• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

To be fair, if the sym ambushed the tank first and built up enough charge she could just melt a group.

Thats possible, our Reinhardt was very unaware, it was a circus, Mercy got off of him to chase a Tracer by herself, the Tracer was getting bold so I told the Reinhardt a simple swat would deal with her if she got to close but I got no response. It basically left me to deal with her.

Blizzard

Banned
Not only am I losing -18/20 or -19/20 points per match, but...the last match I went Zarya.

After some 20 minutes or so of struggling through the ice factory defense map, I had triple gold medals, 2 quadruple kills, 53 eliminations...and I didn't even get POTG. We lost in coin flip sudden death.

I have lost every single sudden death thus far.

*edit* The worst part is how LONG the attack/defend maps take compared to all other ranked maps.

peakish

It was pretty close aside from him playing roadhog and me not. Comparing hero to hero straight up, the stats actually favor me for both rein and zarya as well. Something is fucked. You're free to ask for any stat comparison.

EDIT: Again, either way, the baseline average is 50, we know that, and while I could buy it matching against really low mmr opponents and thus drawing you down from 50 if you were winning but your opponents were awful, sure. But they obviously weren't, or if they were it didn't affect the other 5 peopel on the team. I don't see any reasonable explanation for the same 10 matches to result in everyone else going up 8 points while pushing me DOWN two. 8 wins 2 losses. DOWN two points from the baseline.
Have they said the baseline is 50?

Blizzard

Banned
Not only am I losing -18/20 or -19/20 points per match, but...the last match I went Zarya.

After some 20 minutes or so of struggling through the ice factory defense map, I had triple gold medals, 2 quadruple kills, 53 eliminations...and I didn't even get POTG. We lost in coin flip sudden death.

I have lost every single sudden death thus far.

*edit* The worst part is how LONG the attack/defend maps take compared to all other ranked maps.
The very next ranked match, I get...the same map.

OMG I just had an amazing match on Gibraltar. We made someone rage quit from the other team; I smashed their Reinhardt really hard with my 230 ping Renihardt.

Oh the fuckers quit. All of that will go to waste.

Edit: We won 6vs2. Best matchmaking.

duckroll

I'm still a couple of levels away from 25, so it might be another day or two before I can play the mode. Can someone give me a rundown of what Competitive Mode actually is, what it means to a new player, and what I should expect? I normally play the game with partial parties rather than a full slate of 6 people. What does that mean for me?

mstevens

Apparently the lockdown achievement (and hopefully the trophy) will be fixed with the upcoming update. I've done it legit at least 5 or 6 times, but I hope it doesn't take forever to get it again. How often would you say you guys are able to hold off the offense from capping the first point?

I'm still a couple of levels away from 25, so it might be another day or two before I can play the mode. Can someone give me a rundown of what Competitive Mode actually is, what it means to a new player, and what I should expect? I normally play the game with partial parties rather than a full slate of 6 people. What does that mean for me?

Ranked basically starts with ten placement matches that assesses your skill to group you up with people of similar stats later on. Competitive has different rules/rounds, more severe punishment for quitting, and the absolute worst samples of the generic pool.

As long as you have at least one sane person with you in a group, you might be okay. It is better to have at least three people with you. Ranked is more serious than quick play, and your actual rank/PTR changes when you win actual ranked matches (not placement test).

Ken

longer games cause 1) you play both attack and defense and 2) every checkpoint you gain in Attack = 1 overall match point, and 3) there are also tiebreakers/sudden death (the former can lead to another tiebreaker round for the other team and so on)

other than that and the fancy ranking number I don't think there's much else. there's no drafting heroes or anything like that.

Blizzard

Banned
Instead of normal attack/defense rounds, there are different rules:

• KOTH maps are played best 3/5 round wins.
  • AD maps are played with 10 minutes on each side, take turns doing objectives for points, sudden death if tied.
  • Payroll maps are played doing objectives for points, sudden death if tied.

Objectives give one point. Sudden death means a coin flip to determine the attackers, and if they get the first objective they win.

If you win you gain some number of ranked points, and if you lose you lose some number of ranked points. In theory, after you play a lot of games you get matched against competitive players of your skill level.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Apparently you can calibrate up to 77 based off how hard pro teams stomped pug games

50 = 5k MMR confirmed

It's hard to tell what the curve looks like. I imagine 50 = 3k and 70 = 5k. Surefour still carries the fuck out of his games, though.

Once Seagull et al really get to grinding I'm expecting 80s/90s which will be the 7-8ks of Overwatch.

Soma

oh lord. 34-0 with my bae sym (finally getting the Undying trophy). i almost feel dirty.

also just got the arctic skin for zarya. guess i know who i'm gonna be playing with for a while next!

Schlep

Played a round on offense tonight on Volskya against two bastions, two torbs, a mercy, and a junkrat. Least fun I've ever had on this game.

ISOM

Played a round on offense tonight on Volskya against two bastions, two torbs, a mercy, and a junkrat. Least fun I've ever had on this game.

Three straight games on quick play where my team decided they wanted to mess around and went 4 Hanzo then 4 Reinhardt then 4 Pharoah. Like seriously wtf. I quickly exited everyone of those because i'm just not in the mood for that shit.

duckroll

Thanks.

Do I have to do all 10 placement matches continuously, or can I do like 1-2 at a time? Do the placement matches all have to be with the same team/group as well? Hopefully not...

I think Symmetra on Volskya would be more painful than a Junkrat. Lol

ISOM

Apparently you can calibrate up to 77 based off how hard pro teams stomped pug games

50 = 5k MMR confirmed

Someone went 10-0 in placement and placed at 48 so 50 is not the average. I'd say you are pretty decent at rank 55? Hard to tell right now.

What is MMR btw? I've been around Overwatch since beta and still don't know some of the lingo.

duckroll

You can do whatever mix of players and times you want.

Awesome. So basically once I hit 25, I just need to form teams with people I know to do the placement matches and get a rank for the season. Then after that it would be a matter of playing Ranked matches when there are more people online and we feel like having a "serious" match rather than a quick match. Right? Cool.

Haly

Do I have to do all 10 placement matches continuously, or can I do like 1-2 at a time?
You can do them whenever. It'll wait for you as long as the season lasts.
Do the placement matches all have to be with the same team/group as well? Hopefully not..
Nope.

TheYanger

I was 7-3 or 6-4 and got 49. Also looks like this patch fixed the broken Lockdown achievement.

Sorry, the way I wrote it the first time was more correct, but basically:
Yes, your mmr affects your ranked placement in the sense that it uses your QP mmr in order to determine who you're playing against in your placement matches.

Playing your placement matches against low ranked people, even if you win them all, isn't going to put you in the top 50% of players. That makes sense

What doesn't make sense, is to play the SAME ten games as your teammates, and get a hugely disparate score.
If my MMR was low and it placed me vs low players, fine, that makes sense. But even if my MMR was low, I was playing the same teams as everyone getting rank 58-59 were. The outcome within competitive should be the same, since aside from determining who you play initially your QP mmr should never enter into anything in the first place.

Haly

It makes sense if you assume Blizzard starts people off with a temp rating based on their QP performance, which goes up or down depending on placement performance. In all likelihood you weren't bumped down to 48 but bumped up to it.

TheYanger

It makes sense if you assume Blizzard starts people off with a temp rating based on their QP performance, which goes up or down depending on placement performance. In all likelihood you weren't bumped down to 48 but bumped up to it.

But that doesn't actually make sense to do either, unless quick play is going to continue to influence your competitive games, it's an arbitrary distinction. It should affect who it matches you against in placement, but your placement matches should determine your rank. Ergo, your placements should be the same if you play all 10 together. Also, again, our skill levels aren't that disparate. We mostly play together, and our win rates and everything else are all basically the same.

If we queue separately and I'm lower to begin with and thus play my 10 games against worse players, and we got the same w/l record, absolutely I should be ranked lower, but once we're playing the exact same games against the exact teams it doesn't make sense to do that.

Edit: And even then, in our group I have better winrates to begin with. I'm not going to claim we literally only play together in QM, clearly not, but if we play together often, and I'm significantly worse than them (as evidenced by a 48 starting ranking vs 59-57), how would I have a better W:L in QM? It should mean when we play together it's driving my MMR up by virtue of us generally winning when together, and that thus I'm losing to better players when I'm losing, and winning against better players when I'm winning. It also then means the wins I'm getting outside of our group play should be counting LESS for MMR. None of that makes any sense when you add it up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder how long until we get the LoL dynamic backlash where people who Solo Q harbor huge resentment to those who play in groups and claim ranking means nothing when you can potentially be carried by better players.

I won't lie I'm pretty annoyed we lost this one in competitive mode.

UgGXQPt.jpg

Trickster

Yeah, I am not playing competitive while it's this shit system. Holy shit who dreamt this garbage up? Nonsensically capped mmr and matches that go on for fucking ever. And lets not forget teams picking the most frustrating shit to play against just to win

Defuser

Awesome. So basically once I hit 25, I just need to form teams with people I know to do the placement matches and get a rank for the season. Then after that it would be a matter of playing Ranked matches when there are more people online and we feel like having a "serious" match rather than a quick match. Right? Cool.
So better learn your heroes properly!

I am officially done with placement testing; I've gone 2-8. The last match was horrid; the idiots refused to listen. I told them we don't need three defense characters, but they refused to listen. I made a great push with Reinhardt and captured the first point easily. They just stuck at the choke point of the second objective--refusing to attack from the right or left. I signaled that my ult is ready and only one of them stacked his ult with mine. We lost both attacking and defending (I took bastion and torb who were giving them trouble but they didn't attack even though I told them).

The second round? Two motherfucking stupid Torbs. I told them we will get steamrolled if they don't switch and if no one goes tank. Then we actually get steamrolled.

A new record for PTR: 33. This has to be the lowest recorded score; I had four quitters but I doubt the matches would have gone differently. Now I can officially leave ranked and the game as well. I will play it from time to time, but I don't find any benefit from trying to play it seriously since I suck big time.

I will assume that I suck and live with that. Here are my quick play stats:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/pc/eu/Cybernaton-2825

F8BBCE1E5C7693378D2DE384EAD3D0D39AF0292B

C5D9DC75CFD36F35F4F64BC70FE3121B3A0D002F

The MVP who got smashed by Genji.
6FCB8ABADDC4499194FC8E3C2FD4B68B50777331

Trickster

Holy shit, you get a single ranked point if you win? You'd have to play the quick play equivelant of like a 1000 or more matches to get enough for one golden gun skin. Are Blizzard fucking serious with this game patch?

I can do this with my eyes closed.

So just got done soloing my placement matches and it was a lot of fun. All my games were pretty close and competitive, so no complaints really. Maybe I just got lucky with teams who knows, but I had a great time. Ended up 52, so eh whatever I don’t really care, I just want good matches. I also did it with zero voice chat.

Ketch

Holy shit, you get a single ranked point if you win? You'd have to play the quick play equivelant of like a 1000 or more matches to get enough for one golden gun skin. Are Blizzard fucking serious with this game patch?

Pretty sure you get points as a prize at the end of the season.

Like your reward for finishing rank 50 would be like 50 points or something.

They said it would take most players multiple seasons to unlock a skin. And only the best players would be able to do it in one season.

Trickster

Pretty sure you get points as a prize at the end of the season.

Here's what kaplan said about that on the official forums http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745774574#post-6 -
Re: Golden Guns... They are kind of expensive. But remember, at the end of a season players will get a lump sum of Competitive Points. The 1 point per win is not how we expect you to be earning these guns. Currently, this is tuned so that the top players should outright get a golden gun at the end of the season while the rest of us might work our way part of the way there.

Top players gonna get enough at the end of a season for a skin, the rest of us plebs don't get even that.

This.System.Is.Fucking.Hot.Garbage.100%

Haly

Now that I don't need to care about my quick play stats, I'm just going to practice Genji.

Watch the fuck out!
dac15_stab.gif
dac15_fade.gif
disappear.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I am genuinely quite surprised how naive this ranked mode is, in 2016, with many many many examples of good ranked modes. Overwatch is not a feature rich or champion rich game either. How big is the dev team on this?

Defuser

So if the best players can get golden skin within 1 season, I bet those hovering 40+ to 60+ are able to get one skin with 2/3 seasons.

I wonder how long until we get the LoL dynamic backlash where people who Solo Q harbor huge resentment to those who play in groups and claim ranking means nothing when you can potentially be carried by better players.

Anyone who played Overwatch for more than 10 minutes and thinks that Blizz cares even slightly for the experience of solo queuers is frankly deranged.

duckroll

Does anyone really care about a golden weapon skin? That seems so tacky. Why doesn't Blizzard put more effort towards stuff that people might actually want to spend more money on? Like new character models skins instead of just texture swaps. I remember spending money every week on Dissidia 012 when S-E was releasing new music packs and character costumes which were actually new models. That shit was awesome. They have 21 characters here, they can do the same thing.

I am rank 34 now. So I have to win 30 straight matches without losing once to be great at the game? P.S those I just got grouped with half placement test guys, and the other is players around my level. I don't think I can play with anyone in GAF or the people I added to form a group in ranked.

I think that my account is permanently fucked. This is hilarious; I hope those who quit and went AFK get banned.

Blizzard

Banned
When I first started playing post-placement, wins would get me 1/20 of a point, and losses would get me -19/20. Now it's closer and closer to gaining and losing 1/20 each way.

Nyx

Here's something I'm interested in: How many heroes have you played more than an hour with? And how many have you played more than four hours with?

Better late than never!

4+ hours:

Lucio (10)
Symmetra (9)
Soldier 76 (6)
Winston (6)
Zarya (6)
Roadhog (6)
Reinhardt (6)
Torbjorn (5)
D. Va (4)

1+ hours: