• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Concord. A prescription for Firewalk to save their burning wreck...

How many of the 8 fixes described in the OP do you think could help Concords player numbers?

• 0 - I am certain Concord is DOA.

• 1 - 3 of them are good ideas.

• 4 - 6 of them are good ideas.

• 7 or 8 of them are good ideas.

Results are only viewable after voting.

winjer

Gold Member
I got sneak peek on first concord dlc character

Kill It With Fire GIF

So which one is it?

I suggest you start with your own posts.
I see you have a difficult time reading. Wanna talk in another language? Maybe itll be easier for you?

The issue with Concord is how average it is, with nothing left to comment apart from its DEI.

First Descendant/Xdefiant do not push or prioritize DEI, and are technically much more enjoyable and not incredibly generic as Concord.

Even if Xdefiant is imo generic, it didnt push DEI, hence, other qualities prevailed like gameplay, AND ITS FREE.

Concord is paid, its priority is DEI, it copies a FREE GAME and just does it worse.

Neither of these are Hero shooters either, which is probably the most oversaturated market apart from Battle Royale, and responsible for the biggest flops in the past years.

DEI is not the reason of failure, but it becomes the main talking point when u offer nothing else.

You speak as if this was some sort of accident, please remember, they paid tens of millions for SBI to ruin their own project.

If you like it so much, just buy 50k copies of it! Clearly the gamers have already chose the fate of this trash.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I see you have a difficult time reading. Wanna talk in another language? Maybe itll be easier for you?

The issue with Concord is how average it is, with nothing left to comment apart from its DEI.

First Descendant/Xdefiant do not push or prioritize DEI, and are technically much more enjoyable and not incredibly generic as Concord.

Even if Xdefiant is imo generic, it didnt push DEI, hence, other qualities prevailed like gameplay, AND ITS FREE.

Concord is paid, its priority is DEI, it copies a FREE GAME and just does it worse.

Neither of these are Hero shooters either, which is probably the most oversaturated market apart from Battle Royale, and responsible for the biggest flops in the past years.

DEI is not the reason of failure, but it becomes the main talking point when u offer nothing else.

If you like it so much, just buy 50k copies of it! Clearly the gamers have already chose the fate of this trash.
You're clearly more emotional about the game than I am. I'm just pointing out your own inconsistencies and how stupid and childish it is to hope for people to lose their jobs.

PeteBull

Gold Member
You're clearly more emotional about the game than I am. I'm just pointing out your own inconsistencies and how stupid and childish it is to hope for people to lose their jobs.
Those woke fkers loosing their jobs means no more games like this one from them- pure profit for the publisher, players and overall gaming market.
When dev studio delivers terrible product we as customers dont owe them anything, when they made ths game they were fully aware it will be done deal once it flops and they kept pushing all the wrong ideas, let them eat that woke shit sandwitch they made now :)

BlackTron

Those woke fkers loosing their jobs means no more games like this one from them- pure profit for the publisher, players and overall gaming market.
When dev studio delivers terrible product we as customers dont owe them anything, when they made ths game they were fully aware it will be done deal once it flops and they kept pushing all the wrong ideas, let them eat that woke shit sandwitch they made now :)

But is the game this way because of the "boots on the ground" in the line of getting fired or because of the execs who told them what to do? And will now take their failure out on the developers.

It's a real question that has to be answered before outright celebrating.

Neolombax

I mean, just dont buy the game, dont play it by all means. The vitriol is just way overboard.

I couldnt care less, you just keep repeating the same thing expecting a different answer, but I think i've been quite clear.

Again, that company spent tens of millions to be in this position, im sure their workers can easily find another job on another studio, concord is being praised for its graphics and animations, so at least you got that going.

Neolombax

I couldnt care less, you just keep repeating the same thing expecting a different answer, but I think i've been quite clear.

Again, that company spent tens of millions to be in this position, im sure their workers can easily find another job on another studio, concord is being praised for its graphics and animations, so at least you got that going.
Sure

You forgot the #1 problem: the character designs.

Face it, while the things you mention could indeed help the game, for people to know about them, they would've needed to at least play the game. With the public beta numbers we know about, the vast majority chose to not play the game. Which means, whatever made them decide to not play, was something in the presentation, the most likely answer being the character designs.

Character designs are the first thing people notice in a game, and it's been at the heart of Concord's problems. While I'm willing to accept that a decent chunk of people simply did not know about the beta whatsoever (and again, I dunno if Concord had a showing at any of the summer PC gaming showcases), something tells me that isn't the biggest reason for the dismal open beta numbers.

At least those on Steam...which are the only ones we know about. And it's not like the game debuted in the Top 10 for PSN player metrics, either; it barely cracked the Top 30 and I don't know if it ever climbed higher than #29 on the charts.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
But is the game this way because of the "boots on the ground" in the line of getting fired or because of the execs who told them what to do? And will now take their failure out on the developers.

It's a real question that has to be answered before outright celebrating.
Ofc top dogs in the studio decided on it, not ur bottom-row dev/programmer, those were told to shut up and do their damn job, like in every company/dev studio- the heads of the team decide on how game gonna look/play/feel etc, its obvious.

PeteBull

Gold Member

Face it, while the things you mention could indeed help the game, for people to know about them, they would've needed to at least play the game. With the public beta numbers we know about, the vast majority chose to not play the game. Which means, whatever made them decide to not play, was something in the presentation, the most likely answer being the character designs.

Character designs are the first thing people notice in a game, and it's been at the heart of Concord's problems. While I'm willing to accept that a decent chunk of people simply did not know about the beta whatsoever (and again, I dunno if Concord had a showing at any of the summer PC gaming showcases), something tells me that isn't the biggest reason for the dismal open beta numbers.

At least those on Steam...which are the only ones we know about. And it's not like the game debuted in the Top 10 for PSN player metrics, either; it barely cracked the Top 30 and I don't know if it ever climbed higher than #29 on the charts.
Imagine kratos or nathan drake looking like those fat lesbians from concord- just that change, anything else would be exactly same, i bet those games wouldnt even make 10% of copies in that case- thats how offputing those woke designs are for ur normal, avg, sane person.

Neolombax

Yea mate, I mentioned this repeatedly across multiple Concord threads (because GAF loves Concord threads), its idiotic of Firewalk to wrap their well made product with turd packaging. It just gives ammo for people to hate it. I can be pretty objective judging it solely by gameplay, but its a GaaS game for heavens sake. It NEEDS people playing it to survive. Why give reasons for people NOT to do just that.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Single player gamers value character design significantly more than multiplayer gamers.
If no problem with character design, then why tf concord had only 2,3k concurent players peak this weekend, and u can be sure few hundred of those players were sellout professional journos too so not actual players who have to buy games, those fkers get them for free :p
Think of it this way, if game panders only to 2% of players, then instead of 100k only 2k wanna play it, with such a tiny number obviously there is no longevity in the game thats whole purpose is to have as big player number as possible :)

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Aren't you acting like Cancel culture though?

Openly wishing and some even demanding for people to be fired and the studio to be shut down, all because their political views don't align with yours, is exactly what Woke and Cancel do as well.

And then people are claiming they aren't acting the same as them...

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
OK fine!

Reduced XP for the losing team and 0 XP for the lowest performing player on the losing team. This will encourage players on the losing team to fight until the bitter end lest ye earn the goose egg of shame.

Carrots plus sticks are more effective than just carrots.
That just incentivises people to quit. You need to reward the losers to make them stick around.

See Destiny: Iron Banner gave no rewards to the losers originally and half the players quit to the point the mode was unplayable.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Aren't you acting like Cancel culture though?

Openly wishing and some even demanding for people to be fired and the studio to be shut down, all because their political views don't align with yours, is exactly what Woke and Cancel do as well.

And then people are claiming they aren't acting the same as them...
If their game sells well/publisher(sony) decides studio is worth it- they can keep funding/keep them, i dont give a damn, its sony's money, not mine.

I have tons of emphaty for the bottom-row devs who had no saying in how this game shaped up to be too, however when it comes to heads of the studio/ppl in charge- fk those rich mofos hard, and fk their agenda, same way i had no mercy for head-devs responsible for how bad diablo4 was- i preordered that game(standard edition but still ).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If no problem with character design, then why tf concord had only 2,3k concurent players peak this weekend, and u can be sure few hundred of those players were sellout professional journos too so not actual players who have to buy games, those fkers get them for free :p
Think of it this way, if game panders only to 2% of players, then instead of 100k only 2k wanna play it, with such a tiny number obviously there is no longevity in the game thats whole purpose is to have as big player number as possible :)

That's like saying "If there's no problem with Kevin Costners fake died hair in Horizon, why did it fail at the box office?"

I can't stand it when 65 year old actors have the hair color of a 14 year old boy, but Horizon failed for a multititude of other reasons. The people claiming Concord failed due to character designs are almost all single player oriented gamers. You're viewing multiplayer through the wrong lens.

Killjoy-NL

Single player gamers value character design significantly more than multiplayer gamers.
Ngl, cosmetics are one of the most important aspects in multiplayer games, imo.

I mean, if I suck at a game, at least allow me to look good doing so.

And honestly, in some games where it's easy to dominate matches, like COD, it's always fun to pick some gay-looking outfit/loadout, just to piss people off.
Because we all know there's people raging for getting own by a f*g.

clarky

Gold Member

And honestly, in some games where it's easy to dominate matches, like COD, it's always fun to pick some gay-looking outfit/loadout, just to piss people off.
Hey! We agree on something today. Good times.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's like saying "If there's no problem with Kevin Costners fake died hair in Horizon, why did it fail at the box office?"

I can't stand it when 65 year old actors have the hair color of a 14 year old boy, but Horizon failed for a multititude of other reasons. The people claiming Concord failed due to character designs are almost all single player oriented gamers. You're viewing multiplayer through the wrong lens.
I forget which thread is which but the character design kept people out and the flaws in gameplay kept the word of mouth bad for the people who weren’t repulsed by the characters. I don’t see how else one could interpret the numbers we saw in the beta. They could fix the game play but people are not going to play characters they don’t want to play as.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They're not. You don't get depth of enjoyment out of character design...like you don't get depth of enjoyment out of wearing the latest Jordan shoes playing pickup basketball. Basketball players get enjoyment on the court by playing effective basketball. They buy the expensive Jordans because they know they'll be returning to the court time and time again. Videogames are no different.
If you suck at a game, you won't be returning. The people who buy Jordans don't keep playing basketball unless they find fun on the court.
It's fun to dominate (to a certain extent) and to troll others. I get why people do that, but it's only because they enjoy the game itself.

clarky

Gold Member
If you suck at a game, you won't be returning. The people who buy Jordans don't keep playing basketball unless they find fun on the court.
This is untrue. SBMM in various forms (for better or worse) ensures you suck or don't suck just as much as you opponent.

Look at the skill brackets in ranked COD for example, the majority of people are fucking shit at the game, they just don't know it because everyone else is also shit.

oC6vh8z.png

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

They're not. You don't get depth of enjoyment out of character design...like you don't get depth of enjoyment out of wearing the latest Jordan shoes playing pickup basketball. Basketball players get enjoyment on the court by playing effective basketball. They buy the expensive Jordans because they know they'll be returning to the court time and time again. Videogames are no different.
What do you mean, they're not?
I'm pretty sure I like looking at nice aesthetics and shiny new things.
I rarely suck at a game, it's just a tongue in cheek comment.
My characters just ought to look good, so I think all criticism about Concords character design is valid.
It's fun to dominate (to a certain extent) and to troll others. I get why people do that, but it's only because they enjoy the game itself.
Yes and part of enjoying the game is enjoying the aesthetics.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member

Even tho i got strong preference for single player titles, its not like i never played multiplayer, i spent tens of tousands playing diablo and wow, bro, and believe me i always prefered taurens and orcs vs blood elf sissy design :p

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is untrue. SBMM in various forms (for better or worse) ensures you suck or don't suck just as much as you opponent.

Look at the skill brackets in ranked COD for example, the majority of people are fucking shit at the game, they just don't know it because everyone else is also shit.

oC6vh8z.png

People with around a 1.0 KD don't think they suck at the game. That's average.

Now show me the quit rates of players with a .25 KD. That will show you a population of players that don't stick with a game.

clarky

Gold Member
People with around a 1.0 KD don't think they suck at the game. That's average.

Now show me the quit rates of players with a .25 KD. That will show you a population of players that don't stick with a game.
Nobody in COD has a 0.25 kda the matchmaking ensures your as close to 1 as possible regardless of skill.

Like i just showed you the majority of players are Bronze/silver, they fucking suck i guarantee it, but will still have around a 0.8 -1.0 KD.

Thats why we are stuck with this shitty system.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you mean, they're not?
I'm pretty sure I like looking at nice aesthetics and shiny new things.

I rarely suck at a game, it's just a tongue in cheek comment.
My characters just ought to look good, so I think all criticism about Concords character design is valid.

Yes and part of enjoying the game is enjoying the aesthetics.
Nobody plays chess because of the beautiful pieces. Chess players would play chess on a napkin because the mechanics of the game are what draw them.

Are aesthetics "part of the reason" why people play chess? Yes, but a very tertiary, unimportant reason. Here's Roblox btw, the 2nd most played game on XBox at the moment...

roblox-dance.gif

Multiplayer gamers don't value character design at nearly the same rate as single player gamers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nobody in COD has a 0.25 kda the matchmaking ensures your as close to 1 as possible regardless of skill.

Like i just showed you the majority of players are Bronze/silver, they fucking suck i guarantee it, but will still have around a 0.8 -1.0 KD.

Thats why we are stuck with this shitty system.
OK let me rephrase for you.

Nobody plays chess, basketball, or multiplayer games if they THINK they suck at the game.

Playing basketball at the YMCA against players at your skill level is infinitely more fun and longer lasting then getting goosegged by NBA level talent repeatedly. This is common sense.

Killjoy-NL

Nobody plays chess because of the beautiful pieces. Chess players would play chess on a napkin because the mechanics of the game are what draw them.

Are aesthetics "part of the reason" why people play chess? Yes, but a very tertiary, unimportant reason. Here's Roblox btw, the 2nd most played game on XBox at the moment...

roblox-dance.gif

Multiplayer gamers don't value character design at nearly the same rate as single player gamers.
One of the main reasons I play FFXIV is good looking gear sets.
Cool looking gear sets is what kept me going in Destiny and ESO.

Cosmetics are the very reasons games like f2p games make billions of dollars.

clarky

Gold Member
OK let me rephrase for you.

Nobody plays chess, basketball, or multiplayer games if they THINK they suck at the game.

Playing basketball at the YMCA against players at your skill level is infinitely more fun and longer lasting then getting goosegged by NBA level talent repeatedly. This is common sense.
Ok. but that's not what you said originally.

Btw I play Golf, and I absolutely fucking suck at it.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
I see a mythological beast in between two females. What's the context?
Its really popular dating podcast where they invite all kinds of females(very few males but it happened too, like bf of some onlyfans girl or husband of reformed las vegas prostitute of over 10k bodycount :p ) to blow their mind on how current dating scene looks from male perspective(host is former liberal guy from commiefornia who is in his 30s and did tons of mistakes like dating feminists), they ask females for some basic info at the start, like age/occupation/dating status etc and discussions/debates get pretty heated from there, including rage quits :messenger_sunglasses:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
One of the main reasons I play FFXIV is good looking gear sets.
Cool looking gear sets is what kept me going in Destiny and ESO.

Cosmetics are the very reasons games like f2p games make billions of dollars.

Isn't it interesting how I lump the following groups together SINGE PLAYER = PvE and MULTIPLAYER = PvP?

Then you list 3 PvE games? I mean, that's interesting right?

Btw, I've purchased skins for Fortnite and The Finals. I care about aesthetics too. But like a basketball player...I only buy Jordans when I know I'm playing in the YMCA rec league.

Last edited:
Imagine kratos or nathan drake looking like those fat lesbians from concord- just that change, anything else would be exactly same, i bet those games wouldnt even make 10% of copies in that case- thats how offputing those woke designs are for ur normal, avg, sane person.

Yep pretty much. People can call it being superficial and there's probably some truth to that, but it's a fact of life: people like seeing good-looking people in their media. Even if they're people they could never look like in a million years, themselves.

If most people want "representation" it's of ideal beauty standards in their media, not a reflection of the average Joe or Jane (especially morbidly obese ones). It's not about them having issues or dislike for those types of folks IRL; real-life is one thing, fictional entertainment is something else. It's okay to have unrealistic standards for works of fiction, they're meant as an escape to begin with.

A lot of big Western creatives have forgotten that.

Yea mate, I mentioned this repeatedly across multiple Concord threads (because GAF loves Concord threads), its idiotic of Firewalk to wrap their well made product with turd packaging. It just gives ammo for people to hate it. I can be pretty objective judging it solely by gameplay, but its a GaaS game for heavens sake. It NEEDS people playing it to survive. Why give reasons for people NOT to do just that.

Concord's a master class in going out of one's own way to disinterest potential customers. I don't even think ALL of the designs are terrible (Haymar, IT-Z, Lennox, Jabali and Star Child range from decent to 'alright', though could use a lot of tuning), but when only maybe a third of the roster at best is semi-visually appealing, that's a massive problem.

I do think the game's best chance is to delay a year and rework the character designs, but it's also likely SIE could simply write it off releasing as-is and moving on to greener pastures. They better make sure Fairgame$ avoids the same pitfalls though.

No dude, MP gamers ABSOLUTELY care about character designs. Go look at any fighting game. Do you know why Tekken became so big in the West while Virtua Fighter struggled? Well besides early VF games being "stuck" on SEGA consoles console-wise, a big reason were the character designs. VF's designs were "good", but didn't have the cool spark of Tekken's designs and this became blatantly clear by the time of Tekken 3.

Why do you think Dead or Alive got attention back in the day? Besides good (if simple) gameplay, it was because of the hot female characters. Why do you think Overwatch (not a fighter but further proves the point) got so big back in the day? It had cool character designs, and yes that includes hot female characters too (Mercy, Tracer, D.Va etc.). You are being willfully oblivious to how important good character designs are to any game, let alone MP-centric ones.

It doesn't matter if everything else in the game is top-of-class: if the character designs are not appealing, the game will likely be DOA.

Paasei

I don’t know what Rivalry is. Didn’t play the beta. I’m not interested in this game at all for 2 reasons:

#1 I don’t care at all about hero shooters in general.

#2 Apart from (maybe) this rivalry mode, from what I’ve seen this game doesn’t do anything different from alternative/similar games. Why pay 40 bucks if others do it for free?

Top Bottom