There are degrees of PvP. The only time PvP comes into play during golf is when your round is coming to a close, you look at the score, and you make a choice on whether to play conservatively or take a risk. Golf is mostly a game played against yourself or against the environment.

Basketball and 5v5 hero shooters have an exponentially higher degree of PvPness to them.
Nope. What you are describing happens on each hole and through out a round, and depending on how close you are in score to, and which rule set you are playing. You play to do better than everyone else, just so happens that takes a certain amount of mental toughness, again just like any other sport.

Darts, Snooker, Curling , Cycling, Running, etc what you just said above could be applied to almost any sport.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nope. What you are describing happens on each hole and through out a round, and depending on how close you are in score to, and which rule set you are playing. You play to do better than everyone else, just so happens that takes a certain amount of mental toughness, again just like any other sport.

Darts, Snooker, Curling , Cycling, Running, etc what you just said above could be applied to almost any sport.
False. There's a ton of pseudo philosophical quotes about how golf is really a game against yourself. You don't find that in more competitive games.

Killjoy-NL

If you were to partition off your time spent on PvE vs PvP, what do you think the ratio would look like?

I'm a 95% PvP player. I played a ton of sports growing up. I understand the PvP mindset. I genuinely think most of the pushback I'm getting here is from PvE oriented gamers who think they understand the PvP mindset. They don't.

It's why I've always been curious about the "Live Service is a crap shoot" sentiment that gets bandied about here. It's only a crap shoot if you have more difficulty recognizing what you're looking at.

And again, I've listed a ton of uber successful PvP games with terrible character designs. Why does everyone ignore the fact that you can't do the same with SP? Doesn't the conversation end right there?
I think 90% of my time spent on gaming is PvP.

Not really sure what you're talking about, tbh. Aesthetics are important in both PvE and PvP.
Gaas primarily makes revenue off cosmetics and that includes PvP.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not really sure what you're talking about, tbh. Aesthetics are important in both PvE and PvP.
Really it's the ingredients for different baked goods. One recipe calls for 4 cups of flour. The other recipe calls for a half cup.

Flour is important in both recipes but significantly more so in PvE games.
Gaas primarily makes revenue off cosmetics and that includes PvP.
Addressed this with Jordan brand sneakers analogy.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

Aren't you acting like Cancel culture though?

Openly wishing and some even demanding for people to be fired and the studio to be shut down, all because their political views don't align with yours, is exactly what Woke and Cancel do as well.

And then people are claiming they aren't acting the same as them...
What made cancel culture unique was the media carrying water for the woke mob. This will never happen for any anti-woke sentiment.

Top Bottom