• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're only nerfing Torb on console. He's actually almost too weak on PC in my opinion - but his kit is the kind that can just be obnoxious and toxic if it's pushed too far, so I would never advocate any sort of buff on PC.
Torb needs a rework, to be honest. Taking down a turret a turret shouldn't be this frustrating, even if it's not that good. Being able to instantly place another is fucking stupid and will make sure he's never allowed to be good.

I believe double Torbs still exist on PC as well. I might double dip for PTR and playing with more Gaffers. there's a real drought of players on PS4 when I go play.
I'm suffering that too (MST). My shyness to cold join the community parties doesn't help either. I have the pc version and game on the low settings (115 fps), but my video card gets up to 86°. Once the specs for Civ 6 are announced, I'm going to rebuild the PC for my wife to play on higher settings. I love the Atmos settings on PC (It really helps with situational awareness). The main problem for me is that I've been a joypad gamer since the Xbox's Duke controller (last mouse and keyboard FPS experience was Marathon), so I really struggle with the movement aspect of the keyboard (aiming with the mouse is god tier). I haven't reached level ten on PC, but I'm level 50-something on PS4. The loss of skins doesn't bother me, but may impact your decision to double dip.

LiK

I'm suffering that too (MST). My shyness to cold join the community parties doesn't help either. I have the pc version and game on the low settings (115 fps), but my video card gets up to 86°. Once the specs for Civ 6 are announced, I'm going to rebuild the PC for my wife to play on higher settings. I love the Atmos settings on PC (It really helps with situational awareness). The main problem for me is that I've been a joypad gamer since the Xbox's Duke controller (last mouse and keyboard FPS experience was Marathon), so I really struggle with the movement aspect of the keyboard (aiming with the mouse is god tier). I haven't reached level ten on PC, but I'm level 50-something on PS4. The loss of skins doesn't bother me, but may impact your decision to double dip.

Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to try and play with an Elite controller and see how well I do against mouse players. Kinda curious.

Torb needs a rework, to be honest. Taking down a turret a turret shouldn't be this frustrating, even if it's not that good. Being able to instantly place another is fucking stupid and will make sure he's never allowed to be good.

I like the idea of a Turret costing 50 armor scraps and you spawn with 50 out of 200.

Maybe decrease the time that armor scrap materials stay around before despawn.

Give Torb the ability to make 1 turret right off the bat, but have to work for any others.

That or upgrading a turret to level 2 costs 50 scrap.

FYI, if you cap your framerate a bit, say to 90 fps, your temps should decrease. It seems that Overwatch is very efficient at utilizing gpus. It's a game that definitely can cause heating issues if the cooling isn't great.

Also, Torb is very situational on PC. His turret needs to be strategically placed, which also means it only does damage in specific situations. A turret that isn't tucked away is destroyed in seconds. Turrets that are the sole aggressor are destroyed in seconds. They are only really effective as an extra weapon in a team fight where it isn't the main threat. If he was nerfed, especially with that huge 30% damage decrease nerf, he would be utterly useless.

he's easy to take out on PC cuz mouse aiming is way faster than consoles for the reaction times. which is pretty true.

It's also easier to wiggle back and forth behind a wall and shoot without taking too much damage from the turret since Console seems to use some form of acceleration.

I like the idea of a Turret costing 50 armor scraps and you spawn with 50 out of 200.

Maybe decrease the time that armor scrap materials stay around before despawn.

Give Torb the ability to make 1 turret right off the bat, but have to work for any others.

That or upgrading a turret to level 2 costs 50 scrap.
I imagine something more along the lines of making the turrets a tad harder to kill but you can only repair them at the cost of scrap or that killing a turret puts his ability to place turrets on a moderate cooldown.
Why aren't they nerfing him on PC?
He's a joke in a game where Pharahs, Widows and Hanzos can actually aim at the turret before the turret kills them.

xaosslug

since they are reducing Torb's turret damage they need to also reduce the hammer time (ha!) also. I mean he's just not viable in an active firefight as it is unless he's being heavily protected while setting up or you aren't being noticed. And he should be able to use his armor on the turret as well to insta-heal as opposed to hammering, etc. Something!

I swear, there have been at least 3-4 games where I was playing Mercy, and I ended up pulling out my gun and killing the damn turret myself, because "Well, if none of you assholes are going to do it, I guess it's my job." So sick of hearing "Molten Core!" over and over again because idiots keep charging straight in and getting turreted to death instead of taking a minute to scout it out and destroy it.

That's easier said than done on console when the turrent can aim at you instantly but it takes you a while to acquire your target because you're using a controller. Honestly, the damage output isn't really a problem with Torbjorn, it's everything else.

That's easier said than done on console when the turrent can aim at you instantly but it takes you a while to acquire your target because you're using a controller. Honestly, the damage output isn't really a problem with Torbjorn, it's everything else.

While very true, I feel it would be harder to adjust the everything else for consoles.

Prelude.

Man, you can really tell when the game decides it's time you should lose. I got 3 absolutely horrible games in a row with no one giving a damn about the payload, which pretty much never stopped on defense and, on attack, was moved only by me, as Widowmaker, sitting on it and sniping incoming enemies until the last stretch where people moved it probably just passing by to reach the enemies. I wanted to practice airborne shots with Widow and that's what the game forces me to do.

While very true, I feel it would be harder to adjust the everything else for consoles.

The biggest thing they could do is just increase the time it takes for the turret to lock on so you at least have a chance to fire back. Right now you stick out from a wall by one pixel and it instantly locks onto you.

I think what frustrates me most is that his cooldown starts once he's put the turret down not once it's been destroyed. Combine that with double or triple Torbs and it's next to impossible to get past it.

70 is looking quite possible for me and I've been soloing it since the beginning. Before I thought my limit would be 60, however the 60s have been a lot easier than 50s for sure. I’m up to a 57% w/l and rank 64. It’s strange because back in Quickplay I only had a 52% w/l and in ranked it’s considerably higher. I’m not really that great of a player, however I know how to adapt and switch when needed. I’m pretty efficient at all the meta characters. Furthermore, I’m also one of the first willing to play support. So I believe that plays a significant role in my success. It'll be interesting to see if I can hit 70 or not.

LiK

I still can't believe console players can't post in the official forums. they get all their info from double dippers or console players on the OW subreddit. fucking stupid. linking the accounts should give us access so we can post in the console specific threads since we might experience different issues. Blizzard is so dense.

I still can't believe console players can't post in the official forums. they get all their info from double dippers or console players on the OW subreddit. fucking stupid. linking the accounts should give us access so we can post in the console specific threads since we might experience different issues. Blizzard is so dense.
Really? That's seems really stupid, wow.

The biggest thing they could do is just increase the time it takes for the turret to lock on so you at least have a chance to fire back. Right now you stick out from a wall by one pixel and it instantly locks onto you.

I think what frustrates me most is that his cooldown starts once he's put the turret down not once it's been destroyed. Combine that with double or triple Torbs and it's next to impossible to get past it.

If his cool down started after destroying the turret, he would not be able to replace his turret to new locations to keep it from being immediately targeted which is important for him to be effective. Unless he is given the ability to explicitly destroy his own turret and then wait the timeout period.

I need to see a video of a Torb locking down a point on consoles. Everything I hear makes it sound really terrible but it's hard for me to picture since I've only seen him played on PC.

If his cool down started after destroying the turret, he would not be able to replace his turret which is important for him to be effective. Unless he is given the ability to explicitly destroy his own turret and then wait the timeout period.

I need to see a video of a Torb locking down a point on consoles. Everything I hear makes it sound really terrible but it's hard for me to picture since I've only seen him played on PC.
Anecdotal and it's not a video but I placed my turret in a bush beside the final point on Numbani and literally nothing could kill it. It would just sit there, people would take too long to aim at it because it was in a bush, and then they would get mowed down. Whenever it was in danger I would just Molten Core and it would be fine again.

It's honestly crazy. A single Torb with reasonably competent teammates can hold a point, stacked Torbs is borderline unplayable.

BigDug13

Yes Lucio, Mercy, Zenyatta all build ult charge from their auto health regeneration. This is why the ultimate changes made to Lucio and Mercy are a joke.

Mercy can still rez at will (I can still get rez up in one team fight) and now Lucio and Zenyatta will have their ults more frequently.

So get ready for Heroes that never die while we break it down as we pass into the Iris.

But Zen doesn't have health regen. Shield regen shouldn't provide ult charge otherwise Symmetra can give every character on a team more ult charging ability. Lucio doesn't have an auto health regen. He has to run his heal song which is a heal cast on himself just like soldier, Mei, bastion so of course it boosts ult charge.

The real head scratcher which was probably an oversight Is that Reaper did not see a reduction in ult generation speed and yet now gains ult charge from the souls he collects.

This. Changing the lock-on time would make it incredibly easy to peek-n-poke.

I wonder if removing hero stacking in Comp kind of solves this problem without the need for the damage nerf. A singular turret in its current state isn't that big of a deal, but it's enough of a deal that it can help close avenues for flanking.

I had a killer round with Pharah yesterday on Hollywood Attack. They had a Torb and a Bastion that I just kept putting the hurt on. I just had one of those games where you can really feel your aim, you know? Dropping the turret on the moving platform without missing a rocket kind of game. Felt good man. We still lost because no one pushed the point and they had a Winston there to counter the lightweights (Pharah included) from physically being on the point.

Also, question/concern for the console folks, the Dead Zone fix in the last update: did this totally fuck you up?

I felt like there used to be a glide to aiming, where I would push the stick just so and it would slide to a stop. I got used to this and stiffened up my sensitivity. Ever since the update, I've been playing pretty badly. Missing hooks I know I shouldn't miss, taking an extra Tracer clip to kill someone, just horrible Pharah life, that kind of thing.

I bumped my sensitivity up by about double and I've already had a marked improvement toward being normal* again. Has anyone else experienced this?

Normal being shit-tier garbage still.

If his cool down started after destroying the turret, he would not be able to replace his turret to new locations to keep it from being immediately targeted which is important for him to be effective. Unless he is given the ability to explicitly destroy his own turret and then wait the timeout period.
They could make it so pressing shit again retrieves the turret, allowing you to place it again after a brief cooldown.

xaosslug

instead of straight up nerfing Torb's turret why don't they make it so that the more Torbs/Bastions/Symms you have in a match the less damage their turret (form, in Bastion's case) does? I think that would be a really organic way to reduce hero stacking (since you will still be able to do it in QP)

i wonder if doing something like that would be difficult...?

Make it so he can reposition his turret freely then. Pressing shift again lets him pick up the turret and put it down somewhere else.

this would actually be amazing + hilarious... seeing Torbs running around hefting their turret... xD

I think a good compromise would be that if the turret is over a certain amount of health (say 75%) then Torb can destroy it and build a new one without a cooldown, that way he can still move it about tactically but the player has to be more mindful of where they put it. Also stops players deliberately destroying their turret just to get it back to full health.

instead of straight up nerfing Torb's turret why don't they make it so that the more Torbs/Bastions/Symms you have in a match the less damage their turret (form, in Bastion's case) does? I think that would be a really organic way to reduce hero stacking (since you will still be able to do it in QP)

i wonder if doing something like that would be difficult...?
That's not organic, that's roundabount and the whole reason stacking isn't balanceable.

Torb is pretty well balanced solo, his problems only really show up when you introduce multiples. Forcing down one turret is easy enough, but doing it when there's 2 others ALSO firing at you is basically impossible. 4 Torbs on Hanamura B is the sort of thing that straight-up haunts me. The constant screams of MOLTEN COOOOOOORE...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Aw yeah.

I really don't know if it's just people not giving a damn in PTR.

But goddamn mei laying it down with constant blizzards is the best. Even on attack.

BigDug13

It's also easier to wiggle back and forth behind a wall and shoot without taking too much damage from the turret since Console seems to use some form of acceleration.

Probably because nobody would be able to aim at others if we could instantly juke back and forth like PC can yet Torb wasn't balanced for our worse movement and controls until now.

30% may be a bit too much of a nerf with the one hero limit also coming but we will see.

Anbec7

People are saying Mei got nerfed because they fixed the hitbox issue that was causing head shots when you weren't even hitting their head. Same for Hanzo.

Oh well.. I usually really try to aim to the head so I think it will not affect me.
I was thinking they nerfed something related to her freeze abilities

D.Va

Neo Member
Just curious, what are your experiences with adding random people as friends? I think I've sent out about 9 and 4 of them accepted. We rarely play and we rarely speak... do you think it's just a matter of me sucking it up and messaging them first? lol

Reinhardts that charge out of a Zarya ultimate instead of putting their shield up. COWARDS. The kind of person that push the women and children out of the way to get on a rescue boat when the Cruise Liner is sinking. The kind of person that parks in the last available disabled spot.

LOL.

70 is looking quite possible for me and I've been soloing it since the beginning. Before I thought my limit would be 60, however the 60s have been a lot easier than 50s for sure. I’m up to a 57% w/l and rank 64. It’s strange because back in Quickplay I only had a 52% w/l and in ranked it’s considerably higher. I’m not really that great of a player, however I know how to adapt and switch when needed. I’m pretty efficient at all the meta characters. Furthermore, I’m also one of the first willing to play support. So I believe that plays a significant role in my success. It'll be interesting to see if I can hit 70 or not.

Dang. Are you on PC? Let's play I've been on a losing streak since my first game out of placement.
I swear it's not because I'm bad.

People are saying Mei got nerfed because they fixed the hitbox issue that was causing head shots when you weren't even hitting their head. Same for Hanzo.

u7ojilbl.jpg

Borden

Neo Member
I don't think Torb needs to be buffed on consoles. His turret goes down pretty quick, teams/players just choose not to deal with it. Blizzard shouldn't be focusing on making the game better for a bunch of lone wolf, K/D only players. The amount they are forcing team play is part of what makes the game good.

The problem was only with stacks and that is being addressed.

Veelk

Banned
Torb, by himself, is a pain in the ass to deal with, but otherwise manageable. I usually use D.va, so countering him isn't a big issue. The only time it's a problem is when he has Molten Core. I would bring his Turret down close to zero, and then he'd get an insane instant buff while renewing his armor. At that point, I usually die because between the damage I've sustained while firing and the new damage I'm sustaining now. Which isn't a super huge deal because if my teammates are anything close to competent, they can finish off the damaged Turret. If not, I just do it on the next go around, where he doesn't have his ult to save him.

Molten Core is probably the worst ult in the game. It doesn't in any way change how a torb plays or gives a new attack, it's literally just a super mode that resets any progress you've made to killing that character. Every other ult offers something new for a given character to do. Torb is just "oh, I've been outplayed? Well, fuck you, this isn't even my final form". It's just super uncreative and lacks any necessarily skill to pull off effectively.

Stacked Torbs is simply a cancer though. When they've effectively positioned themselves, they go from being an annoying but a legitimate threat to Sisyphusian task. Because even if you kill one, the others will kill you, and they spawn right by the payload ending platform, so by the time you show up, they've already rebuild their Turret. And that's assuming they don't instantly undo any work you did by Molten Coring.

I appreciate the nerd their getting in terms of damage, but I feel all they really need is to not instantly fully revive their health. He already has a repair function, his ult can add armor to his Turret, but let the damage I've done stay until he gets off his ass to repair it. Giving his turrets a shorter range woukd help too, because snipers are supposed to be his other counter and that doesn't work when the room is so small that they lock into them no matter how they come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom