• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Your individual performance is based on how you do, as that character, on that map vs the entire communities average with that character, on that map. I believe. So, gold medals and personal bests don't mean as much.

Well, I'm rank 43, I already know there are lots of people better than me. I just wish there was some way to know what I have to do to rank up. I feel like I put in my best ever effort and got jack shit for it. This is why competitive sucks.

Nimby

Banned
Mercy's ult charge got nerfed right? Can't say I've noticed, I still have revive all the time. D.Va is a massive tank now, and I build so much ult just pocketing her.

Kysen

Mercy's ult charge got nerfed right?

I've definitely noticed it. I had some games yesterday where I had a full team wipe and just as I was about to rush in and rez I realized I am a few % short. I can remember 3 incidents like this, frankly it sucks.

hesido

I think Symmetra's primary magnetic beam's distance is shortened.

And D.VA, stack'em high. Stack'em high and win those zone attacks (A-B or capture center) because her ultimate is now ridiculous. It's hard to counter in defense of the zone, because it can clear the zone and keep on capturing, all the while firing her pesky shots. So two or at most 3 D.Va's with ultimates are pretty much any team needs to win the attacks when the timing is done right.

Nimby

Banned
I've definitely noticed it. I had some games yesterday where I had a full team wipe and just as I was about to rush in and rez I realized I am a few % short. I can remember 3 incidents like this, frankly it sucks.

There's a few times that happened, but in most games it feels the same for me.

And apparently Torbjorn still gives console players trouble, our Torb had close to 50 elims on Hanamura. I don't know how he did it, they were just really uncoordinated.

Jarate

Banned
Well, I'm rank 43, I already know there are lots of people better than me. I just wish there was some way to know what I have to do to rank up. I feel like I put in my best ever effort and got jack shit for it. This is why competitive sucks.

There's always 1 common factor in the games you play

Honestly, you arent supposed to rank up for just playing the game more, you rank up by playing better. If you are better then your rank says, then you should effectively win more then 50% of your matches and also get rewarded for being the best player on your team.

Ivan 3414

When do you usually use his secondary fire?

I'm using it towards the beginning of the match, usually on defense before offense starts making a push. With the orb of discord you really take people out quickly. As long as you keep your distance Zenyatta's secondary fire is really good. Definitely overrated right now.

Jarate

Banned
there's also other individual facotrs like if your team was heavily favored and if your team had a larger stack on it.

I think there were a lot of issues with initial rankings because 10 game sis not a good sample size, but ive noticed it's gotten a lot better as of late

Rad-

Finally put some more time into the buffed heroes (PS4):

McCree: Yeah he's pretty damn good. He's pretty much Widowmaker-lite while still being good in closer range as well.

D.Va: Huge buff. She actually is great now and also quite annoying to fight against if you keep switching the shield on and off.

Zen: First game playing with him I went 34-2 while still putting a good amount of healing. He was already good I thought but now you don't get as many random easy deaths as earlier. Straightly put he's amazing now and if you have Reinhardt and Zarya in your team he becomes the best hero in the game.

Also played some Hanzo... He's really rubbish now lol. I don't see any reason to play him over McCree. Well scattershot is still great but it's just one ability.

Ramirez

Your individual performance is based on how you do, as that character, on that map vs the entire communities average with that character, on that map. I believe. So, gold medals and personal bests don't mean as much.

So does actively adapting to a situation hurt your rank? Like if I play 3 characters over the course of a game, am I not getting full rank possibility because of not sticking to one character and beating the average? Seems like a terrible way to judge how good someone is.

Think I'll just get my Ana thirst fulfilled in QP. Really enjoy playing her, but in a competitive environment she's far too risky of a pick.

I thought this POTG was pretty funny considering I put him/her asleep lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRsyw47jJ8

Although, I'm not sure what qualified it as POTG as there was nothing even remotely outstanding about it.
I love how in your POTG, your Junkrat got a quad right in front of you lol. It said you got lifesaver and there was a high noon going off so you probably got it for putting a shield on your Rein, but still dumb that your Junkrat didn't get it. They really need to look at the system again and rework it.

Prelude.

So, regarding Ana's darts, there's actually an explanation as to why she only uses one type of dart in the game and why it can both heal and damage. At the SDCC panel they explained that when she's not working solo, her team is injected with anti-venom, otherwise she has separate darts, as shown in the last comic.

How does one play a good Ana?

By having good teammates to match. If you have a decent aim but can't land shit because your teammates keep moving erratically, it's on them.

Also, know your abilities and their uses. Sleep Dart stops ults in their tracks, bio nade all but guarantees victory in single combat against anyone but tanks and is also your main tool for healing - Yes, use your nade for heals, THEN the rifle.

Only use your ult on tanks - Preferably Reinhardt. Anything else is a waste IMO.

Source: I've been Maining Ana the past week with a high win rate and getting Gold heals against Zens and Lucios.

finalflame

Man, I didn't play the game for 2 weeks due to other stuff going on and now coming back I am complete trash =( super demotivating, sigh.

She would need to hit 71.2% of her shots to equal out to Mercy. Not a comment on anything, just the number to help the discussion.
Yeah, I don't think 70% accuracy is too much to ask considering her very generous hit boxes. That doesn't even factor in grenade healing either, which is 100hp on hit and double healing for a few seconds.

A capable Ana will out heal a Mercy, she just has a higher skill ceiling.

How is it fucking possible for a team of players to watch a Reindhardt on their team march forward through a choke point with his shield, without a single on of them falling in behind the covered area to provide support fire?

How do these people put their pants on in the morning? Do they have private nurses to wipe their asses for them? How do they function in society if they lack the basic situational awareness for literally the most simple ability combination in the history of videogames?

Borden

Neo Member
So does actively adapting to a situation hurt your rank? Like if I play 3 characters over the course of a game, am I not getting full rank possibility because of not sticking to one character and beating the average? Seems like a terrible way to judge how good someone is.
The "information" I provided on the individual performance aspect was from reading posts on here. So, I have no credible source to provide you with whether or not this is actually how your rank is determined.

I'm not sure exactly how the game/Blizzard/Battlenet/whatever uses your stats. My guess is that switching characters probably does hurt you. But it might be a per second type of thing too. Either way, if you switching characters leads to your team winning that will net you more ranking gain than if you lose, obviously.

I think a players stats vs the community average is a decent way to decide individual performance. The exact execution of it is a different story. Just from a personal note, I've noticed that I seem to drop rank faster when I switch characters but usually when I switch characters it seems to hurt my ranking in a loss more. But that might be a placebo effect too.

Nimby

Banned
How does one play a good Ana?

Stay in the back-line and heal your front-line. Try not to make yourself an easy target for flanking Genji's and Tracer's though.

Nade is useful to heal yourself and others. If everyone is grouped up (allies and enemies), enemies won't be able to heal and your team can pick them off easier.

Combo your ult with a very strong character or a good ult. Genji's Dragonblade is probably the best, and Roadhog and Reinhardt are good to. Genji Ult + Ana Ult is maximum wombo, that shit is scary, Genji can wipe the whole team by himself.

Sleep-dart to stop high-noons and other damaging enemies. Ana can kill (or almost kill) 200 HP characters by putting them to sleep, throwing her nade at them, shooting them when they wake up, and melee-ing them.

Vitanimus

How is it fucking possible for a team of players to watch a Reindhardt on their team march forward through a choke point with his shield, without a single on of them falling in behind the covered area to provide support fire?

How do these people put their pants on in the morning? Do they have private nurses to wipe their asses for them? How do they function in society if they lack the basic situational awareness for literally the most simple ability combination in the history of videogames?

the worst when your reinhardt just casually charges into the enemy team for absolutely no reason at all
jRKLl0x.gif

L1 should've been the default jump on consoles tbh

None of the things mapped to L1 require aim while pressing the button, and being able to jump while aiming, shooting, etc is a game changer. I was doing Lucio hoops on Ilios and people had no idea how to counter it, lol.

xaosslug

i think a cool way to nerf Pharah could be she can only shoot while in the air. xD

and in comp they should make it be whomever has better stats as a certain character they can kick someone that chooses said character, maybe?

Other than Uncharted 3, this game has the best representation of the arabic language I've ever heard. Can't believe how they totally nailed Ana's egyptian accent.

Prelude.

It has to be a complete mistake getting nano boosted when playing as mei. Am I supposed to rush up to the enemy team and hope i can land perfect icecicle headshots while also freezing them too?
It's probably a mistake, sometimes someone just gets between your dart and your target.
I nano boosted a Hanzo today.

It can also be used defensively, since a boosted Mei is still taking less damage than a regular Mei so it's better than nothing if no one's around to defend the point, but still.

i think a cool way to nerf Pharah could be she can only shoot while in the air. xD

Pharah doesn't need a nerf though, she's perfectly fine. The only reason why she was so heavily used beforehand is that her counters sans 76 weren't all that good in general, but now there's the buffed McCree and Ana as well to counter her.

and in comp they should make it be whomever has better stats as a certain character they can kick someone that chooses said character, maybe?

How do you determine who has "better stats" then? Sure, for an offense character that's pretty simple, damage done/kills/final blows are easy to track, but what do you do for supports or tanks?
A Lucio who has better healing stats is not necessarily a better Lucio than one with lower ones - perhaps the one with the lower healing stats knows when to switch to speed boost better, for instance. Same goes for instance for a Reinhardt - more damage blocked doesn't necessarily mean he is better at tanking, perhaps he's just one of those Reinhardts who have their shield up all the time and aren't strategically using it, or do nothing but shield.
Do you take average win quote? Would that really be fair, though? Someone preventing you to play a character just because they won more often with that character? Note the fact that Overwatch is not a single player game, but a team game - someone winning more often playing a hero does not necessarily mean they are better at playing that hero than someone else.

I don't think it's possible to determine who is better at playing a specific character through a numerical way, unless it's a massive difference in metrics.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You know i don't really want to introduce even more chance for toxicity in the community.

Yeah i get it, some people just aren't very good, and I'll admit to sometimes being snide about it in chat because i can be petty as fuck especially after a frustrating loss, but I've really just taken to biting my lip except for making polite suggestions for team comp. More often than not they change which is nice, but if they don't whatever, and sometimes even if they changed we lose also.

Sometimes you're just out played, but there's no need to make it worse time for everyone involved and making people be elitist, forcing people off characters because they believe they can play it better, is just going to encourage toxic behavior even more.

You just gotta take your lumps sometimes. Just focus on improving yourself and play according to your team and opposition, because it's the only thing you can control.

X-Frame

Ultimate combo'ing is such an awesome feeling when it works. As Zarya I fired my ultimate, then Genji used his and then Ana shot Genji with her Nano Boost and it was a massacre.

Then another game I was D.Va and I called out that my Ult was ready, and so did Zarya, Ana, and Soldier. Once everyone's was ready Zarya led off and then I shot my mech and everyone's Ultimate just went off like fireworks. Amazing!

Antiwhippy

Ultimate combo'ing is such an awesome feeling when it works. As Zarya I fired my ultimate, then Genji used his and then Ana shot Genji with her Nano Boost and it was a massacre.

Then another game I was D.Va and I called out that my Ult was ready, and so did Zarya, Ana, and Soldier. Once everyone's was ready Zarya led off and then I shot my mech and everyone's Ultimate just went off like fireworks. Amazing!

Honestly kinda of a waste though. :p Genji should be able to take out everyone in a blackhole with dragon blade even without the boost.

Ertai

Got another voice line from Tracer which i hadn't heard before: killing Widowmaker feels good.

Also played a attack round on Anubis, we managed to defend the 2nd point so when we attacked we quickly captured point 1 and kept throwing ourselves at point 2 to no avail. So in the dying seconds, this happens. Love the D.va buff, i think the end of the match could have turned out quite different if i still took damage from the ultimate.

Prelude.

And then two seconds later:
"Helden sterben nicht."

xaosslug

Pharah doesn't need a nerf though, she's perfectly fine. The only reason why she was so heavily used beforehand is that her counters sans 76 weren't all that good in general, but now there's the buffed McCree and Ana as well to counter her.

How do you determine who has "better stats" then? Sure, for an offense character that's pretty simple, damage done/kills/final blows are easy to track, but what do you do for supports or tanks?
A Lucio who has better healing stats is not necessarily a better Lucio than one with lower ones - perhaps the one with the lower healing stats knows when to switch to speed boost better, for instance. Same goes for instance for a Reinhardt - more damage blocked doesn't necessarily mean he is better at tanking, perhaps he's just one of those Reinhardts who have their shield up all the time and aren't strategically using it, or do nothing but shield.
Do you take average win quote? Would that really be fair, though? Someone preventing you to play a character just because they won more often with that character? Note the fact that Overwatch is not a single player game, but a team game - someone winning more often playing a hero does not necessarily mean they are better at playing that hero than someone else.

I don't think it's possible to determine who is better at playing a specific character through a numerical way, unless it's a massive difference in metrics.

eh, her best counter was Torb, and since he's nerfed... now what? >_>

and I'm sure Blizz can figure out some way to calculate it all. I mean isn't the way they calculate how much rank up you receive from how you played on that map vs. other peeps who played that character, or something?

You know i don't really want to introduce even more chance for toxicity in the community.

Yeah i get it, some people just aren't very good, and I'll admit to sometimes being snide about it in chat because i can be petty as fuck especially after a frustrating loss, but I've really just taken to biting my lip except for making polite suggestions for team comp. More often than not they change which is nice, but if they don't whatever, and sometimes even if they changed we lose also.

Sometimes you're just out played, but there's no need to make it worse time for everyone involved and making people be elitist, forcing people off characters because they believe they can play it better, is just going to encourage toxic behavior even more.

You just gotta take your lumps sometimes. Just focus on improving yourself and play according to your team and opposition, because it's the only thing you can control.

i don't believe it would be toxic, it would just be the way it is, so accept it or whine or whatever. I mean sometimes peeps CAMP characters, match after match, and they're not really playing them well, and that's not helping. I feel like character bumping would be OK.

it would be no hard feelings, just the way it is.

It's pretty fun and satisfying but overdoing it can put the team in a pretty bad spot, depending on the situation.

Antiwhippy

Also can i just say that roadhog has been a little ridiculous after the patch?

I feel like i get whole hog up after every half minute.

Also i discovered that it's a great counter to nano boost actually. Got boosted? How about you just be really far from everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom