• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a hero could be interesting if they played with the cooldowns a bit more. Similar to how ults charge based on performance, and genji's dash resets on an elim, maybe have a character with a 12-15 seconds ability that loses it's cooldown faster when you deal damage or heal or something of that nature.

Also, out of all our characters, we don't have a single support that can burst heal a solo target (roadhog can only heal himself). So maybe there could be a healer who has a 6 second heal burst (heals target for 200) that has a DMR/semi-auto rifle whose fires at a rate of around 1 shot per second and every shot landed reduces your heal cooldown by 1 second. So you could at max heal for 200 every 3 seconds or so. Perhaps that's good enough, maybe could be a bit better or worse.

The heroe's weakness would be weakness to close range heroes as their ROF is really low. Damage comparable to mccree per shot but at a lower ROF in exchange for more range.

Another unique point could be overhealing. But it would work similar to sound barrier in that overhealing wears off on it's own.

A potential ultimate would turn the semi-auto into a infinite ammo + fully automatic rifle for 5 seconds, allowing for a lot of damage and burst healing.

I'm fine with the Torbjon nerf, my main gripe was as soon as it (instantly) auto locked on It would kill me quicker than I could it when playing as Soldier or Pharah

I think a hero could be interesting if they played with the cooldowns a bit more. Similar to how ults charge based on performance, and genji's dash resets on an elim, maybe have a character with a 12-15 seconds ability that loses it's cooldown faster when you deal damage or heal or something of that nature.

Also, out of all our characters, we don't have a single support that can burst heal a solo target (roadhog can only heal himself). So maybe there could be a healer who has a 6 second heal burst (heals target for 200) that has a DMR/semi-auto rifle whose fires at a rate of around 1 shot per second and every shot landed reduces your heal cooldown by 1 second. So you could at max heal for 200 every 3 seconds or so. Perhaps that's good enough, maybe could be a bit better or worse.

The heroe's weakness would be weakness to close range heroes as their ROF is really low. Damage comparable to mccree per shot but at a lower ROF in exchange for more range.

Another unique point could be overhealing. But it would work similar to sound barrier in that overhealing wears off on it's own.

A potential ultimate would turn the semi-auto into a infinite ammo + fully automatic rifle for 5 seconds, allowing for a lot of damage and burst healing.
Honestly that just sounds like a better Soldier 76 lol.

I'm fine with the Torbjon nerf, my main gripe was as soon as it (instantly) auto locked on It would kill me quicker than I could it when playing as Soldier or Pharah

Right. But now he's going to be worthless. I definitely wanted a nerf for him, but nothing this severe. Just a delay on the turret lock-on would have been fine.

I don't know if you guys have ever tried playing the AI on hard-but it's so fucking ridiculous.

How did you even manage to get into a lobby on vs A.I hard?

As long as it is the A.I, you can probably cheese it with a good team. I notice that since the update, the A.I has started stacking ults and making legitimate push attempts on normal.

Dalek

How did you even manage to get into a lobby on vs A.I hard?

As long as it is the A.I, you can probably cheese it with a good team. I notice that since the update, the A.I has started stacking ults and making legitimate push attempts on normal.

You should have seen the enemy killcams. Bastion would just immediately turn around and aim at the sky at the exact place I teleported to with Reaper. Insanity.

if anyone thinks tracer is bad now, just wait for the torb nerf.

say hello to flankers-r-us

Tracer is unbearable.

patchday

earned two levels rocketting me to L31. up to bout 670g coins. will be able to buy a legendary skin- eventually (already have 1 legend tho)...

oh yeah this team was funny- no healer and was a man down

ZKPx7RO.jpg

usually always get a support on my teams. that one was funny tho

Honestly that just sounds like a better Soldier 76 lol.

Soldier 76 would likely have much higher DPS and much more burst damage due to helix rockets. Plus he can heal himself + has sprint.

S76 has 170 dps off his weapon alone. Which makes his 1 second burst around 290 (not counting headshots, but a direct helix hit). It wouldn't be even close to those figures. The numbers I was thinking of probably need to be higher for the new hero to be useful.

The new hero would in fact out heal s76 for sure. Being primarily support, I would want that to happen. The main benefit of the heal over s76, for example, is that it's range is higher and hits all at once. That also means timing is important as a weak heal on mercy wastes no cooldown, but different story clearly with a 3-6 second cooldown.

You should have seen the enemy killcams. Bastion would just immediately turn around and aim at the sky at the exact place I teleported to with Reaper. Insanity.

Tracer is unbearable.

That sounds bad. It reminds me of "hard mode" in some crappy shooters. Nothing more I hate than 100% accurate A.I that knows where you are all the time. And then there is the "smart" A.I that has a flanking algorithm of attacking you from every angle--ignoring that the A.I being dumb is a compromise for outnumbering the player. Yeah it is a dilemma but most developers don't get it right imo.

ElyrionX

I didn't know you can view your teammates and opponent's statistics. I had this guy who picked Widow on Lijiang Tower. Two of us on the team told him not to pick Widow but he wouldn't budge. After the match (which we lost of course), I checked his profile; 79 wins, 197 games played. WTF. I didn't even know such a low win rate is possible.

Kito

Reinhardt shield and Soldier cleans them up.

Why complicate a strat with 2 characters when D.Va alone can kill them. I don't how it is on console, but on PC if there's ever a problematic turret, Widow or Bastion I always take them out easily with D.Va.

Fly to the target with defence matrix and then kill them in seconds. Am I missing something?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Damn, we're in Community now? Always feels like it's the "end of the hype train" when OTs get tossed over here.

Anyway, tonight had an absolutely unbelievable game.

I'm D.Va, playing with randoms on Hanumra. We're attack.

I rocket boost into the top left whole in the wall. Take out a Torb and his turret. Take out a bastion.

Zip around into the point. Take out a Widow.

Reaper comes in. I take him out.

I have now killed 4/6. I end up capping the whole point entirely by myself. Sure, my five teammates distract the last two. But they couldn't kill them. Unbelievable.

So then I boost over the gap on the left. Launch my D.Va ult.

I get three kills. Surely there isn't anyone else back there and ready yet. So I hit Q, suit up again, go in. And I die to a Winston.

Nobody else even attempts to hit the point.

By the end of the game, I do 12,000 damage and have something like 36 eliminations. I took out every single Torb or Bastion on my first try entering. And we couldn't win. Just boggles my mind.

mbpm1

Damn, we're in Community now? Always feels like it's the "end of the hype train" when OTs get tossed over here.

I rocket boost into the top left whole in the wall. Take out a Torb and his turret. Take out a bastion.

I have now killed 4/6. I end up capping the whole point entirely by myself. Sure, my five teammates distract the last two. But they couldn't kill them. Unbelievable.

I get three kills. Surely there isn't anyone else back there and ready yet. So I hit Q, suit up again, go in. And I die to a Winston.

By the end of the game, I do 12,000 damage and have something like 36 eliminations. I took out every single Torb or Bastion on my first try entering. And we couldn't win. Just boggles my mind.

Team games can really suck sometimes

Kito

I chose Symmetra on attack and a random was swearing at me in the voice channel the whole game. We lost (nobody could deal with the Torb turrets) but I ended up with potg. Potg. I wish I could see his reaction. He left the lobby the next game.

I used to quit when I see the friggin tanks and everyone else on the side of the map while I am the only one getting sniped and bombarded on the payload with a support character or Pharah/Widow. Then I learned about the quitting penalty.
I am encountering less TDM players after reaching level 25+ though; team comps and arrogant Hanzo mains are my gripe with the community. I got into low level groups yesterday when most of the playerbase was inactive, and they were extremely horrible in regards to the objective. You will see people subtly ignore objectives at all levels, but those were blatantly not getting near them. One of them stood watching one of the opponents take the objective in front of him and didn't bother jumping in for overtime; I went back to heal Reinhardt in spawn room and I saw that idiot standing there (I asked them nicely that we need a healer and spammed need healing with critical health). It was hilarious; I think I got into that lobby because I was playing at an awkward time (barely found that lobby actually). It is today when matchmaking decided to piss on me by putting me in Durado against two level 90 Symmetra and someone (torb or someone else who forced that shutdown). My team couldn't get past the chokepoint and they didn't flank from the right balcony despite me telling them to group up there; we lacked a sniper too, so it was a team comp problem.

Even if you have players who give a damn about the objective, it is hard to find people who don't commit common mistakes of rushing solo or jumping one after another to a death trap choke point instead of counter-picking and working their way in with ults. It happens at all levels, and only a small number of high level players take positions and cover all routes. The worst thing though is getting stuck to a role when being unable to counter-pick; I get depressed when we lose to silly characters like torb and bastion even though countering them is easy. You either have your tank smashed by them, or counter and have no one pushing with you (people still think bastion is there lol).

Pharah is easy to counter though. You need a pocket mercy and a competent tank to distract the enemy.

pharah has 0 damage falloff and is winston levels of mobile thanks to concussive blast. you definitely dont need a pocket anything to deal insane dps with her.

not to mention pharahs number 1 counter took a pretty huge hit recently.

pharah has 0 damage falloff and is winston levels of mobile thanks to concussive blast. you definitely dont need a pocket anything to deal insane dps with her.

A good Soldier-76 will never let you fly. Genji is very dangerous in certain maps too, and a mobile Widow will take you down as well (unless you like to "nest" somewhere where Pharah can knock you off). I am not implying that you can't play her solo (I do a lot), but you will hit a point in general player skill level where you will get countered immediately. she works very well with pocket Mercy where you do insane damage and can flank without looking for medkits--insane pressure of peaking and shooting.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Pharah can still get handled by a Soldier first and foremost and there's always a Roadhog if they're not too careful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pharah is easy to counter though. You need a pocket mercy and a competent tank to distract the enemy.
The problem with keeping a Pharah in check is based off how much they expose themselves. If they rocket jump to a spot where they can take 200HP (or 200+heals) in damage before landing or re-positioning that's a bad Pharah.

For most maps a good hook is all you need, or any two hitscanners shooting her at the same time.

Any good one will be next to a wall (if in air), checking which characters are where on the map, and seeing if they can be picked out of the sky or not, pressuring, and when they take too much fire, conc blast away from any danger.
Wait, they cut stacking for Ranked?
Competitive tournament rules are not ranked played in game

duckroll

Don't understand the Tob nerf. Maybe it really is just a console problem. On PC stacking isn't a problem, it's more like a joke. Gimmick teams are annoying for a short while, and once you change heroes to counter, it's over.

I play Tob a lot and honestly a Reinhardt, turret, Bastion combo in a high point watching a chokepoint is so much more effective than stacking Tobs.

NHL94

Banned
Don't understand the Tob nerf. Maybe it really is just a console problem. On PC stacking isn't a problem, it's more like a joke. Gimmick teams are annoying for a short while, and once you change heroes to counter, it's over.

I play Tob a lot and honestly a Reinhardt, turret, Bastion combo in a high point watching a chokepoint is so much more effective than stacking Tobs.

It is just on console since FPS on them is booty.

benzopil

Looks like people on console don't know what "counter" is. Enemy team has 3 bastions? No one will ever switch to Genji or Widow, they'll play Tracers and Winstons until match is over. Enemy team has 6 Genjis or couple Symmetras? Only I switch to Winston. Enemy team has 6 Torbs? Looks like you lost, nobody will try to counter EVER.

Maybe that's because of lack of communication, maybe because of more casual players, I dunno. It's not about aiming that's for sure. That's why this nerf won't do anything.

Satch

Banned
this game is so depressing

just one person doesnt do their job and it all goes to shit right at the end when it was practically in the bag

kek xd

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fuck me, it's the most infuriating night of the game for me, and it has nothing to do with the play other than blizzard being unable to find me a fucking local server.

duckroll

Looks like people on console don't know what "counter" is. Enemy team has 3 bastions? No one will ever switch to Genji or Widow, they'll play Tracers and Winstons until match is over. Enemy team has 6 Genjis or couple Symmetras? Only I switch to Winston. Enemy team has 6 Torbs? Looks like you lost, nobody will try to counter EVER.

Maybe that's because of lack of communication, maybe because of more casual players, I dunno. It's not about aiming that's for sure. That's why this nerf won't do anything.

But what about playing with friends though? I have really bad experiences with randoms on PC too, but whenever I group up with 2 or more friends, it no longer becomes a problem. If at least half the team knows each other, it makes no sense that there would be no communication, even without voicechat I would assume friends know what to expect from each other... Why would this be different on console?

Yam's

Right. But now he's going to be worthless. I definitely wanted a nerf for him, but nothing this severe. Just a delay on the turret lock-on would have been fine.

A delay on their lock-on would be a lot more severe as it would allow people to shoot them from corners without taking any damage. Flankers could also destroy them without any reaction. 30% seems reasonable, a lv 2 turret will deal 39.2 damage per second versus 56 damage per second now, so they will still require a bit of cooperation (having a mercy that will now outheal its damage for instance) to be dealt with. Molten core will still deal 126.7 damage per second + the fact that they keep their armor buff and self-damage increase.

NHL94

Banned
Just lost to 5 Torbs and a Mercy because no one wants to fucking listen to strategy. I actually got talked down to because I tried to talk about LoS and apparently thats "nerd ass geek talk" and that I needed to go get laid. Fun.

Neither do PC honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom