• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I feel like competetive isnt really that good, it feels exactly like quick play. EXACTLY like it, no one wants to go healer, team goes tard and wont adapt other team will. No body really goes to the point all the time, its complete shit.

It just came out like 6 hours ago lol.

Wanderer5

So if I understand it correctly, the flip the coin thing is to determined who goes attack and defense for sudden death and that the defense team can be at a disadvantage?

ramyeon

I feel like competetive isnt really that good, it feels exactly like quick play. EXACTLY like it, no one wants to go healer, team goes tard and wont adapt other team will. No body really goes to the point all the time, its complete shit.
It hasn't even been out a day yet.

If anything, the long match times (And intensity of matches) separate it from Quick Play from what I've heard. The meta will be a work in progress.
So if I understand it correctly, the flip the coin thing is to determined who goes attack and defense for sudden death and that the defense team can be at a disadvantage?
Yes, but as I understand the Attack team is at a disadvantage. They only have enough time to really get one shot at taking the point.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NICE GAME VOLVO
pa3ot1Z.png

Wanderer5

If anything, the long match times (And intensity of matches) separate it from Quick Play from what I've heard. The meta will be a work in progress.

Yes, but as I understand the Attack team is at a disadvantage. They only have enough time to really get one shot at taking the point.

Ooh that true. Yeah maybe sudden death just doesn't cut it beside possibly king of the hill (?) at this point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Played Volskaya 5 rounds each for a total of 10 rounds, some kind of revolving hell. I was so happy to see the game say that the 5th round for the enemy was their final time. We won on our 5th, but on there's I was able to stop their Overtime on the 1st capture point by throwing myself on it.(I think? Seemed also timer related.) Just comes across like a crap mechanic.

I mean I'm glad we beat them that round because of that, but it's just like the coin flip. Not good.

Also got my rating! 54.

I only join ongoing matches in placement tests. I joined a match of a team losing 0-2. We have Torb who refuses to switch; I pushed fucking hard with Reinhardt and got gold medals. We got up to 9 seconds and lost defending route66. Midmatch, he tells us to kill Widowmaker and I told him to switch to Widow or something (we don't need his torret).

R0ckman

Its just longer hell to me, my qeues were taking over 2 minutes so I kept getting compromised match ups. No one offering strategies, tons of king of the hill matches where people trickled couldn't switch off healer asked but got no response for trade off. I'd not rudely offer tips in chat people would ignore, if someone mentioned anything it sounded like they were playing baked out of their damn minds. Too much gold on objective time. I think I'm done for a few weeks.

Last match I was in I accideny chose Mei, we had no healer, no tank, a Genji on defend payload. I waited to see if someone would say something, after 20 seconds I just left.

ISOM

The same idiots in quick play are in competitive especially since it just got released. I went 2-8 with a bunch of teams that didn't know shit. I don't expect it to get significantly better until 1) I rank up more and 2) a couple of weeks from now when all the casuals stop playing competitive.

terrible

Banned
man with the way you guys bitch about teammates and shit you'd figure this was your first online multiplayer game lmao.

I think the main thing is unlike in most shooters you really can't carry a team in Overwatch. You're more likely to be able to carry a team in 64 player Battlefield than in this game, that's how much you rely on your team.

ISOM

I think the main thing is unlike in most shooters you really can't carry a team in Overwatch. You're more likely to be able to carry a team in 64 player Battlefield than in this game, that's how much you rely on your team.

Yeah, team play is way more important in this game than most online shooters. I can't remember a game like this since TF2.

duckroll

Yeah, team play is way more important in this game than most online shooters. I can't remember a game like this since TF2.

L4D2.

Charger = Reinhardt
Spitter = Widowmaker
Smoker = Roadhog
Hunter = Genji
Tank = Winston
Boomer = Mei

Witch = Dva

R0ckman

And yet when we got our ranks: 59 59 59 58 57 48....what? Had almost the exact same stats as a teammate playing the same role in most games. cool.

Its based also on performance isnt it? I was on fire for most of my matches but I have half loses. I shoukd have stopped at my first rando lost but I wanted to gamble.

TheYanger

Its based also on performance isnt it? I was on fire for most of my matches but I have half loses. I shoukd have stopped at my first rando lost but I wanted to gamble.

Yes, but we ran two tanks and we had almost identical stats. Regardless there's no way it's a fucking 10 point spread.

TheYanger

Isn't it also based on your MMR from quick play to some extent? There's a bunch of factors that seem to go into calculating it.

I play with the same people in quick play most of the time...I mean, it seems like it's overly fucking with me because of SOMETHING but who knows what.

At the end of the day, everyone starts at 50, I don't see how 8-2 is POSSIBLE to go down points. Something is wrong with it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
7-3
One loss to our team DC
One loss to me dc'ing for 30s but coming back and winning
One win to enemy team DC (Think we woulda crushed them anyway it was in first 3 games)
pityPFt.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Unless Blizzard has some kind of crazy AI, this is a mental bias (confirmation bias? I forget the exact term) that happens in almost every MOBA or competitive game.

Think about it. What are the odds that Blizzard would, on average, put horrible players on just your team? What about those 6 people you played against? Why should they get good players, but Blizzard single you out?

In fact, the other team has 6 random players you can't control, and your team has 5 random players. If you always play at a high level, your team has a guaranteed good person, and the other team does not. So shouldn't it favor you?

frye

Went 7-3 with a buddy tonight and we ended up with 63 and 64 which I'm pretty happy with. Last two games we got matched up with dudes who locked us the fuck down but all in all I'm pretty happy with competitive so far. Quick play has been seriously making me madder than I've ever been at video games before lately and comp at least has that extra level of effort/coordination from people

1-5 in placement matches. I don't care anymore; I want to get done with this and then start playing with groups or just see my ranking/PTR. That could be a problem (grouping with people who have high PTR) because of my score; I wonder what my ranking will be out of 100.

Oh yeah; I am getting grouped with Torbjorn again in which the team is losing 0-3. Fuck Torbjorn; I hope he gets deleted from the game. I hope I get 1-9 too so that I am convinced that I am absolute trash and stop giving a fuck about the game.

Regardless of that rank sabotage, I got a sneaky play of the match that I will try to upload. I sneaked behind the enemy team with junkrat and unleashed ult just few meters behind them.

Anyway, this implies I suck at the game. Therefore I should play casually as possible and not squeeze my brain just thinking of improving because I am going nowhere.

R0ckman

Unless Blizzard has some kind of crazy AI, this is a mental bias (confirmation bias? I forget the exact term) that happens in almost every MOBA or competitive game.

Think about it. What are the odds that Blizzard would, on average, put horrible players on just your team? What about those 6 people you played against? Why should they get good players, but Blizzard single you out?

In fact, the other team has 6 random players you can't control, and your team has 5 random players. If you always play at a high level, your team has a guaranteed good person, and the other team does not. So shouldn't it favor you?

My queues have been almost 3 minutes for about 2 weeks, infact I've played with two people who asked me why the qeues were so long with them. After so long your MMR is sacrificed.

In comp I got nervous because it was doing the same thing. No one going healer but me, no one offering help, people being toxic in the match rather than actually trying to help, it was pretty bad. Had a match where players were very bad about not finishig their kills. Not like they died, they left characters they were fighting with like 32 health to go fight someone else? :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I bet your internal quick Play MMR affects how the system first views you, I think. Pretty standard for these kinds of things. It helps to have a baseline and letting everyone start out at 50 means a lot of people won't be having fun.

7-3, calibrated at 51.

In one of my earlier matches I saw a 45 and a 50 so I assume my internal was somewhere around 47.

Yes, but we ran two tanks and we had almost identical stats. Regardless there's no way it's a fucking 10 point spread.
If you were playing two different tanks it would still make sense. If one person is Zarya and the other is Reinhart then Zarya should usually have more damage done and eliminations based on her abilities. By contrast Reinhardt should have definitely blocked more damage.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well at least it only took 1 game to hit rank 60 I guess? Think I'll pass on playing until DC's are fixed in ranked.

7-3, saw level 56 in game 3? level 55/56 in game 10 so I'll guess I was around 55 when I started.
Carry my mmr plz Haz.
Carried 2-0 ez

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would've been 49 without Haz's help.

Danke mr haz

Blizzard

Banned
How do the losses work though?

Ouch, right after placing at 48, it turns out each win gets me maybe 1/20 of a point, and each loss gives me -19/20 points. This is with pure solo queue.

Does this even out after a while? That's going to make it almost impossible to climb.

This seems really crazy. It's not like I've been doing ranked for a while so there would be a MMR mismatch.

Patch notes: "Removed "Avoid This Player" option from the game UI"

Wait, what? I liked that feature.
I was using it to avoid people who type racial slurs or seem to be cheating etc., but it hadn't worked in ages. Blizzard disabled it early on, saying people used it to avoid skillful players.

TheYanger

If you were playing two different tanks it would still make sense. If one person is Zarya and the other is Reinhart then Zarya should usually have more damage done and eliminations based on her abilities. By contrast Reinhardt should have definitely blocked more damage.

It was pretty close aside from him playing roadhog and me not. Comparing hero to hero straight up, the stats actually favor me for both rein and zarya as well. Something is fucked. You're free to ask for any stat comparison.

EDIT: Again, either way, the baseline average is 50, we know that, and while I could buy it matching against really low mmr opponents and thus drawing you down from 50 if you were winning but your opponents were awful, sure. But they obviously weren't, or if they were it didn't affect the other 5 peopel on the team. I don't see any reasonable explanation for the same 10 matches to result in everyone else going up 8 points while pushing me DOWN two. 8 wins 2 losses. DOWN two points from the baseline.

Ken

1-5 in placement matches. I don't care anymore; I want to get done with this and then start playing with groups or just see my ranking/PTR. That could be a problem (grouping with people who have high PTR) because of my score; I wonder what my ranking will be out of 100.

Oh yeah; I am getting grouped with Torbjorn again in which the team is losing 0-3. Fuck Torbjorn; I hope he gets deleted from the game. I hope I get 1-9 too so that I am convinced that I am absolute trash and stop giving a fuck about the game.

Regardless of that rank sabotage, I got a sneaky play of the match that I will try to upload. I sneaked behind the enemy team with junkrat and unleashed ult just few meters behind them.

Anyway, this implies I suck at the game. Therefore I should play casually as possible and not squeeze my brain just thinking of improving because I am going nowhere.

What rank do you think you should be?

R0ckman

I will say that the teams I fought only one person stood out to me. A very good Tracer, but other than that the other teams I fought were not very good, but they adapted, my teams did not or they did not understand how to effectively use their heros.

I remember a match where I wiped most of a team with Soilder ult, and my team got melted by one Symmetra on the point who came out of hiding, 4 of my team members including the tank... Thats not good match making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom