• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

meshwork

If competitive won't be available on PS4 at the same time as PC I think I'll stop playing. I thought with Overwatch Blizzard has it's big console release and will support all platforms, that's why I bought it on PS4 (since I don't have a PC), learned how to play with different heroes, became pretty good with some of them and was very enthusiastic about competitive mode.

But seeing how the only thing we know about console is Torb nerf which will be available God knows when... Why don't they tell us about McCree and Widow? Or anything else besides Torb? Why even bother to release this game on consoles...

If PS4 will receive competitive "at a later date", I'll probably just watch Seagull streams and stop playing on PS4. I love this game to pieces but Blizzard's support is very bad at this point.

You can thank Sony and Microsoft and their certification process for the delays though. The only way they would release competitive at the same time on PC and consoles is if they hold back on updating PC until Sony and Microsoft get their ducks in a row. Not really Blizzard's fault if the console manufacturers take a few weeks to push out updates. This whole process is also the reason why console versions usually get larger and less frequent patches than PC.

patchday

yeah Bungie's plan to force players to build communities for higher end dungeon stomps worked marvelously for Destiny GAF. people actually have a good reason to be nice in there too (so you can enjoy good groups hehe)

benzopil

You can thank Sony and Microsoft and their certification process for the delays though. The only way they would release competitive at the same time on PC and consoles is if they hold back on updating PC until Sony and Microsoft get their ducks in a row. Not really Blizzard's fault if the console manufacturers take a few weeks to push out updates. This whole process is also the reason why console versions usually get larger and less frequent patches than PC.
No matter how long certification processes can take, they can tell us about changes IMO. I'm sure they've already sent an update with McCree, Widow and competitive mode to Sony & MS. So to just say "hey, mccree nerf is coming" isn't that hard.

And why did they release competitive on PTR one week before full release? That's what bothers me. They knew about certification and did everything to delay competitive on consoles. I would be happy if I'm wrong.

abundant

What it really does is give someone 30% more time to target it and at least get some hits in, if not race it to zero.

So what is the problem with it on consoles? Just more difficult for players to get a bead on it and engage with a controller? The lack of good communication with so many players not having mics? A little column A, lil' column B.

The problem is and always has been hero stacking. A single Torb is manageable on consoles, but a stacked Torb requires teamwork, which can not be found in pubs.

Pratfall

No matter how long certification processes can take, they can tell us about changes IMO. I'm sure they've already sent an update with McCree, Widow and competitive mode to Sony & MS. So to just say "hey, mccree nerf is coming" isn't that hard.

And why did they release competitive on PTR one week before full release? That's what bothers me. They knew about certification and did everything to delay competitive on consoles. I would be happy if I'm wrong.

im not sure you get how this works

patchday

I'm mainly PC overwatch (although I own PS4 too) but they said they would balance the game differently there. for sure there is no need to nerf Widow on console with her having 14% less K/D on consoles then PC. heck, I never thought she needed nerf on PC to begin with

It's a good thing consoles trail PC I don't get the complaints. They obviously needed some tweaking to Tborn though.Reddit proposed very good stats and logical reasons why consoles need that tweak. His Win rate is #1 in a big way. consolers gettin massacred lol

meshwork

I'm sure they've already sent an update with McCree, Widow and competitive mode to Sony & MS. So to just say "hey, mccree nerf is coming" isn't that hard.

And why did they release competitive on PTR one week before full release? That's what bothers me.

What makes you think they've pushed that patch for certification? They pushed competitive to the public test region to test how it works, which implies they're still making changes to it. I would assume they push competitive mode for certification when they are ready to push those changes out on PC, not earlier. If the patch was already in certification, why would they be testing the mode in PTR?

benzopil

I'm mainly PC overwatch (although I own PS4 too) but they said they would balance the game differently there. for sure there is no need to nerf Widow on console with her having 14% less K/D on consoles then PC. heck, I never thought she needed nerf on PC to begin with
I spent 18 hours with Widow on PS4 and even I agree that she needs the same nerf. Her bodyshots are too powerful and Zenyatta is useless because of them. I feel bad for all Zenyattas I kill lol.
What makes you think they've pushed that patch for certification? They pushed competitive to the public test region to test how it works, which implies they're still making changes to it. I would assume they push competitive mode for certification when they are ready to push those changes out on PC, not earlier. If the patch was already in certification, why would they be testing the mode in PTR?
Well they already told us about changes for this season (like 4 minutes matches instead of 5) and they probably won't change anything after that. So maybe (maybe!) they sent this update a couple days ago.

AaronMT86

Also, now it seems like every single game is a sweat match post level 100. Nearly every match I join has a player with a star under their name and while these games usually end up being more fun they seem really try-hardy for casual. Maybe these will thin out a bit with when Competitive Mode arrives.

Jintor

Just had a match on route whatever where my team couldn't even get the cart to the first checkpoint. What a useless pack of muppets, holy shit. Two hanzo and a dwarf on offence. Wankers.

Kilvin

Borrowed the game from the ol' Library on Friday, been playing it the last couple of nights and really enjoying it.

I've taken quite a liking to Mercy, my most played thus far. I've always found I'm better in a supporting role in these types of games.

I damn near retired McCree after the nerf, can't lie. I can still get kills with him and shit, but I'm better off picking Solder(faster mobilty, self reliant health boost, long range burst damage), Reaper (the Tank killer, gets back to objectives faster with teleports, self reliant health boost with orbs and shadow forms out of bad situations), Pharah(supreme height advantage, big damage, verticality and escape situations), or even Genji(way higher mobility, gets to different areas with ease, can pick people off from a distance or up close, can escape bad situations with slash/reflect/double jump). I feel like with McCree if I dont murder them real quick I'm pretty fucked solo cuz of his roll is useless for escapes and his mobility getting back to the point is trash. Like why even pick this dude anymore lol

Grief.exe

It's a good thing consoles trail PC I don't get the complaints. They obviously needed some tweaking to Tborn though.Reddit proposed very good stats and logical reasons why consoles need that tweak. His Win rate is #1 in a big way. consolers gettin massacred lol

Widow needed a nerf, the Widow meta was extremely strong.

I damn near retired McCree after the nerf, can't lie. I can still get kills with him and shit, but I'm better off picking Solder(faster mobilty, self reliant health boost, long range burst damage), Reaper (the Tank killer, gets back to objectives faster with teleports, self reliant health boost with orbs and shadow forms out of bad situations), Pharah(supreme height advantage, big damage, verticality and escape situations), or even Genji(way higher mobility, gets to different areas with ease, can pick people off from a distance or up close, can escape bad situations with slash/reflect/double jump). I feel like with McCree if I dont murder them real quick I'm pretty fucked solo cuz of his roll is useless for escapes and his mobility getting back to the point is trash. Like why even pick this dude anymore lol

Agreed.

Reaper/Soldier just have more sustainability.

If you feel like you can't reliably get headshots with the pistol then your McCree is not going to do too well. I think that Mei is the same but the delay and travel time makes it even harder. McCree really feels the lack of self heal though and seem to do best when he is played like he is joined at the hip with support or tank.

Zemm

If anything the Widow nerfs didn't go far enough on PC. She still dominates the game more than any other class in the right hands.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you feel like you can't reliably get headshots with the pistol then your McCree is not going to do too well. I think that Mei is the same but the delay and travel time makes it even harder. McCree really feels the lack of self heal though and seem to do best when he is played like he is joined at the hip with support or tank.

I actually feel like my mccree play is suffering because I'm used to leading shots with mei. :p

DrArchon

Had a sick win on Hanamura, great team, all very nice to play with.

Next match it reshuffles the teams so that I'm with the guys who lost last match. WTF?! It just left all the teams the same except for me. Fucking bullshit.

JustinBB7

I've been heavily achievement hunting past few days, just got smooth as silk. Was not as hard as I thought it would be, and I'm not even a good widowmaker.

R0ckman

The thing about him now is that he depends more on team synergy now more than ever, the more they kickass you can, before he was almost a one man army.

charsace

Playing in random matches is still frustrating as fuck. People refuse to push on capture. I can get two kills and get to the point, start begging people to push and they will still be weaving back and forth at the choke point. So many games lost because people are treating this like it is COD still, too worried about K to D.

Satch

Banned
another mccree koth game FeelsGoodMan

Double mccree that time too

so sick of reaper we had to go back to the good old days of flashbanging everything in sight

Yeah, same here. I just split my McCree time on Soldier/Reaper, whichever makes more sense versus their comp.

cHinzo

I just replaced McCree with Roadhog. Same kind of pick-off potential to remove the enemy team's threats. Not worth it to play McCree.

Had a sick win on Hanamura, great team, all very nice to play with.

Next match it reshuffles the teams so that I'm with the guys who lost last match. WTF?! It just left all the teams the same except for me. Fucking bullshit.

The game will always do team-balancing. Might be that this was a 5v5 with you and another random thrown in.

R0ckman

They didn't account for the stun not lasting long enough to ensure a fan kill on Reaper, who McCree is meant to be a counter to.

I'm seeing all sorts of stuff, Reapers everywhere including hacked reapers on two ocassions, one didnt even try to hide his trigger bot last night.

peakish

Losing some games today but have had a ton of fun. Have been playing more Reinhardt lately to learn his timings, he's damn fun once you're in the zone and swinging dat hammer.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Have been playing more Reinhardt lately to learn his timings, he's damn fun once you're in the zone and swinging dat hammer.

The best when the hammer connects with those players jumping up and down thinking that'll stave off the ass whooping that hammer brings them

My favorite 3 class kills to cherish are Tracer, who just flies up in the air and that British Ugh! expelling before death
Hanzo and his bow and that smirk just washing away
Mercy who just eats the hammer and falls graciously to a defeated state

Apathy

I'll take that any day, getting stunned with a flashbang from behind of all things and dying to fan was the worst.

peakish

The best when the hammer connects with those players jumping up and down thinking that'll stave off the ass whooping that hammer brings them

My favorite 3 class kills to cherish are Tracer, who just flies up in the air and that British Ugh! expelling before death
Tracer is lovely to knock the fuck out. Comes with her speed and thinks she's something cool on the payload, then FACE

So satisfying.

Unless she's got the pulse bomb :(

abundant

Conversely, it feels so good when you can out maneuver Reinhardt as Lucio. I love being a huge pain in the ass now that I've gotten used to Lucio's wall grinding skill. Last night, I had multiple games where the other team could not kill me.

Zaventem

Mccree needs to be faster or some more health. Least amount of mobility of all the assaults.

He has the same 5.5 movespeed as most heroes and he doesn't need to be in your face like reaper to get kills. My suggestion was increased fan accuracy another asked for increased stun one or the other works. He now has less burst on his fan than reaper which is fair.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I hate that if Mcree triggers High Noon and doesn't get anyone or cancels it, you still get back to 50% of your Ultimate

Played a game where our team stopped his High Noon going off 4 times, its stupid that if he doesn't trigger, he saves 50% and gets to spam it

Sorry Mcree if you can't use your High Noon right go back to 0% like everyone else

The McCree fix should have kept the power of Fan the Hammer, but made it less available to use. Just put it on a cooldown, or else take the free reload off the roll. Instead, they've made it sort of useless against any heroes with >200HP, most notably Reaper, who can vape away before all of the bullets land.

You can still get Tracers and Genjis fine, provided they get close enough and move predictably enough. And his left click is still fantastic, but simply not as reliable as Soldier's. Who also has a self-heal and sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom